• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 8,192 Views, 412 Comments

Apple Scratch : A summer at the Farm - Mariacheat-Brony



(Humanized) After their decisive actions during Chrysalis' Invasion of Canterlot, Princess Celestia gives To Vinyl and her 'sister' Applejack an other Mission. One they would have hope it never befalls to them.

  • ...
19
 412
 8,192

Octavia's fear

It has been a couple of days since Applejack's and Vinyl's coming out to Granny Smith. The matriarch didn't seem to mind the proximity between her granddaughters and their girlfriends. She'd accepted them to share bedroom, even if it was more a matter of comfort for her grandchildren, sleeping on a couch and working hard were not a pretty good match. Well they could share bed, but they had to respect the house's rules, so no funny business. It was hard for the couples, but their fear of being caught pants down and shirt lifted by the elder woman prevailed on their needs to satisfy their urges.

Things were pretty good for Sweet Apple Acres, this year's Zap Apple Harvest was one of the best they had. All their batches were sold faster than one could say Lickity Split. Vinyl claimed that if the coming Cider Season was half as good as it usually was, the farm would have made its biggest profits in the last five years. That made her and Applejack work with high spirits, even if they had to work harder to compensate their brother's absence.

It was Sunday afternoon, Vinyl was enjoying her very first free time of the week with Octavia. They were 'working' on one of Octavia's latest composition. The cellist was resting her head on Vinyl's shoulder as they were both sitting on the living room while Vinyl was reading one of the many music sheets. Octavia snuggled a bit, trying to get the blue haired musician's attention, something she succeeded in as Vinyl put the sheet on the coffee table and faced toward her lover with a smile before kissing her softly.

The front door bursted itself open, letting a angered Applejack in. She was rubbing a quite large bruise on her arm.

"Consarn it! VINYL! Where the buck are ya?" She shouted in a anger tone.

"Applejack, watch yer language in this here house!" Chastised the voice of Granny Smith from the kitchen wherein she was busy teaching some pastry's recipe to Pinkie Pie. The elder woman grew fond of the overly happy pink haired girl and was willing to teach her some of her cooking special tricks.

Not being unsettled at all by her sister's shout, Vinyl first finished to kiss her lover properly, and when that was taken care off, she turned her face to see what Applejack wanted.

"What is it Applejack?" Vinyl asked casually.

"Alizee's misbehavin', that's what it is." Applejack said pointing her bruised arm. "Ah tried to get her out of her paddock and she tried to buck me."

"Fine, Fine. I'll go and take care of her." Vinyl sighed reluctantly as she escaped Octavia's grip and rose up. "Octavia, you want to come with me?"

"Sure." Octavia immediately nodded. "Were are we going?"

"To the stables." Vinyl casually answered. She didn't notice that Octavia's expression fell at the mention of the stables.

In the next few minutes, they entered the stables in which almost all paddocks were empty as AJ had let the horses out in the pen. There was only one paddock that was still closed. Vinyl signaled Octavia to stay at distance.

"Might be good for you to remain here." Vinyl explained. "At least, until I get her out."

Octavia internally sighed in relief. "Ok, I'll just stay here." Octavia said trying to let out her normal voice." What's in there?"

"Oh yeah, I didn't explain." Vinyl said as she approached the closed paddock. "That's Alizee's paddock."

"And who's this Alizee?" Octavia asked. "A girl, I should be worried about?"

"I wouldn't go that far." Vinyl chuckled. She opened the paddock. "Hey there, beautiful." She said softly earning a loud, sort of happy, whinny from the inside of the paddock that caused Octavia to flinch. "Come out, now. Don't be shy. There's someone I want you to see." Vinyl said in a motherly tone as she extended her hand toward the paddock.

A beautiful deep-black mare, smaller than Vinyl at the withers, came out of the paddock. She brought her snout in contact with the extended hand in front of her. Vinyl slowly started to rub the head of the mare who closed her eyes, enjoying the strokes.

"Miss me?" Vinyl asked in a low voice, the mare shook her head in what looked like a nod. "I did neglect you, didn't I?" Vinyl said in apologetic tone as the mare answered her with a nod again. "Still, it's no excuse to be mad at AJ." The equine neighed hard. it looked like a laughter. "Don't you laugh at her, Missy. May I remind you she's the one who took care of you when I was away in Manehatten." Vinyl chastised the horse who got out of the paddock. The mare tried to nuzzle Vinyl's head. "Hey, hey, now. Stop it. It tickles." Vinyl chuckled, before tapping the horse's side. "Come on, why don't you go outside with the others? To get some fresh air?" After one last nuzzle, the mare slowly trotted toward in the exit that gave access to the pen.

