• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 3,164 Views, 89 Comments

Dreams - Incredible Blunderbolt



Sometimes, life just doesn't go your way...

  • ...
15
 89
 3,164

Chapter 7

The streets were bathed in orange light. Pinks and reds bounced off Rosetta's coat and cast her in a beautiful glow; Daring nearly forgot to breathe as she took in the sight. They walked through the park, chatting idly about nothing of particular interest. Sighing in contentment, Daring followed Rosetta's lead and allowed the indigo mare's words to wrap around her like a warm embrace.

They circled around a shimmering pond filled with darting fish. A squirrel crossed their path in an instant, his cheeks puffed out with nuts as he dove into a nearby bush. After a short while, they settled on a bench overlooking the water and bathed in the dying beams of the setting sun. The light reflected off the water beautifully, creating a glittering body of orangey-yellow water that enraptured them both.

“It's beautiful, isn't it?” Rosetta asked, staring off into the distance.

Daring took in the unicorn's peaceful smile, highlighted by the colors around them. “Yeah...” she sighed. “It is...” She scooted a little closer to her friend and watched the sky with her. Taking a deep breath, she leaned back and settled into her seat. She didn't say much else, content to relax and enjoy the romantic setting with the pony she'd grown to care so very much for. Minor bumbling aside, dinner had gone rather well and Daring was happy to see that their walk was only adding to the wonderful air that had surrounded them all night. Her lips curved up; she couldn't have picked a more perfect night to come clean. They'd remember this night for the rest of their lives—she was sure of it.

“How do you think she does it?”

Daring blinked. “Huh?” she said stupidly, shaking her head and looking at Rosetta. “Who?”

“Princess Celestia,” the historian answered, gazing up in wonder. The twinkle of the dying sun shone in her eyes. “How do you think she controls the sun?”

“Oh...” Daring shrugged and turned her head to the sun once more. “I don't know,” she answered. “You'd probably know more than I do—didn't the unicorns use magic to bring forth night and day during the Pre-Equestrian Era?”

A soft smirk grew on Rosetta's face. “Yeah, but that magic must have been lost to time,” she said. “Princess Celestia is the only pony I know of that can do it.”

“Maybe nopony else powerful enough to do it,” Daring suggested. She shifted her weight to a more comfortable position on the bench, rubbing shoulders with her companion as she did so. “Maybe only royalty ever knew how.”

Rosetta closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Letting it out slowly, she stretched back in her seat and redirected her gaze back to the light. “You might be on to something there, Darey,” she said.

“Course I am,” the adventurer said, grinning. She raised a hoof and lightly bopped Rosetta on the nose, eliciting a giggle from her. “Aren't I always?”

Rosetta chuckled lightly, and poked Daring in the shoulder. “Careful there, Darey,” she warned, “You usually only get yourself into trouble when you're out chasing after treasure.”

Daring shrugged, but her mouth still showed off her increasingly cocky grin. “I may get myself into trouble,” she countered with a laugh, “But I always come out on top, don't I?”

“Point taken,” the unicorn agreed, shaking her head. “You really do have the luck of the Ancients, don't you?”

Daring watched as the violet locks of Rosetta's beautiful mane flowed like water in the breeze. “Celestia, I hope so...” she whispered.

“What was that?”

“Nothing.”

They sat in silence for a few minutes, listening to the cheerful cawing of passing crows and the soft splashes of water generated by hungry fish. The sun slowly drifted further and further towards the horizon, until only the faintest of its rays could be seen in the distance. Daring smiled. Watching the sun set was something of a regular occurrence between the two studious mares, but she would've liked to think that there might have been something extra special about this one.

As the first of the night's stars began twinkling above, the air began taking on a colder quality and Daring felt her friend's limbs begin to shake. Taking a deep breath, she boldly wrapped a wing around Rosetta's shivering body. At first—when Rosetta's entire form turned stiff as a board—Daring was afraid she'd gone too far. Her heart stopped and her blood ran cold. Dinner and a walk were one thing, but this? They'd never done this before.

Daring bit her lip. She started to pull her wing back and apologize when she felt Rosetta's muscles relax into her. A weight settled on Daring's shoulder as the unicorn rested her head on her and sighed contentedly.

