• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 19,860 Views, 94 Comments

Running From Myself - torrentialCAM



The way others perceive us can affect how we perceive ourselves, and the results are rarely pretty.

  • ...
9
 94
 19,860

Epilogue

…And, after all, why not? Because right now, that me-time was the absolute last time on Twilight’s mind.

***

Dear Princess Celestia,

Normally, I give you my friendship reports from an objective perspective, a third-pony view. But this is something that I think should be spoken of as a personal matter. Years ago, you tried to help me overcome the problems of social interaction and the issues of peer bonding that had driven me further into isolation as a filly, and for that, I do thank you.

But it turns out that this was something I needed to work through on my own. Some ponies came into town recently who I had hoped to never see again, and they brought to light some issues from my past that I had thought I had left behind me.

But the fact was, I really hadn’t ever let go of it. I was so terrified of letting that mockery define me that, inadvertently, it did.

They hurt me, Princess Celestia. I can’t deny that. And I don’t have any genuine desire to see them again. But if our paths do cross again, I won’t be afraid. Because wounds can heal, given the right equipment.

So my friendship report is thus:

We all have memories and experiences that we wish we could blink out of existence, but dwelling on them and letting them consume you will just lead you down dark roads and dead ends. It’s not always as easy as simply letting go, but when you feel you’re at your wit’s end, your friends will be there with open hooves. Keeping things bottled up inside just makes things worse, because sometimes the root of the problem is admitting that you have a problem in the first place. But at the same time, you can’t chase happiness by trying to micro-manage every facet of your existence.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle

Twilight smiled softly as Spike rolled the letter into a perfect scroll, gave a great breath and huffed, sending the friendship report far to Canterlot. The unicorn had given Spike the letter to take mere minutes after her friends had left from Pinkie Pie’s spontaneous ‘Twilight having come home from being out’ party; streamers and various balloons had yet to be taken down.

Spike turned away, only to find his foot pressing down on a ruby balloon. He was too far committed to the step to turn back, and the balloon burst under his weight, causing the baby dragon to cry out and stumble, his arms flailing. On his way, he smacked into several of Twilight’s bookshelves, sending various tomes clattering to the floor before he could stop himself.

When Spike finally lost his footing and fell on his side, he spied a wide-eyed Twilight rushing to his aid.

“Spike! Are you okay?!”

“Peachy,” Spike grumbled as he picked himself up. But his eyes widened when he saw just how many of her books lay in jumbled, mussed piles. “Oh, uh – I’ll get these right away! Let’s see…”

“Don’t worry about it, Spike. I’ll get them later.” Twilight said softly, an oddly contented smile on her features. The baby dragon blinked and mouthed out, ‘really?’, to which she picked up on and responded, “Really, Spike. Don’t worry about it.”

As Twilight climbed to her bedroom, a cursory glance out the window reminded her that the pegasi had long-scheduled quite the rainstorm for tonight, to give the plantlife the nourishment denied over the relatively sunny week. Even before she opened up the window and stepped out onto the balcony, she could hear the gentle pitter-patter of the rain cascading from the leaves.

But as Twilight stepped out to the railing, that soft and contented smile remained on her face, and was only amplified when she felt the cool, soothing rain droplets – not so hard, but almost like a fast-acting bath – falling along her body.

As she leaned on the balcony railing, Twilight’s smile broke into a small laugh.

“You know…” She said out loud to nopony in particular, and yet anypony, “I’m really happy to be me.”

***

"Oh, my my...I've scarcely seen our Twilight looking quite so relieved." Rarity said to nopony in particular as she stepped back into the comforts of her Boutique. Her specialized saddle-and-umbrella had prevented her from enduring quite the soaking during the rain, but she nonetheless used a small magical surge to lift it off her and back with a stylish flair and onto its proper rack as soon as the door closed behind her.

"Myyyaow!"

"Opal, dear, is that you?" Rarity called out as she wiped her hooves. "Where-ever have you been all day? I should have you know I've just had the most splendid evening, and..." Her voice trailed off when she heard the faint sounds of that finicky snow-white cat scratching at something. It wasn't an uncommon occurrence, but none the less Rarity cantered around the corner to investigate.

"Opal, what in Equestria are you doing?" The unicorn's eyes bolted wide when she saw the mess that had become of her floor. The feline had evidently found two rather delicate and expensive instruments lying on the ground in this room...two top-of-the-line, Pony-Excel cameras. One was emblazoned with 'M.Treborne' in glittery lettering, and the other with 'B.Parapet' in much the same fancy script.

