• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 18,386 Views, 205 Comments

A Dodgy Business - MLP-Silver-Quill



Applejack returns to Dodge Junction to help save Cherry Hill Ranch. Against her are trolls, a gang of kleptomaniacs, and a dainty but psychotic griffon. On her side is the most accident-prone pony in Equestria.

  • ...
4
 205
 18,386

Epilogue

Princess Celestia, co-ruler of Equestira and beloved of the sun, wanted very much to chuck her paperwork out the tower window. Even in the comfort of her study, with a warm drink at her side and resting atop her bed, she just couldn’t relax. Reports on the Griffon Empire, whispers of plots across the seas, a banquet to prepare and logistics for Twilight Sparkle’s new role.

A thousand years of life experience, and she still wondered if she’d ever get ahead of paperwork.

A gout of green fire swept in through a chute next to the fireplace. Celestia smiled as she shook her pastel mane out of its path. It had been a good while since she’d received a friendship report from her little ponies. What a wonderful distraction.

The green fire swirled and solidified into a roll of parchment that Celestia caught up in her magical field. Applejack’s hoofwriting, without a doubt. She was one of the few ponies to write the letters herself rather than dictate to Spike. Hopefully this wouldn’t be another “I was right all along” lesson.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I’ve always prided myself on being a good worker. Been at it so long that I sometimes forget that not every pony knows the same as myself. I realized that it can be easy to lose sight of what it’s like to not be familiar with something, and to become impatient when somepony isn’t catching on as quick as I think they should.

But thanks to a brave pony (who’s asked to remain nameless), I learned today that just because a pony might not be the best at a task, that’s no reason to just give up on him. A good heart and a strong will can accomplish amazing things. Things that no pony would’ expect. If you give your friends a chance and keep faith, they might just shine brighter than you could imagine.

Your loyal subject,
Applejack

Celestia smiled and set the letter down near the shelf where she kept previous reports. Little things like that reminded her of why she helped shepherd the land. To see her ponies learn and grow and leave the world a better place than when they arrived. That was her truest pleasure.
A good heart and a strong will.

She stood and stretched out her wings, vowing to go for a flight after setting the sun. She went to the open window to breath in the summer air and allow her mind a chance to wander.

On a nearby table waited several more reports. News of an explosion near Dodge Junction. The collapse of abandoned mines that had long been considered a hazard. Thousands in property damage, but no loss of life. Also news of two ruthless bandits captured along with their employer and her gang. That had been a lingering headache. Celestia had taken note of the growing debt problem in Dodge and set her staff to finding the solution, but it seemed some very accident-prone ponies had stepped in and found a way. And they’d managed to accomplish the task legally, if not with perfect cleanliness.

Celestia smiled and looked out across the land. They wouldn’t hear her, but she wanted to say it all the same.

“Well done, Applejack. Well done, Clutterstep.”

Author's Note:

I want to thank folks like Cosmic Mind, StudyingTwilight, Jonathon Smythe, and others who added this story to their favorites while it wasn't even complete. It's a wonderful compliment and I am grateful.

And you, dear reader, for taking the time for my first MLP fan fiction. I hope it was entertaining. I'd love to hear people's thoughts. What worked, what needs improvement, and your thoughts on ponies like Clutterstep.

Thanks and take care!

Comments ( 82 )

Sequel focusing on Big Mac and Ms Jubilee!!! Well I can dream can't I???:eeyup:

I deeply enjoyed this tale. It flowed very well, with just enough description and detail to build upon the story, but not too much so as to make it bulky. I especially liked this OC - it is not very often that I like OCs as much as I liked this one. (I especially like that you didnt go through any romance arcs or such - definitely didnt need it)

I do hope to see more! You have me intrigued by the past of this clumsy pony! (I get such Discord-vibes from him!)

Well that was brilliant.

2142484
Maybe an alternate storyline down the road. Though I've often wondered at Cherry Jubilee's age. She seems older than Applejack, but I can't say how much.

