• Published 28th Jan 2012
  • 8,052 Views, 252 Comments

No Matter How Dark - Picardy Third



Attacks and destruction in Ponyville occur on top of Twilight's recent incidents of memory loss

  • ...
24
 252
 8,052

Crime and Punishment

Chapter 9
Crime and Punishment

“You were in press conference?!” Twilight barked at the Princess. “A press conference?!”

“I am sorry that I could not come to your aid, Twilight.” Celestia said softly, “But had I not gone to defend you, then the truth about your condition could have been revealed to the public.”

“My friends almost died, Princess.” Twilight said incredulously.

“I am sorry, Twilight. All I can do is ask your forgiveness.” Celestia said.

Twilight huffed one more time and closed her eyes. Try as she might, she could not stay mad at the princess. It could be her motherly-like presence in Twilight’s life or the fact that she rarely ever gave reason to be angry, but Twilight simply fizzled out whenever she got into situations like this, even since her childhood.

“I don’t think I’m going to go back to Ponyville.” Twilight said. “It’s too risky.”

“I am sorry. I should not have let you go.” The Princess admitted.

“Lesson learned.” Twilight replied. “I am going to return to my room.”

Celestia watched Twilight walk out of the throne room with a heavy heart. She left the throne room in the other direction and found a window to watch the sunset from. As the sun descended, she could feel the pull on her magic. After performing the task of raising and lowering the sun for millennia, she hardly had to put any effort into it, to the point that she really did it without thinking.

“Good morning, sister.” Luna called as she descended from her room.

“It is evening, Luna.” Celestia replied.

“Not in a joking mood tonight, Celestia?” Luna asked lightly.

“Hardly.” Celestia replied.

“Pray, what consumeth thy thoughts upon this eve?” Luna asked, switching back into her old manner of speaking for a sentence.

“Well, presently, it is deciphering that dialect you insist on using around me sometimes.” Celestia said, continuing to watch the sun.

“It is Twilight, yes?” Luna asked, dropping the ancient manner of speaking, “I am going to assume we are no closer to fixing the situation.”

“And I am going to assume you already know the answer to that.” Celestia replied flatly.

“You are truly not your usual self, sister.” Luna observed, “This curse of Twilight’s has completely overtaken you.”

“Twilight has always been more than just a student, Luna.” Celestia recited. “This has affected me more than you know… perhaps more than you can possibly realize.”

“Twilight is a wonderful pony.” Luna said, “’Tis only sensible that you should have taken a liking to her.”

“It’s so much more than that, though.” Celestia replied. “Before your return, Twilight lived here in the castle. She was my protégée, but you have heard this before.”

“Do continue, sister.” Luna said, “It will do your mind service to speak without restraint.”

“Very well.” Celestia agreed. She took a moment to gather herself, during which time Luna joined her at the large open window.

“When Twilight was only a filly, I recall she had applied to the school of gifted unicorns. However, she had a little trouble on the entrance exam. We have kept the same entrance exam for… hundreds of years.”

“Give the student one minute to craft a spell that will save them from certain death?” Luna asked casually.

“My goodness, you were gone for a long time.” Celestia observed. Luna shrugged.

“No, the exam is much more… humane now. We ask the student to hatch a dragon egg.” Celestia said.

“That makes much more sense!” Luna exclaimed.

“Twilight could not do it, and as I was told, she was about to fail the exam, but the most miraculous event occurred!” Celestia recalled, then changed her tone slightly, “I was taking a stroll through town when a sonic rainboom tore through the sky above. As you know, sonic rainbooms not only create a dazzling light, but it can have strange effects on the landscape, magic, and even ponies themselves.”

“Not to mention they’re loud.” Luna commented.

“Yes, I’m sure they function as very effective alarm clocks.” Celestia said, then chuckled. “Well, to Twilight, the sonic rainboom managed to trigger her magical potential, and she went out of control. She transformed everypony in the room into various objects, including her parents!”

“Did the egg hatch?”

“Not only did it hatch, but the dragon inside grew exponentially and broke through the roof of the building. The dragon is who we now know as Spike.” Celestia told, “I recognized her potential immediately. From that point on, she was my personal student. She lived in the castle and studied hard every day.”

“You mentioned her thirst for knowledge.” Luna commented.

“Insatiable.” Celestia agreed, “I rarely found her without a book in her hooves.”

“Doesn’t she read with her magic?” Luna interrupted.

“Pardon?”

“When Twilight reads… it is with magic, not her hooves.” Luna observed.

Celestia sighed, “’Tis an expression, dear sister.”

“Oh.”

“I have had many a student undergo magical training under my wing, but never has a student also been my friend.” Celestia said, then corrected herself, “No… she is more than that… she is like a daughter to me.”

“Oh… Celestia, this makes so much sense!” Luna suddenly proclaimed.

