• Published 26th Apr 2013
  • 24,935 Views, 2,416 Comments

A Twilight Landing - MerlosTheMad



A strange girl has shown up in another strange girl's garage. Together, can they figure out just what is going on? Will they be able to get the strange girl claiming to be Twilight Sparkle home?

  • ...
37
 2,416
 24,935

Chapter 3 : Getting Better Acquainted

Twilight remained frozen, running her hands over the smooth, flawless paper for what seemed to her like forever. "This is the most amazing paper, I have ever, ever seen... ever." Her mouth had hung open for the entirety of the thorough inspection she was giving the solid covered novel. "Maybe this accident will be worth it in the end..." She continued to caress the craftsponyship of the human dictionary... until somehow one of the edges sliced her hand of all things.

Twilight yelped softly—but enough to cause her remaining furry companion to leave in a flash. Note to self, Twilight; human books are dangerous... Her other hand rubbed the wound tenderly while she scowled at the offending page. What the hay, who sharpens paper? Despite the sardonic thought, she realized it was just that the paper of the dictionary was very fine; enough so to slice her skin with ease. Even the best Equestrian scripture would be hard pressed to pull that off, certainly never so easily. The quality impressed her so much that she quickly softened her features, then set about inspecting the book's literary assets, rather than its composition.

Twilight had surprised herself when she briefly considered hurling it away, instead of reading it.

Honestly, throwing a book; what were you about to do, Twilight? She smirked and began to skim read through the pages. Before she knew it, half an hour had soon passed by, her brain still chugging along reliably.

Time passed slowly as the human's sun rose higher in the sky. At the moment, Twilight was focused over one particular, peculiar word: Atomic. The definition listed several different meanings and uses for the word. One of them...

Twilight shook her head and continued, not one to be discouraged by new subject matter. Still, it only took a few more pages of mostly familiar words—alongside more than a couple confusing and worrying ones—before Twilight sliced her other hand, as well.

"AH!" This time, she stuck the miniature limb in her mouth reflexively. "Uggh, m'okay, 'at's it!" she mumbled.

The thick book clunked onto the table while Twilight tumbled off the couch with as much grace as she could manage. I'm waking up Jo. I can't stand all this waiting in this body. I can't even distract myself with a book like this!

Twilight got as far as the doorway to the room with all of the fallen books before she stopped. Something occurred to her.

"I bet I'm the one that caused this mess." Twilight's voice was quiet and taciturn. She looked back at the shattered opening behind her, too, now filled with morning light. The sight essentially confirmed the thought. And I'm about to be a bad guest like I just said I wouldn't. Taking a deep breath, she brought her hand up to her barrel and slowly exhaled, calming herself in the process.

I wonder if anypony's looking for me yet. Twilight was again wandering the strange house, distracted by worried thoughts of her own home and friends. She welcomed the funny thought of Pinkie Pie actually finding her here, which easily filled her with renewed calm.

My friends are going to worry so much, Twilight continued to mull over the situation, in regards to both here in the human's world, and back home. Spike won't know what to do... Rainbow Dash will be looking everywhere across Equestria, I'm sure. In the end, the odd words from the dictionary and her regrowing sense of restlessness pushed her to helplessly wander in the dim morning light of the building. And Pinkie Pie must be beside herself with worry right now!

On instinct, Twilight tried to pace in what looked like Jo's dining area—judging by the gaudy chandelier. However, she quickly learned that pacing at a trot in the manner she was used to was impossibly uncomfortable in her current state. A few moments of annoyed defeat later and she decided to go native, so to speak. A stern look appeared in her eyes.

Twilight's hand gripped the side of the table.

Easy does it, Twilight. Now that the human legs she found herself saddled with were in position, her next step was to try and stand upright as Jo had been doing. Here we go. Though rising up on them was unsteady, she actually made it with little trouble.

Mostly, it just felt weird to be standing in such a drastically shifted position.

"I did it! Wow, Spike makes this look way too easy." Twilight smiled shakily and gulped, then proceeded to make a few, staggering attempts at emulating her assistant's way of walking. Well, this isn't sooo— Oh no! She had managed to walk... but only for about as long as she had held onto something.

