• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 3,654 Views, 82 Comments

Masters of the Enemy - Masterweaver



Who will be the next Changeling Queen?

  • ...
4
 82
 3,654

Choices in the Glen

"....well."

Twilight let her stone drop, eying her surroundings with some trepidation. "This is it, girls. Here we are." In all honesty, the glen seemed rather... unremarkable. It was a simple blank patch. True, it was a simple blank patch in the Everfree Forest but... there were no ruins, no magical glows... just the grass and the surrounding trees.

Rarity yawned silently, looking around with tired eyes. "Whoever would want to meet us here? Going to all the trouble of mailing us those letters and rocks, only to lead us to this place... do you think this is some sort of trap?"

"Um... I don't think so," Fluttershy said quietly. "Well, um, there's no cage or net or anything.... and the place is really very pretty..."

"Well, yes, darling, I suppose.... I'm sorry, I'm just a tad grumpy from my lack of sleep. Yoohoo! Mysterious letter sender! We're here now, would you be a dear and reveal yourself?" The unicorn let her gaze wander through the trees, hoping to catch sight of somepony hiding behind a trunk.

Applejack's ears twitched. "Is it just me, or is tha forest being really quiet?"

Twilight blinked. It was true. Not a bird sang in the branches, not a rabbit rustled through the bushes. The only sound was their breathing and, somehow, Pinkie Pie's bouncing.

Rainbow Dash stared out into the shadows. "Oooookay. That is a little bit creepy."

"I don't like this...." Fluttershy shivered, her wings folding and unfolding nervously.

Twilight nodded, backing up slowly. "Alright, this isn't funny! If you're here, come out and talk! Otherwise, we're leaving!"

"The Hive Serves The Swarm."

At the sudden voice, all six ponies jumped away from the trees.

"The Swarm Serves The Queen."

The second voice had come from the opposite direction, causing the six mares to glance around warily.

"The Queen Serves The Hive."

"What do you mean?" Twilight demanded. "Show yourself!"

"...As you command."

Eight changelings stepped out of the shadows, standing in a circle along the edge of the glen. The unicorn narrowed her eyes, quickly casting a shield around her and her friends, but the insectoid shapeshifters didn't take any further action. They simply stood, watching the ponies with various expressions. Twilight noticed one cowering in terror, one growling in rage, one sneering in disgust... but there was one grinning as she let her eyes rove over the ponies, one who smirked at their terrorized expressions, and one--the largest one--merely smiled reassuringly.

The other two disturbed her the most. One simply looked bored... the other didn't emote at all.

"Whadaya want?" Applejack demanded. "Tell us why ya called us here!"

The sneering changeling stepped forward. "Chrysalis is dead."

"Chrysalis?" Dash snorted. "Who's Chrysalis?"

"Our queen. The one who replaced your love goddess." A shrug came from the bored changeling. "Honestly, that was a stupid move."

"NECROSIS, I SWEAR IF YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH AGAIN I'LL--!"

"Be still, Spinnerette." The large changeling frowned at his shouting companion. "We do not wish to make a bad impression on these ponies, do we?"

The sneering changeling glowered at him. "We should cocoon them up and take them to the caverns..."

"The Hive has chosen differently." The one that had been eying a nervous Fluttershy flicked her wings. "I suggest you listen to Tardigrade."

"Darlings, it's a bit rude to talk about us like we're not here." Rarity stepped forward, pressing her hoof against the inside of Twilight's shield. "I am terribly sorry to hear your queen is deceased, of course, but I fail to understand why you wanted to meet us."

Rainbow Dash scoffed. "Isn't it obvious? They want to tear us to pieces! Keep that shield up, Twilight."

"Oh, tear you to pieces?" A chortle came from one of the changelings. "I like you. I really do. Peaceful ponies go straight for the throat! What do you think, Vespidae, your type of mare?"

"I think you're an obnoxious twit Scolopendra."

"Awww, I love you too."

"The antics of my comrades aside..." The large changeling--Tardigrade, Twilight recalled--turned back to the gathered ponies. "We have need of you alive, and fully aware. All six of you, in fact."

"All of us?" Fluttershy murmured. "Um... why?"

"The Hive serves the Swarm," intoned the emotionless one. "The Swarm serves the Queen. The Queen--"

"--Serves the Hive, you said that already!" Twilight snorted. "What does that mean? What does that have to do with us?"

