• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 2,278 Views, 93 Comments

My Girl Fluttershy - White_Cloud



A story about one pony's love for Fluttershy, and his journey to winning her heart

  • ...
11
 93
 2,278

Chapter 3: One Small Step for a Pony…

She is so beautiful… I thought to myself as I stared at Fluttershy performing some errands around Ponyville. Ever since our small interaction yesterday, I had been unable to get her out of my head. Previously, she would only invade my dreams, but now she consumed my every waking thought. I smiled as I watched her going about buying vegetables or stopping in the quill shop to pick up some paper and ink. I found myself becoming more intrigued with this mare than I had ever been before. I never realized how deep my feelings for her had become. How I wanted to spend my every waking moment just staring at her or lie in a field and look up at the stars. I imagined the conversations we would have. I would make her laugh when I told a funny joke. She would smile as she told me about her day and everything she had accomplished.

I shook my head and went back to the flower bed I was supposed to be tending, but I just could not help myself as I paused once more to watch her. So beautiful…

……

The next day was a day off for me. I was very much looking forward to this day because during the night I had finally made up my mind to ask Fluttershy to a picnic. Sleep eluded me as I paced back and forth in my house trying to figure out what I was going to say to her.

“Hi! Do you remember me? I had forgotten my bag at the café and you… No no no, that’s not right!” I cleared my throat and tried again. “Hi there! I’m White Cloud! Remember me from the café? You returned my bag and…” I sighed as I flopped into my favorite chair next to the fireplace. “Oh this is hopeless. I’m just too nervous to come up with anything good to say.” I sat and stared at the brightly colored fire, trying to figure out something that was perfect to say to the mare of my dreams. I laid my head back and closed my eyes, slowly rubbing the sides of my head with my hooves. I could feel a headache approaching, but I wasn’t about to let my pain get in the way of thinking about tomorrow. I slowly got up and walked into the kitchen to prepare for tomorrow. Opening up cupboards and the ice chest, I began to gather together the necessary ingredients to prepare a wonderful picnic. I wanted it to be simple, but simple didn’t have to mean bland and boring. I grabbed my saddlebags as I began to place the necessary picnic necessities into the pouches.

I carefully put together a couple grass and bean sprout sandwiches, threw in some sliced apples and carrot sticks, as well as some cookies for dessert. To top it all off, I placed a blanket into the other side and then snapped the pouches closed. Smiling to myself, I began to grow more excited as I saw that the sun was beginning to rise over Equestria. But my head started to have small doubt creep in as my smile began to slowly fade and butterflies took over in my stomach. You can do this, White Cloud. I know you can do this! Sliding my saddlebags onto my back, I walked out of the house and headed towards Ponyville.

It was a beautiful day as the birds sang their tune and squirrels ran up and down trees gathering acorns and nuts. I heard a dog barking and saw beautiful butterflies dancing among the flowers as I trotted down the lane. I loved this time of year. Spring was always the best season, in my opinion; all the colors and new plants, the blooming flowers and the trees regrowing their lost coverings. The sights and smells of spring were all around as I breathed in deeply the scent of the flowers and trees. It was intoxicating. At the same time, it helped calm me down a little. I picked up the pace a little as I neared the edge of the town. Even though it was still early morning, the town was already full of ponies going about their business. I trotted around the square, avoiding ponies and carts as I searched for Fluttershy. After a little time had passed, I realized it was a futile effort to try and find her right now. The town was too crowded and the noise was deafening.

By this time, the sun had reached its peak and it was turning into a hotter day than was usual for this time of year. I noticed I was by Sugar Cube Corner, and the sudden urge to drink a milkshake came over me. The Cakes made the best milkshakes I had ever tasted. I walked through the door, and into a whole new level of chaos. There were boxes piled everywhere and ponies talking back and forth rapidly as they rushed around behind the counter.

“Oh my, I think I forgot the cakes. Where did I put those?”

“They’re right here, honey. All boxed up and ready to go. Ok, we still need four dozen doughnuts and five dozen cookies and tarts to pack before we can leave.”

“Oh! I didn’t realize what time it is! We’re going to be late!”

I walked over to the counter and watched Mr. and Mrs. Cake dash about the shop grabbing goodies from shelves and under the counters.

“Hello Mr. Mrs. Cake!”

