• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 1,305 Views, 24 Comments

The Mind of an Egghead - Harmony The Cat



Welcome to Twilight Sparkle's mind. A place of reminiscence and thinking. Theories, accusations, romance, it's all here.

  • ...
7
 24
 1,305

The Thought of Just Being Friends

I begin my walk over to Sweet Apple Acres to inform Applejack and Rainbow Dash about the test. It'd definitely be convenient if the both of them were there, especially so that I wouldn't have to go around Ponyville searching for a certain rainbow pony.

After about five more minutes of walking, I approach the entrance of the farm. I enter and follow the trail to the farmhouse. Hmm, that's weird, Applejack's currently not hard at work. Maybe she's on her break, it's afternoon after all. I look around at the scene of trees as I walk. The air is always fresher and clearer around here. I liked it, it'd be a wonderful place to read, well, if there weren't apples around to interrupt the trail of imagination and bonk you on your head. I finally reach the Apple farmhouse and knock on the door.

"Who is it?!" I hear a shabby voice call out to me.

Granny Smith I assume.

"It's me, Twilight Sparkle! Is Applejack around?!" I call back.

Hopefully she heard me, being an elderly pony and all.

"Done seen 'er in the barn, 'long with Rainbow Dash!"

"Okay! Thank you Granny Smith!"

"Yer welcome Twilight! Call the two over soon so's ya'll can have some applepie!"

"Will do!"

Mm, apple pie, how tempting. I turn around and start my way to the barn. What could the two possibly be doing? My curiosity consumes me and I quicken my pace to a trot. As I near the barn, I could hear the sound of grunting and bopping come from inside. Fighting? Or are they... I could feel my face begin to get hot as perverted images flood my mind. No, no, they couldn't be. They were attracted to me, not each other, right? Curiosity overwhelms me again, so I open a barn door into a slender cranny. I peer through to see the two athletic ponies standing by their hind legs and taking swings at each other, they also seem to have some sort of mitten attached to their hooves. Each pony seemed to easily block or dodge the other's attacks. They were hoping around in a way that kangaroos did. This was interesting. Wait, they're fighting. It takes me about ten seconds for me to finally realize what was going on. They're fighting!!! I barge inside and the two cease their aggressive behavior, also returning to a normal pony stance.

"What in Equestria are you girls doing?!" I shout in a fit.

The two look at one another and shrug.

"Well?!"

"Sugarcube, the two of us here are just boxin'," Applejack tries to explain.

"Boxing? Isn't that what Derpy Hooves does? Wait, no she's a mailpony."

My mind starts to trail off a bit. What does she do? She is a mailpony, right? I had forgotten my anger for a moment until I realize that I was off in a rabbit trail of thoughts. Back to being angry.

"What in Equestria is boxing?!" I inquire, angry once again.

"It'sa fighting sport Twi," Rainbow Dash responds.

"What?? How in E-"

I was interrupted by Applejack.

"Okay, before you say 'in Equestria' again, calm down. Lookie here Twilight, we ain't injured in the slightest. Ya probably won't understand and we don't expect ya to, especially since yer not the sports-y type. Boxin' here s'just a sport and is almost completely safe. It'd be 'lot safer if it weren't particular friend of ours."

The calm tone along with the sarcasm in her voice calmed me down. I notice Applejack giving the mischievous pegasus a sharp glare. Rainbow Dash lets out a raspy chortle. I still didn't understand, but that wasn't why I was here in the first place.

"Okay, since you girls apparently aren't fighting, and since the both of you are here conveniently, I've come to tell you both that I have made my decision."

The two ponies' faces focus on me and their eyes widen. They both seemed as if they weren't breathing and more anxious for what would happen next.

I ruin their hopes with a, "Sorta..."

They both exhale the breath they held in in disappointment.

"Not cool, Twilight," Rainbow Dash criticizes.

She looks over at Applejack and rolls her eyes, AJ agrees with a nodding motion.

"Betcha the Egghead's got a test for us."

Ow, how insulting!

"Hey! Well, actually, yes," I admit.

"Told ya."

I shake my head and roll my eyes at Rainbow Dash's comment. I should've written down a list of dislikes too, but it was a tad late for that.