“I… should hope so.” Celestia said. “It is not a complicated story.”

“Celestia, you were so hesitant to bring Twilight to the castle.” Luna explained, “You were just having trouble accepting Twilight’s fate. The mere thought of taking Twilight from her home sickened you to the point of endangering others… Celestia, I understand now.”

“She is the closest I will ever come to having a daughter, Luna…” Celestia lamented, “Considering we… cannot bear our own.”

“Do not speak of it, sister.” Luna stopped her. “We accept our fates regardless of what hardships we may bear in response.”

“And I do, Luna.” Celestia said, “Nothing will ever keep me from my responsibilities to this land.”

“I have learned my lesson about loyalty. If you feel it necessary, I could try sending you to the sun for a thousand years.” Luna said with a little smile. “Maybe you’ll learn something.”

“That would just kill me.”

“No, really?” Luna replied.

“I’m not sure how I feel about you learning sarcasm from Spike.” Celestia finally commented, smirking.

“He just makes it seem so fun!” Luna said happily.

“Of all things to develop in the last thousand years, the manner of speech is possibly the most drastic… if not the least welcome.” Celestia said.

“It has been quite the adjustment.” Luna admitted.

“Your highness?” A male voice called from behind the princesses. They both turned away from the window they were standing at and looked at their visitor.

“Ah, very nice to see you.” Celestia greeted. “I assume you’re looking for Twilight?”

“I am, yes.” The pony replied.

“Well, she’s down the opposite hall, second to last door on the right.” Celestia said, pointing behind the pony.

“Thank you, your majesty.” The pony said, then walked away, his armor clanging against the magically polished floor of the throne room.

“He is quite handsome.” Luna said, nodding her head.

“Indeed.” Celestia agreed, “I must retire to my chambers. I wish you well on your guard of the night. I will see you in the morning.”

“Rest easy, my sister.”
***
***

The Great Goatsby: A classic tale of bits, high class, and murder. Twilight flipped the pages every half minute or so, reading quickly. She had already read this novel about fifteen times, but the bookshelf in her room had a limited array of titles to choose from, and she was in the mood for some light reading.

I wonder if Rarity’s read this. Twilight thought, I think she would like it.

Twilight continued reading casually, not really absorbing all the information. Rainbow Dash, on the other hand… Twilight chuckled and shook her head, this book may be a little over her head.

The sound of a hoof knocking on her door forced Twilight to look up from her book. She quickly creased the corner of the page for lack of a proper bookmark and walked over to the door. When she opened it, her heart skipped a beat in excitement and she let out a happy gasp.

“Shining Armor!” Twilight shouted in surprise and hugged the larger stallion. Her brother chuckled and hugged back a little more laid back. He was fully clad in his royal guard armor, helmet and all.

“It’s good to see you, Twiley.” Shining said, “How are you?”

“I’ve been better.” Twilight replied, chuckling at the mere thought of being able to sum up her entire predicament in that one phrase.

“So I’ve heard.” Shining said, “And you were mad at me when I didn’t tell you about my wedding.”

“Heh…” Twilight laughed nervously, giving a cheeky smile, “Speaking of, where is Cadence?”

“Oh, she’s… not feeling well… yeah.” Shining said, smiling to cover up the unusual answer.

“That’s too bad, I’d like to see her.” Twilight pouted.

“We’ll have to have you over sometime.” Shining said, “Now that you’re in Canterlot.”

Twilight just smiled and shook her head, then turned to face her room again. “Come on in, there’s not much to see, but we can visit for a little bit.”

The Great Goatsby, huh?” Shining asked, noticing the book on the floor, “Didn’t you read that when you were eleven?”

“It’s one of my favorites.” Twilight admitted, “I thought that I’d read it again as long as I’m here.”

“Makes sense.” Shining said, removing his helmet and letting out his blue mane.

“Why are you in full armor?” Twilight asked, “I thought you only needed to wear it when you were on duty.”

“I just got back from a soldier’s funeral.” Shining said.

Twilight’s ears drooped and she looked down guiltily.

“A young stallion named Wiley. Seems he and his partner were assigned a mission in the Everfree forest, and they had a bad run-in with a manticore.” Shining Armor shook his head, “Poor colt.”

“A manticore, huh?” Twilight asked, feigning ignorance. “They… they’re fierce.”

“Twilight.” Shining said flatly. Twilight looked at her brother with big eyes and read his expression. Like the books she so dearly loved, he displayed all emotions up front, and Twilight knew that Shining wasn’t buying her innocence at all.

“I am captain of the royal guard and you are my sister. You really think Celestia would keep this from me?” Shining asked.

“I would have hoped she would have…” Twilight muttered.

“Besides, I knew Wiley was top of his class when it came to care of hostile creatures.” Shining added.

