• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 8,195 Views, 412 Comments

Apple Scratch : A summer at the Farm - Mariacheat-Brony



(Humanized) After their decisive actions during Chrysalis' Invasion of Canterlot, Princess Celestia gives To Vinyl and her 'sister' Applejack an other Mission. One they would have hope it never befalls to them.

  • ...
19
 412
 8,195

A friend in the Guard

The two Apple siblings didn't catch much 'beauty sleep' last night. Vinyl and Applejack kept chatting about how things had happened between the two musicians until they both dozed off in the living room. It didn't stop them from waking up at the sound of the rooster and accomplishing their morning chores (even with a slower pace than usual). Vinyl, despite the lack of sleep, was in good mood. The fact that things worked out well between her and Octavia had given her energy to keep going. While they were in the kitchen, Applejack busy at the stove and Vinyl busy setting a tray with a one person breakfast, Rarity sneaked up on AJ before passing her arms around her waist and pecking AJ's cheek.

"Good Morning Darling." Rarity softly said.

" 'Morning, Sugar." Applejack said as she turned her face to peck the seamstress lips.

"What did I tell you yesterday about the PDA?" Vinyl chuckled.

"Why, hello to you too Vinyl. I think you said something as Applebloom doesn't need to know, and for now she's in the bathroom." Rarity playfully said as she turned to Vinyl. "I passed by Octavia's room before going down. I take it you two work things out."

"Something like that." Vinyl answered sheepishly with a growing blush. "Is she awake yet?"

"No, she's still sleeping." Rarity said with a soft smile. "She had such a peaceful expression on her face. May I ask, why are you asking that?"

"I promised to wake her up for breakfast." Vinyl casually said, pointing at the tray she was preparing.

"Oh breakfast in bed, how lovely.." Rarity said before eying the tray. "Hmm, fresh pressed apple juice, her favorite jam, a flower,...Just like a lover's break....Hold on, when you said 'work things out' did you mean it like.." Rarity asked as her eyes lit up in realization.

"Yeah, kinda like you and AJ." Vinyl said with a soft smile, before being hugged by Rarity.

"Oh congratulations dear, now tell me everything. I want all the details." Rarity asked with big shiny eyes.

"Maybe later, now I have a breakfast to deliver." Vinyl said as she escaped the seamstress' grip and made way to Octavia's room with her tray.

As Vinyl went out of the kitchen, Rarity nudged AJ's left arm. "Why didn't you do that?" She asked playfully but not without a pinch of jealousy.

"Did what now?"

"Bring me breakfast in bed like your sister. It would have been so romantic." Rarity whined a little.

"Ah do different things than ma sis." AJ casually answered.

"Pray tell, what sort of things?"

"Things like this." AJ said before passing an arm around Rarity's waist before lifting her close for a deep passionate kiss. "Ain't that better than a breakfast ya would have eaten anyway? Be it in bed or not." She asked seductively after breaking the kiss.

"I must admit you're right about that." Rarity beamed at Applejack.


Vinyl was about to enter Octavia's room when Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy exited their room. Rainbow gave Vinyl a dark gaze, much to Vinyl's lack of understanding.

"There's a problem RD?" Vinyl asked confused.

"So you're finally back." Rainbow slowly said. "Where were you with Octavia, yesterday during the night?"

"Near lil' Bloom's clubhouse, why?"

"For more than two hours?" RD asked with suspicion.

"Rainbow..I think you should just drop it, I mean if you want to ." Fluttershy quietly chimed in.

"We had things to talk about." Vinyl was getting annoyed by Rainbow's overprotectiveness. "If you'll excuse me, I was off to bring her breakfast."

"Why? Can't she come down and having breakfast with all of us?" Rainbow asked with a dark glare.

"Rainbow...."

"What are you trying to imply?" Vinyl asked slowly.

"Nothing, just asking why you'd make her eat on her own?"

"I do not make her eat on her own, I just want to go wake her up. Like I promised her yesterday." Vinyl said.

"Humph. Yeah sure." Rainbow said as she rolled her eyes.

"Rainbow, that's enough." Said Fluttershy quietly but firmly. "We don't know what happened and from what I see, things are better now, so stop being mean. If you want to that is."

"Fine." Rainbow sighed as she passed next to Vinyl

"Vinyl, I'm sorry about her." Fluttershy sighed. "She has a tendency to overreact when she thinks one of us has been hurt." She took notice of the tray in Vinyl's hand. "Was that for Octavia?" She asked in a squeaky voice.

"Yeah, I..kinda wanted to wake her up with a little surprise."Vinyl said sheepishly.