“Oh, hello White Cloud! Sorry the place is in such a mess. We have a huge order we need to fill and get delivered to Canterlot. Big party going on there and we were asked to cater the entire event.” Mr. Cake never skipped a beat as he continued to pack boxes and stack them up.

“Can I lend a hoof here? Seems like you could use all the help you can get.”

“Oh, that would be wonderful dear. It would help us out so much if you were willing to do that. Why don’t you start taking these boxes out to our wagon.” Mrs. Cake pointed towards a tower of boxes that appeared to be on the verge of toppling over. I removed my saddlebags and set them in a corner as I slowly picked up a stack of desserts and trotted them out the door. It wasn’t long before all the boxes were stacked and secured in the wagon and the Cakes were waving goodbye as they headed out of Ponyville. I smiled as I waved and then wiped the sweat from my forehead. I trotted back into the shop and looked around to see if there was anything else that might have been forgotten or that needed to be put away. Sure enough, there was a pile of empty cake boxes that had been left on the counter. I picked up the boxes and started to trot into the back room when I heard a small noise. I set the boxes onto the nearest counter as a puzzled look came over my face. I thought everypony was gone. Is there somepony else here that I didn’t know about? As quietly as I could, I slowly began to make my way into the back room. Shaking a little as I looked about, I heard the noise again, unmistakable this time.

“Hello? Is somepony here?”

“YIPE!” I heard somepony scream and then the crashing of pots and pans hitting the floor reached my ears. I heard soft groaning as I rushed in to see a pile of pots and pans moving around on the floor. I realized they had fallen onto somepony! The pile grew taller as however it was under the pile of metal sat up. As the pots and pans fell around them, I saw the color pink. My heart skipped a beat as my mind started racing. Is it her? Could it really be her? As the last of the pots fell around her, the yellow color of her body was unmistakable. Her face was still hidden because a rather large pot had fallen onto her head. She cautiously lifted up the lid of the pot and then let out a little shriek as she dropped it back down over her head.

“W-who are y-you?” I couldn’t help but giggle a little at the way she looked. It was just so funny seeing a Pegasus with a pot over her head. I finally settled down enough to where I could speak.

“It’s me…White Cloud. We met on the side street behind the café?”

“Wh-White Cloud?” I could tell she was still shaken, whether that was from the falling pots of the shock of me standing here. “Oh! White Cloud! I-I do remember you! You forgot your s-saddlebags and I gave them b-back to you.” I started to laugh again as I continued to stare at her.

“Heh, I think you have something on your head.”

“Oh my!” Fluttershy once again slowly lifted the pot up and then off her head. Her face was in the state of confusion and terror as she looked around at the mess. “You s-scared me, I thought e-everypony had left. The Cakes were so b-busy when I came in that I offered to h-help them, and then I told them that I would clean up back here. Now look at the mess I m-made.” She looked at the ground as tears began to roll down her face. I felt so bad for her that there was only one thing I could do.

“Would you like a hoof cleaning up in here?” I smiled at her as I stretched out a hoof towards her. Sniffling, she looked up at me with eyes full of joy.

“Oh, that would be wonderful! Thank you!” She grabbed my hoof as I helped her stand up. As we began to pick up the pots and pans and put them back into their homes, I kept watching her as she moved around, no, glided around the room. She was so graceful and mesmerizing. After a short time, all of the dishes were cleaned and put away and the cookware was stowed away in the cupboards. As I put the last pan into the cupboard, I turned around and looked at her. She wore a small smile on her face as she came over.

“Thank you so much White Cloud!” I smiled back at her. Seeing her in this state made my heart soar! “I guess I should be heading back home.” It was then I remember my original purpose for being here.

“I, um, had a question for you.” I slowly started to say. Fluttershy stopped and turned back around.

“What is it White Cloud?”

“Well, I was wondering if…oh, can I really do this? If, you would like to join me for a, um, picnic?” It was pure torture trying to get that out and my legs felt like they were going to collapse. Fluttershy looked puzzled as she stared at me.

“White Cloud…I…” It took her a moment to be able to form words. I could see her mind wrestling with what I had asked her. Finally, she seemed to come to a conclusion. “I would love to Cloud.” She once again smiled at me as she trotted back. “When did you want to go?”

“I was thinking, maybe, right now? I went ahead and packed everything last night.” Fluttershy looked a little shocked, but that soon faded into another smile.

“Right now sounds perfect Cloud.”