“Oh… that may make things problematic for Celestia’s story…” Twilight said. “Look, Shining, it really wasn’t my fault, and I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!” Twilight pleaded.

“It doesn’t matter now, Twilight. I don’t blame you for Wiley’s death. I just don’t want it to happen again.”

“Me neither, Shining.” Twilight said. She sniffed and leaned forward to hug her brother tightly, making sure the embrace carried through what she was feeling: remorse, gratitude for her brother’s understanding, and hopelessness. She felt a lot of hopelessness.

“Is that why you are dressed as a prisoner?” Shining asked.

“You are familiar?” Twilight asked, letting him go and pulling a bit on the thick fabric that covered her body.

“I invented the suit.” Shining said.

You did?!” Twilight asked incredulously, “I could have sworn Celestia did.”

“No, and it is not one of my prouder accomplishments, but she is quite fond of them.” Shining said, “Sometimes I get the feeling she thinks she owns our family.”

“We’d better warn mom and dad.” Twilight joked.

“I invented these suits to keep the most dangerous unicorns in Equestria locked down.” Shining said, “I never anticipated to see my own sister wearing one.”

“At least I am not in Alcoltraz.” Twilight said.

“Let’s be thankful for that.” Shining said, “Do you have a plan?”

“A plan?” Twilight asked.

“A way to end this… a cure… anything?” Shining asked.

“Shining, I hardly understand what this curse is, much less a way to cure it.”

“Well that’s no good…” Shining sighed.

“Well… I don’t know… something happened while I was in Ponyville. It may be a solution, but I’m not sure.” Twilight suddenly recalled.

“Oh? And what is this?”

“When I was… out of myself... something happened when I saw Rainbow Dash. A spark sort of went off, and I returned to the world for a split second.”

“This is good!” Shining said hopefully.

“But, it was so fleeting… so random. I don’t know if I’ll be able to replicate it.”

“But it’s a start.” Shining said, “And who is this Rainbow Dash?”

Twilight suddenly felt silly for not having told her own brother about being in a relationship. She could no longer give him crap for the wedding, that’s for sure.

“My, uh… marefriend.” Twilight said quickly. Shining barked out a laugh, making Twilight turn and glare at him.

“You think maybe we’re just bad communicators?” Shining asked his sister.

“I think that’s accurate.” Twilight agreed. The siblings shared in a laugh together and enjoyed the short distraction from dismal times. Shining then smiled at Twilight and rubbed the back of his head with a hoof.

“How about we go for lunch tomorrow in Canterlot? My treat.” Shining asked.

“That sounds wonderful.” Twilight replied.
***
***

Through the castle the pair walked the next day until they were out the front doors and into the streets. There were many different restaurants around town, but most of them were five-star quality establishments that had reservations of up to a month. There were only a few café-style lunch places, one of which Twilight and Shining sat down and ordered some appetizers.

“So, tell me about this Rainbow Dash.” Shining said, “I need to know if she meets my expectations.”

“Shining!” Twilight scolded, “She’s fantastic. She’s very athletic, very energetic… so motivated. I’ve never met a pony so dedicated.”

“Athletic? How are you two together?” Shining asked with a chuckle.

“You tell me.” Twilight replied, “I’m the luckiest mare in the world.”

“Sounds like it. So, earth pony?” Shining asked.

“Nope. Pegasus.” Twilight said, then added for the wow factor, “And future Wonderbolt.”

“Is that right?” Shining asked, “The Wonderbolts are pretty exclusive.”

“Dash has lived her whole life training for the Wonderbolts. She’s definitely good enough to be one of them.”

“And she knows about your situation?” Shining asked.

“She knew before anypony else.” Twilight replied.

“She seems like somepony really special, Twilight.” Shining said.

“Yeah, she really is.” Twilight said happily.

“Well, as far as relationships go, I have a bit of news about Cadence and I.” Shining said.

“Oh? What is this?” Twilight asked curiously.

“Well… Cadence is pregnant. We’re going to have a foal!” Shining said happily. Twilight’s face lit up upon hearing this and she gasped.

“Shining!!!” Twilight said giddily. “That’s fantastic! Congratulations!”

“Thanks, Twiley.” Shining replied humbly.

“How do you feel about that?” Twilight asked, “Happy?”

“Scared.” Shining replied uneasily.

“The captain of the royal guard is scared?” Twilight joked.

“Hey, I was scared on my wedding day too.” Shining replied.

“Oh, you stallions!” Twilight said exasperatedly, “That’s why I prefer mares. Rainbow Dash isn’t scared of anything.”

“Oh, I’m sure she’s scared of at least one thing.” Shining said with a matter-of-fact tone.

“And what could that possibly be?” Twilight asked. “I have seen her kick a manticore and a full-grown dragon in the face.”

