• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 2,289 Views, 93 Comments

My Girl Fluttershy - White_Cloud



A story about one pony's love for Fluttershy, and his journey to winning her heart

  • ...
11
 93
 2,289

Chapter 10: Surrounded by Darkness

I once again paused the story as emotion threatened to take over. I don’t know if I can do it. This is so painful. Tears began to well up in my eyes as I thought about what I was about to tell Fluttershy. She looked concerned as she quickly got up and came to sit by me. I couldn’t hold the tears back any longer, and they began to roll down my face. Fluttershy put a hoof around my shoulders and pulled me into an embrace.

“It’s ok Cloud. It’s going to be ok.” She whispered in my ear as I continued to weep uncontrollably. We continued to sit there for several minutes until I was able to calm myself back down. I slowly lifted my head and looked into her eyes. They looked so beautiful, so kind and gentle and caring. She gave me a smile as I continued to stare at her. “Whatever you have to tell me, I will understand.”

“W-will you stay by me?” I quietly asked.

“Of course I will.” With her sitting next to me, I was finally settled down enough to continue.

“You may not like what I am about to tell you, but you need to hear it. I’m going to start the next day after the visit from Sapphire.”

……

I still could not get the visit from Sapphire Desire out of my head. She had really shaken me up. I never expected to see her again, but there she was. And what did she mean by I will be seeing much more of her? I was so lost in thought that the hammer I was swinging came down on my hoof instead of the nail I was driving into a board.

“AAAHHHHH!!! SON OF A MANTICORE!!!” I yelled as I quickly stuck my hoof into my mouth, trying to dull the pain and keep from yelling again. I heard the back door quickly open and close as Golden came out on the porch.

“Is everything all right out here?” I removed my hoof and said,

“Yeah, I just hit my hoof with the hammer.”

“Well, try to hit the nail next time. It works better.” She gave me a sly grin as she went back into the house.

“Yeah, yeah, always the comedian.” I said quietly as I turned back around to continue repairing a window shutter. Soon I was lost in thought again as I continued with my work. This time I was thinking about the last several weeks. I had finally been able to get the family into a normal routine, with Golden’s help. It hadn’t been easy, but things were finally beginning to resemble some sort of normalcy. I still spent time with my mother every day; though I was beginning to think that she will never recover from her depression. Golden still held a slim hope that my daily interactions with her might still bring her around, but I didn’t have the heart to tell her how I felt.

I finally finished the repairs on the shutter and went to the front of the house to place it back on the window. After a few minutes, it was back in place and looking just like new. I stepped back a few paces to admire my work, noting that you could not tell that it was the same old shutter that had been there for so long. I smiled as I went back around the house and in through the back door. Golden was in the kitchen baking what smelled like sugar cookies.

“Those smell delicious, sis!” I said as I trotted up to the oven. There was a tray of fresh cookies that had just been removed from the oven sitting on top.

“Cloud, don’t you even think about taking one of those cookies.” Golden said as she quickly turned around and gave me a stern look. “They are for Mrs. Skies. She just had a foal and I am taking these to her as a congratulations gift.” I looked at her with sad, puppy dog eyes and my lower lip quivering. She looked away, trying to stifle a laugh. I slowly trotted closer, my eyes getting bigger. She looked back at me, and then started laughing hysterically. I continued to wear my silly sad face until she finally calmed down enough to wipe a tear from her eye. “Oh White Cloud, you know just how to liven up the mood. Ok, you can have one, but no more.” I smiled and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

“You’re the best, sis!” I trotted over to the pan and grabbed a still warm cookie. “I am going to go visit with mom for a while. Are you ok down here?” I saw her smile slightly fade and her eyes become slightly darker at the mention of our mother.

“Yes, I’ll be fine. You go ahead.” I nodded as I turned around and headed up to our mothers room.

……

“Diamond was finally able to track down the mare that she loved, and rushed into his open hooves as quickly as she could. They embraced and quickly began to kiss, savoring each and every second of that time. For both ponies knew they had finally found the one that they loved, and they would never be apart again.” I closed the book and laid in on the nightstand next to the bed. A Tale of Two Ponies was always her favorite book. I continued to read it to her, hoping that it might snap her out of this depression. I let out a sigh as I sat back in my chair and looked out the window.

“I wish you could hear me. I want to believe you are still in there. If only you would let me know. Give me some sort of sign that you are still with us.” I continued to stare out the window as the sky began to darken with storm clouds. The weather report had called for rain the next several days, and it looked like the Pegasi were right on schedule. I sighed once more as I got out of my chair and began to slowly make my way to the bedroom door. I could hear the rain beginning to tap on the window, as I reached the door.

“W-White Cloud?” I froze. It couldn’t be her, must be wishful thinking. I reached for the door handle. Then I heard it again, slightly louder. “White Cloud?” I quickly turned around and rushed over to the chair as I saw my mother staring back at me!

