• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 9,616 Views, 1,058 Comments

Looking Through the Pokeball - Magical Trevor



Pokemon start to appear in Equestria, but they don't seem to be the same as the stories in the myths once claimed...

  • ...
34
 1,058
 9,616

PreviousChapters Next
Of Spas and Berries

By the time I entered the spa, I was almost dripping in sweat again, despite the impromptu bath Kaye provided back at the farm. Still, Kaye was kind enough to bound from Jess's back to open the door for us, a bell ringing from above. “Hello, welcome to The Aloe and Lotus Rejuvenation Spa! Can I make an appointment for... Oh, Fluffy!”

I... Wow, words fail me... Rarity was helping at the spa. And even though she was only the receptionist, she was wearing the Spa uniform, which was a very spiffy towel bandana thing to keep her hair back. Her mane and tail were styled loosely, not having the special curling I saw the past couple days. I was fairly certain before, but after noticing a couple of the sitting patrons eying Rarity when they thought she wasn't looking, I then knew: she must be very attractive for a pony. I guess I could see why, after trying to look dispassionately, ignoring the fact that she was a horse. Er, pony. Equine, thing.

Anyway! She had a spotless coat, her face was perfectly symmetrical, and she carried herself in a way that said she knew she was beautiful, but didn't boast about it every five seconds. She was confident.

And that's it. What? Expected a more analytic description? Come on, I'm a guy. You don't ask a guy how you look.

“And Crystal and Kaye, I wasn't-” Rarity whinnied, flustered. She took a deep breath, then tried again. “Didn't you see the note I left on the table?”

I glanced at Jess and Kaye, but they both shook their heads. How to explain to Rares, hmm... Aha!

“Hey Kaye, when I look at you, think you can imitate an alarm clock?”

“Yepper Peppers!”

I looked back at Rarity, nodding as I began charades. I crossed my forearms, before shaking my head no.

“No?” a gray pegasus mare guessed. I nodded at her, surprised that the spa had a blue couch in the waiting room, until I remembered that they would want patrons to be able to relax, so that it would be easier for their treatments to work.

I pointed at my wrist, where a watch would be worn, but the only guesses were fur, wrist, and orange. I frowned, but I would not be deterred! I made both ears go straight up, before moving my left ear down in exaggerated motions, making sure my ear is jarred with each twitch. Once it reached parallel with the ground, I looked pointedly at Kaye for her to do her thing.

I was impressed. She not only managed to sound, at least somewhat, like an alarm clock, but she even vibrated in place, her fur shaking back and forth in waves.

“Oh! Time! He didn't have time!” the pegasus guessed again, cheering. “He was late!”

I like her. She's pretty cheerful. Upbeat. She's got bubbles on her butt, so I guess she's bubbly? Maybe she makes bubble bath salts? She can blow some good bubbles? I dunno.

“Ah, well, thank you, Ditzy dear,” Rarity nickered, giving the pegasus a smile. “Well, the short of it is, Fluffy, is that due to the princesses... activities, yesterday, many ponies decided they needed to indulge in a relaxing day at the spa, or make sure their backs are alright, so the spa is booked solid for the next couple days; they won't have time to train you until they get caught up, sadly. I volunteered to help, naturally, but I'm afraid that means I won't have time to cook dinner, so-”

“I got it.”

“Um... come again, Fluffy?” Rarity asked.

“Err... Okay,” I mumbled, rubbing my head. I pointed to myself firmly.

“I!”

Okay, that's it. Forget showing Rarity, I should just show whatshername, she understands me! I made a grabbing motion, holding the nothing to my chest.

“Grabbed? Gathered? Got?”

I nodded at the last one, before realising the problem with the last word.

“Oh! I got it?” she asked, smiling as her left eye started to drift a different direction from the other.

“Cool!” Kaye exclaimed, running up to the mare. “How you get your eye to do that? Does it hurt? Did it take lotsa practice? Can you see like a, a Charmeleon? Is you feather super soft? Has you made a pillow from your own featherses?”

“Kaye!” Rarity exclaimed, admonishing the poor pink Eevee. “Don't harass poor Derpy like that! You don't ask ponies lots of questions when you first meet them!”

“Whai nots? How you gets to know them, then?” she asked, her childish innocence not allowing her to make the right connection.