"D'aww, that's so sweet." Fluttershy said with a small smile. "I'll let you do your thing then." She added softly before going downstairs as well.

Vinyl magically opened the door of Octavia's bedroom and closed it silently behind her. She put the tray on the nightstand, and kneeled right next to the bed. Octavia was peacefully sleeping, her face, turned toward Vinyl, covered by her long dark hair. Vinyl delicately moved Octavia's hair out of the way. When she did, Octavia's eyes slowly opened.

"Good morning, sleepy head." Vinyl said affectionately as she kissed Octavia's forehead.

"Good morning" She softly answered before sitting up in bed.

"I brought you breakfast." Vinyl said as she levitated the tray in front of Octavia.

"Thank you, Vinyl." Octavia said with a growing smile. "Come on, sit with me." She added before making space next to her.

"Don't have to tell me twice." Vinyl said grinning.

Vinyl took the spot next to Octavia who rested her head on Vinyl's shoulder. Octavia sighed with contentment, enjoying the proximity they were having with each other.

"So what do you have planned for today?" Octavia asked.

"As soon as breakfast is over, AJ and I will go to Ponyville to see the Guard concerning that Laurel fella." Vinyl explained.

"Do you have to do that so soon?" Octavia pouted in an almost irresistible way.

"The sooner it's done, the sooner we're back." Vinyl chuckled. "After that, you and I'll spend the rest of the day together."

" A nice day in perspective, it seems." Octavia happily said. "Anyway, everything on this tray looks delicious. Care to help me with that?" She asked.

"Hmmm. Having breakfast and spending quality time with you or going downstair and having to battle Pinkie and Rainbow for the Honeycrisp's jam.... Tough decision." Vinyl pondered playfully.

"I'll kiss you if you stay here." Octavia said seductively. "I'll even give you my bacon."

"You had me at the kiss part, but I won't say no to the bacon though." Vinyl said happily.


AJ and Vinyl were on their way to Ponyville. Vinyl was driving the cart while AJ was lying in the cart's rear, her hat covering her eyes from the sun. They had dropped Applebloom at the meeting point where she joined Miss Cheerilie and the other kids for their two days long hiking trip. Now they were chatting about stuff of high importance for Sweet Apple Acres.

"No, AJ. I have no idea where in Ponyville you could take Rarity on a date Saturday." Vinyl said, rather exasperated.

Or not.

"Come on Vi, ya said ya would support me in ma relationship." AJ complained. "Ya ain't of great support right now."

"Ok first of all, I said I would support you if Granny and/or Big Mac are having a problem with us dating other women. Nothing more." Vinyl snapped. "It's not my fault, if you asked Rarity on a date without having any idea of what to do."

"Yeah but in high-school, ya were the one with lots of dates." AJ said. "Ya must know the good spots."

"Please AJ, grabbing a cup of coffee with some dude or chick after school is no date." Vinyl explained slowly. "Beside, it's been four years since I last went out in Ponyville."

"Darn it. Ah forgot about that. Ya have no idea who ah could ask?"

"Hmm. Cloud Kicker's still in the guard, isn't she?" Vinyl asked. "Considering all the dates she has been to, she must know the good spots."

"Ah reckon ah could ask her. Ah just hope she'll behave..." AJ pondered before feeling the cart stopping. "Why did ya stop the cart?"

"Looks like you were right AJ." Vinyl started as she rose from her seat. "There..."

"Don't tell me, there's group of thugs that just got out of the bushes and are blocking the road." Applejack said as she took her hat off her face and put it next to her.

"Eeeeyuuup." Vinyl answered, cracking her knuckles.

"Are they armed with bats, club and what not?" AJ asked as she stood up.

"Most of them." Vinyl shrugged, rolling her shoulders.

"Are we in the right circumstances for legitimate defense?" Applejack asked, facing the threat in front of the cart. A dozen of well built men mostly armed with wooden truncheon were all standing in cart's way.

"Undoubtedly." Vinyl said with a small grin as she focused her magic in her hands.

Applejack grinned as well before bumping her fists together. "Bring it on."


The rest of the way to the guard post went rather slowly. The cause of that was rather evident, twelves unconscious men were quite a weight for the horses that were pulling the cart. It didn't stop them of course, but it did slowed them down a bit.

"You think the guards will appreciate our little delivery?" Vinyl asked casually.

"Well we couldn't let them there, could we?" Applejack said in a shrug.

Soon after, they stopped the cart in front of the guard post. The two guards at the entrance were rather surprised to see two young women driving a cart full of wounded in front of them. They had trouble in believing the story told by Vinyl and Applejack. Their discussion was interrupted by the arrival of a blond jupitarian woman in a red armor with grey-purple wings.

