• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 4,652 Views, 333 Comments

The Last Equestrian Princess - Dr_DeDeDe



This is the story of seven friends and the years that tried to keep them apart. Princess Twilight Sparkle has loved more and lost more than anypony else. At the end of everything she remembers all she learned from all the times she said goodbye.

  • ...
10
 333
 4,652

The Stars Spell Out Your Name

The Stars Spell Out Your Name

The morning of the funeral dawned cold and foggy but by the time Twilight returned from picking up her parents from the train station the clouds had burned off and it was a disgustingly beautiful sunny day.

At breakfast, she made awkward small talk with Princess Celestia while Rarity worked to get Cadence dressed and ready for Shining Armor’s burial. A palpable tension lingered between them as they forced casual conversation. Any time Twilight tried to steer the conversation towards the topic of Cadence, Princess Celestia would only say that Cadence was simply overwhelmed by the funeral and that she was very busy and would talk to Twilight later before segwaying into a lighter topic. The more Princess Celestia skirted away from the issue, the more Twilight felt betrayed by her teacher’s silence. Twilight spent most of the morning after brooding at the breakfast table and chatting idly with her friends until it was time to leave for the capital building for the public memorial service.

Cadence arrived in the main hall with five minutes to spare before departure. Rarity had done her best to make the princess appear presentable but signs of wear were still apparent on the Princess’ face. Her wings, now ratty pink tatters of their former splendor, were tucked beneath her black dress. Her frayed and wilting mane was done up in a tight bun and hidden beneath a wide brimmed hat with a clear veil.

Nevertheless, she was smiling. Not a wide, Pinkie Pie grin or even a particularly happy smile. It was a smile that started in her red, puffy eyes and just barely tugged at the corners of her mouth. But just by smiling, Cadence looked as though the cloud of gloom that clung to her yesterday had with the morning fog.

The four princesses rode together in a small carriage on the short trip from the palace to the capital. They rode in silence, taking in the waking Crystal Capital and the ponies already lining up on the funeral procession route.

“I really wish I didn’t have to do this.” Cadence sighed as the carriage pulled up to the capital building and she caught sight of dozens of immaculately dressed ponies entering the capital. “I just wanted a quiet service where I could bury my husband in peace.”

“Shining Armor was more than just your husband.” Princess Celestia remarked. “He served a public office and as such, a public service is expected of his family.”

“He didn’t belong to them.” Cadence said softly. “He belonged to me; he belonged to Twilight and her parents. Half of them wouldn’t even show up at the burial if I invited them and they expect to speak at the service? Why?”

“Patience.” Princess Celestia said, gently patting Cadence’s shoulder. “You won’t have to share him long.”

Cadence sighed and visibly steadied herself. “Walk with me, Twilight?” Cadence asked, offering an arm to Twilight.

“Of course.” Twilight said, gently helping Cadence out of the carriage.

The capital hall looked like an ugly flowering bruise, decked in black, purple and blue. Almost immediately after arrival, a swarm of well-wishers descended on Twilight and Cadence, offering a litany of sorries and condolences. They nodded and smiled as expected of them, and then started walking forward slowly and steadily regardless of whom moved to block them with their sympathies. The sea of well-wishers parted and Twilight and Cadence were free to make their way to the front of the hall.

As they walked up the aisle, approaching the casket laid atop a short flight of marble stairs, Twilight felt light headed as if trapped in a fever dream. The casket lay surrounded by flowers and there, lying on a bed of pillows, was Shining Armor. Twilight left Cadence at the bottom of the steps and went to take her seat next to her parents in the front row. She had enough memories of Shining Armor alive; she didn’t want to add one of him dead. Cadence stopped briefly at Shining Armor’s casket, laying a hoof on his chest for a few moments and saying something that Twilight couldn’t quite make out. When she was done, she took her place by Twilight’s side and the ceremony began.