The cat gave a hearty, contented meow as she ran her claws through the several days' worth of film, and it came back to Rarity in a flash: the mares Parapet and Treborne, putting their cameras down right before Ms. Parapet hit her with a memory-share spell, and being so intimidated afterwards that they had forgotten their equipment...and by the time they realized it, Rarity had already gone, and locked up shop.

Cameras full of landscape footage that, due to the next few days being scheduled for rain, would be irreplaceable on their schedules. It was just quite unfortunate that such a posh magazine as Wings And Wonders would be unlikely to overlook such an error on the part of its employees.

All in all, quite unfortunate. Such a shame, with nothing able to be done about it.

Opal tilted her head as she looked up at Rarity.

"....Do you believe that what goes around, comes around, Opal?"

"....Myaow."

Comments ( 61 )

:applecry: Very nice story.

#3 · Jan 28th, 2012 · · ·

As someone who's been bullied and picked on in the past...

I just...there are no words.

This story really made me tear up.

All I can say is...

Thank you.

Beautiful. That's all that needs to be said.

does she kill herself in ch2

I think, when it comes down to it, fics like this are the best sort.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for adventurous fics or romance fics and sometimes the occasional crossover or a tactfully-handled grimdark. They're all good.

But this, this kind of simple, almost episodic thing? This is what the show is all about. And it doesn't need to be any more complex than this--pure, honest, emotional, but completely and entirely beautiful in its simplicity. So there are some pretty amazing adventure fics and some pretty gripping mysteries and some pretty endearing romances, but all of those are fluff--things we as writers, as people, impose on their world because they're part of our frame of reference. And I'm guilty of that, too; I write that kind of stuff.

This is what the show is about. This is what the fandom is about. It's so... refreshing to see something like this.

You have my deepest gratitude.

The situation is unfortunately realistic, tragic and unfortunately... very dangerous when the target is a super-powered unicorn with massive, cosmic powers.

181785

I'm not sure. I just checked after reading your post, thinking I might have misplaced an italics bracket or something, but there's nothing of the sort on my screen. I know the kind of thing you mean, but it might just be an error in the way the page loaded for you or something.

This was absolutely marvelous! It was very beautiful and moving.

183127

You've got a point. The image I had in my mind was that the leaves catch fire, and then it spreads right down to the body of the tree, but your suggestion makes more sense overall. It'll be done! :rainbowdetermined2:

I enjoyed everything BUT the last part.

Rarity trying to get them fired? No. Nononono.

183221

I understand what you mean, but I attempted to play it in such a way that it didn't involve any of the mane six taking direct action against the two (Because countering bullying with bullying leads to a broken aesop), but rather Opal doing what cats generally do because of a mistake. I look at it as more like laser-guided karma, or having some nasty mares get knocked down a well-deserved peg. It wouldn't be in Rarity's nature to actively destroy the film herself, but there's not too much she can do at this point about it.

wow...all i can say is wow, its a little strong for children, but it relates well to older audiences... good work. Although my praise can only be taken with a grain of salt as I have not written anything at all.

183244
Yes, I did misread that part. Still, not sure how to feel about that.
After all, they got banned from Celestia's school after picking on Twilight.Now after meeting Twilight again they're going to be fired from that job as well. They had something coming, all right- but that?
I wouldn't be suprised if they come to the conclusion Twilight's responsible for that as well; Especially if they ever learn just where they lost their film, and how.

so
many
tears
were
shed
:fluttercry::pinkiesad2::applecry:
I love the story

183221
She didn't DO anything. They left their cameras there and Opalescence destroyed the film in their camera.
She was just observing that what goes around comes around---

Though I do have to counter-point: they may have been awful and cruel as fillies, but on the other hand they spent <I>their entire lives</i> paying for that childhood cruelty. They lost their place in the most prestigious school in Equestria, and with it every higher opportunity they might have aspired to. How long should someone keep paying for something they did as a child?

Perhaps as long as they keep refusing to change what they do.

183734
Yes, and I already admitted I misread that part.

Wow, this was a wonderful tale of Twilight getting to move on and grow. Thank you for sharing it.