Octavia watched Vinyl in amazement, she had only witnessed such proximity with an animal on Fluttershy. Vinyl walked back to her. "You could give some pointers to Fluttershy with what you just did." Octavia slowly said. "I heard her saying that there was a mare that was quite hard to handle when she came to tend the animals with Applebloom or Applejack."

"I don't think Fluttershy need any pointers regarding animal care." Vinyl waved off with a chuckle. "It's just that Alizee only answers to me when she's being difficult. After all, she is my horse."

"You mean like you're the only that can ride her?"

"Exactly! Not that I want to be exclusive, mind you." Vinyl giggled. "I'm just the only one she accepts on her back." Vinyl's eyes lit up suddenly. "Hey, I got an idea! Why don't we go on a horse ride, just the two of us?"

"Oh! Well. It would have been with pleasure, but I don't know how to ride a horse." Octavia quickly answered, trying hard not to shake in fear at that thought.

"Oh that's too bad." Vinyl said softly. "Maybe I can teach you?" Vinyl asked with a big smile

Octavia pondered for a while, she didn't want to try but she didn't want to disappoint Vinyl. "I guess we could try..." She finally said.

Vinyl led Octavia in a smaller pen attached to the main one inside of which the half a dozen of horses the Apples owned were trotting around. Octavia waited a few minutes for Vinyl to come back in the small pen with a palomino work horse about Octavia's size.

"Octavia. Meet Amadeus, the nicest and sweetest horse in Sweet Apple Acres." Vinyl said happily.

"Hel-Hello." Octavia said hesitantly, before facing Vinyl. "What do I do now?" She asked.

"Well, for starter, you and him must make acquaintance." Vinyl explained with a smile as she took position between Octavia and Amadeus. "You saw what I did with Alizee, right?"

"You mean when you extended your hand and she came to you?"

"Yes. You're gonna do the same." Vinyl said. "He doesn't know you yet, so you'd have to meet him halfway."

Octavia extended her right hand toward the horse. Amadeus eyed the offering hand with curiosity before taking a step forward.

"That's good, he's interested." Vinyl said softly. "Take a step toward him as well."

Octavia did as Vinyl said, taking a step only after the palomino horse did. Soon the horse head was only a couple of inches away from Octavia's hand. Vinyl could not see it well from where she stood, but Octavia's hand was shaking like a leaf in a storm. Octavia didn't take a step further, she kept watching the horse with caution.

"Octavia, are you ok?" Vinyl asked with concern when she noticed that Octavia was shaking.

Octavia remembered Vinyl was watching and tried to make a quick step forward. But she tripped and her hand flew quickly toward the stallion's eye.

"OCTAVIA!" Vinyl yelled in a panic, as Amadeus reared up with a loud scared whinny. Octavia froze in front of the horse, she saw his hooves coming up before coming down right at her. She shrieked as she cowered in a ball and closed her eyes in fear. The impact never came, but she heard a pained grunt with a small thud coming from right in front of her.

She opened her eyes and saw Vinyl's pained face above hers. She realized that Vinyl had interposed herself between the stallion and her. Vinyl grabbed her and pulled her away from the pen center. Octavia noticed the horse was a few feet behind them, not moving, it seemed pained and ashamed somehow.

"Octavia, are you ok?" Vinyl asked with a small panting voice.

"I'm fine but what about you?" Octavia stammered, her voice still shaking.

"I think I got hit on the back..." Vinyl said slowly with a grimace as she felt around her shoulder blade. "Do me a favor, go fetch AJ."

"But...But."

"NOW!" Vinyl snapped. Octavia quickly turned heels and ran back toward the house.


Vinyl had been carried by Applejack back to the farm house, in which Granny and Fluttershy had prepared the dining table with blankets and sheets so that Vinyl could lie on top of it. Octavia was sobbing in Rarity's arms as the seamstress tried to reassure her friend. Pinkie and Rainbow were keeping Applebloom occupied upstairs, and Twilight had come back from the bathroom with all the medical supplies she could find.

Grunting heavily and cursing, Vinyl laid on her belly on top of the table.