The service dragged on for what seemed like an eternity. There were dozens of speeches, hymns and memorial tributes including a eulogy from Princess Celestia about honor, duty and boldness of spirit. Twilight declined the opportunity to speak; she didn’t feel comfortable talking about Shining Armor, her brother, to crowds of strangers who only knew him as their hero and ruler. Such words that were close to her heart were reserved friends, family and her dear departed brother. Statesponies, military leaders and politicians spent most of the afternoon talking but most of it was lost on Twilight, who was barely able to determine one impersonal speech about honor and duty from the one that came before it.

The big surprise came when Twilight saw the young corporal who delivered the news about Shining Armor climb to the stage and begin speaking. He was a young soldier who Shining Armor had taken under his wing and fought beside him on the day they were ambushed. He mentioned his commander’s dedication towards the ponies under his command and love for the country they protected, but he also spoke of Shining Armor the officer. The corporal painted a picture of Shining Armor that Twilight never had a chance to see before. Twilight always thought that she knew Shining Armor the best out of anypony; that nothing in her brother’s life was secret from her. But the stallion the young soldier spoke of was a stranger to Twilight; a tough, but compassionate military man who was as likely to bust you for missing a button on your dress uniform as he was to dispense advice in tough situations. Twilight was surprised that, even after he had gone, her brother continued to surprise her with his kindness.

(Twilight made the point of tracking the poor colt down after the service and hugging him as tightly as she could muster while apologizing into his mane.)

Finally, it was Cadence’s turn. Rising shakily to her hooves, Cadence deliberately made her way to the front of the procession. With a steady voice that barely quavered with grief, Cadence delivered a beautiful eulogy befitting a princess of the realm. Though she spoke at length about Shining Armor’s history of selfless service and the great love she bore for him, it was a decidedly reserved speech, one carefully tailored to suit the audience of officials. It was perfectly fine, but there was much she left unsaid.

Finally, it was over. The casket closed with a dull and final snap and Twilight finally permitted herself to look at it. The purple and blue colors of the Crystal Empire flag were draped over the polished wooden casket and the entire procession stood as their hero passed, carried out on the shoulders of his comrades.

“Twilight.” Cadence said as soon as they were outside and ready to board the carriages that would carry them to the cemetary. “Would you like to ride with me?”

“That’s an excellent idea.” Princess Celestia said. “I’ll get Luna and the four of us can-”

“Actually, Auntie, I was wondering if Twilight would like to ride with me alone.” Cadence said. “I have another carriage waiting to carry you and Princess Luna to the cemetery.”

Princess Celestia opened her mouth a few times as if trying to pull an excuse to accompany Cadence out of thin air. Finally, she gave up.

“As you wish.” Princess Celestia said. “Just remember-”

“I know.” Cadence cut in. “Thank you for your concern.”

Twilight signaled to her friends that she was riding with Cadence and they shooed her along and into the carriage.

“Finally.” Cadence sighed, flopping down on the seat as soon as the door was closed. “That was an ordeal.”

“It was…dry to say the least.” Twilight admitted.

“There were so many ponies that I would have rather spent today with.” Cadence sighed, looking out at the crowds lining the streets. “I can tell you that any one of those ponies out there cared more about Shining Armor than-” Cadence trailed off, rubbing her eyes. “I’m not being fair; it was good of so many ponies to speak at the service but…just look at them.” Cadence said, raising a hoof and waving at the crowds of crystal ponies crowding behind railings and barricades to say their goodbyes to their fallen prince. Banners of blue and purple bearing Shining Armor’s shield and stars were draped from every window.

“They really loved him.” Cadence said, smiling through fresh tears. “They loved him so much.”

“They love you too, Cadence.” Twilight said. Amid the signs and banners honoring Shining Armor’s passing, there were posters reading “Long Live Princess Cadence!” and “We’re thinking of you, Princess.”

“It still amazes me.” Cadence said. “I came to this kingdom two years ago as a complete stranger. But these ponies put their trust in me. They trusted me to guide them out of darkness without a second thought…why?”

