• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 7,113 Views, 173 Comments

A Dragon's Depression - rarityxspike



Spike's depression has lead him to do something that puts his life on the line.

  • ...
11
 173
 7,113

Chapter 9 - She Really Does Care

"Oh my goodness, that's terrible", Fluttershy was stood on her doorstep listening to Applejack tell her about Spike.

"Yeah, so he might be in the Everfree forest, I was wondering if you may have seen him go by?", Applejack asked.

"I'm sorry, Applejack, but I was at the Spa with Rarity today, so I wouldn't have seen him this afternoon.

"It's okay, Fluttershy, Twilight and I are just trying to get as many clues and/or help as possible", Applejack explained. All of a sudden they saw a purple blur running towards the Everfree forest.

"Is that... Twilight?", asked Fluttershy.

"I think it is", replied Applejack. When the blur reached the entrance to the forest, it stopped, and it was clear that it was Twilight.

"Applejack! Spike! Are you in there?", shouted Twilight.

"Over here, Twilight!", Applejack called while waving trying to get Twilight's attention. Twilight looked around to see where the voice was coming from, then she saw Applejack waving along with Fluttershy. Twilight ran over when she reached her two friends, she was out of breath.

"Fluttershy... Spike... has... I mean he...", Applejack put a hoof to Twilight's mouth.

"I already told her everything, sugarcube, I thought I'd ask if she had seen him since the Everfree Forest isn't far from her cottage, but unfortunately, she hasn't", Applejack explained while also lowering her hoof. Twilight managed to catch her breath, but the purple mare didn't speak, she just hung her head low, Applejack and Fluttershy saw a single tear fall to the ground.

"Hey, Twilight! We're gonna find him", said Applejack lifting Twilight's head.

"Yeah, and I'll keep an eye out for him", Fluttershy tried to smile to help Twilight. Twilight removed Applejack hoof and just shook her head, she couldn't even talk, she looked defeated.

"Twilight we can't give up now, we have to keep trying", Applejack tried to reassure Twilight. All of a sudden Twilight lifted her head a little more to face Applejack with a determined look.

"You're right!", Twilight looked at Fluttershy.

"Thank you, Fluttershy, you'll keep an eye out for him?", Twilight asked.

"Of course!", Fluttershy smiled.

"Right, time to search the Everfree Forest", said Twilight with confidence. Fluttershy was concerned for her friends.

"Girls!", started Fluttershy. Twilight and Applejack looked towards the yellow pegasus.

"Please be careful", Fluttershy pleaded.

"We will", Twilight and Applejack said in unison. Fluttershy waved as her friends made their way to the entrance to the forest.

When they made it to the entrance, they both looked at each other, took a deep breath and nodded. Twilight took the first step when all of a sudden.

"WAIT!!!", Twilight instantly recognised the voice and darted her head around.

"Spike?", she looked down the path and she saw Rarity running towards them with Spike on her back.

Twilight and Applejack ran towards Rarity and Spike. When they finally met up with one another, Applejack was first to speak.

"Spike where were you? You had us worried sick", Twilight put a hoof up to Applejack's chest. Twilight levitated Spike off of Rarity back and pulled him in for a hug.

"I'm just glad you're safe", Twilight's voice was muffled from hugging Spike. Spike could feel his back scales getting wet.

"Twilight it's okay, I'm here now", said Spike, trying to make Twilight feel okay. Rarity could feel her heart being torn, she knew what was wrong, she knew she had to say something. Applejack walked over to Rarity.

"It's not like Spike to run off like that, and from what Twilight had told me during our search he hasn't been himself lately", Applejack told Rarity. Rarity tried to find the right words to say, luckily Applejack continued.

"I'm just glad he's safe, where did you find him, Rarity?", Applejack asked. Rarity froze, she had to think of something quick, she composed herself.

"I saw him walking past my boutique, not long after, Twilight had informed me, she couldn't find him", luckily Applejack was more concerned about Spike being safe rather than analysing Rarity's response. Twilight stopped hugging Spike, still in tears.

"Please! Don't run off like that again!", Twilight said in an angry, but sad tone.