“She’s probably scared of losing you.” Shining said. Twilight felt her heart sink and instantly felt guilty. Instead of having a nice, stable relationship with a beautiful mare, Rainbow Dash was stuck in this predicament with… Twilight.

“Yeah… I bet she is.” Twilight admitted.

“Hey, now. Don’t be sad.” Shining said, “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’ve had these same discussions with myself so many times, it’s become tiresome.”

“I tell you what, this just tells you that Rainbow Dash really likes you.” Shining said, “Maybe even loves you.”

“You think?” Twilight asked.

Throb.

“Oh no…” Twilight suddenly said. Shining’s face dropped and he looked at Twilight with concern. Twilight put a hoof to her forehead and closed her eyes, “not now…”

“What’s wrong, Twilight?” Shining asked seriously.

Twilight’s head throbbed again.

“It’s her. The evil me. She’s coming.” Twilight said quickly, “I need to get back to the castle!”

Twilight took off running, and Shining got up to follow her.

“HEY!” A waiter shouted.

“I’ll come back and pay later! This is an emergency!” Shining shouted back. “Twilight! Wait!”

Twilight continued to barrel through town, each throb of her head becoming more and more intense. She could feel her legs beginning to get numb. She wasn’t going to make it. The castle was another few minutes’ run away!

“Twilight!” Shining shouted again.

“Stay away!” Twilight shouted back at her brother. Her head was getting cloudy, she felt as if she were about to pass out.

Twilight made it to the last shop on the edge of Canterlot before the castle before she lost control over her body. As soon as her control was relinquished, she felt her body grind to a halt and turn around.

“No!” Twilight shouted, but it was not heard. Her eyes glowed white and she began to excrete a dark aura around her body. The red scar on her eye pulsed brightly, shining terribly. Shining Armor skidded to a stop a few feet in front of Twilight. Already, a crowd of bystanders was gathering around the scene.

“Get away, ponies!” Twilight shouted, but again it went unheard. “Please!”

“So, this is Canterlot?” Twilight’s evil voice spoke out. Even as she did so, Twilight saw her brother wince and take a step back in fright.

Twilight continued, “I see I’m still wearing this binding jacket. What a bother!” Twilight spoke. Her voice pierced the midday air like a knife pierced butter. All at once, the civilians seemed to stop what they were doing and pay attention.

“Oh well,” Twilight said, walking toward Shining Armor, “That doesn’t mean I can’t have a little fun, does it?”

Shining spoke in a warning tone, “Twilight, I don’t know what you’re planning, bu-OOF!” Twilight turned and bucked Shining in the chest, sending him flying back and into an innocent bystander. The two fell to the ground in a heap before Shining leapt up and ran after his sister, who was about to kick a table into a group of ponies.

“STOP!” Shining shouted, grabbing the table with magic and using it to pin Twilight to the ground. Twilight laughed evilly and glared at Shining with blank eyes and a cocky smile.

“Oh no, whatever shall I do?” Twilight pretended to whine, then she smiled and kicked up the table so hard it forced Shining to release the spell. Twilight used Shining’s temporary distraction to land a hard punch right in his face.

“Shining Armor!!!” Twilight shouted from within.

Shining staggered back and almost recovered, but Twilight was too fast. She zipped over to his side and kicked him in the stomach, hard. Shining collapsed to the ground clutching his stomach and writhing in pain.

“Hey! Stop that!” A civilian shouted from one side of the circle of ponies watching the fight.

“Did you… just tell me to stop?” Twilight asked out loud. She looked down at the ground and caught a glimpse of a serrated knife that had fallen off the table. She casually walked over to the knife and placed a hoof over it. This went unnoticed by the crowd.

“Yeah! What did he do to you?!” The stallion shouted.

“Oh, I’d say the same thing you’re doing right now,” Twilight said, gripping the knife with her hoof, “…existing.”

With a quick motion, Twilight sent the knife flying at the stallion, catching him in the chest. He doubled over and clutched his chest while a mare beside him screamed and caught him.

“NO!” The real Twilight screamed. She tried to will herself back to reality, but was having absolutely no luck.

Twilight kicked her hooves back and kicked another stallion in the face, forcing him to fall to the ground.

“Oops. Didn’t see you there.” Twilight said in her nasty voice. “Oh, I missed this senseless destruction!”

Twilight then ran over to a tent and bucked a support beam, breaking it in half. The tent fell to one side and collapsed, heavy wooden posts falling over and hitting civilians. Twilight then laughed and ran through town, civilians screaming as she did so. The town was in panic, absolutely horrified. The real Twilight sat inside herself and tried to overcome this evil.

Then, Twilight thought she’d try something. She thought about Rainbow Dash. She thought about how Rainbow Dash would be here trying to stop Twilight from causing any more damage. She thought about how Rainbow Dash would comfort Twilight when this is all over. Twilight let the image of Rainbow Dash fill her entire being and a warmth fell over her heart.