“You’re a princess.” Twilight said, simply.

“And what does that mean?” Cadence asked. “Why should they trust me more than any other pony? Because I have wings? Because somepony decided to put a crown on my head and start calling me princess?”

“It’s not just because you’re an Alicorn.” Twilight said firmly. “You came to their defense when nopony else did. You and Shining Armor fought for them when the chips were down and King Sombra was on their doorstep. Nopony just handed you a tiara because you have wings; you earned it. Shining Armor earned it too. And I’m sure there’s nopony that could love the crystal ponies as much as you do.”

“Shining Armor did.” Cadence said softly. “He loved them every bit as much as I did.”

“Cadence…” Twilight said, wrapping her wing around her sister in law. “I know things are bad right now and you feel like nopony has your back, but I’m here for you; whatever you need. I know I’m not Shining Armor and nothing I can say or do will ever bring him back but…I promise to love the crystal ponies just as much as you do.”

Cadence’s face was suddenly alight with fresh hope. “You…do you mean that?” She said hesitantly.

“Of course.” Twilight said. “We’re family.”

“But you mean exactly what you just said?” Cadence said. “That you’ll love the Crystal Empire and its ponies as much as I do?”

“Absolutely.” Twilight said, puffing herself up in the most regal way she could imagine. “I, Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, do hereby swear to aid in the defense of the Crystal Empire and care for its inhabitants in my late brother’s stead.”

Cadence sighed and years of worry seemed to dissolve. “You cannot begin to imagine how much this means to me, Twilight. Thank you; thank you so much.”

“Anytime Cad-” Twilight broke off as Cadence seemed to flicker again. “Cadence, are you-”

“Last stop.” Cadence said as the coach came to a stop inside a small cemetery surrounded by short walls of adamant and malachite.

"Cadence!" Twilight said, grabbing the back of Cadence's dress as she moved to leave the carriage. "Let me help you. Whatever is happening-"

Cadence patted Twilight's hoof gently, smiling at her sister in law. "There's nothing to help; everything is going to be fine. Now...let's say goodbye."

Shining Armor’s casket was carried from the cart by a full honor guard made up of crystal ponies and former Canterlot royal guards. The mourning party followed behind it, up a small hill to a little plot of land overlooking the Crystal Empire. There, waiting for them, was a small white marble tombstone embossed with a shield and stars, reading:

Shining Armor
Brother, Husband, Soldier, Prince
The Shield That Defended the Crystal Empire
2E1067-2E1095

In short order, surrounded by family and friends, Shining Armor was laid to rest. Twilight watched as her brother’s casket disappeared into the ground, never taking her eyes off it even as mounds of fresh dirt were piled on. Finally, it was complete, and Twilight found herself staring at a moist patch of Earth that held all that was left of her big brother.

The sun dipped lower and lower in the horizon and Cadence moved to sit by her sister in law’s side.

“When I was about fourteen years old,” Cadence said suddenly and softly. “I enrolled in a public high school for the first time. I had been homeschooled since I was a foal; I barely knew anypony my own age and I guess I didn’t want to grow up and miss out on being a teenager.”

“I was just a shy, dorky little unicorn who didn’t know the first thing about talking to ponies my own age.” Cadence said. “And, suffice to say, I didn’t have the greatest first day of school. I got lost on the way to class, I left my books in the library, I didn’t know where to sit at lunch so I ate alone behind the gym. It seemed like everything that could possibly go wrong, did. I couldn’t get my locker open after school and when I finally did, my homework spilled out and scattered all over the floor. I can’t remember a time when I felt so down about myself. I swore by the moon and stars that I was dropping out the next day and going back to homeschooling. And I probably would have if…”

Cadence paused for a moment, smiling fondly at the memory. “Of all the ponies that passed me in the hall, only one stopped to help me. I guess I looked pretty bad because he asked me what was wrong. I just came unglued, sobbing about how awful my day was and how I wanted to make a good first impression but I messed up all this stuff and I didn’t make any friends and nopony sat with me at lunch and I was dropping out the next day. When I finally got through blubbering in front of a complete stranger, he looked thoughtful for a moment he took me to the vending machines and bought me a candy bar and sat with me until I stopped sniffling.”