“Thanks, Darey.”

An intense heat crawled up Daring's neck and settled in her cheeks.“Don't mention it.” Hesitantly, she rested her head against Rosetta's and the gentle smell of lilacs caressed her nostrils.

Sitting with her wing wrapped around Rosetta and under the light of the setting sun, Daring had never felt more at peace with herself. She nuzzled her friend and held her as close as possible, packing as much affection as she could into the simple otherwise gesture. When she was done, she pulled back a little and looked Rosetta in the eyes. The indigo mare returned her gaze with a smile.

“Hey, Rosie...” Daring began, taking one of the unicorn's hooves into her grasp. “I've got something I need to say.”

Rosetta's smile faltered as she bit her lip. “Darey...”

“Hang on, just let me finish,” Daring interrupted. “I've been wanting to say this for a long time.”

“Darey, don't...”

“Rosie, we're best friends, right?”

The wind shifted and gently brushed the unicorn's mane out of her face. Shining amethyst eyes revealed themselves to the world. “Of course we are,” Rosetta cracked. “But, Darey...”

“Shh,” Daring whispered, pulling her friend closer. Her own eyes were welling up with emotion now. Holding Rosetta tight against her body, she gently stroked the long strands of deep purple hair the flowed down the shivering mare's back. “Rosie, I just want you to know that I love you.” She found her friend's cheek and nuzzled it with fervor, wetting her face further. “I have for a long time...”

A choked sob echoed from Daring's shoulder. “Oh, Darey...”

Daring's lip curled up. Carefully, she tilted Rosetta's head back and looked her in the eyes. She could have said anything, but she didn't feel any need to. Slowly, the pegasus brought her face closer to her friend's and closed her eyes. She could hear every one of Rosetta's ragged, jerking breaths as she gently let their lips meet.

Daring Do had experienced many feelings during her adventures—the thrill of saving the day, the sting of betrayal, the excitement of running from a temple full of dangerous traps—but never had she felt anything quite like the satisfaction of finally kissing the most important pony in her life. It was like receiving her diploma again—years of work culminating in a short moment of sheer unparalleled joy. Releasing a soft moan, she tightened her grip on Rosetta and tried with every fiber of her being to convey just how much she felt for the professor. Rosetta growled hungrily, pressing her lips even harder into Daring's than the adventurer had ever intended; Daring's heart skipped a beat.

They held the kiss for a few seconds before Daring noticed that Rosetta was pulling away. Curious, she opened her eyes and took in the look of abject horror plastered on the unicorn's face. Daring frowned and tried to scoot closer to her friend, but Rosetta leaped off the bench with tears in her eyes and turned away from her.

“No!” she cried, her head hanging low. “No! This wasn't supposed to happen!”

Daring stepped off the bench and carefully sidled up to Rosetta, careful not to disturb the clearly distraught mare. “Rosie?” She reached out a hoof and set it on the mare's shoulder, but pulled it back immediately when she felt Rosetta's entire body spasm at her touch. “Rosie? What's wrong?”

“Everything!” she whispered, turning back to her friend. “I... W-we can't...” More tears spilled down her cheeks as her head fell. “Oh, Darey...”

After a moment of contemplation, Daring decided it would be safe enough to sit down next to Rosetta. She reached out and wrapped the unicorn up in her embrace once more, holding her tightly against her chest. “There, there...” she whispered softly, rubbing the mare's back with her hoof. “It's okay, I'm here.”

Rosetta's choked sobs only increased in intensity. “No, Darey...” she cracked. “Stop.” Slowly, she pulled away from the sandy-colored forelegs of her friend. “I can't...”

Daring's smile faded. She watched as Rosetta wiped her eyes, the tears matting the fur on her leg and staining it almost black. “You can't what?” she asked, ears dropping.

Despite just wiping them clear, Rosetta's eyes filled with fresh tears. “It won't work...” she whispered breathlessly. Daring swore that if she were to speak any softer, the breeze would sweep through and steal the unicorn's words. “I can't love a—I can't love you, Darey... It won't work.”

A bitter taste filled Daring's mouth as she processed what she'd heard. Her eyes stung as she watched Rosetta for any sign of dishonesty—any clue that this might have been some sort of sick joke, but she found none. How could this have happened? She'd been so certain... After all these years, this was the way things were going to be?