Almost right after letting go, Twilight's hands slapped back onto the table. The last second act just barely saved her from falling to the floor, her balance shot after being struck by some powerful vertigo.

This instantly led to a hypothesis for Twilight. Either my brain and its habits are holding onto my previous sense of balance, or not having a tail is messing with me. By Luna's stars, how does Jo do it? She resettled onto the floor with a thud, uncomfortable with how her first attempt at standing like a human had felt. Perhaps I simply can't rewrite my instincts so easily? The other theory she had formed simply took into account that she could have been hurt somehow in her crash landing, besides just her bruises.

So, unable to pace, unwilling to wake the human upstairs, and too restless to focus on reading—not to mention wary of harmful paper injuries—Twilight began to poke at the oddities in the house. Irritatingly, most were out of reach. Still, she was deathly curious about the home's contents, and that especially included the owner. The latter of those two would still have to wait though, it seemed.

"Honestly, how long is she going to sleep?" Twilight scrunched her face and reached up awkwardly to flick what was obviously a light switch. Yet another room full of fallen books lit up in the slightly tinted glow of the light. Her face turned back into the mournful look it always bore when seeing such a sight.

Without thinking, Twilight tried to lift up the books with her magic to inspect, then shelve them. She plonked sadly down when she realized nothing was happening... again.

"No use dwelling on the situation, Twilight," she said fiercely, and picked up one small but thick novel with a hand in lieu of her magic. At least I found something to preoccupy me... even if it is just cleaning up my own mess. In a not-exactly expedient manner, she began to re-shelve the books.

Twilight huffed as she pushed the randomly stacked pile of mismatched books against the wall alongside their brethren. She found that she was slightly winded from moving them, not to mention that the books themselves were heavy in large numbers. The only theory she had formed concerning this was that her new body might be weaker than her old. That sort of made sense considering it was new.

Humans might also be really weak, she considered. Or maybe gravity on human-world is higher? Whatever the reason, she knew it would take time and resources to figure that out, along with everything else. A million questions, no answers, and my only clue is sound asleep...

Twilight could have screamed in frustration, but she was more controlled than that... At least, that's what she furiously told herself.

At least for now, the pictures on the book covers were a good distraction. Interestingly, they were unlike anything she had ever seen before. Even just the material that they were made of remained unbearably fascinating. She had successfully re-shelved several other volumes as best she could, but it had taken forever just to fill one of the several bookcases—mostly due in part to the distracting covers.

"Alrighty then, I think that's enough for now." With a little bit of help from leaning on a bookshelf, Twilight slowly lowered herself back to the ground for the thirtieth or so time.

Discouraged from shelving anymore without magic, she left the somewhat cleaned room, only partly done with trying to categorize and replace all of the poor books in their old homes. Still, a good portion of the mess of books had at least been dealt with.

Under one arm, Twilight carried one of the books to catch her eye along with herself, anxious to perhaps ask Jo why there were so many metal vehicles—possibly airships—depicted floating on a blanket of stars. The description had certainly given no clue, other than it was apparently fiction. That gave her mind some calm of mind. Imagine, traveling amongst the stars in the sky in a... whatever these things are. She gave the cover a cursory glance again. That just doesn't seem logical! But fascinating nonetheless.

Twilight smirked the very thought of the silly concept, only to quickly be replaced by a frown as one of the several clocks that seemed to be scattered throughout the house sounded loudly. The clock was followed swiftly by two others from somewhere else in the house.

Peculiar, she thought, humming. Back in Equestria, having this many clocks would be considered a luxury of luxuries in any home or building other than a clock maker's shop. All the same, it makes things easier for me at least. She frowned up at the blessedly normal grandfather clock, with its big swinging pendulum and beautiful, chased bronze gilding. The craftsponyship of the piece was lost on her though, her eye beginning to twitch. When is Jo going to wake up!?

It was one in the afternoon now.

The day shone in above Jo’s head like an alarm clock made of light, aggravating her still shut eyes with a steadily increasing glare of concentrated sun. The actual clock hanging from the wall read well past noon. Newly awoken as she now was, she could already tell she had a headache. To make matters worse, sitting up just a little too quickly set off the pounding of drums in her ears.