“I never forgot what he said to me.” Cadence said. “He said, “One bad day isn’t a good enough reason to give up. If you quit when things are bad, they’ll never get any better.” He said that if I wanted to quit, that was my call but that…things were going to get better for me. After a while, he left and I went home to get ready for another day at school.”

“Shining Armor…was my first friend.” Cadence said, tears freely flowing down her face. “He gave me courage when I needed it most. His love gave me wings.” Cadence said, extending her flimsy wings with a flourish of falling feathers. “And now…I want nothing more than to be with him right now.”

Cadence turned to Twilight, wiping a tear from the younger alicorn’s cheek like she did when she was little. “Twilight…do you remember what I said in the carriage ride over? About the love I have for my people?”

“Y-yes, Cadence of course but what-” Twilight said, confused.

“Do you remember what you said?” Cadence asked. “That you would love them as your brother loved them?”

“Of course.” Twilight said, taking Cadence’s hoof in hand. “Of course, Cadence, I’m here for you; now and forever.”

“Promise me.” Cadence said.

“I...I promise.” Twilight replied. “Cadence, why are you so-Cadence!”

The small mourning party cried in alarm as Cadence started glowing softly with pink light, nearly translucent. In two great shlunks her wings fell to the ground in a pile of feathers.

“It’s alright!” Cadence called out to the ponies assembled with a soft and failing voice like a distant birdsong. “It’s going to be okay! I would stay, if I could, but I have to go now…I have somepony waiting for me.”

“Go?!” Twilight cried. “What do you mean go?! Cadence, please, talk to me! Tell me what’s-”

“It’s okay Twilight.” Cadence said, smiling through her tears. “Nothing is wrong. I just can’t stay here any longer; I wish I was strong enough to, but I can’t.” Cadence shuddered, almost completely invisible now.

“Cadence…please don’t go.” Twilight sobbed. “Please…I need you.”

“You don’t need me.” Cadence said, smiling. “You haven’t needed me in a very long time and I am so very proud of you for that…and everything you’ve done for me. You're a wonderful young mare...and the greatest honor I ever had was being part of your family.” Cadence nodded at Twilight's parents who looked dumbstruck at the display before them.

Cadence turned to face her husband’s grave. “I…think…I might…have enough magic for one…more…spell…”Her horn glowed softly with pink light and in a flash, a blue crystal heart rose up to envelop the tombstone inside of it.

“There…” Cadence sighed, breathing heavily. “That’s all…I can…do for you, my love. Now I…can protect…you.”

Cadence turned back to her distressed family and friends with a beaming smile. “Thank you…all of you…I love you all so very, very much.”

And with that, in a great flash of pink light and a flurry of fallen feathers, Princess Cadence vanished into the fading daylight, leaving a pile of pink feathers and confusion in her departure.

“Cadence?!” Pinkie Pie cried, looking around wildly. “Cadence, where did you go? Why did you leave us? Cadence?”

“She’s gone, Pinkie.” Twilight said, gently picking up a fallen feather and twirling it in front of her. “She’s gone.”

"What d'ya mean, gone?!" Applejack said. "You mean she-"

"She just couldn't hold on any more." Twilight said. "Ever since Shining Armor passed she felt like she was just...fading away...and now she's gone and...I wish I knew why."

“Twilight.” Twilight felt Princess Celestia approach her tentatively from behind.

“I know you’re upset,” Princess Celestia said. “And I know you think this was something you could have prevented but …there was nothing any of us could do.”

Liar.” Twilight said softly

“I’m sorry?” Princess Celestia said, taken aback

“You’re keeping something from me.” Twilight said. “I know you are.”