“Why not?”

Rosetta's gaze rose from the ground. She regarded Daring with a look of fierce regret. It was then that the adventurer realized that she wasn't the one getting glared at. Daring's heart sank as she followed the unicorn's gaze and set her eyes upon Rosetta's target.

Daring's wings ruffled in the darkness, extended high and wide, instinctively betraying every one of the pegasus's emotions. The once only threatening tears Daring had worked so hard to keep bottled up began flowing down her cheeks as she slowly turned her attention back to Rosetta.

“It's these, isn't it?” she choked, flapping her feathered appendages in demonstration. Rosetta's gaze fell back down to the pavement and Daring's heart shattered. “What about everything else?” she cried desperately. “All the dinners and the study sessions... What about last night? You didn't care about them before! I—I thought you were different...”

A long moment of silnce passed, filled with nothing but the occasional sniffle or rustling of leaves in the breeze. Every second the silence lasted drove a spike of pain deeper and deeper into Daring's heart. She didn't know how much time passed, but she somehow managed to avoid openly crying before Rosetta sighed in defeat.

“I should have nipped this in the bud years ago...” she said without looking up. “Back when I first saw it. But I thought it was only temporary...”

Daring's jaw dropped. “You knew?” she exclaimed. “You knew and you didn't say anything?”

“I'd hoped that you'd get over it, Darey!” Rosetta interjected, stomping her hoof for emphasis. “I can't... We can't...” She collapsed on her haunches and shook her head. “I can't do this...” she whispered.

“And why not?” Daring all but roared. “Because I've got wings instead of a stupid horn?”

“No, Darey!” Rosetta cried, gesturing around them. “I can't do this!” She let out a breathless sigh. “Not every time we're together! We're broken! It won't ever be the same...”

A horrible feeling settled in Daring's gut. “No...”

“Canterlot University offered me a position as their lead Archeology Professor a few weeks ago,” the unicorn continued despite Daring's increasing tears. “I was going to tell you tonight.”

“No...”

“I think it'd be best for both of us if I take it.”

“No!” Daring screamed, her voice cracking. “You can't just leave! We're best friends!”

Rosetta's eyes gleamed brightly in the moonlight. The tears streaming down her face lit little trails across her cheeks. “I have to, Darey,” she whispered, closing her eyes and turning around. “Good bye.” The shadows melted around her as she walked down the trail and into the darkness of the park.

Daring fell to her knees and howled in pain. How could everything have gone so wrong? She cried and screamed Rosetta's name and beat the pavement with her hooves, scraping away the rocks and bloodying her fetlocks. She cried until her voice abandoned her and her eyes dried, but nopony came to her side. After years of traveling the world and collecting the rarest and most precious of items, somehow she'd lost the most important one of them all right in her own backyard.


I wiped my eyes with a sniffle and turned the page, only to be met with a blank sheet of paper. “Huh?” Frowning, I turned the page again and found the same thing. “No...” I quickly flipped another page and was met with a black and white picture of an over-groomed stallion posing next to a tree. “No, no, no!” I screamed at him, “That can't be it! Rosetta totally loves her!”

It was so obvious! Rosetta was the only pony that didn't think Daring was dumb just because she liked action! She understood her like nopony else could! They'd been the closest of friends for years! They'd snuggled! Heck, Rosetta had even kissed her back! Daring Do lays her heart out on the table and Rosetta just stabs in right out front of her? I could feel my pulse pounding in my ears. I felt like smashing something! What kind of pony does that?

What was Daring supposed to do now? Where was she without Rosetta, her best and only friend? There had to be more—Rosetta wouldn't just do that to me! She couldn't just leave Daring crying in the park after shattering her dreams! Daring Do never lost! She'd get her somehow! She had to!

I flipped the book over and shook it for leaflets. I double-checked for loose pages or rip marks or page-count skips—anything that would tell me that that wasn't the end, but to no avail. “Argh! Stupid book!” I roared, throwing it as hard as I could. The tome sailed across the room and burst through the cloud wall with an anticlimactic poof, leaving a window-sized hole in the otherwise lonely and barren guest room. I stared at the hole, huffing and puffing and cursing the name “Rosetta Stone.” That book shouldn't have been printed. It shouldn't have even been written! Who could allow a book so full of false-hope and empty promises to reach the hooves of unsuspecting readers? That stupid book was better off lost!