Aww, look how happy she is to finally be able to control you again

"Shut up! She missed me"

"I'm sorry, Twilight", Spike responded.

"I'm sorry too, Spike, I didn't mean what I said", Twilight said with a sorry look on her face.

Sure she is

Spike just ignored the voice.

"It's okay, Twilight, I know that now" Spike informed. Twilight stopped crying and smiled and turn to face Applejack and Rarity.

"Thank you, Applejack for helping, and thank you Rarity for finding him", she hugged both of her friends.

"That's alright, Twilight, I'm going to inform Fluttershy that we... well, Rarity found him", Applejack made her way to Fluttershy's cottage. Rarity waited until Applejack was out of earshot, went to tell Twilight about Spike's condition, but no words came out, she was scared to think what Twilight would think, and her head started racing with negative responses.

'How long have you known?'

'Why didn't you tell me?'

'You didn't help?'

'You're so selfish!'

'You made him work?'

Suddenly the call of her name snapped her out of it.

"Rarity!", Twilight repeated. Rarity shook her head slightly.

"I'm sorry, Twilight, I was miles away", Rarity apologised.

"That's okay, I was just wondering if you'd like to come over for dinner, as a sort of thank you", Twilight offered. Rarity guilt started to settle in.

"Oh, you don't have to do that, maybe Applejack could come over", Rarity suggested.

"I was going to invite Applejack as well, but I remembered that she has a lot of things to do back at the farm since she has spent time helping me", Twilight smiled, Rarity was able to return the smile.

"What do you say, Rarity?", Rarity didn't see a way out of this.

"Sure, thank you, Twilight", she let Twilight lead the way.

After a few minutes, they made it back to Twilight's.

"You two sit down, I'll prepare dinner", Twilight said as they all walked in. Twilight made her way to the kitchen, while Spike and Rarity sat on the couch. Rarity turned to Spike and could see he was worrying.

"Everything alright, Spike?", Rarity said knowing fully well what was going through his head. Spike looked up at Rarity.

"Huh? Yeah, just, you know, being home", Spike said as he looked back down.

"Thank you, for what you did though", Spike said. Rarity looked back over to Spike.

"For not telling Twilight you were at mine?", Rarity said quietly making Twilight sure didn't hear from the kitchen.

"Yeah, you really are a true friend", Spike responded just as quietly. Rarity smiled at Spike's comment, but that quickly faded when she looked at him and see he was still struggling with the thought of eating. She was trying to think of ways to help.

"Spike?", Rarity started. Spike looked up at Rarity.

"Yeah?", Spike responded.

"How are you feeling?", Rarity asked. Spike slightly chuckled.

"You've already asked me that, Rarity", Spike chuckled once more, Rarity smiled.

"I know, darling, but I mean how are you truly feeling deep down inside?", Rarity explained. Spike's expression changed into a thinking one.

"I feel fine", Spike said looking confused. Rarity sighed.

I suppose he doesn't understand... that's okay, Rarity thought to herself.

"Well, if you're ever not fine, you know you can talk to me about anything", Rarity gave Spike a warm smile.

"Thank you, Rarity, that means a lot coming from you, and I'm always here to help you or listen if you need to talk, also", Spike returned the smile. They both smiled at each other, then Twilight walked in from the kitchen.

"Rarity, could I borrow you for a sec?", Rarity looked over to Twilight.

"Yeah, sure, please excuse me, Spike", Rarity said as she got up to follow Twilight to the kitchen.

"Sure", Spike smiled.

"What is it you would like assistance with, Twilight?", Rarity asked as she walked into the kitchen.

"I know this sounds silly, but could you maybe help me with the presentation of the food?", Twilight said sheepishly.

"Of course, but what ever for, darling?", Rarity asked.

"Again, I know this is going to sound silly, but I feel Spike might be more encouraged to eat it if it looked more appealing", Twilight knew it was stupid as soon as she said it out loud. Rarity thought about Spike not eating, and she knew she had to tell Twilight something, but not so much she freaks out.

"Umm. Twilight I---", Rarity was interrupted by Twilight.

"I know, I know, it's a stupid idea", Twilight sighed.

"No no! That's not it, I... umm... I need to talk to you... about Spike"