“I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean, Twilight.” Princess Celestia said, uneasily.

“You don’t have to say what it is.” Twilight said. “But I wish you would just admit it instead trying to keep it a secret. I’m not a foal; even when I was, you never treated me like this.”

“Twilight, if there was anything you could’ve done-”

“Right, right; you would’ve told me.” Twilight said. “Why don’t I believe that anymore?”

“Twilight!” Princess Celestia spluttered. “What’s gotten into you?”

“What’s gotten into me is that I just buried my brother and watched my sister in law disappear in a flash of light. And what’s worse is that you’re deliberately keeping secrets from me!” Twilight bristled. “What…what gives you the right to keep secrets about my family from me?!”

“Cadence was as much a part of my family as-”

“We were more of a family to her than you ever were!” Twilight said. “Cadence practically raised me and you won’t even tell me why she’s gone!”

“Twilight…” Princess Celestia said, forcing herself to remain calm. “I understand that you’re upset right now but-”

“It’s funny.” Twilight rambled on bitterly. “But I got this stupid idea in my head that you trusted me; that you made me a princess because you wanted me to work with you to help ponies…but it’s pretty clear to me that your trust only comes when it’s convenient for you.”

“After all the faith I’ve shown you,” Princess Celestia said, taking a deep breath. “I would expect you to extend the same courtesy to me.”

“Your trust seems to come bundled with life threatening danger.” Twilight snapped. “You can trust my friends and I to risk out lives saving Equestria time and time again, but when I ask you for one simple explanation-”

TWILIGHT SPARKLE!” Princess Celestia bellowed, her voice echoing across the empty cemetery like a thunderclap in an empty auditorium. “I will not permit you to speak to me that way! I am your teacher and your Princess and I will disclose to you what I will, when I will it! I have not spent the last twenty years teaching you and training you for you to turn around and throw a fit when you don’t get your way! I don’t care if you understand my reasoning; I just expect you to accept it. Am I clear?!

There was a long silence as the mourning party stared fearfully at the two princesses glaring hard at one another.

Twilight frowned hard to stop her mouth from quivering. “Forgive me, Your Highness, I spoke out of turn.”

Don’t cry.

Princess Celestia suddenly felt her anger flow out of her, replaced by deep and sickening shame. “Twilight, wait, I’m-”

“If that will be all, I will be leaving with my friends.” Twilight said stiffly. “I am sorry to have troubled you.”

Don’t let her see you cry. Don't give her the satisfaction.

“Twilight, please I shouldn’t have spoken to you like that, I’m-”

“The train is leaving soon.” Twilight said quickly. “I should go before I miss it. Ladies,” And, with a quick curtsey, Twilight turned and left followed shortly by her friends.

“Twilight,” Fluttershy said as soon as they were out of Princess Celestia’s earshot. “Um, don’t you think that you should-”

“No, I think I'm done here." Twilight said, angrily rubbing her eyes. "I can’t stand being in this city for another second.”

“But the Princess-”

Her Highness is perfectly capable of getting home on her own.” Twilight said bitterly. “I just don’t’ see the point of returning to Canterlot with her just to board a train back to Ponyville.”

Twilight’s friends shared an uneasy look between them. “Are you alright, Twilight?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“No.” Twilight said angrily. “I’m pretty far from alright right now, Pinkie. I’ve had a long week, I had to say goodbye to my brother and sister-in-law in the same day, the pony I thought I could trust more than anypony else is lying to me and right now…I just want to go home.”

“Okay, okay.” Rainbow Dash said, wrapping a wing around Twilight’s shoulders. “We’ll go; we’ll go. Applejack, can you get-” Rainbow Dash looked around, only to find Applejack missing. “Applejack? Dang it; where’d that mare get off to?”


“Twilight!” Princess Celestia called after her retreating student. “Wait!” She made to follow her but stopped when Princess Luna put a hoof on her shoulder.