“Uggh, what the heck.” Jo’s eyes—their brown looking slightly hazed over—fought for a clear view of the surroundings as she stood up off her bedroom’s couch. Wobblingly, she crossed the room to the doorway where she then waited patiently for her slight dizziness to subside, if only just enough to make standing still possible.

I haven’t felt this awful in a while. Uggh, I'll bet its from staying up too late... and the rum... and the headache, uggh. While one hand scratched her stomach distractedly, Jo’s brain did its best reporting her current condition to herself. Yawning in an effort to be fully awake, she made her way across the hall.

The events from the night before began to replay before Jo. The strange, multicolored ribbon of light that had hung in the starry sky forced her to immediately recall that she harbored a crazy, likely drug addicted fan of an old cartoon show. Still, bothersome or not, that was mildly interesting.

Life can never have too much interesting, Jo thought, a tight smile on her lips as she turned on the upstair's shower.

The headache she had immediately got better thanks to the hot water and building cloud of steam around her.

Now I just need to worry about Alice busting in and causing a scene, and whether or not to let the men in white coats have my guest. She snorted a short laugh at the thought of either event, for only slightly differing reasons. A few minutes later and after a thorough, heavenly wash, she cut off the water.

Toweled off, Jo changed into some likely clean jeans and a t-shirt. She walked across the hall, then headed down the stairwell to her oh-so-certainly to be interesting day.

"Hellooo. Are you awake?" she called out ahead of herself. "I hope you're feeling a twinge more sane today..." She of course whispered the latter sentiment.

Arriving at the guest room, Jo found the door was still open as she had left it. Peeking inside, however, revealed that the guest herself was, well, not in the guest room, as Jo had left her.

Jo squinted slowly in consternation as she peered delicately around the room. ...Maybe she’s making breakfast. Swiftly, she dashed out of the room and began to look around the house for her missing guest.

"Oh Purple Head? Hello?" She called out her name—and she decided Purple Head did count—but came up empty while attempting to locate the stranger. After nearly twenty minutes passed, her worry increasing the whole time, she turned up nada, zip, and zilcho. Even after searching the whole house from top to bottom, the stranger was nowhere to be found.

An irritated grumble escaped Jo as she sat down at her typically unused dining table in defeat. Maybe she was just a hallucination? Or maybe that light show was some top-secret government mind cooking weapon... She snorted at the incredulity of the thought, while one of her hands began to methodically sooth the side of her head.

It was easier for Jo to imagine Purple Head had nabbed something and gone home, or had just come to her own senses after coming down from that high. She sighed and leaned on her hands, glancing around herself randomly. It looks like everything is still here... I’ll have to look around more carefully later, but first I need something to eat.

Right after the thought, Jo heard the faint tinkling noise of glass. It had come from the direction of the family room's broken door.

I need to clean up that noisy glass too... Jo sighed, then sat up straight away. Oh shoot, maybe that was her. Augh, hangovers are like brain cancer for me. They hurt my ideas.

Groaning a bit, she stood up from the dining table and followed the noise. Sure enough, after poking her head into the back room she saw Purple Head kneeling by the doorway. There were more blankets thrown down near the glass, which Jo assumed was to help her get over it without shoes. Her hands, knees and feet were grass stained, as well, meaning she’d been outside.

“Good morning...” Jo greeted her in a croaking voice and frowned as she entered the room, looking at the sight before her. She smoothed her features at seeing what Purple Head was doing though.

The girl looked up at her newly awakened host from carefully gathering broken glass with a dustpan.

"Oh! You surprised me. Good morning... Jo?” Purple Head said the name with a noticeable pause, then continued. “It’s actually afternoon, however. I believe it’s somewhere around half past two?”

Her smile was broad and genuine enough that it made Jo's head hurt once again just looking at it.

Purple Head continued, looking far too cheerful. “That is, assuming this device tells time... and that your day cycle is similar to the one Princess Celestia and Princess Luna maintain...” The girl looked over at the clock on the wall as she spoke.

Jo could have been wrong, but she thought she felt her own eye twitch momentarily.