"Okay, let's begin with free response."

"Uh, actually, Twilight, could we, ya know, do this later? Or possibly tomorrow? Ah'm a tad bit tired from workin' and boxin' with this 'ere Rainbow Dash."

"Uh, yeah! Me too!" Rainbow adds.

Anyone could tell that the pegasus was still full of energy and just avoiding the test I had ready. I sigh and nod at Applejack. Logically, if one were tired, they'd have a much more difficult time focusing on a test. That theory goes especially with my tests which were well thought through and demanded serious thinking. And also, I shouldn't rush something that would pretty much determine my future life of romance. What if I choose incorrectly because of a mistake I'd made? Then again, how could I choose incorrectly if the two mares in front of me were practically both perfect individuals. Perfect in my eyes, that is.

"How 'bout another round, AJ?" Rainbow Dash declares.

"Hey! I thought you were tired?!" I chide.

"I, uh, I am! I just, uh..."

Loss for words, eh? Now here's some friendly payback!

"Liar! You just don't want to take the test, do you?" I poke.

Applejack chuckles while the shamed pegasus begins to flush.

"N-no! I-I do-"

"The 'Egghead's' gotcha missy, just give it up," Applejack teases.

Rainbow Dash's head hangs down. Completely defeated. AJ and I burst into laughter. I notice the pegasus's face redden at the sound of our laughs. She looks so cute and vulnerable this way. I want to tease her more, but then again, that'd be a cruel thing to do to a friend.

"Ya'll hungry? Granny Smith's bakin' some apple pie."

I had completely forgotten about the apple pie. My, that sounds good right about now. As if on cue, my stomach growls and I could feel my face burn hot. The other two chuckle. Rainbow Dash certainly recovers quick.

"That's a yes, let's go."

I back my left flank onto the left barn door and hold it open for the other two to pass. As they were coming up, the smell of their sweat fills my nostrils, it didn't stink, it was enticing, if anything. Sweet Celestia, I'm turning into a pervert aren't I? The two thank me as they head on their way to the farmhouse. I lag after the two. Soon, besides the sweat, the scent of sugar and apples hover around me, inviting me to eat. It causes my hunger to increase. Then, I could hear the athletes in front of me speak of getting to the house first and the next thing I knew, their location became nothing more than air. It made me smile. Such children.

I wish that there wasn't a need to select anyone. I want to stay friends with everyone forever, but some tugging feeling in my chest keeps telling me to make up my mind. Maybe, I actually didn't want love and I was just curious of the sensation. Yeah! Maybe that's it! The feeling in my chest tugs again. No it's not. It's that voice again. I was lying to myself again, and I knew it. I longed for a relationship. Though, now should not be the time to be thinking of this, there is some pie waiting for me. Currently, we're all just friends, and I should treasure that until that important event happens. I arrive at the front door and enter. The door squeaks open and I could hear Rainbow Dash and Applejack gouging down on the pie. They must be really hungry. I trot into the kitchen where I could see the residents of the home and Rainbow. Granny Smith points over to the platter of apple pie.

"There'sa slice over yonder for ya," she points out.

"Thank you," I reply.

I use magic to levitate a slice of pie over to myself and take a bite. Delicious. Huh, I just realized that there were some things that I didn't do with magic. I shrug. I may be a constant magic user, but if I relied too much on it, I wouldn't be prepared for a worse-case scenario. I take a seat along with the five and we talk the rest of the afternoon away.

Life should be this fun,. Daily learning of something new, teasing and joking around with friends, and eating apple pie, or some other delicacy. Yet, my life's not always so fortunate, and obstacles obstruct our path of life, but it'd, somehow, return to a much happier experience. Currently, my obstacle was settling upon a companion. This life experience is an odd one. It's showing me how emotional confusion really affects my thoughts, actions and decisions. I don't know how this memory will serve any purpose for me, but it is indeed heavenly.

Author's Note:

Kudos to whomever recognizes the title reference. Also, We'd like for everyone who reads this fan fiction to contribute a question to the story that they'd like to have the Element of Magic ask of the two in the free response testing.