“Leave her.” Princess Luna said. “She’s endured enough for one day and the two of you are too hot to do anything but make things worse.”

“Oh stars and stones, Luna, what have I done?” Princess Celestia sighed wearily.

“Lost your temper, yelled at your student, alienated and embarrassed a young mare on the day of her beloved elder brother’s funeral.” Princess Luna said bluntly.

“Thank you Luna.” Princess Celestia said. “I think I worked that part out on my own.”

“Unpleasant, to be sure, but not unforgivable…yet. But pursue her now and risk losing her forever.” Luna said.

“I should have said something.” Princess Celestia said. “I shouldn’t have kept Cadence’s situation from her like that.”

“There is no use informing her of things she cannot help.” Princess Luna said. “And there’s no knowing how she might have reacted. Cadence’s death has implications about-”

“We should have trusted her at least.” Princess Celestia said. “I should have trusted her after all this time.”

“Maybe.” Princess Luna said. “But the milk has all been spilled; there’s no use crying over it now. Give her some space and then make your apologies.”

The two princesses sat alone in the cemetery. The funeral party had dissipated, leaving the two sisters staring at the crystal tombstone.

“So…” Princess Luna said after a time. “If anything good came out of all of this, it proved our theory correct.”

“It would seem so.” Princess Celestia replied.

“Still…our situation is a bit different, is it not?” Princess Luna said.

“True.” Princess Celestia conceded. “But if anything, this proves that we are bound to Equestria by our magic. Once it leaves us-”

“I do not see how that helps us.” Princess Luna said. “The sun and moon are not about to be murdered by goblins.”

“Destruction has nothing to do with it; it’s all about transference. I managed to take control of the moon in your absence.” Princess Celestia said. “That, if anything, proves Starswirl’s 66th Theory of Magical Mutability.”

“Comforting.” Princess Luna said dryly. “Have I told you how glad I am that we are basing our retirement plan on the half-mad ramblings of a unicorn that blew himself up trying to become immortal? Other elderly ponies would opt for a timeshare in Ponolulu, but we have to go for full metaphysical transfiguration.”

Elderly?” Princess Celestia said. “We’re elderly now?”

“We are the elderliest.” Princess Luna said. “You would have been well within your rights to retire to a beachfront condominium centuries ago.”

“And leave you holding the bag when you got back?” Princess Celestia said. “Never.”

“So what’s our next step?” Princess Luna said

“I think we should proceed with our little project as planned.” Princess Celestia said. “Cadence’s…passing has provided us with the proof I’ve been searching for; there’s no reason to delay it any longer…provided-”

“Princess Celestia!”

Celestia and Luna looked up to see Applejack standing at the cemetery gate, breathing hard and glaring hard at the ground beneath her feet.

“Applejack?” Princess Celestia said. “I thought you had a train to catch; is something wrong?”

“I’ll only be a second.” Applejack said, voice quavering and eyes brimming with tears. “I…well, there’s just something I gotta say before I lose my nerve.”

“Applejack, what-”

“I just gotta say…” Applejack said, legs shaking and mouth quivering. “That you oughtta be ashamed of yourself…ma’am!”

“Wha-” Princess Celestia gawked incoherently

“I just gotta say,” Applejack blurted out. “That if anypony else hollered ever at one of my friends the way you hollered at Twilight back there, I woulda whooped them so hard that their grandkids woulda felt it…and if it wasn’t for that fancy crown on your head, I’d be whoopin your sorry hide right this minute…ma’am!” And before Princess Celestia could say anything in reply, Applejack had turned tail and scampered down the street.

Princess Celestia stared slack jawed at the spot that Applejack stood only moments ago. Then, Princess Luna started shaking with suppressed laughter.

“What?” Princess Celestia said.

“Nothing.” Princess Luna snerked.

“If you’ve got something to say Luna-” Princess Celestia said.

“Nothing at all, sister.” Princess Luna said, forcing a grave expression.