"Where does it hurt, sweetie?" Granny said softly, she managed to remain calm.

"..My back.." Vinyl muttered in pain.

Granny gulped. "Ah'm gonna have to take yer shirt off for that, honey."

Small tears appeared in Vinyl's eyes. Granny could see that they weren't only because of the pain. "...Don't care..."

"Applejack!" Granny ordered in a firm voice. Applejack grabbed both sides of Vinyl's shirt and ripped it open since they couldn't turn Vinyl around. When they caught a glimpse of Vinyl's back, Rarity, Fluttershy and Twilight gasped in shock. Their gaze didn't focus on the two large bruises in the middle of Vinyl's shoulder blades, they were focused on all the scars spread on her back. Octavia couldn't bear to look.

"Fluttershy! Snap out of it." Applejack shouted. "Ya're the one with medical trainin' here."

"Oh sorry! Right! Right." Fluttershy said in a unusual normal volume. " Hum. I'm going to have to check her wounds." She started to feel around Vinyl's bruises. As soon as her fingertips touched her skin, Vinyl started to yell in pain and her body shifted violently.

"Applejack, Hold her down." Granny ordered as she put a cloth in Vinyl's mouth, for her to bite on it. She started to pat slowly her granddaughter's head. "It's gonna be all right Sweetie."

Applejack grabbed her sister's shoulders, carefully avoiding her bruises, and maintained her upper body down. Fluttershy started to feel her bruises quickly but firmly. Vinyl let out a muffled scream of pain and tried to move but Applejack's grip was too strong.

"Ok, no bones seem to be broken." Fluttershy slowly said after a few minutes of fumbling. "There might be a small crack on it but I doubt it. All the impact was absorbed by her muscles."

"What about them, then?" Applejack asked.

"She was lucky, the horse didn't hit as hard as he could have." Fluttershy said before searching into the first aid kit Twilight had brought.

"Thank Faust, It was Amadeus and not Philibert." Applejack commented to herself.

"Got it." Fluttershy said as she opened a bottle of ointment and poured some in her hand. "Vinyl, I'm sorry but it's gonna hurt." she warned as she rubbed her hands together. "Twilight, keep the bottle next to me, just in case." She positioned her hands above Vinyl's back. "Here goes!"

Fluttershy started to apply the ointment meticulously on every inches of Vinyl's wounds, causing her to scream again in the cloth. It lasted for about five minutes, when Fluttershy finished with the ointment she asked Twilight to use her magic to put the gauzes on top of the wound, explaining that doing it by magic would have put less pressure and would be more bearable for Vinyl. As soon as the gauzes were in place and secured, Rarity levitated a light white sheet to delicately cover Vinyl's back.

Granny put the cloth out of Vinyl's mouth. Vinyl was panting heavily. As her grandmother patted her head, slowly but surely, her breathing returned to normal. At some point, Vinyl tried to stand up. Fluttershy rushed at her side.

"Vinyl, you have to lie down." Fluttershy said in her usual quiet voice.

"I know 'Shy. But Im not gonna remain on the dining table." Vinyl slowly grunted with a hoarse voice. She managed to stand up and walked slowly outside the room, she took support on the door frame. "Octavia, could you accompany me to our room?" She asked slowly to her lover who, for the first time since Vinyl had been brought in, looked up from Rarity's arms. Her eyes were bloodshot from crying, Vinyl knew she needed to rest as much as herself. "Please?" Octavia slowly nodded, before taking Vinyl's hand. They both slowly went upstairs.

After they had left, Fluttershy and Twilight helped Granny Smith to clean up the table, while Applejack let herself fall on one of the living room's couch, rubbing her eyes with her right hand. Rarity sat next to her.

"Are you all right, Darling?" Rarity asked with concern.

"Ah'm fine." Applejack slowly said. "It's just..Ah don't like the fact that Vinyl had to show her back to all of ya."

"What do you mean?"

"She hates that folks know about it." Applejack slowly explained. "As soon as they know, folks act different toward her. She never complained about it, but Ah know it pains her."

"That's understandable." Rarity pondered for a few moments. " Now that I think about it, a lot of Titanian doctors probably have spells to make scars disappear. Did you ever think of that? "

"Of course, Ah thought of that." Applejack said sharply. " She said she wasn't interested when Ah talked to her about it."

"That's odd." Rarity frowned in confusion. "Did she explain why?"