Wait... “lost?”

“Oh, no...” I rushed to the wall and peered out of it. Tiny drops of ice cold rain settled on my mane and chilled the back of my neck. Dark clouds churned angrily below, but I couldn't see the book anywhere. “Oh, crap!” I groaned, closing my eyes and smacking my forehead with a hoof. I couldn't believe I'd just thrown a library book off of a cloud! “Twilight's gonna kill me...”

Through the makeshift window, I could make out the distant lights of the castle throne room, still twinkling after several hours. I wiped away another tear. “You know what?” I said after a moment, collapsing on the 'sill' and resting my head on my hooves. “Let her!” A dark chuckle forced its way up my throat. “I don't care anymore... It'll probably be the only time I see her for a year!”

The wind picked up, whipping more of the icy water into my face. It's over, I thought bitterly, fighting back the urge to kick something. Why did I ever think she'd pick me over her dream?

“Stupid me, I guess...” I grumbled. “Left the Wonderbolts, lost the girl...” Heck, I'd never apologized to Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie for making them cry, either—and that look of bitterness Rarity had taken to using on me wasn't exactly reassuring. “Probably ruined all of my friendships, too...” My lip quivered as I stared out at the rolling expanse of dangerous-looking thunderheads; I suddenly found it very difficult not to fall down crying just like Daring Do. “Why can't I do anything right?”

Thunder rolled through the clouds. The boulders that surrounded the castle walls glistened with rain by the light of the moon like a hoard of enormous earthen daggers. I stood up a little straighter as a new thought struck me. “Maybe I should just... go...” I leaned a little further out the window and watched the drops of water fall upon crags. It'd be so easy to just solve all of my problems right now...

Almost as soon as it occurred to me, I pushed it away. I was not gonna run away, no matter how painfully obvious it was that I'd royally screwed up my life. I shook my head and spread my wings in earnest. “I need to get outta here...” Ignoring the flash of pain in my wing, I leaped out of the hole and into the night sky. I twirled around the cloud tower a few times, then headed off in a random direction.

The weather team must have given up on controlling the storm, because the entire sky was covered in thick, black thunderheads. Right now, the rain was falling gently, but the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end; I knew this was only the beginning of one heck of a storm. A bolt of lightning shot through the air a few miles to my right. A split second later, an earsplitting thunderclap nearly deafened me. It sounded like somepony had just blew off a firework right next to my face. I shook my head and marveled at the sheer ferociousness of the sky.

A few years ago, I had been a part of a team that had created a large thunderstorm in Ponyville. It was simple enough, really. All we had to do was throw a bunch of clouds together and monitor them so that they didn't get out of hoof. I got stuck with the late shift that night and, consequently, fell asleep on a higher cloud bank. The next day, Twilight gave me an earful about how a tree had nearly destroyed the library and it had taken the hard work of her guests just to get it off her bed. I smiled at the memory. The reaming itself hadn't been particularly fun, but after she'd stopped yelling we'd gone out for “apology ice cream” and I promised never to let another giant stick assault her in her sleep again.

Another time, I'd had to make an emergency landing in the library after a stray bolt of lightning had nearly taken my wing off. Luckily, I'd only lost a few primaries—which Twilight dutifully grew back with a smile. I wanted to kiss her right there and tell her everything, but I didn't.

It's funny to think about, but there was a time when she'd outright grabbed my face and brought it to hers, proclaiming “you don't have to hid your feelings from me!” I'd thought I was found out—that somehow she'd discovered my feelings and that she was accepting me; I could have kissed her then, too. It's too bad life doesn't work that way.

My vision clouded as I flew out over Canterlot. Twilight and I had been best friends for so long—and these were all great memories. So why couldn't I stop crying? It wasn't like she was dead or anything, just gone.