"It's ok, boys. I'll take it from here." The woman said with a playful yet strict voice.

"I'll be, if it isn't Sergeant Cloud Kicker." Vinyl grinned.

"It's Lieutenant Cloud Kicker now, Vinyl." Cloud Kicker chuckled before fist bumping Vinyl and Applejack. "How have you two been?" She took an eye at the cart's load. "Pretty busy as I can see. Would you mind explaining that to me?"

Vinyl and Applejack proceed to explain everything that has happened because of Vinyl's misfortune. The attempt at the farm and the failed 'cooperation talk' form earlier.

Cloud Kicker pondered for a moment. "We heard rumors about that Caesar Laurel. Looks like they were true. Guards, take these guys to the infirmary, and once they are treated to the cells." She ordered pointing the cart.

"Pardon me, Ma'am." A guard chimed in. "But you're believing those two just like that?"

"Of course." Cloud Kicker answered immediately. "Why wouldn't I trust two of the most honest citizen in town who helped in the royal wedding incident?"

The guard didn't bother to answer and did what he had been ordered to. Once that was done, Cloud Kicker took the two Apple siblings inside her office to fill a proper complaint against Caesar Laurel. When they finished, Cloud Kicker sent a squad to Caesar's house for a deep search. Much to Vinyl' surprise.

"I thought it'd take few days before you'd take action..."

"Na, I'm getting you a speed up version." Cloud Kicker shrugged. "Your words is enough for me, and according to what you said, you have a member of the Council that backs it up. It has nearly as much value as one of the Princesses' word." Cloud Kicker explained. "By the way, how come she was in your 'gym' AJ?"

"Well,..." AJ started.

"Oh, she was busy massaging AJ's back." Vinyl simply said with a sly grin.

Cloud Kicker blinked several times in confusion. "What?"

"Yeah, my sister gets massaged by the royals, ain't that awesome?" Vinyl said proudly while AJ was shrinking in embarrassment.

"Okay, sure, let's go with that." Cloud Kicker said slowly with knowing smile. "But why was she in Sweet Apple Acres?"

"Oh Yeah that." Vinyl chuckled. "They're all staying at the farm for a couple of weeks."

"Hold on. You're telling me that the six hottest young women in the Country are at your farm?" Cloud Kicker asked with interest.

"Ah would have thought a guard like ya would use 'nother descriptive, CK." AJ said with a raise of eyebrow.

"That's it, I'm dinning at your place tonight." Cloud Kicker said hopefully.

"NO." The both Apple shouted in unison.

"Oh come on guys, you know me."

"That's exactly why you're 'persona non grata' on the farm." Vinyl said.

"Besides, what in tarnation makes ya think their barn door swing that way?" Applejack asked.

"Easy. Everyone's barn door swings toward Cloud Kicker." CK bragged.

"Weird, Ah never remember my door swinging for ya." AJ said sarcastically. "Same for Vinyl."

"Details. Details." Cloud Kicker waved.

"Either way, one is the sister of your big boss." Vinyl explained slowly. "Another is too sweet for us to permit your approach on her. Another brags too much for you to handle. And the last one is still a minor.

"That's only four out of the six." Cloud Kicker noted. "If I play my cards well enough with the last two, it could end in a th..."

"The other two are off limits, CK." AJ and Vinyl shouted in unison.

"Fine. Fine. I give up. No need to get all synchronized on me." Cloud Kicker sighed in defeat. "Geez. It's like Big Macintosh's case, all over again."

"And be grateful you didn't get your ass kicked too much by us for that back then." Vinyl said.

"Don't worry about that, I still am and probably ever be grateful for that." Cloud Kicker chuckled. "Anyway, now that the serious stuff's done. How about a drink for old time's sake? I have my break in a few minutes."

"We might not have time for a drink, CK. Sorry." Vinyl said. "But AJ has something to ask you."

"Ok, hit me."

"Ah need some advice for a date." AJ hesitantly said.

"Whooo. Interesting. Our little Applejack's finally getting some action." Cloud Kicker said with sparkling eyes. "What do you want to know?"

"Do ya know any good place for a first date?"

"Well, it depends." Cloud Kicker pondered. "Who's your date?" AJ mumbled her answer but no one understood her. "Can you repeat that please?" Cloud Kicker chuckled along with Vinyl.

"..Rarity Belle." AJ let out with a sigh.

Cloud Kicker's eyes widened in shock before returning to their usual playful glint. "Girls. We're so getting that drink..."

Author's Note:

a little wink at the Winning Pony from Chengar Qordath. (read it if you haven't, the Winningverse is awesome.)