That overbearing smile that Purple wore exchanged for a thoughtful frown as she began scrutinizing the digital clock on the wall, then perked up again and continued speaking hurriedly. "Anywho, sorry I didn’t get you up, I wasn’t sure how long humans needed to sleep, or if maybe you were nocturnal...”

Jo’s stare grew more wide eyed as the strange girl went on. "Ah huh," she simply answered.

Twilight still wasn't done talking. “Also, I wasn't very tired so... well, it was morning when I arrived here from Equestria, I think, is all. I didn't sleep much last night... or at all. Not that I usually go to bed at a normal hour most nights anyway, but—" The smile she gave weakened overtime, until finally she was interrupted by her own yawn.

Jo rolled her eyes briefly, writing off the crazy person’s ramblings as just that, and approached her bizarre guest. “Right, here let me help you with that, Purple Head.” Better say something now, she'll probably start up again any second, was all she could think after that, so a change of subject she decided, was in order.

“It’s no trouble! I just wanted to help out for... Did you just call me Purple Head?” Twilight had begun to protest giving up the dustpan, but instead raised a confused eyebrow at Jo.

“Did I say that out loud?” Jo smirked, as she gently took the dustpan from the kneeling girl’s noticeably pale hands, then deposited the mass of ruined glass in the nearby garbage.

The stranger continued to stare back at Jo until an awkward silence set in.

“Alright, I’m sorry, that was rude,” Jo raised her hands defensively. “I shouldn’t just give you a weird nickname, but you can’t really expect me to call you Twilight Sparkle, do you?”

“Well... just Twilight would be fine, it is my name after all.” Twilight gave a nervous chuckle and rubbed one arm, then frowned at her hand before looking reproachfully up at Jo, who had her own arms crossed and looked dourly down at the floor bound Twilight. "Also, not to force you to or anything, but you said that you would believe me if I simply reaffirmed today that I am in fact, Twilight Sparkle."

Jo was wide awake now, and as such, she took a renewed effort at making sense of the situation. This chick must be having some kind of abusive trouble from home... I wonder if I really should just take her to the cops? She knew what would happen then, and that it wouldn’t be pleasant, especially if they couldn’t find out who she was or if she kept up this act. A heaved sigh escaped her in the wake of that pleasantry. I’ll give her some time, since she seems perfectly safe to be around. For now, anyway.

Jo didn't take much stock in making good on whatever promise she had made last night in her tired state, though, so she moved on.

“Alright, Twilight it is then. I gotta say I would’ve picked a more likeable character myself, but whatever.” Jo put her hands on her hips and leaned towards Twilight with a cocky smile. “So, Twilight... wanna go get breakfast? I wasn’t expecting company so I’m fresh out of... well, everything. So unless a shot of Jack in the morning is your sorta thing, we should go get some donuts.” Not to mention coffee... Her head pulsed in agreement on her shoulders.

Twilight stared up at Jo blankly until she finished, then nodded dumbly. “Uhm, I guess so? Though I’m not sure what ‘Jack’ is, exactly. I have a friend named Applejack, but I suppose that would just be a coincidence. I must say, despite the unfortunate circumstances of my being here, I do feel that I'd very much enjoy looking into other cultural similarities that our two worlds seem to—"

Jo could actually feel her eyes begin to glaze over slightly while Purple Head rambled on.

"—But perhaps that's all suited to a better time." With that, Purple chuckled a little. "Anyway, sure, we should get food before we talked about... things. Which reminds me, there are so many questions, important ones mind you, that I have to ask you, Miss Jo. I think—”

“Just call me Jo, please.” Jo could've sworn she had told her that already. The girl was polite to the point of being annoying. Getting frustrated with the talkative stranger on top of the headache lead to another sigh filling the room, while Jo resisted the urge to facepalm.

The uneasy gaze Twilight assumed on her face stuck to the ground while she continued. “Oh, I see, sorry. Well, like I was saying, I have innumerable questions about your world that do I need answered right away if I'm to have any hope of returning to Equestri—”

In impatience, Jo’s hands balled up a moment before she flared them out and put on an overly joyful face. “Hey, uhm, let’s go get that food and coffee first! Okay? Let’s leave the heavy talk for afterwards.” I swear to G-man, if I have to listen to this all day I’m gonna lose it... Why even My Little Pony? That fandom's been dead for years...