"The Queen is dead, of course." The changeling that had been eying Rainbow smirked. "Normally, the Hive would choose a new Queen. But it has decided to do something unique in this case. I believe the pony phrase is... pass the bit?"

"Wait wait wait." Pinkie stood up. "Are you saying we get to choose the new changeling Queen?"

"Mmmmm. You're far more intelligent then you look."

Rarity shook her head and stared at the gathered changelings. "You're allowing us to...?"

"I do not believe you understand." The emotionless one stepped forward. "This is not something we decided. This is the choice of the Hive. Until you select a new Queen, you six are to reign over the Swarm."

Twilight's eyes narrowed to pinpricks. "WHAT?!"

"I, Gryilldae, submit to the new Queens." The emotionless one bowed.

"Wait, are--are ya'll serious?" Applejack stammered.

"I, Tardigrade, submit to the new Queens." The largest of the Changelings fell to his knees.

"I don't think I'm comfortable with this," Fluttershy said, pressing into her friends.

"I, Morpho, submit to the new Queens." With a lascivious smirk, the one that had been eyeing them slipped into a kneeling pose.

Rainbow Dash stepped back. "Oooookay. So they're serious."

"I, Scolopendra, submit to the new Queens."

"Oh my..." Rarity looked at the bowing changelings. "Are... we entirely certain this is a bad thing?"

"Um... I... I, Lycaenidae, submit to the new Queens..." A changeling hesitantly fell to her knees, quivering at the attention she'd received for her action.

"Oh my gosh!" Pinkie bounced up and down happily. "I'm going to get to throw a coronation party! Ohmygosh there's going to be streamers and licorice cake cause changelings are kind like licorice and we can play charades amd pin the tail on the pony or maybe on the changeling except changelings don't really have tails they have those fine things, I guess I'll have to think about that a bit--"

"I, Necrosis, submit to the new Queens. And politely request the pink one be silent." The bored changeling sunk to his knees.

"Oh! Right, sorry."

"I, Vespidae, submit to the new Queens." The voice came out as a low growl as one changeling bowed, glowering at the ponies pointedly.

All eyes turned to the final changeling, who was still looking at the ponies in utter revulsion.

"I.... Spinnerette...."

He backed up a step, glancing over his shoulder as though he was about to run. There was a silent moment.

Then, finally, he let out an aggravated sigh and reluctantly bowed. "...submit to the new Queens. For now."

Silence filled the small glen. The changelings remained bowed as the ponies clustered tightly together, thrown completely by this development. Experimentally, Twilight released her shield; when none of the changelings jumped at them, she took a cautious step forward. And then another.

And then she poked one of them.

"I understand that this is a shocking development," Necrosis drawled, "but is it really necessary to examine my horn? It's not cracked or anything."

"Oh! Um, right. I just..." Twilight smiled sheepishly. "Could you all, um, stay riiiight here? I'll be right back." Without any other warning, she teleported away.

Lycaenidae whimpered. "I knew this was a bad idea."

***

"SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!"

With a sigh, the dragon strolled down the stairs. "Hey Twilight. Did you figure out who sent those--?"

"LETTER! NOW!"

"Geeze, fine." Spike produced a scroll and quill. "Ready when you are."

"Princess Celestia, the Changeling Queen is dead and the Changelings want me and my friends to be regents until we select the new one. I humbly request advice. Yours, Twilight Sparkle."

"...wait. Are you seriously--?"

"WRITE AND SEND SPIKE I AM PANICKING HERE."

"R-Right!" The dragon finished his letter with a flourish, sending it off to Canterlot in a flash of magical fire. "But seriously, Twilight, are you saying that the Changelings want you to--?"

"YES." The unicorn pressed her face against his. "DO YOU NOT SEE THE CRAZY EYES? I DO NOT JOKE WITH THE CRAZY EYES."

Her number one assistant nodded. "You... do seem to be freaking out. Do you want some tea?"

"THAT WOULD BE VERY NICE THANK YOU SPIKE."

Very slowly, the dragon slid out from under her gaze. He was only halfway across the room, however, when he burped up a reply scroll. Twilight lunged on it like a feral animal, unwrapping it quickly.

Twilight,
Bring them to Canterlot.
--Celestia.