• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 1,322 Views, 53 Comments

Just Who Should I Be? - ElementOfHope



What should I do? Do I live my life here in equestria without a care in the world...or do I live in fear of the only reason I have for being here?

  • ...
5
 53
 1,322

New life

Life springs back into me as I lay gasping for air on the ground. My eyes open but I don't see anything. I feel very groggy and unbalanced almost as if I had been awake for 3 days straight. A pounding is felt in my head and I can't feel my hands or feet. Instead it feels like they're asleep.

"Ugh, where...when?" Obvious questions to say the least.

My form stumbled in the darkness not even aware of what day or time it was. I practically trip over air, trying to walk. I felt so bad I couldn't even walk on my own two feet. They felt unsteady every time I tried to stand up straight and walk. I wasn't going to get anywhere like this so instead I moved forward in a crawl like manner. As long as I could find a way out I didn't really care how I walked. I should be out in no time.

"...famous last words." I manage to say as i felt through the darkness. From what i felt and heard on the ground,(grass, dirt, twigs, tree bark, etc), I was probably in a thick forest.

"Well that's just great." I said talking to myself yet again for the third time. I was stranded all alone in a forest and to make matters worse I was not feeling well and couldn't see an inch in front of me.

I never would admit that I was scared in a situation like this but the thought of me never getting out of this forest began to sink in...like a rock.

"...Oh no, what if I never get out of here? What if I never see the sun again? What if I starve to death?" Now that I think about it I can't really remember the last time I ate or had anything to drink. I lick my lips trying to remember thinking dehydration might take me when a sound startles me from deep in the woods. "I think I heard something!"

* * * * * * * *
After composing myself from what I could say was not one of my more shining moments i continued forward.

My vision and a few other senses were starting to come back to me. I could feel the ground under me with every rock and stupid mud puddle. I could even see a lot better; at least that's what I would have said if the forest wasn't darker than the back of a cave. I looked around for anything that remotely resembled an opening or a clearing. Instead I was given something else...hope. It came in the form of a light that cut through the darkness enough to show me the way. I didn't care where it was coming from. If it meant civilization then it didn't matter because it was there. That's all I needed to keep going.

The path to the source of the light was winding. There were more trees than before so I felt I had to stand up and feel the way through with my hands. It was odd at first because my hands still felt numb and the trees made odd sounds as they were touched with my hands. It sounded stronger than what my hand would normally sound like. I didn't pay too much attention though because I was too focused on the light which was right in front of me.

The light was streaming out of a window from what seemed to be a sort-of house, if you want to call it that. The light seemed very welcoming to me, almost like it is a guide for weary travelers. The door was right next to the window. Do I go in? Would they be shocked or angry at my intrusion? All very good questions that were cast aside as soon as i was in front of the door.

The door seemed to slide open right as I tried to knock on it. A wave of light rushed over me and I was blinded, waiting for my eyes to adjust to this sudden light that slammed into them. When they did I walked in.

I tried my best to stand up on my legs which felt stronger now than before. I didn't want whoever lived here to think me odd for walking in such a strange manner. The room I was in was decorated with many strange objects such as bottles, herbs, and masks. It reminded me of a book I read a long time ago about a witch doctor.

"Whoa," I said to myself, "wonder who lives here."

My attention was now drawn to the middle of the room were a cauldron rest as the main attraction. Contrary to what I thought was in it though, it smelled more like a very delectable vegetable soup instead of a potion or brew. I'm guessing whoever lived here was probably still home because the soup was still very warm.

"Hello?" I asked hoping to hear someone call out to me.

At my question I heard what sounded like a racket coming from a room away before I finally heard a voice.

"Yes I hear you and will be there soon. it will only take me a second before I am back in the room." The voice sounded calm and soothing. I could tell it was a woman's voice and it made me feel a lot less fearful of the situation I was in. The fact that she rhymed made me smile a little too.

The tasty aroma from the soup wouldn't leave my mind. I was very hungry and it was calling my name.

"Hey there are some bowls here too," I thought to myself, "Maybe I could have a little before she..." It was in that moment while I pointed at the bowl out of reflex that I could feel the blood rushing out of my face.

"M-MY HAND!" I yelled stumbling back and falling against a wall, "IT'S GONE! What is this? How did...AH!" I looked at my other and it was gone too but it didn't stop there. My feet were also gone. Instead there were just what looked like hooves and to make matters worse I was a different color too! I was a dark blue instead of my normal color.

"This can't be real! I must be dreaming! I have to be!" I said while panic began taking over and leaving me with a cold feeling as if I was a ghost in the mountains.

"What is going on out here? I want to hear the reason loud and clear." Now as I said before I was panic a lot but in the time it took to hear that voice again made the panic skyrocket to 11 when I saw just who the voice belonged to.

"A...a...a talking..."

"Calm down and pull yourself together. You look as though you are cold from the freezing cold weather." She said.

"ZEBRA! A talking zebra!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. I had no idea what to do so I just clinged to the wall I had earlier fell on. A chilling silence filled the room before the zebra spoke again.

"Please calm down and take a seat. Please help yourself to some soup, it should be a tasty treat." She said walking towards the pot and then after picking up a ladle filled up a bowl with soup, one for her and one for me. Seeing that I still wasn't moving she motioned for me to sit down.

At first I didn't know what i should do but my earlier outburst was definately uncalled for. Sure a talking zebra is very suprising but nothing to really be afraid of. For now I'll just have some soup. First I have to somehow manuver to the bowl.

"Ah..." she said in surprise.

"What is it?" I said kind-of excited now that I was talking to a zebra.

"The way you walk...it looks odd when you stand up on you back hooves like a stalk"

"What do you mean by that? You mean I'm not supposed to walk like this?" Without a word she got up and retrieved a mirror from a shelf and with it revealed to me the most shocking reflection.

The mirror was pointed at me but it wasn't the reflection I was supposed to have. In the mirror stood what looked like a pony. He was dark blue and had dark wavy curls on his head for a mane. He even had a tail that was the same color. His eyes were sky blue. I could keep talking about this pony as "him" as much as I wanted but there was no doubt that it was me in the mirror which I checked my moving around and confirming it with faces to the mirror.

"This is....me?" I said aloud staring into the eyes of the reflection that stared back. I lifted my new hooves and then put them down again. I waved my tail in the mirror and then I ran my hoof through my dark mane. Now I understand why she thought I was weird for walking on two legs...because they aren't even legs and ponies walk on all four hooves. Seriously though, why a pony? Could I not have been something more...you know...

For some reason I wasn't too panicked though. Maybe it was the Zebra who calmed me...

"Excuse me miss zebra..."

"Zecora"

"Okay...miss Zecora, there is no easy way to say this but I'm not the pony I appear to be...at least I wasn't a pony before. Can you lend me an ear? I'm sure you might have a lot of questions for me..." She only looked at me carefully and then nodded.

Author's Note:

Hey all. Just sayin that this is my first fim fic and i hope at least one of you likes it. Please execuse the meddly of mistakes i probaly made there and here. Please review though because i crave some constructive criticism. Also i know it's another HiE but I've had this story in my mind for a while and I thought that this would be a good way to start my fim fic journy. Thanks again and please try to go a little easy on me. -Your's Truely, ElementOfHope