• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 622 Views, 22 Comments

Cobalt and Emerald - Cerulean Swirl



Two ponies fall in love.....in the place you'd least expect.

  • ...
2
 22
 622

Chapter One: Cobalt Star

I stuck an eyepiece into my eye and examined the midnight sapphire with extra care. I balanced the sapphire in my hooves and looked deep into the gorgeous gem. I counted the karats.
"AHA!" I exclaimed, and my voice rang out through the gem shoppe.
"There are exactly twenty SIX karats in this midnight sapphire." I said to myself, in a confident voice. I removed my eyepiece and set the midnight sapphire on a tiny purple pillow. I took a tiny glass box and put the pillow with the gem on it inside. I carefully closed the glass box's lid and moved it away from my elbow.
My name is Cobalt Star and I am a natural born geologist/gemologist/miner/jeweler. It's my destiny, and it's what my cutie mark is. I'm especially proud of it. It's four gems, an octagonal emerald, an oval fireheart sunset diamond, a star shaped midnight sapphire, and a raindrop ruby with a violet ribbon swirled under them. Tiny stars glimmer around the gems. My coat is a cobalt shade of blue and my mane and tail are a midnight blue and brilliant white marble and I usually tie it up because it gets in my face. I am a unicorn and I am quite proud of it.
There's really only one problem with me: I'm shy.
In school, the only thing I really spent time with were books, and in fact, I still do.
I don't have a stallion in my life. Just a big thick minerals and gemstones book. I've read it over thirty seven times.
I sometimes have to wear these glasses.
I live in a small house near my job at Ponyville's Gem Shoppe.
I get to make things with the gems I inspect. Sometimes rings, or tiaras. But mostly, I inspect the gems I use. Sometimes ponies will come in and watch me inspect them. My boss says I can sniff out karats like a bloodhound.
But this time of year, ponies are in such a rush for gemstones and rare jewels because the time is drawing near for the Princess's Diamond Gala. I've never been, but I've always wanted to go.
Supposedly at the Diamond Gala, the Princesses wear all these rare gemstones and jewels and everypony else has to wear gemstones too, because it is a DIAMOND Gala. Also, the gemstones are the talk of all Equestria. Designers try to put the rare gemstones the princesses wear to the Diamond Gala on the designs and the dresses sell for millions. Then there are some gardeners who try to magically grow the gemstones to make jewel flowers.
Plus, all the big celebrities attend the Diamond Gala. Like Sapphire Shores, the pony of pop. One of the ponies who lives here, Rarity I think her name is, designed these grand dresses for her and I heard she wore one to the Gala. Then there's that huge millionmare, Ruby Rain and her son, Emerald Blast. Everypony really likes Emerald Blast for some reason......not sure what the big deal is. They come every year.
I decided to stop reccounting the past Diamond Galas and begin counting more karats of gems.
My boss brings in bins and bins of gems that have unknown karats that I need to inspect.
I carefully selected a gorgeous opal from the bin and stuck the eyepiece into my eye.


Later I was walking home from the gem shoppe when I passed the Ponyville Newstand and stopped to look at the newspapers and magazines. I looked at a magazine and saw a picture of Emerald Blast on it. He was a tan colored stallion, like the color of sand, and his mane was the color of an emerald. He wore huge black sunglasses and he wore a black tuxedo. He was tipping his sunglasses to the camera and you could see his pale creamy green eyes. He was smiling a pearly white smile. Unlike any other celebrity stallion(They're usually earth ponies) Emerald Blast was a pegasus. I rolled my eyes and put down the magazine.
Emerald Blast was too much a pretty boy party stallion for my quiet pony style.
I went home and fell into bed and lay awake, thinking about Emerald Blast.
I thought about how easy it was for him to get a mare to love him. He was rich, handsome, and popular.
Why was I thinking about this? What was he to me?
I thought about if I'd be lonely for the rest of my life. With my gemstones. And extreme brains.
I fell into a deep troubled sleep, thinking that Emerald Blast had it easy.

When I opened the shop this morning, I was bombarded by ponies. Even Sapphire Shores! All were demanding jewels for the Gala. I didn’t know what to think, I just listened and gave them my best options. I sold diamonds, rubies, topaz, cobalt, emeralds, sapphires, moonlit opals, and lots of other gems. For some reason there was an abundance of fireheart sunset diamonds and moonlit opals. By the first two hours of being at the shop, I was already tired of selling jewels. So many ponies from Ponyville visited me. I never knew any of these ponies had even been invited to the Diamond Gala.