“Mother! Oh mother!” I cried out as I quickly grabbed her hoof and began to cry tears of joy. She slowly smiled at me and patted my hoof with hers.

“I-I’m here White Cloud.”

“Mother, we thought we had lost you! You have been sitting here for weeks just staring out the window. I came and talked with you ever day. I even read you your favorite book!” A tear ran down her face as she turned back to the window.
“We thought we had lost you, White Cloud. We tried to find you. But…” She began to weep as she placed her hooves over her eyes. “Why White Cloud? Why did you run away? Y-Your father…he…” She couldn’t finish the sentence. I looked down at the floor as she continued to weep, feeling like I had done everything wrong. I knew I was the cause of all this pain and suffering.

“I know mother. I know this is all my fault. Everything that happened is my fault. If only…if only I had the courage to stay. If only I had been brave enough to tell you my feelings. None of this would have happened. Father would still be alive, Golden Mane would still be a young mare with dreams and ambitions. My brothers and sisters would still have a mother and father to take care of them.” I began to shed tears as I stared at the floor, unable to look my mother in the eye. It really is all my fault. As I continued to stare at the floor, I felt a hoof on my head. I slowly lifted my head and saw that my mother had stopped crying.

“White Cloud, don’t blame yourself. I know your father and I were not there for you. We cared more about what we wanted, and not what we best for our children. I blame myself for you running away. I was not a caring mother. I’m so sorry White Cloud. I know no amount of apologies will ever be able to make up for what I did, but I hope this is a start.” I smiled at her as I leaned over and gave her a hug.

“I forgive you mother. And, I am so sorry I ran away. I promise to never leave you again.”

“Will you help me over to the bed? I feel very tired all of a sudden.” I helped lift her out of the chair and we slowly trotted over to the bed. She sat down on the edge, and I helped her lift her legs up onto the bed. I slowly pulled the covers up to her chin as she smiled at me once more. “White Cloud, no matter what, I will always love you.” I smiled back and kissed her on her forehead.

“You get some rest. You’re going to have a lot of company tomorrow. I know all of the children will want to see you, especially Golden mane. She is going to be so happy!” I quickly trotted over to the door and went into the hallway, quietly closing it behind me. I couldn’t wait to tell Golden! She was going to be so thrilled to hear that mother was back! I heard noises coming from the kitchen, so I quickly made my way down there, eager to tell Golden the wonderful news!

……

“CLOUD! CLOUD! WAKE UP! SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH MOTHER!” I felt hooves shaking me furiously as I slept in my bed. I slowly woke up, still very groggy. I saw that Golden was standing by my bed, looking scared. I quickly became alert and asked, “What is wrong?”

“It’s mother! I went in to take her some hot tea and when I went to wake her, she wouldn’t move! I tried calling to her, shaking her, but there was no response! Oh Cloud, do something!” I quickly lept out of bed and went dashing into the bedroom.

“Mother! MOTHER!” I cried as I rushed to her bedside. She was still lying right where I had seen her the night before, but she looked pale. “MOTHER! WAKE UP MOTHER!” I laid my hooves on her legs and shook her. “MOTHER! YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP!” I put a hoof in front of her muzzle, but I felt no air coming out. “No…this can’t happen…mother, you have to wake up…you have to wake up.” I closed my eyes as the realization finally sunk in…our mother had passed away some time in the night. Tears began to stream down my face as I laid my head on her chest. I quietly whispered “mother” every so often as I began to weep uncontrollably. I heard a soft cry behind me and I turned to see Golden standing there, weeping as well. I slowly got up and went over to her, wrapping my hooves around her. She laid her head on my shoulder as we both stood there weeping. First our father had passed away, and now our mother was gone too. I didn’t know what to think or say. All that mattered in that moment was the two of us. I was finally able to clear my head long enough to take Golden out of the room. The children were all standing in the hallway, looking worried, and we tried to explain to them how our mother had passed. Each one of them began to weep, as Golden and I tried to comfort them the best we could. I was now the head of the house, but was I ready for this type of responsibility? Was I ready to take care of everyone?

……

The funeral was very quiet and beautiful. Ponies from all over the city and even some from other towns came to pay their respects. It was a graveside service, and the rain was steadily pouring down on everpony. As the preacher wrapped up his sermon, I, followed by Golden, each took a hoof full of dirt and threw it into the grave. Each pony in attendance did this until there was a small pile of dirt on top of the coffin. As I held Golden, she began to weep once more as we headed to our carriage. Just as we reached the carriage, I looked over and saw Sapphire Desire standing a little ways away. At the time I didn’t think much of it, but I should have known that she was trouble the moment she first came and talked to me. Little did I know what was in store for me, that it was going to change me forever.