Twilight looked up from the tile floor and tilted her head. “Heavy? What’s heavy? Is there something wrong with the gravity here? I had my suspicions of that last night after I—”

That time, Jo did facepalm. Alright, she’s totally messing with me. I gotta give it to her self-control, though. If I had hit someone with that reference, I’d be rolling on the floor right now. Her eyes peeked between her fingers to warily look at the confused looking purple haired girl.

"Uhm, are you alright, Mi— er, Jo?"

Jo managed to keep her expression flat. I’ll play along a little longer, let her talk about this on her terms. Either way, I just want some coffee right now, darnit. She turned and left the room, picking up her car keys by the back door as she went. "Come on."

“Jo?" Twilight called after Jo and followed her out of the room hesitantly. "Where are you going? Are we leaving now?” The hostess seemed to be putting on some of the strange looking boots that had been lying around.

Jo looked back at Twilight, but her thoughts blanked out the questions and her voice. Ah, hell, she’s going to need shoes too... Well, maybe not, we’ll go through the drive through. She turned over ideas and the best means of handling things hurriedly, the drama of it all adding to her irritation. One option was just leaving her here by herself again. After all, she had trusted the girl in the house all night... Maybe taking her to where there are other people will snap her out of it, though.

"Jo?" The stranger was next to her now, which she hadn't even noticed in her caffeine deprived state.

"Guh, what is it?" Jo stood up, her boots fastened and ready to take her outside.

"Uhm, I asked if we were going now?" Twilight tilted her head as she spoke and sat on her butt, hands resting on her knees.

So weird, Jo's thoughts repeated. "Oh, right, yeah we are, sorry about that. I'll spot you money, by the way, so don't worry about having to pay this time... I kinda figured you don't have any considering how you showed up here."

Twilight blinked, then beamed a smile up in return. "Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. Thank you so much! I hope that donuts aren't expensive in your world, but I'll pay you back as soon as I can either way. I'm not sure how I will, but—"

Jo looked back at the rambling Twilight following her to the front door, simply glad that the girl was actually following her amidst her chatter. The talking honestly didn't bother her, but the strange way that she got around was starting to. “Hey look, I know in the land of the ponies you guys walk on all fours, but here in Humanville we’re all about two legs. Think you could try standing up?” She turned and interrupted Twilight, who had begun going on about what kinds of jobs she could do if she got stuck here.

Twilight frowned down at herself, then gave Jo a disparaging look. “Do I have to do that now? Surely there are far more pressing matters than just fitting in...”

“Fitting in—?" Jo gritted her teeth and took in a breath. "It's not about fitting in. What about your knees? Aren’t those starting to hurt just a little?” She frowned down at the girl’s legs, which were very clearly bruised, even with the gym shorts obscuring them slightly.

Twilight winced when she looked at the bruises. "They do hurt a lot, actually... Alright, I did practice a little, so I'll try to manage it again." She muttered the reply, then without waiting for an answer leaned back onto her feet to give it a go. Her hands walked up the wall as she stood up, half pulling herself, then leaned over as she came to stand fully.

“Well, this certainly does feel very natural in this human body...” Twilight kept her eyes glued to the ground, and her hands on the wall.

“Yeah, I imagine it would,” Jo answered sarcastically. “Alright, now let’s go get that sugar.” She whirled in place and trounced towards the door.

“Ah, Jo?” Twilight called after her acquaintance.

Jo breathed in the fresh air. "Hm? What's up?" she called back. With the front door to the outside world was open, see could see her uncle's old car sitting placidly in the driveway outside of the garage.

"It's... uh, just that..." Twilight's voice was nervous sounding.

“What is it?” Jo turned around.

“I’m gonna need... a little help?” Twilight took a couple shaky steps forward, but it seemed she didn’t dare to leave the stability giving wall in order to cross over to the doorway.

Jo began to squint back at the wobbling girl claiming to be Twilight. This is going to be a long day.