Not even gone—just gone from my life. Moved on. Climbed the ladder. Raised her pay grade. However you put it, she wasn't going to be around me or the rest of her friends nearly as often anymore. She was going to live in Canterlot and be a Princess and the few times a year she'd manage to make her way down to little old Ponyville wouldn't be for me—they'd be for us. All of us. Her friends. If I could even call them that anymore; after the way I treated them and stormed out of the throne room, I wouldn't be surprised if they never wanted to see me again. I knew I didn't want to see Twilight—just the thought sent a fiery pain ripping through my heart.

“Guess we won't get to have that talk when 'we' get home, huh?” I mumbled bitterly to myself. “Figures. She also promised we'd be best friends forever and look what that lead to...”

The sky lit up again and a burst of thunder rocked the heavens. The rain pounded against my fur, soaking me to the bone. I shivered and sped up my pace, sailing past a giant billboard plastered with a picture of Spitfire in full Wonderbolts dress. A black silhouette with a wild mane and a question mark on its face stood next to her by the entrance to the Wonderbolt Academy. The words “Can you handle it?” floated across the top. I took a long hard look at it and felt a few more tears fall down my cheeks.

“You would've made one heck of a 'bolt, kid,” the gruff-yet-gentle voice of the Wonderbolt Captain whispered in my ear. “Was it worth it?”

I wiped my eyes and looked down. My rain-soaked mane clung to my face, obscuring my view of the advertisement. I shook my head. “I don't know...” I whispered. “I-I don't know anything anymore! I just...” I choked on a sob and turned away. “I don't know!”

Spitfire's grin greeted me when I looked back. Every self-assured fiber of her being resonated from that look and it boiled my blood. “Quit mocking me!” I pulled back a hoof and cracked it off her muzzle. Pain exploded up my leg and focused on my shoulder. The billboard flew backwards, then sprang back and smacked me in the face, knocking me off balance. “Ow!” I flapped wildly, but I continued to drop through the air. My wing screamed in agony—the loose and pulled muscles within it struggling just to maintain form as I stretched and tightened them in a desperate attempt to keep myself afloat in the air. “Ow! Ow! Ow!” For a minute, I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but I managed to straighten myself out before my wing gave up.

I hovered there for a few minutes and tried to slow my heart rate. I gulped as I looked down at the ground. I was only a few stories from the street; if I hadn't been such a skilled flier, I probably would've never made it. I bet Twilight would've liked that—I could practically hear her voice in my head right now: “Stupid! That was so stupid! You almost died!”

I huffed as I climbed through the air again. My wing now hurt a lot more during every flap, but I couldn't bring myself to land—flying the only way I knew how to relax and forget the world. Not that it was helping all that much lately.

“Oh, like you care!” I screamed. The sky rumbled back tenfold as lightning struck the water tower on the other side of the city.

“What's that supposed to mean?”

I sailed over the rooftops and reached cloud-level. The rain poured even harder now, each drop pelting me like hail. “You know darn well, Princess!”

I ripped through the air, flying like a bat out of Tartarus. A fierce crack echoed as another bolt of lightning burst onto some poor, unsuspecting pony's roof.

“Oh, what? You don't think I care if you live or die?”

“Who does!” I roared, bucking one of the lower clouds. It vanished in a puff of smoke. I sped through the rain as fast as I could, ducking and weaving around the tallest Canterlot buildings. “I—“ Rounding a bend, I spiraled around a pillar and somersaulted through a decorative hole. “—have—“ I twisted back around and arced over the building's shining copper roof. “—nothing!”

A bolt of lightning broke through the clouds above. There was a white flash and I only had time to scream in horror before it snaked through the air; in an instant, it struck the roof and exploded. I jumped backward as sparks flew. My wing screamed at the unexpected pressure and finally quit on me. The next thing I knew, I was falling again, but something was different about this time. Something important.

I didn't care.

I fell like a stone. Windows and lights zoomed past me. The wind whistled in my ears. The ground rushed toward me, welcoming me with sweet relief. No more worrying about Twilight. No more Wonderbolts. No more having to worry about my friends or the “what-ifs.” Just calm, cool serenity. Why didn't I think of this before?

I closed my eyes and waited for the inevitable: The final, bone-shattering impact that would finally end this nightmare I invited upon myself. I wondered how long it would take somepony to find me. Probably not that long—Canterlot's pretty busy during the day. My friends were sure in for a rude awakening. I bet Twilight will feel downright ashamed for breaking her promises! She'll probably cry, too! Good!