Wow, you've done a very good job. I must confess I hate any sort of bullying and if I could I'll do.. Well, nasty things :trixieshiftleft:
Let's say, you really got a reaction from me :twilightsheepish:. I love how you interpreted Twilight's breakdown (though I still want to believe it doesn't happen to her for real... Not real, real but.. You know what I mean :pinkiehappy:)

That was very touching and I really like how Twilight sort it all out. Much better than basic revenge. That's kind of obvious, but I think it's worth pointing out !
I like how Celestia handled it. That was a pretty long shot though, but she's sort of cunning.. ?

Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't unnerved at the end of the story. Actually, I'm quite in peace with the world and myself right now, thank you for that :twilightsmile:

181672
Finally got around to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp5xk_9RGvI&feature=colike
Sorry it took so long, my computer crashed

208327

Thanks a lot for your attention :twilightsmile:

By the way, the part where the bullies try to get sympathy was indeed intended to backfire and make them look worse. Rarity is kind of my author-surrogate at that point when she reminds them that anything bad that happened to them in the flashback is their own fault.

I can relate to this story. I was bullied a lot at school and it was not pretty. Excellent story.

:twilightsmile::heart::twilightsmile:
What can I honestly say about this? It is AMAZING! The introspective of Twilight and the origins of her OCD hang-ups, Rarity defending her, Cherilee's talk, it's all so GREAT!
And let's not forget: “They’re gonna learn that if you buck with my friends, you’re gonna taste the Rainbow!” Awesome line. :rainbowdetermined2:
Massive applause to you!!!!

And in all honesty, I was bullied in middle school, so seeing my personal favorite character in this situation hits close to home, but in a good way. It just lets me connect with the story more. Many of us have been in this situation, and it lets us really feel for the character. It's a major point in your favor for an already great story.

i still wish they got sent to the moon
TO THE MOON:trollestia:

183734

Apologies for the late reply, but I just stumbled over this fic.

As for your question, well I'd be more sympathetic of them 'still paying for a fillyhood mistake' if when the first time they meet Twilight Sparkle they didn't immediately fall back into the same hurtful behaviors. And Twilly spent just as long 'paying' for their petty cruelty to her, to the point she is just climbing out of that pit. The fact they can't learn from that mistake proves they shouldn't be around that kind of power, for their own sake as well as their potential victim's.

And it should be pointed out getting Blanchette and Maylene out of Celestia's school arguably is saving their lives. Deliberately antagonizing a unicorn of Twilight's power to the point she looses control is quite possibly Darwin Award territory. Imagine the gruesome results of a pony more inclined to lash out at an attack.

IMHO this could be read as more than Celestia trying to get Twilight over her issues. It was also a test of character for Blanchette and Maylene. If they shown they had grown up, understood how wrong and hurtful that 'joke' was, well I'm sure Celestia might have slipped some opportunities their way. But instead they shown they hadn't grown up at all emotionally and flunked their test of character rather spectacularly.

1730067

Those Skittles ads nowadays are on such a runaway train into ten different kinds of crazy that I don't even know... :rainbowlaugh:

As someone who's been bullied and picked on in the past I can relate with Twilight in this predicament, and I'm glad to see her finally confronting her inner demons and putting them to rest.

Bullying an unicorn as powerful as Twilight is a textbook case of being too dumb to live and probably enters into Darwin award territory, after reading what happened with the tree Blanchette and Maylene should have considered themselves VERY lucky of the fact that Twilight burned the tree instead of them(in fact, if someone had ended hurt due to their bullying Celestia would have been EXTREMELY pissed off, and being expelled would have been the least of their worries).

And that little piece of laser-guided karma was simply beautiful, it was simply bad luck and a cat doing what cats do, nothing more, nothing less.

An excellent story, thumbs up and addet to favs.:twilightsmile:

2615956
Thanks :twilightsmile: Way back when I wrote this, I was initially uncertain about inserting the laser-guided karma moment, but I went ahead and added it because without it, the antagonists would get off largely scot-free in the grand scheme of things. I didn't feel like a malicious revenge scheme would be good at all (the better person/pony doesn't play tit for tat), but I like to think that one way or another, the universe has its ways of making arseholes own up eventually. Glad you liked :coolphoto:

2647880

Here comes PAINbow Dash...I love it. :pinkiecrazy: Glad you enjoyed.