It had been a very, very embarrassing hassle to get Twilight to the car—made more so when she started asking questions about the car itself—but it would take more than lending someone a shoulder to lean on and falling over three times to keep Jo from coffee.

"Oh, interesting. Jo?" Twilight reached a hand over to point at the buttons in the center of the carriage's dash. "What are these for?" She flinched back and frowned when Jo's hand made to slap her own.

"What? Also, no touching my music." Jo reached across Twilight's lap, and proceeded to pull out a pair of shades from the glove box and put them on.

Twilight's nose wrinkled from the nonchalant physical upbraiding. Music? What music? This thing plays music? I wonder what it plays. "Jo, it's just that... Well, never mind the buttons, but you haven't answered a single question I've asked about your machine... or magic, or anything! You just say 'mmhmm' and say nothing. I've practically been talking to myse—" Her mouth snapped shut when an accusing finger came up beneath her chin.

Jo inhaled, ready to shout, then let it out and calmed down.

No good way to respond to Twilight's questions presented itself to her. Except, Jo guessed, actually trying to answer them and ignore that she was talking to a crazy person. And there's no way I'm playing into her antics while sober. Initially, she had thought that would just encourage more questions. At this point, though, it was becoming clear that ignoring Twilight wasn't the answer, either.

"Uggh, look, Twilight, I just want my coffee..." Jo began, giving up. "I have a headache okay? I get it, you're lost and stuff, but let me get my coffee first, please?" I'm starting to be convinced this is a massive prank. Weird coincidental atmospheric light shows or not. She did her best to conceal her feelings, despite her shortening temper.

"I see." Twilight frowned, then looked away and put on an ashamed face. "Alright, I'm sorry, Jo. I shouldn't have been so pushy. I'm just... yeah. Okay, I'll stop. Sorry again." She wore a sad look, before smiling weakly back at Jo, while Jo herself blinked a couple times under her shades disbelievingly.

I can't believe it was that easy. Jo faced forwards and made an impressed expression for her own efforts, then started her dead uncle's car. The key turned in the ignition. "So, what kinds of things do you like, Purpl—"

An ear piercing squeal of fear went off inside the car, followed by rampant giggling.

Jo stared straight ahead, aghast, and her heart beating a hundred miles an hour in her chest. Slowly, so as to keep from having a second heart attack, she looked over at her passenger.

Twilight was busy bouncing in her seat while looking from Jo, to all around the car that had just lit up and roared to life. "That-was-amazing! What-was-that? Whatmakesitwork!? In the name of Celestia I've-never-even-dreamed-of... of a machine so sophisticated, so beautiful!"

All the while, Jo calmly tried to get her attention, calling her name... until finally she snapped again.

"TWILIGHT!" Except for the motor, silence reigned in the DeLorean. Twilight once again wore an apologetic expression, but still visibly brimmed with excitement. "I get it, it's an awesome car." I should've seen this coming, that joke earlier was all the warning I needed...

Twilight wilted as a result of Jo's tone and tried to calm down, fully aware she was getting on her nerves somehow. She had never met anyone quite like Jo before, certainly no one that had reacted quite so negatively to her enthusiasm. "I was just complimenting your machine, Jo. Er, your dar, I mean. But you don't have to act so snappish with me."

Jo rolled her eyes under her shades and muttered a reply while Twilight spoke. "For Pete's sake, get the damned stick out of your butt already and just quiet down, Purple Head. My own head is—"

A gasp drew Jo away from concentrating on backing up the car. Guess she heard me, Jo thought dryly. She raised an eyebrow over at her passenger, aiming to play off whatever the girl would say. What she saw instead surprised her a little.

Twilight—huddled against the passenger-side door—just held an expression of sheer shock and terror, but didn't speak.

Jo spoke up instead. "...What was that for? Are you alright?" She looked back at the road, focusing on passing a car that was going too slow.

"I-... You— and I-I...What made you say something so— so—" Twilight seemed to be struggling to think of words, but Jo caught on and deadpanned at her steering wheel.

"Vulgar? Come on, it's just an expression, so calm your tits." Jo mumbled the rebuttal back at Purple Head, but it had the opposite intended effect.

