• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 1,519 Views, 13 Comments

Darkness Evolved - Trivium



After long years of war, Sombra finally is destroyed, but it is un-known what was able to defeat his power. It is very worrysome that this strange victor over Sombra wasn't fighting for the good, but so it could have the ponies as its own prey.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,519

Prologue: how it Started

Chapter .1: Prologue: how it Started.

(Please excuse any typos/punctuation/grammar/spelling errors, I am hooked up on a very slow, old Windows XP laptop, and I am not used to it yet, and I have Star Trek playing in the backround, so I might wind up distracted.)


After a long silence, Sombra returned, more powerful then ever, with an army beyond belief. He attacked by surprise, but he was soon fought back, forcing retreat, backing his army out of the ponies land. Very few of his soldiers had any expirience, and they stood very little chance in battle, they lacked courage, moral, skill, and trustworthy instincts. They stormed many cities, but were forced out by the princess' soldiers, by the end of the night. Outraged, Sombra decided that their best move was to attempt a siege, surrounding the ponies' land, limiting their outer movements. Some ponies couldn't stand being trapped, and tried to escape, only to result with a less-then-fortunate ending, weather they managed to escape to home or not. After long amounts of time, it was decided that the ponies had to fight back, they were running low on supplies for every-day living. This resulted in a war, known as the "Battle of Manehatten", even though it was very little involved with the city. It wasn't known why it developed that name, but it stuck to the streets, and soon the name stuck officially. This move, to attack and gain freedom, was a very well-planned and preformed move, and it resulted in the even farther retreat of Sombra's army, forcing them out of any nearby land. Sombra and his troops fell back, with no plans on another attack any time soon. Never did another come. One day, there was a pony, armed in the armor that was commonly worn among Sombra's army, running fast and far, un-wittingly into the princess' land. A few guards were deployed to investigate. He was later brought into their land, and soon was imprisoned for further questioning. The news he brought with as he ran, was that of rather good news. Sombra's army, was no more, along with Sombra himself.

The pony sat, tied to a chair, in a small room. He breathed heavily, as if he was running again. "They were everywhere." he said. "They were almost invisible in the dark, moving at seemingly impossible speeds among the shadows. I was on patrol that night, and for that I was fortunate. They first struck from the inside, killing those that fought with us, from their own land! I saw a dark flash, and I heard a scream, but short though. I knew something was wrong, so I followed the sound, and was lead into a scene of total chaos." He paused, shook his head, and slowly continued. "I knew that I had no chance, but I still fought for what I could. I remember my head suddenly pulsing with large waves of pain, blurs, distorted screams. I was no longer able to use my legs, and I felt the cold ground on my side. Then I remember hearing a shout, wait. No. Not one, but many. A battle cry. This shout woke me from my half-dead state, and gave me the wits to run." He sniffed, remembering the terror that over-whelmed him on that night. "I knew before very soon that the courageous soldiers that un-intentionally saved my life, did not last. I heard their great shouts of strength and courage, turn into terrified, twisted, screams of pain as I ran.".

Rainbow Dash sat silently at the edge of her bed, in a half-asleep state of mind, losing focus on everything. It returned to her memory, the day that she almost lost her life, the day that she learned what terror was, and how it felt to just act, not thinking. It was a relatively normal day, and she was fairly bored. Her friends all were occupying themselves with their own activities, and she had nothing, at all to do. She decided that a good ol' fly, maybe some stunts, could entertain her. She knew that it wasn't wise to go too far out, for Sombra's army was camping. Being the less-then logical one she was, she figured that she could fly higher then they could see, so she could practice some new moves, or dust up on old ones.