Ahh bullys, I remember that too well.
I fear I was not the one that broke though, well, not in the way that thay wanted at lest. I refused to put up with it, and very nearly killed the school bully when I was in third grade. Probably not the best solution, but, I will admit it was quiet enjoyable watching him do his best to keep away from me. I learned a harsh lession back then, one that I hope few would have to learn. Sometimes one must step up and make a stand, no matter the cost.
I see also that some are sympathetic with the bullys from this story, claiming that the payback is unfair. Yet, from the begining, both of them where still being bullys. Attacking Twi both verbaly and physical. Using her as a table is, bluntly, a physical attack. If I had been Twilight, there legs would have been broken. As such, thay get no sympathy from me, only a look of pity that someone can be so petty and stupid. More thay pulled a too common stunt that many bullys use, trying to blaim the victems for the consequences of there bullying. Using that as an excuse to claim that thay where right and that the folks thay hurt deserve to be hurt.

Too bad those bullies learned the wrong lesson, but that happens a lot even in the real world.
You can either understand that what you did was wrong, and that you should stop doing it--Or you can merely learn ways to avoid or bravely bear whatever pain comes back at you when you do it. As depicted, those bullies learned the second lesson so well, they probably blamed and hated others for every misfortune they brought on themselves.

I like to call this: "Shooting yourself in the foot to get revenge on your foot for hurting so much when you last shot yourself in the foot."

Hi there. I hope you don't mind, but I liked this fic so much, I have put together an audio version on YouTube.

3542437
Wow, I'm honoured! :twilightsmile: Thanks so much!

3438784
You should write a book about that. Thats a pretty intense philosophy.

I know I'm not the only one to point this out, but dang that is some good writing. :pinkiesad2: Lots of us have been in Twi's situation, and the way you portrayed her was great. I also liked that you put in the bullies' side of the story too. Good job!

This story resonated with me, I myself was picked on quite harshly when I was young. I have been holding on to parts of that... This story helped me see what I was holding on to and even let go on some of it.
Keep up the great work!:heart:

wow, this fic hits home big time, great job! :)

i know how twilight felt. due to my disability i was hurtfully teased all through my schooling, so i can understand her feelings.

I understand Twilight myself, I was the smallest boy in my school growing up and had a horrible nervous twitch. Needless to say I was bullied and teased even some going physical. I had my gifts first I was smart, smarter then most and I could defend myself but thanks to my twitch they always forgot that. When I got to high school I saw many of them again and I was now larger then most of them (height and muscles) and they were suddenly nice to me. But needless to say they taunts and ridicule has effected me even today hurting my self esteem.

5616429
To be honest, if I was writing this story today, I don't know if I would have included that part. I like it less as the years go on. But hey, I don't know of any writer who wouldn't change a single thing about their old stories, so I suppose it's a natural feeling.

Hello. You may not know this, but a user submitted your story to this teeny tiny group nobody has heard of that I review submissions for. You got in, so congrats.

I also post my reasons (pretty general stuff, not too many specifics) here, in case you want to read why. That said, for this one in particular, I spend a lot of time yammering on about non-relevant stuff.

5671096 Thanks a lot! :twilightsmile: Your review made me consider just how fast this fandom moves: I got in here in October 2011 (so that was just after Discord's first two-parter aired), and even then I felt like I had a world of stuff to catch up on (in the best possible way). I believe both the show and fandom have advanced by leaps and bounds since 2012, which I think is fantastic - gotta keep moving, gotta keep evolving. Anyhow, thanks again!

5675154 You are, of course, welcome. If you ever want to submit other stuff yourself, of course feel free. I get the feeling that if they're anything like this they'll get in pretty easily.

5675163 I'll keep it in mind! Been a long time since I've written anything for this site, though - when I get in a mood for Pony fics, nowadays I'm most inclined to try and catch up on the tons of unread chapters in my Favorites folder, of which there are...well, a ton. I'm one of those people who will follow an epic story, go away from it for a bit, then come back to find a couple new chapters and be like, "Huh...I'd better re-read the rest of it to get refreshed, but I don't really have the time..." :rainbowderp:

5675512 Same. This is why I generally only read one shots these days... unless I'm told to review them, in which case to hell with my preferences. I don't really mind, though: I've actually been reading loads more since I signed up for the task, which is nice.

Like I mentioned, yours is the oldest story I've read since I started reading stuff upon my arrival to the site, which was when I read the most. If I had read your story back then, it would probably have been in a much different light, since I knew next to nothing about writing even though it was under a year ago.

183205 Ugh, I'm so glad that meme is not so alive anymore.

Amazing, just amazing.
10/10

Login or register to comment