Twilight, still huddled, started blushing furiously as she replaced her look of shock with an angry one.

"That's a normal human expression? That's... that's horrible! It's awful! It's rude! Even somepony like Discord wouldn't say something like that outside of polite context. I mean—" Twilight's voice strained until Jo cut her off in return.

"Twilight, come on, get a grip. It was nothing personal, okay?" Jo took off her sunglasses and stuck Twilight with a hard stare, who immediately returned it, leaning forward as well for good measure. Her headache wasn't appreciating the continuous chatter she had been trying to end for several minutes now.

I should've stayed at the house and just ate a bottle of aspirin, Jo lamented, facing forward again.

All the while, the car rolled down the country road at a good fifty five miles an hour.

Twilight faced forward again with a huff, only to have her breath catch in her throat. She had been so caught up in what had quickly escalated into an argument, that she hadn't even noticed what was going on around her.

"Wow, this is so fast." Twilight gripped some of the borrowed clothing she had on, and braced one of her strange hands on the vehicles interior counter-top thing.

Jo grumbled another reply. "Ain't that fast. I'm going the speed limit."

Twilight turned, frowning again. "Oh, only the speed limit? Great." She huffed a tense breath out, then forced herself to calm down.

"Jo," she started to say, somewhat calmer now. "I know I'm a guest and have no right to make demands, but you should apologize. Behavior like that isn't acceptable. At least... not where I'm from, it isn't."

Twilight listened to a nagging thought attacking the back of her mind, Maybe it is around here? Her stare didn't waver though, rather, she rescinded the thought's validity entirely. There is no way the mention of a pony's... or human's privacy could ever be acceptable. She assured the notion to herself. I mean, that would be as absolutely nuts as violence being acceptable.

Jo glanced over from the road for a moment and raised an eyebrow at Twilight. "You're kidding, right?" The words were full of disbelief at the goody-goody explanation that Purple had given. Meanwhile, the DeLorean rumbled to a halt at the first stoplight.

"I'm not kidding! Your culture cannot seriously be this—"

"Alright, alright!" Jo sighed and put on a truly tired look. "I'm really sorry for saying something impolite, and I mean it. Now can we drop it and just sit in silence?"

Beside Jo, Twilight smiled immediately and put on a satisfied look, sitting back calmly in her chair. "Well you don't sound that apologetic, but that's okay." She looked around herself for a moment, confused as to where they now were. Their surroundings were entirely different. When did we move so far?

Jo grunted, feeling like a jerk for taking her aggression out on Twilight, and getting even angrier on the inside for feeling guilty at all. All the while, she tried to wait patiently for the green light to come. This stop is always impossibly long when you hit it. Augh. Rage... building...

Twilight rubbed Jo's arm and drew the other being's attention from the intersection. "You don't need to feel bad Jo. I know I've been nothing but trouble so far, but..."

Jo looked over questioningly, expecting the girl to say something else that would irk her. Instead, surprised struck when she thought she could actually feel her grumpy resolve melt a little under Twilight's kindly expression.

The moment lasted until Twilight again burst into chattering with fervor.

"But! That isn't to say you couldn't learn a couple things from my making 'Friends For Beginners' book. I began reading it a few seasons ago and it has all sorts of insightful information! Oh, wait, sorry, you did say you wanted quiet, didn't you? Haha... now I owe you an apology!" Twilight laughed cheerily and continued without taking a breath. "See how apologies work, Jo? Jo, helloooo? Oh, by the way I wasn't familiar with the word you said, earlier. What does 'damned', mean?"

The irritation Jo had felt returned, and with a growl she slammed on the accelerator, eliciting an immediate shriek from Twilight. The radio was cranked up to its fullest volume as she did so. No quiet? Fine. But on my terms.

Author's Note:

Everyone try and say wobblingly three times fast. It's fun. :pinkiehappy:

Anywho... Great Scott. :rainbowderp:

Bigger chapter this time, I'm hoping I had everyone's interest before and now I have your attention with this chapter. The next one will be dealing with all that 'heavy' material and might be a bit wordy as a result. (I like writing super smart Twilight after all). Lemme know what you think guys!