2143921
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I plan to have Clutterstep appear in other stories and well and continue to flesh him out. And I'm glad people can appreciate a friendship tale instead of romance. I think it's important to have Clutter interact with a wide cast and not narrow it down to romance right away.

It always warms my heart when someone's first piece of fanfiction (in another fandom or otherwise) is actually worthwhile.

This was wonderful, and I found Clutterstep to be pretty interesting. I hope to find just why he was so apprehensive about meeting Celestia.

Found you from a comic, link-hopped until I got here somehow. Still not entirely sure how, actually.
I think these are fun characters that I would like to see more of.

Great story, heart thoroughly warmed.

But I wonder... That filly that kissed Clutterstep and threw herself into studies... Was that Twilight?:twilightblush: I'm onto you Twi.

Got the link from your deviantart account and thought I'd give it a read and I was glad I did so. At first I found the overall idea of the story to be a tad overdone for a storyline but the underlying humor from Clutterstep and the way it was written just added to the overall enjoyment of the story. So cheers for the good read friend.:twilightsmile:

P.s:Is this story connected to the comic you are working on or should this be considered unconnected to it ?

2546286
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm glad I managed to add entertainment value while dancing close to the cliche.

This story is in continuity with my current comic. I'm going out of order, however, because this takes place after the events of A Princess' Tears.

Damn she knows everything
But a great read none-the-less, can't wait for Clutterstep's next adventure :)

I stalk you from denvianart to here:pinkiecrazy:

Did you know there's now a character tag for Cherry Jubilee? At least, I think that's her name. So yeah, you could tag her.

I came here because of your DA page. I'll read this when I have a bit more free time.

This story was awesome. When you finish your comic (which is also awesome by the way), you should write a sequel. Maybe have Clutter meet some of the other mane 6

Awesome!!! Say, if I ever write a MLP story, may I include Clutterstep as well? It would be cool to write that. Thanks for writing such a great story

A wonderful story, I hope we'll see another of Clutterstep's adventures! Keep inspiring yer fellow bronies and never stop dreaming!:twilightsmile:

Clutterstep is best OC.

so.....

you publish this story and completed it in the span of 2 days:rainbowhuh:


either you just wrote everything and published it when it was done, or you used the slight of hand perk
img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120120172744/callofduty/images/2/2a/Perk_sleight_of_hand_256.png

4502899
I wrote everything and published when I was done. I can't say I'm swift in any form of fan-creation be it art, video, or writing.

I really could use that perk. If only life mimicked games in a good way.

2550575 Are you going to continue Cluttersteps journy in either story or comic form?

Wow, not a single downvote yet. :pinkiegasp:

I loved your comic. I'm going to have to read this at some point.

You need to make more! How about clutter goes to manehattan and meets rarity!!!!

Love the online comic you did with clutterstep love the story can't wait for you to write the next one.

:twilightsmile::yay::eeyup::pinkiehappy:

MLP-Silver-Quill i love your story's there amazing :pinkiehappy:

I liked that "Princess's Tears" comic you did on Deviantart. Could you make that into a text story?

A brilliantly written story with a clear voice, not to mention Clutterstep's priceless one-liners. :rainbowlaugh:
It was a pleasure reading both the comic and this story, hope to see more in the future, if you choose to. :raritywink:
-MikaPurple

Wonderful.
Clutterstep is best pony!!!

I can't wait to see more from you! This Fanfic was awesome and I need more clutterstep!

Amazing work Silver Quill I loved it so much I also loved your comic introducing Clutterstep A Princesses Tears and your other comic Foals Rush In. I can't wait for Clutterstep's next adventure keep up the amazing work Silver Quill!

I've said this once before, but the best analysts are the ones who are also writers themselves, because they can actually create.

Great story SilverQuil, it was a great adventure watching what unfolded at Dodge Junction. I enjoied watching Applejack and Big Macontosh dealing with an enemy that wasn't a big target, that used the law to cause mayhem without getting dirty. I nearly screamed racist with the Varmin, just because they were in my opinion stereotyped. Its good to see that all races have shady characters and even two shady boys can find some redemption and learn to not eat out of the dumpster.