Twilight suddenly stopped moving and winced. For a split second, the real Twilight began to show herself. For that brief moment, her eyes faded, her scar stopped pulsing, and she looked normal, but it was so short that it could have easily been mistaken for a glare from the sun.

“GAH!” Twilight shouted in despair. Inside her body, the real Twilight was pushed back from any type of recovery with a mighty force. Evil Twilight snarled and looked around at the crowd. Twilight watched the horrified ponies tremble in a paralyzed fear.

You’re clever. The evil voice said to Twilight. But not clever enough.

Twilight walked over to another tent that was still standing and found where a lantern was hung up on one side. Turning a knob, Twilight lit the lantern and tossed it inside the tent. The fabric caught and within a few seconds, the place was ablaze. Twilight took a few steps back and watched in a terrible mirth as the red-and-white tent went up in flames.

Ponies scrambled around trying to douse the fire, but it was no use. The tent was going to keep burning until it was nothing but smoldering rubble.

Remind you of anything, Twilight? Evil Twilight muttered internally. Twilight watched in horror as the evil continued, you should, considering you did it last time.

“Get out!!!” Twilight screamed.

“Hahaha!” Evil Twilight laughed maniacally. “I am here to stay!”

“No! I will not let you!!!” Twilight screamed from within her head. She then doubled her efforts at conjuring images of Rainbow Dash. She could almost hear Rainbow Dash’s rough voice saying things to her, as if she were right next to her. Twilight thought about Rainbow Dash’s beautiful, vibrant mane. She thought about Rainbow Dash’s magenta eyes, how they were the perfect contrast to her sky blue coat.

No matter what happens, I won’t leave. Rainbow Dash’s voice echoed inside Twilight’s head.

Twilight remembered sitting next to Rainbow Dash on her bed, only seconds before they kissed for the first time. Twilight could remember how her heart raced, how she wanted nothing more than to be with Rainbow Dash, even if she hadn’t yet realized it. She felt that now, too. It was stronger.

I won’t leave. Ever. A wash of warmth enveloped Twilight’s heart, and she felt a brightness that she had not yet felt while under darkness’s influence.

“What the-AAH!” Twilight suddenly screamed out loud. She took a few steps back and grabbed her head in pain, then shook it and looked around at the crowd, her eyes still glowing brightly. From within, Twilight enjoyed a small moment of hope at realizing that this curse did, indeed, have a weakness, and she found it!

I will be back, Twilight. The evil voice spat inside Twilight’s head. And next time, it won’t be so easy for you to weaken me. I am growing stronger by the hour, and soon, I will be unstoppable.

Twilight began to feel feeling returning to her legs and the rest of her body, and after a few seconds of agonizing confusion, Twilight had returned to the world. Her scar had stopped glowing, her eyes were normal again, and there was no dark aura around her.

“Get her!!” A female pony screamed from the crowd.

“What?” Twilight suddenly shouted. She noticed the crowd advancing on her quickly, and she panicked, “Wait, no!”

“Twilight!” Shining Armor suddenly appeared and scooped Twilight up, throwing her on his back. The crowd wasn’t sure whether Shining was taking Twilight or arresting her, so only a small portion of the crowd pursued him.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!” Twilight cried as Shining carried her away.

“Don’t be sorry, Twilight!” Shining shouted back, “But we can worry about that later, right now we need to get you back to the castle!”

“Hey, you’re not taking her to the police!!!” A civilian shouted.

“You don’t say…” Shining muttered as he ran.

“Is your stomach alright?” Twilight shouted in Shining’s ear.

“I’ll be fine. It’s the other citizens we need to worry about!”

Twilight felt dread creep into her body as they ran, the crowd behind them neither gaining nor losing any ground. The castle was now right in front of them.

“I can’t believe this happened…” Twilight muttered.

Shining took Twilight into the castle and quickly entered the throne room, using magic to slam the door behind him. At once, the ponies in pursuit began to slam their hooves against the enormous double doors in anger, wanting to see the crazy pony put to justice.

“What has happened?” Celestia asked from her throne. Shining and Twilight looked up and gulped. “Did you… did Twilight…?”

“Yes, princess.” Shining said, “And at the worst possible time, too.”

“This is not good.” Celestia said. “The general public cannot comprehend the complexity of this situation.”

“Celestia, I’m so sorry… I tried to get back to the castle, I tried!” Twilight shouted, shaking her head rapidly.

“Shh, shh, Twilight, do not apologize.” Celestia said, descending her throne and walking over to where Twilight laid down on the floor.

“Celestia, there are injuries. I need to tend to them.” Shining Armor said.

“Go, Shining, and try your best to diffuse the situation.” Celestia said.

Shining Armor leaned down and nuzzled Twilight’s mane, “Be strong, Twiley.”