She felt the crisp air against her wings as she took off, quickly gaining altitude so she could get straight to stunts. She did some rather routine (for her) warm ups, doing corkscrews at rather un-safe speeds,careless of anything. She soon got bored of the same old tricks, and decided it was time for something new. She had heard recently of a move, named the "Time-Split", which was a rather risky move, involving many flips and spins, and if done improperly, it can lead to the flyer to lose control, or pass out in mid-air "I don't see why not!" She said to herself, and began to rise higher, so she could get the required speed. She took a deep breath and dived, corkscrewing. She leaned back, starting to backflip and spin at the same time. She narrowed her wings backwards, struggling to keep steady, then she hit that critical moment. The top of the spin, where she had to keep her senses accute and ready. She looked upwards, so she could see the ground. Blood began to rush into her head, causing her to jerk her head back up. Too fast. The started turning forwards, spinning, while moving in the same backwards direction. She tried to catch herself, to regain control, but she was getting dizzy. She felt vomit coming up her throat, and she puked, and then her vision began to darken. "No, no no no no no no....." Her voice trailed off she passed out, falling out of the sky at neck-break speeds limply.

She awoke on the ground, somehow still alive, then she realized the landing she had. She caught on branches as she fell, spinning her, but slowing her down as she fell. She slowly stood, shaking, and yelping in pain. Pain shot up her back from her right wing. She swore under her breath, and checked herself for any further injuries. She had lots of lacerations on her sides from the trees, but it seemed only one of her wings was badly affected. Then it hit her, she had been flying above territory that was under siege, meaning that she could be killed at any moment by a soldier of Sombra. She began to panick at this realization, and her first initial thought was to get in the sky. She tried to lift off, but only to find herself on the ground a few seconds later, in agonizing pain. Her wing refused to work right. "Just think, you've flown these lands a million times over, you can find your way into safety." she said to herself. Then she heard steps, lots of them, rushing in her direction. "HALT!" a voice shouted, she turned and saw many large ponies in armor rushing at her. She turned to run, and ran straight into a tree, she fell onto her flank, head spinning. She tried to get up again but was kicked over and pinned by a hoof. She flinched at her wing, but she soon realized that she was done for, pinned by the enemy. "What d'you think you're doing?" He said in a deep, intimidating voice. Rainbow Dash struggled, trying to get free. She felt another wave of pain as another stepped on her wings, preventing her from using them to get away. She yelped and kicked wildly at her captors. "LET ME GO!" she screamed, kicking the one that held her down in the chest, knocking him backwards, off of her. She ignored the pain and rolled, slipping her wings free, and began to run.

They chased fast, keeping up with her, and soon gaining. She noticed and began to try to fly. She managed a few feet before roughly landing again, rolling to her hooves to keep moving. She tried again, and got a little higher. She landed stiff-legged, causing her to stumble and slow, then she felt a pulling force on her tail, she turned to see that one of the persuers had bitten her tail to stop her. She screamed and kicked him in the face with her hind legs, ignoring the pain, and broke free. She then stopped thinking, and jumped, flapping her wings. Very clumsily, she managed to get into the air, and slowly rise. The patrol ponies stared in disbelief. One smacked the other across the face, and yelled something unintelligable. After what felt like hours, Rainbow Dash rolled to a stop somewhere in Ponyville. She heard concerned voices and lots of hooves, then darkness.

She awoke in a hospitable bed, with lots of needles poking her. She knew that they must have been painkillers, but they weren't working very well. She sighed in relief, and rested her head. "Might I ask what you were doing out there?" a concerned voice of a doctor said. She sighed, and wearily told her story. "Please, don't be mad." She added at the end. He sighed, and shook his head. "D'you not understand the warnings to stay close to land? You're lucky to have gotten out alive, even more with just some cuts and a broken wing.". Rainbow Dash's life flashed back into reality, she was sweating heavily, sitting in a corner of her room, staring into a wall. She shook her head. "You're safe now, Dash." she said to herself to comfort herself. She stood and walked to her bed, and lay down. 'It's over, Sombra is no more.' She thought just before slipping into the realm of sleep.

Author's Note:

Don't forget to rate please, I would like to know what you thought about this chapter, or what you think the whole story is going to be like. Feel free to leave advice, or even things you'd like to see happen! I am not done developing this story, so if you give me ideas I might incorperate them into the story.