Out of all the Varmin, Rawerly was by far my favorite character, after seeing him and Clutterstep on the train to Baltimare, I hope he returns in your next work. I think the reason why I like him is because...he changed near the end of the story, well sorta. I mean he did tip off Lucky Roll about the trolls kidnapping the Apple Siblings. He's to old to change over a new leaf in my opinion, but maybe he'll make some real friends down the road.

A lovely read

Seriously? Not once did Clutterstep hear AJ mutter the words 'Twilight Sparkle'? I am sorry to say, but I am disappoint dear SilverQuill

That was awesome. I'd like to thank you for writing it.
In particular, I very much enjoyed the villains of the saga. I've always had a fondness for the bad guys, you see, and yours were quite characterful. Coming from a fandom that enjoys the like of Discord and Chrysalis, that takes some real effort.
Preda was fun, although I get the feeling that she never got enough page time to really shine. There was plenty alluded to in terms of her savagery in the way that everypony and everything was terrified of her, but the way that the varmin were scared of her too, despite the fact that her weapon of choice - the law, a wonderful favored tool for the villainess with a taste for irony - was mostly ineffective against them seemed strange and unexplained. Still, I've always had a soft spot for the kind of crook who has the muscle to do things the hard way but sets up a proper financial cartel instead.
The trolls were excellent, and I loved when they finally spoke and turned out to be mild-mannered British gentlemen.
But Rawley. Oh, Rawley. Never have I been so enamored with a skulking thug. A true hero of the working-class villains, complete with his own named business code of skullduggery and the sense to be more interested in his retirement than his loyalty to the Big Bad. A goon leader, bringing up and training his own gang of lesser goons so that someday they become important enough for me to remember which of them is which. You're a prince, Rawley. A scumbag prince. Shine on, you crazy anthropomorphic rodent.

Nice work!

This story was absolutely fantastic.:twilightsmile:

very good :heart:

Clutterstep is probably the most original oc I've seen so far (right up there with Griffin) and is a true delight to read and visualize, not to mention the storytelling prowess. I am aware that this fic is over a year and a half old, but that does not mean it doesn't deserve praise. I really hope there's a sequel.

4864023 I already did, that's how I found this.

4690577 I agree. As soon as Clutterstep was introduced, I was actually expecting AJ to at least mention her. Like at supper, Clutterstep would take of a sip of his drink, and AJ would, telling one of her stories, "And then Twilight", and Clutterstep would spit-take a remarkably large amount into Big Mac's face.:rainbowlaugh:
Unfortunately, that didn't happen.:facehoof:

Wow, just saw my comment from nearly a year ago! Should've read this sooner!

As for a sequel, maybe something with Twi and Clutter?

Hey MLP-Silver-Quill, who do you picture as Clutterstep's voice?

Sequel Idea: Clutterstep decides to use his clumsiness to his advantage and becomes a "Minion for Hire". He gets hired by bad ponies like the Flim-Flam brothers and Dr. Caballeron and his clumsiness ends up foiling their plans. Exactly as planned...

Excellent story. Read it in one sitting. Hopefully you'll come up with more Clutterstep stories in the not too distant future. Whatever you do though, don't have him set sail on the "Mare Celeste."
Come to think of it, maybe you should. It would fit his nature perfectly. At any rate, keep up the good work with both the writing and your reviews. They are by far the most entertaining commentary out there.

Grand work. :D Keep it up. Your writing style is wonderfully flowing and full of detail. Only suggestion I have is check for typos. Other than that your writing is absolutely wonderful. :pinkiehappy: :rainbowlaugh: :twilightsmile:

I'm not a pridefull man so I'll just debase myself right here and plead: PLease more! I want more Clutterstep!

I just finished the comic. I'll have to read this tomorrow.

Peeeeeeez give us another Clutterstep story? :heart: :raritystarry:

Login or register to comment