Then, he teleported out of the throne room and left Celestia and Twilight alone.

“I wish Rainbow Dash was here…” Twilight muttered.

“I know, Twilight…” Celestia comforted.

“But… Celestia, I think I may have found our solution finally.” Twilight said, and raised her head up to look Celestia in the eyes.

“You have?” Celestia asked excitedly, “Please, tell!”

“Well… I’m not sure what it is exactly…” Twilight said, getting up to her hooves. She began to pace as she spoke, “But the evil entity seems to get weaker whenever I think of Rainbow Dash. The feeling I get in my heart whenever I hear her voice, whenever we’re together… it seems to affect the curse as well.”

“This is wonderful news, Twilight!” Celestia exclaimed. “This may be the answer to our problems!”

“I just wish Queen Terra was still around so I could ask her about this theory…” Twilight said thoughtfully.

“Twilight, my mother is not dead.” Celestia replied, a little surprised that Twilight even had that idea.

“Wait… what?!”

“My mother is alive and well, just as Luna and I are alive. She is very old, but she is well.”

“How is this… I… what? Why have I never seen her??” Twilight asked incredulously.

“She does not reveal herself to the general public. She lives in a humble residence far away, up in the mountains of the western sea.” Celestia said, walking over to a west-facing window. “Keeping to herself and living in peace.”

“Princess Celestia… I don’t want to seem rude, but how could you have not brought this up before??” Twilight asked demandingly, “She could be a huge help in this problem!”

“We… are not on speaking terms.” Celestia muttered, “We never were.”

“That’s a little petty for this, Princess.” Twilight scolded.

“Twilight Sparkle!” Celestia replied, taken aback.

“Princess, I’m sorry, but you have to look past any bad relations with your mother for this one moment!” Twilight said, “We need to visit your mother.”

“You have gotten bolder, Twilight.” Celestia said sternly, “Very well. We will visit the western sea tomorrow.”

“Thank you, Princess.”

“But.” Celestia said, then sighed, “You must hear me out on this. If I ask us to leave, we must leave. You have to trust me. I know my mother.”

“That is fine.” Twilight agreed. “Now… exactly how far is the western sea?”

“If we were to travel by air… most likely 10 hours of flight.” Celestia said.

“Luna made it there and back in a night.” Twilight pointed out.

“Yes, but she was flying much faster than you and I would be travelling,” Celestia said, “Luna does not demonstrate it much, but she is an extremely talented flier.”

“I will have to tell Rainbow Dash that.” Twilight said.

“Anyway, I believe the best way to get to the sea will be to travel by teleportation.” Celestia concluded.

“But, Celestia, even for my brother, something as much as teleporting from here to Ponyville takes a toll on the body. How do you expect me to be able to teleport hundreds of miles in one go?”

“Well you see, Twilight, I am an immortal alicorn with the power of the sun at my disposal.” Celestia said lightly, “But if you feel that the task of teleporting two ponies two thousand miles is too much, we can fly.”

Twilight slapped a hoof on her face and felt a little silly.

“I admit, we will have to teleport in strides, but it will not be a difficult journey.” Celestia said, then darkened her tone, “It is what happens when we get there that I am worried about”
***
***

Twilight and Celestia stood on Celestia’s balcony early the next morning. The pair had just woken up and were committed to making this a productive trip. Twilight looked down at her hooves with unease and sighed.

“Something troubles you.” Celestia pointed out, “What is it?”

“I keep thinking about yesterday… I don’t know how many ponies got hurt because of me. And that one stallion… I got him in the chest with a knife…”

“We shall make sure everything is okay upon our return.” Celestia said, “For now, we must focus on the task at hand.”

“Right.”

“Twilight, being teleported by another is a much different sensation than teleporting yourself. If you feel sick at any of our stops, please let me know.” Celestia warned.

“I’ve never had any troubles with teleporting before, Celestia.” Twilight said confidently.

Celestia smirked, “Very well, then. Let’s be on our way!”

And with that, the pair was gone in the blink of an eye.
***
***

Celestia and Twilight appeared in the middle of a vast field of wild grains.

“Welcome to the great Equestrian Plains.” Celestia said, panting slightly. Off to her side, she heard Twilight vomit into the grass.

“I told you.”

“Shut up.”
***
***

Celestia and Twilight teleported next to the base of the Shear Mountains, where they collected themselves and then travelled to the opposite side of the mountains. Twilight vomited for the second time when they arrived at this location. Their last rest stop was along the edge of the Horseback Canyon, then they teleported to the base of the Western Mountains.

Celestia panted and Twilight laid herself out on the ground, trying to keep herself from getting sick again.

“You certainly weren’t kidding when you said that being teleported was a different sensation…” Twilight muttered.

“It’s okay, we are here now.” Celestia said. “Well… not quite.”

“What do you mean?”