“Are you sure?” Princess Celestia said

“Positive.” Princess Luna said, struggling to keep a straight face.

There was a brief moment of silence between the two sisters.

“Get it out of your system.” Princess Celestia groaned as her sister erupted into a fit of giggles.

“Oh…my….stars!” Princess Luna laughed. “You just got scolded! Her Royal Highness, Princess Celestia, Ruler of Equestria and Mistress of the Dawn just got scolded by a farmpony from Ponyville.”

“Yes, yes, haha.” Princess Celestia said dryly.

“And you know she would do it, too!” Princess Luna chuckled, wiping a tear away. “If it had been anypony else, they’d be drinking their meals through a wired jaw for weeks to come.”

“I should have let her.” Princess Celestia brooded. “I deserve it.”

“Always the drama queen.” Princess Luna chided. “Do not let your inclination towards emotional self-flagellation prevent you from making things right with Twilight Sparkle.”

“I know.” Princess Celestia sighed.

“And…try to keep that temper of yours under control.” Princess Luna said as delicately as she could.

“Believe me…I’m trying.” Princess Celestia said.

“It’s getting worse, isn’t it?” Princess Luna said

“Yes…” Princess Celestia sighed. “Last week I yelled at a footman for bumping into me in the hall. I thought the poor colt was going to dissolve into a puddle by the time I got a hold of myself.”

“Time ravages us all differently; some of us bear its scars more openly than others.” Princess Luna said.

“Yes…I suppose you’re right. I don’t know what scares me more at this point; waking up one day to discover that I’ve become a monster or looking in the mirror and seeing a monster that’s been here for centuries.” Princess Celestia sighed. “We can’t keep putting this off; it has to be soon.”

“And if it doesn’t work?” Princess Luna said.

Princess Celestia shrugged. “We’ll think of something else; it’s not like we’re wanting for time.”

“No…I suppose it has to be soon though.” Princess Luna sighed. “I only wish we did not have to involve Twilight Sparkle in this.”

“No one regrets Twilight’s role in this more than I.” Princess Celestia sighed. “I love that mare like a daughter…despite what I may have said. I wish there was some other way to do this.”

“There is.” Princess Luna said simply.

“What?!” Princess Celestia said. “What do you mean?!”

“There’s always another way.” Princess Luna said. “We’re just not smart enough to think of it.”

“Speak for yourself, sister.” Princess Celestia chuckled, lightly poking Luna in the side.

They shared a comfortable silence for a while as the sun lingered on the horizon. Princess Celestia reached out with her magic, taking the weight of the sun with practiced grace and gently guiding it down to its resting place for the evening. Beside her, Princess Luna closed her eyes and drew the stars from the sky, one by one.

“Did it really have to end this way?” Princess Celestia said, sadly tracing her hoof over the glittering heart and shield on the tombstone in front of her.

“It was a bitter necessity.” Princess Luna said. “She would have sickened, twisted and become something foul if she lived past today. You've seen it happen before."

“I know.” Princess Celestia said. “I…I just wish I could have saved her. It’s funny; for a pony with the power over the sun itself, I feel so powerless at times.”

“Celestia, the day you have the power to decide who lives and who dies will be the day that you will truly become a monster.” Princess Luna said. “Cadence’s passing was…natural. Just another part of life.”

“Just a part of life.” Princess Celestia echoed. “The worst thing about getting old is that the platitudes get just as old.”

“I don’t expect you to find comfort in this.” Princess Luna said softly. “I just hope you can forgive yourself for something you had no control over.”

“Thank you Luna.” Princess Celestia said.

“All will be well with Twilight.” Princess Luna soothed. “A little strife is healthy for most relationships and the two of you are long overdue for a small scuffle. But don’t give her the opportunity to apologize for your wrong doing.”

“No, you’re right. I’ll beg forgiveness as soon as I can.” Princess Celestia said, laying back and looking up at the night sky.