I was inspecting a few amethysts when the doorbell jingled, signaling the entrance of another pony. I looked up and took out my eyepiece. “Welcome to Ponyville‘s Gem Shoppe. How may I help you?” I asked, as serenely as I could manage. They were both earth ponies, one was a golden yellow with a white mane and the other was sunset orange with a pink mane. They were some of the more bizarre ponies I’d ever seen, but I wasn’t about to judge anypony by their looks. Except Emerald Blast. Those celebrity stallions are all the same: flaky and fake.

The two earth ponies(who were both mares) turned to me and the yellow one said: “So we need jew-AWHOA.” she said, spotting the large and very highly protected glass case, which inside held the Equestria Crystal, the rarest of all gems. It was fireheart sunset diamond, moonlit opal, and pure diamond mixed into one. I’ve always wanted to inspect it, but they never let anypony touch it, for fear of stealing.

“Yes?” I said, and the two mares stopped looking at the Equestria Crystal long enough to notice me again. I slipped the opal I was inspecting onto a mini pillow and slipped the pillow into a tiny glass case. I moved the tiny case into the large glass cabinet below me.

“What can I help you with?” I asked, patiently.
“So in case you haven’t heard, EMERALD BLAST is coming to the Diamond Gala.” said the golden mare, pulling a magazine out of her saddlebag. The magazine was obviously the latest issue that I had seen yesterday at the Ponyville Newsstand, with of course the same picture of Emerald Blast. I stifled a sigh and looked at the magazine.

“We were invited to the Gala! Can you believe it?” said the orange mare, excitedly. Simultaneously, both mares squealed in delight.

“So we came here to get fitted out for jewels! Any suggestions? We need to look our BEST for Emerald Blast.” said the golden mare.

“I see.” I said, and looked in my glass case.

After a grueling hour of looking, hoofing, and of course, squealing, I finally got Golden Sunlight(the golden mare) and Cobbler Delight(the orange mare) their gems. For Golden Sunlight I had a Sunlight Ruby, which was a ruby that was a yellow and red marble stone. For Cobbler Delight I found I very nice Amber Star Diamond, which is a diamond that is naturally orange. FINALLY the two ponies left the shop, squealing over their jewels. They asked me about everything, about their dresses, ribbons, horseshoes, and mane styles. I knew a pony who could help them, Rarity, yes, that’s it. She was a designer. I’ve met her myself, and she’s nice.

I gave them Rarity’s address, because she runs a boutique and these mares needed dresses for the Gala. That’s what they were telling me the entire time I was searching for the perfect jewels for them. In fact, it was sort of annoying that they were bothering me about their troubles….but being a shy quiet mare, I’m really shy about giving out personal comments.

After they left, I resumed my usual inspecting of gems. Since the Diamond Gala was coming up, my boss had delivered even more gems for me to inspect, and he left me with the order to polish and put all the gems in cases and sell as many as I could. I told him I would try, but since this morning I thought I was doing quite well on sales.

I grabbed a rag and began to wipe down the glass counter. Though it looked relatively clean, it got dusty very easily. I was about to wipe the counter when I realized Golden Sunlight and Cobbler Delight had left their Emerald Blast magazine on my counter by accident. I picked it up and looked at it. I considered throwing it away because I’m not the type of pony to read magazines. But hey, it was an expensive magazine, and it looked new….and I loved to read…and looking up, I could see there was nopony in the shop….and I had some free time. I couldn’t believe myself. But the ambitious part of me told me to open it. So I did, and the full color photos met my eyesight. Huge colorful bubble writing met my eyes. An article caught my eye and before I knew it, I was reading it.
EMERALD BLAST TO COME TO THE PRINCESS’S DIAMOND GALA!!!

Emerald Blast is invited to the Princess’s Diamond Gala! This reporter asks, will he support his usual emeralds at the gala? Or will he go for something else? All of you fanmares out there, look out! Here comes Emerald Blast!

So that what was all the fuss about! I wasn’t a fan at all, but I did know that a lot of mares liked Emerald Blast for his money. Plus that and his looks. And other stuff. I just hope Emerald Blast wouldn’t come visit Ponyville. I just don’t need that kind of stress in my life.