“You see, my mother does not want to be discovered by common ponies, so she has created a powerful field around her house in these mountains that prevents even me from teleporting in.” Celestia said with a twinge of annoyance.

“Are you kidding me?” Twilight exclaimed. “We have to walk up a mountain?”

“That’s right.” Celestia confirmed.

Twilight looked ahead at the path that led up and nodded, “Alright, let’s do this.”

Celestia and Twilight walked for a few minutes in silence, then Twilight started the conversation.

“So, why are you and your mother not on speaking terms?” Twilight asked. Celestia sighed and looked forward with determination.

“My mother was a good queen, but… not a good mom.” Celestia said, “Well… I even doubted her abilities as queen at times.”

“What makes you say that?” Twilight asked.

“My mother is usually fair, but harsh. She is not a pleasant mare.” Celestia said, “She often mistreated Luna and I when she felt the well-being of the populace was at stake.”

“Mistreated?”

“Let us simply say there are things that a filly like me should not have seen at my age.” Celestia said, “And Luna was even younger.”

“Goodness… I suppose I just assumed that your mother would have been this great Alicorn with a wealth of knowledge and kindness.”

“So did I.” Celestia agreed. “But I could not see past the way she dealt with her day-to-day business. It is because of her that I strive to be as just and peaceful as possible.”

“You say she was harsh… in what way?”

“Well… let us talk about this… Curse of Mallumo’s Possession.” Celestia said, “I was far too young to remember, but I am almost certain that my mother did not waste much time before putting Blue Streak to death.”

“Oh my…”

“She was very harsh with her punishments. Prisons were horrible, torturous places. The population feared her.” Celestia said, “Yet she was respected.”

“I understand.” Twilight said.

“This is why I am saying we may need to leave before things heat up. I fear my mother may try to take things into her own hooves.”

“You really think she would kill me?”

“I wouldn’t put it past her.” Celestia said.

Twilight audibly gulped and the two made the rest of the trip in silence. The trail was fairly smooth and did not give the ponies much trouble. Twilight was not used to walking the long distances and was getting very tired, but trucked along with the promise of answers ahead of her.

After a good hour of walking, Twilight and Celestia came upon a small house that seemed to have grown out of the cliff side. Trees completely obscured the house from prying eyes, and one could easily just mistake it as a formation in the trees. A closer examination revealed the true nature of the home, however. The wood was carved beautifully and seemed to flow with the same elegance that the ocean below did.

Celestia approached the house and knocked on the door three times. Twilight was just behind her, very nervous as to what would unfold in the minutes to come.

The door opened, and Twilight was amazed to see the alicorn from the picture looking almost as youthful as she did in the photograph. Queen Terra was glowing with a radiance only comparable to Celestia’s. Terra even stood a good foot taller than Celestia, which intimidated Twilight to some extent. Her green mane flowed as lively as Celestia’s and her coat was a bright white with the smallest hint of blue.

The main difference Twilight noticed that she did not see in the photograph was that Queen Terra’s face was hardened and flat, whereas Celestia’s was bursting with life and joy, even with her serious expression. Twilight could already tell that she would not enjoy this alicorn.

“Celestia.” Queen Terra spoke. Her voice was very low, comparable to Zecora. She addressed her daughter as she would a business acquaintance. “It is good to see you.”

“Hello mother.” Celestia replied in an equally unenthusiastic tone. “This is Twilight Sparkle, a student and dear friend of mine.”

Twilight swelled with pride at being addressed as the princess’s dear friend, but bowed and respectfully spoke to the mare, “It is an honor, Queen Terra.”

“I am no longer queen of this land.” Queen Terra replied, “But I appreciate the sentiment. Please, simply call me Terra.”

“Yes, Terra.” Twilight replied.

“Why is it you have come?” Terra asked.

“I need your help.” Twilight spoke, “I trust you remember the Curse of Mallumo’s Possession?”

Terra’s face showed a hint of distaste at the mention of the curse, “I do, yes.”

“I just have a few questions about… Blue Streak.” Twilight said, trying to remember the name.

“You have read my History of Equestria.” Terra observed.

“I have, yes.” Twilight replied. “A-at least, that section. I wanted to read all of it, but I… lost possession of the book.”

Celestia sniffed once and cleared her throat.

Queen Terra nodded and moved to uncover the doorway, “Please, come in. We can talk in here.”

“Thank you.” Twilight said. She and Celestia filed into the home and waited for Terra to take a seat before continuing. Terra spoke first.

“Blue Streak was a very dear friend of mine.” Terra explained, “His loss was… devastating.”

“I am very sorry.” Twilight said.

“Do not interrupt me.” Terra quickly replied. Twilight stiffened with nervousness and nodded.

“Anyway, what is it you wanted to ask me?” Terra asked. Twilight swallowed and quickly gathered her words.