"Not really." Applejack shook her head. "Ah remember her sayin' it's about rememberin' something."

"Remember what ?"

"If only Ah knew about that." Applejack sighed. "She never went into the details about it. Or at least not with me."

"Did she ever talk to anyone about it?" Rarity asked.

"Ah don't know, maybe to our Mom and Dad, maybe to Granny. Ah ain't sure." Applejack said. "Ah don't think, she'll ever talk about it to anyone. Well, except maybe with Octavia." Applejack conceded with a small smile. "She's probably the only one, who can manage that by now."

"Is that admiration in your voice?" Rarity asked with a crooked eyebrow. "Beware Darling, I tend to be rather possessive." She warned playfully.

"No worry, Ah only fall for gals who let their physical needs take control of their actions. So ya'll completely safe, Ah ain't gonna look around." Applejack shrugged playfully.

"I fail to see similarities with me in that description." Rarity said with narrowed eyes.

"If ya said so Sugarcube." Applejack conceded. "But, Ah'm sure as sugar that it's yer hand that Ah feel on ma buttocks. And Ah know it was on ma shoulder when this here conversation started."


Vinyl had laid down on her side, she tapped the bed slowly to ask her lover to come and lay down next to her.

"You need to rest Vinyl." Octavia slowly said. "you'll rest better with more space on the bed for you."

"No. I'll rest better if my girlfriend's right next to me." Vinyl said with conviction.

Vinyl glared at Octavia until she gave in and reluctantly laid down at her lover's side, but only showing her her back.

"Octavia. As much as I love watching your backside, I would like to see your face, now." Vinyl playfully chuckled, regretting it a bit as it made her move her back a little.

Octavia didn't face Vinyl, she only started to shake like a leaf. "I'm sorry."

"About what?"

"About what happened to you." Octavia said, her voice on the verge of cracking. Vinyl used her magic to make Octavia turn around and face her. Her gaze met Octavia's, it was full of remorses and tears. "If only I had told that....." Octavia tried to explained but couldn't finish her sentence.

"That you're afraid of horses?" Vinyl suggested slowly. Octavia flinched. Vinyl brought her hand to Octavia's face. "Hey, it's ok. There's nothing wrong with that."

"But if I hadn't been so scared, it wouldn't have happened." Octavia said, not looking at Vinyl's face as she felt unworthy to do so.

"Because you think that accidents like this happen only to those who're scared of horses?" Vinyl said. "Because that's what it was, an accident. Accidents happen to everyone, it's no one's fault."

Octavia didn't say anything.

"But I want to know something." Vinyl slowly started. "If you're scared of them, why didn't you tell me about it when I proposed to teach you how to ride?"

Octavia gulped. "I've always wanted to get over it sometime, and when I saw how happy you were at the prospect of us going horse riding together...I thought it would be ok to start now.." Octavia explained slowly.

"You have no idea how much it pleases me that you're willing to try to face your fear for me." Vinyl beamed. She eyed Octavia with interest. "If you're still up for it, as soon as I'm in better shape, we can start the lessons again." Octavia looked up at Vinyl.

"I'm not sure...What if it happens again?" Octavia asked hesitantly.

"Well, now that I know about your little problem. I know what to look out for." Vinyl said smiling. "We'll just start with a foal at first." Vinyl chuckled softly.

For the first time in the last hours, Octavia smiled. "You're incredible. You always manage to make me feel better." She said with affection, before snuggling Vinyl.

"Yeah, I'm pretty good." Vinyl admitted with false modesty, before yawning a bit. "What do you say we try to get some sleep? The day has been tough for both of us."

"Of course." Octavia slowly said. "Want me to move so you can get comfortable?"

"I'm always comfortable when you're in my arms, Lady Philharmonica." Vinyl chuckled as she passed her arms around Octavia's back.

"Likewise, Miss Apple." Octavia sleepily added before closing her eyes. "Likewise."

Author's Note:

Hey I need some help with the horses of the Apple family.
So if anyone has any suggestion for names and coat color, they are welcome to voice them.

Just so you know we have
Alizee : Pure black coat and mane mare (Vinyl's mare, arabian horse)
Philibert : Chestnut work horse (Applejack's horse, Percheron)
Amadeus : Palomino work horse (Percheron as well)
I need three more so anyone got an idea?

Hope you enjoyed.
Mariacheat-Brony.