An image of Twilight's face drenched in tears as she lay over me filtered through my brain. I hoped she learned her lesson! I hoped she'd cry herself to sleep every night and wake up late every morning! If only Daring Do had thought of this! I... I...

Wait a minute... Was I seriously hoping to make Twilight cry? What was I thinking? I didn't want that! Twilight was my best friend, even if I was pretty steamed that she'd chosen being a Princess instead of being with me! And what about my friends? There was no reason I couldn't just apologize to them!

What kind of a pony was I becoming? I couldn't do this! I was Rainbow Dash and Rainbow Dash never runs away from her problems!

I opened my eyes and saw the ground rushing towards me. Three hundred hooves. Two hundred and fifty. Two hundred. I flared out my wings and felt the cold rain bounce off my feathers. Then I felt my wing joints scream. My vision turned red and I lost all feeling except for pain—horrible, horrible pain. The air twisted around my good wing, knocking me off balance. Still screaming in pain, I flipped uncontrollably through the air as I continued to drop. My vision returned just in time for me to see the grass waving gently below me.

“Ahh!”

I stretched out my hooves in a futile, last-chance effort to control some portion of my landing, but I hit the ground hard and something snapped. The rest of my body hit the ground an instant later and I screamed like a banshee as I slid across the grass, rocks, twigs and everything else that lay on the dirt.

Pain. That was my world—nothing but pain. As I lay crying in the pouring rain, I stared at the sky and wondered how I managed to survive such a horrible crash. A coppery taste filled my mouth and I couldn't even feel my wings anymore, but I was alive. Something warm trickled down my sides. Strangley, I felt so incredibly cold that I could hardly even remember what warmth felt like. A tingling sensation was all I could feel in the tips of my legs. But my heart beat slowly in my chest, like a well oiled machine. Too slowly, actually. That's when it hit me.

“No...”

I tried to sit up, but everything hurt. I wondered if there was a bone in my body I'd somehow managed to not break. Every time I tried to move, my vision clouded and I couldn't help but scream as a ferocious pain wracked my body. I struggled to breathe—just raising my chest was painful enough, and my breaths were getting more and more shallow.

“No!”

I couldn't be... I wouldn't just...

What were my friends going to think?

What was Twilight going to think?

There was no way! This couldn't be the end! It couldn't be!

“How could you, Rainbow?”

“Huh?” I bit my lip and twisted my head as much as I could without screaming. A unicorn stood in the distance, approaching with carefully measured steps. “Who's there?” I groaned. “Help...”

She had deep indigo fur and a light purple mane. On her face, she wore wire-framed glasses, which contrasted deeply with the—was that a Wonderbolts suit she was wearing? I blinked hard to double check. Yep, that was a unicorn wearing a flight suit.

“Help...”

She sat down in the grass just before me and shot daggers into my eyes. With a heavy thud, a book dropped right in front of my nose. I recognized the cover, but not before I recognized the mare who'd brought it to me.

“R-Rosetta Stone?” I gasped.

“You're pathetic,” was her response.

My jaw dropped. “Wha—“

“Look at you, crying in the grass just because you didn't get your way.”

I blinked slowly, trying to clear the darkness from my vision. Breathing was getting a little tiring now. And a lot more painful. “No...”

“Don't lie,” she growled, standing up. “You're getting what you deserve.” Her glasses fell off and suddenly her coat changed colors—morphing from deep indigo to a soothing lavender. Tears fell from her eyes. “Why couldn't you just be happy for me, Rainbow? You said you loved me, but now you're doing this...”

“No...” I whispered as she walked away. I tried to raise a hoof to reach out to her, but my leg wouldn't listen to the commands my brain was giving it; it lay motionless on the ground. “Twi, I'm sorry...”

The unicorn's form disappeared into the fog just as suddenly as it appeared. “Goodbye, Rainbow Dash.”

I laid on the ground, calling her name with what little strength I had left, but it was no use; Twilight wasn't going to come back. I was alone.

I was alone and I deserved it.

“Twilight...”

My eyelids grew heavier and heavier, and I just didn't have the energy to keep them open anymore. As the world grew black, I finally closed them for good.

Alone.