“Um… did Blue Streak have a significant other? A wife or husband, perhaps?” Twilight asked.

“Do not shame Blue Streak’s name!” Terra exclaimed harshly. Twilight backed up fearfully and looked at Celestia with confusion.

“Times were different then, Twilight.” Celestia said, then turned to her mother, “Mother, it is perfectly fine for a stallion to marry another stallion.”

“Hmph.” Terra huffed, “Such behavior… I say things have gone downhill since you and your sister took the throne.”

“Oh-okay, so wife. Did he have a wife?” Twilight asked quickly to recover the situation.

“He did not.” Terra said, “He found romance to be illogical, and I agree.”

“Yes, well, Celestia and I think that it may have something to do with the cure for Mallumo’s Possession.”

“Ha!” Terra barked, “Mallumo’s possession has no cure, especially something as trivial as petty emotion. What makes you think otherwise?”

“Well, I have been afflicted with The Curse of Mallumo’s Possession.” Twilight said. As the revelation left her lips, she could see Terra’s eyes widen in fear. “And I have made a few discoveries.”

“How long have you been having attacks?” Terra asked, almost desperately.

“A… month?” Twilight said, looking to Celestia for approval.

“Roughly.” Celestia added.

“You are a danger to us all!” Terra exclaimed, then continued darkly, “You have read my book. You know what must be done.”

“I am… trying to avoid that as much as possible.” Twilight said, her heart now beating even faster than it was already.

“Celestia, I expected better of you.” Terra turned to her daughter. “You know the reality of this threat, yet you allow this pony to walk freely!”

“Mother, Twilight does not deserve to die. She is far too much of an asset to Equestria.” Celestia defended.

“You think Blue Streak deserved to die?!” Terra exclaimed, “No pony is above Mallumo’s Possession, not you, not I, and especially not you.” Terra growled, jabbing a hoof in Twilight’s direction.

“M-mother, please, do not do anything drastic.” Celestia said fearfully, moving closer to Twilight’s side.

“And what is that ridiculous outfit you are wearing?” Terra suddenly said accusatively.

“This garment is preventing all of my magic. It was Celestia’s idea.” Twilight said, trying to defend Celestia as much as possible.

“That is useful, but it will not be enough when the curse reaches its full power.” Terra warned, “Your evil self will have magical ability far surpassing any artificial means of protection.”

“Well, then we will have to cure it before then, won’t we?” Twilight said.

“No.” Terra replied darkly.

“Excuse me?” Celestia asked.

“I am guardian of this planet, and I will not allow you to walk freely if it means endangering the ponies that call this their home!” Terra exclaimed. Her horn glowed brightly and Twilight gasped in horror.

“Twilight, run!” Celestia screamed, then ran forward. Terra unleashed a powerful beam of energy in Twilight’s direction, which Celestia intercepted and reduced to nothing with the use of her own magic. Twilight moved to the door and watched as Terra grimaced at Celestia.

“Do not be a fool, Celestia.” Terra spat, “The unicorn must die!”

“But we’ve found the cure!” Twilight pleaded as Terra turned her attention back to her.

“There is no cure!!” Terra screamed, letting loose another beam of energy. Celestia stepped in and took the blow once again, this time struggling a little more with reducing its power. Once the beam had diffused, Celestia bucked Twilight out the front door and ran out.

Twilight felt herself being scooped up and carried away by Celestia, who had opened her wings and taken flight. Twilight’s stomach dropped as they ascended, only hanging on by Celestia’s front hooves.

“YOU ARE A FOOL, CELESTIA!” Terra’s deep voice echoed through the mountainous forest. “YOU KNOW WHAT MUST BE DONE!”

“I’m sorry, Celestia…” Twilight called out as they flew. Celestia only nodded and continued to remove Twilight from the reach of her mother. Once they had gone far enough away from the mountain, Celestia and Twilight teleported away.
***
***

A few stops later, and Celestia and Twilight reached Celestia’s balcony once again. Twilight and Celestia took a few minutes to recover from the journey, during which time Twilight recovered from the slight queasiness and Celestia recovered her energy.

“I… didn’t realize how bad of an idea that was.” Twilight admitted.

“It is okay, Twilight” Celestia replied, “I did not even foresee how terribly that went.”

“I feel kind of bad for her, though.” Twilight said.

“Do explain.” Celestia said flatly, “I’d love to hear it.”

“Well, think about it.” Twilight said, “Blue Streak was a very dear friend to your mother, probably like you are to me. If she found out that all along there was a cure to this madness, then she would know that her friend had died in vain.”

“I… did not think of it that way.” Celestia admitted. “I believe I concur with your fillyfriend, Rainbow Dash. You amaze me.” Celestia said with a smirk.

Twilight digested what Celestia said for a moment.

“Hey! You were spying on me again!”

“Magic mirror!”