“And if you must insist on beating yourself up, there’s a mare in Ponyville that’s more than willing to help you with that.” Princess Luna said, earning a reluctant laugh from her sister. The two of them laid back on the grass like they did when they were fillies, staring at the stars whirling in the heavens.

“The stars look wonderful tonight, Luna.” Princess Celestia remarked.

“Thank you.” Princess Luna said.

“To tell you the truth, I never quite got the hang of it.” Princess Celestia said. “Not even after thousands of nights of practice. I could always manage the moon easily enough but the stars…I could never make them shine like you…could…” Princess Celestia trailed off, squinting at a cluster of stars near the horizon. “Luna…is that-”

“Twenty eight new stars carefully selected and arranged for their size and luminescence.” Princess Luna said, admiring the new constellation hanging near the moon. “Took quite a bit of magic to make happen; one of my finer works if I do say so myself. It has about a thousand years since I made a new one and this is a worthy occasion to remember.”

“Oh Luna.” Princess Celestia sighed, wiping a stray tear from her eye. “It’s magnificent.”

“Consider it recompense for missing their wedding.” Princess Luna said. “I am only sad that they are not here to see it.”

The two princesses leaned against one another as the night wrapped itself around them. Outside the cemetery gates, ponies were arriving with candles and flowers for the memorial. In the palace, Madame Dapifer made the bed and drew a bath for a princess she didn’t know wasn’t coming home. A train carried a tired, brokenhearted Twilight Sparkle away from the Crystal Empire in the company of her friends and back to her little bed in the Ponyville library.

And above all of them a starry shield and shimmering heart blazed together across the blue, velvety night.


Twilight finds herself back in the field.

In the field, under the oak, the shadow of a young unicorn mare appears beside the lonely stallion. She embraces the young stallion who jumps up in shock, looking at the mare in disbelief. She says something and the young stallion seizes her in a passionate kiss while the battered knight looks on enviously. They embrace as if parted for an eternity, then turn to the battered knight apologetically.

The knight shakes his head and urges them onward across the field to some invisible location. They bow in thanks and take off running in wild abandon.

Twilight cries after them, begs them not to go, struggling to chase them but her legs give out and she falls to the ground, sobbing pitifully. The pair turns back, sad smiles on their faces. They turn back to help Twilight but the battered knight reaches her first, gently raising Twilight to her hooves again.

The knight shakes his head at the young lovers and urges them on. Twilight is rooted to the ground by his presence, unable to pursue the fleeing couple. The couple gallops farther and farther across the plain, pausing at the crest of the hill to look back on Twilight.

They smile

Twilight screams for them

And she is shaken awake by the clattering of the train. Twilight looks around her in confusion, only seeing her friends asleep sprawled out on the compartment seats and huddled under blankets. Blinking blearily, she wraps herself tightly in the starchy blanket the train attendant gave her and prays for sleep again.

Author's Note:

Seven hells, do these girls like to talk. For a story about Twilight, Celestia is stealing the show more than I originally intended her to.

This was supposed to be tacked on to the last chapter and the one that came before it. I never meant to spend this long in the Crystal Empire but I realized that I had to set up plot points and alicorn mythology that are going to be important in the future. This started as a series of one shots but I decided to tie everything together and make a more coherent story.

So yeah, Twilight and Celestia had a fight. For Exalted players, Celestia's undergoing a mild form of Limit Break common in First Age Solars. For the rest of you who didn't understand that last sentence, you'll see soon enough.

The dating on Shining Armor's tombstone (2EXXXX) refers to the Second Era, which began when Celestia was crowned so 2E1000 refers to 1000 years after Celestia rose to power. Also, despite Faust's statements about ponies living as long as ponies on earth, I'm going with human ages to make things simpler. For reference, the Mane 6 are about 20-22, Spike is about 13 or so and Shining Armor and Cadence were 28

Thank you for reading! Feedback is appreciated and comments are always welcome. I hope to god this isn't getting cheesy


Next Chapter: THE FARMER AND THE VIPER