“It's okay, Rarity, really,” Derpy said, smiling. “She's just curious! Learning's a good thing! But, um... I don't know what you're saying, little one, sorry. Maybe you can ask your parents?”

Oh dear God... She had to say the p word, didn't she...

Jess and I looked at each other for all of half a second before shaking our heads rapidly, taking a couple steps away from each other.

“Oh, sorry. I jumped to conclusions again, didn't I?” Derpy said, her ears falling flat on her head.

“Nu-uh!” Kaye said, poking the depressed pony repeatedly. “They is too my fambily! See, this is Cryssy. She's my sissy! An Mista Fluffy, he, he bees mai daddy! I adoptified him, so he still bees learning.”

“I did what now?” I asked Jess, quirking an eyebrow. “What, did she drug me? Get me drunk? Oh dang, she got me drunk, didn't she? Dangit! First time getting drunk and I don't even... Wait, but when have I woken up with a head-”

Try five times your first day, brah, remember?

... Oh yeah. I blame the brain damage from said headaches.

“Right. First day we were here, I kept getting knocked unconscious, so I was a bit tired, achy, and probably suffering brain damage. When we were playing in the dreamscape, the first time we met, near the end she had 'claimed' me, something about Mount. Fluffy, but I thought she was just playing. I didn't know she was an orphan.”

My eyes flickered to Kaye, who was still babbling about her complex family to Derpy, who was nodding along, despite not understanding a single word.

“You know you'll have to tell her at some point, right?” Jess said, arcing an eyebrow at me.

“... Maybe.”

“Maybe?” she hissed, glaring at me. “There's no maybe about it! Unless you're independently wealthy, there's no way you can afford to legally adopt her!”

“But that's just it,” I answered slowly, the gears in my head turning. “Think about where we are! Assuming they figure out a way to get us back home, like they said they would try. From what I've seen in Rarity's shoppe, gems are a lot more common here, as is gold, if they have such a large country, and yet still manage to follow the gold standard. Assuming all that, we would likely be able to take what we've earned with us, right? And what about copyright laws? They only cover the world, at best. There are some things that don't even get copyright outside of the U.S.!”

Jess's eyes widened, so I assume she was following what I was suggesting. “Furthermore, even if we couldn't give them our technology and copyright it, imagine what we might be able to take back with us that we could then copyright? Odds are, that's more likely, as I can't really see the ponies wanting to open communications with Earth, once they hear more about our history. I don't know how patriotic you are, but I don't trust my government not to fuck that up to high heaven and low hell.”

Jess snorted. “That's an understatement.”

“Exactly. So since they wouldn't want to tell Earth about Equestria, surely they wouldn't mind if we were able to take something with us, right? At best, we'd trade technology information, so either way, we'd still profit. Even if I only earned a million dollars with whatever we can take with us, not counting any gold or gems I earn by working, that's more than enough money to invest and grow, and that would allow me to officially adopt Kaye, as I would have the money to be a stay-at-home parent. It would be better if I got married, too, but since I'd have to consider finding and adopting Kaye, that would have to take priority, so dating wouldn't be a likely option.”

Jess blinked, wrapping her tail around her forelegs. After a moment of relative silence, she narrowed her eyes. “Alright, let's make a deal, then.”

A deal? Be careful, brah! She's crafty!

Well duh, she's a girl. Why do you think they make as good business people as men?

“I'm listening.”

“Well, first-”

“Miz Ditzy Doo? Jou kan come back now,” a lilting voice announced from down the hall. Wish I knew what kind of accent it was, but I suck at telling them apart. Still pretty damn sexy, though. Too bad it came from a pony. Sigh.

“Yayifications! C'mon, I always wanted to see a spa!” Kaye cheered, pulling Derpy down the hall. The pegasus mare was chuckling, but I still had to follow. I couldn't leave her alone! She's only a kid, afterall.

“C'mon, we'd better follow before she burns the building down.”

“I was going to say floods myself, but she probably got that out of her system at the barn,” Jess commented, rolling her eyes with a slight smile.

We walked down the short hall, following Derpy and Kaye, before we emerged into a large room. “Velcome! Ve... Ah, Miz Doo, is zis jour... oh, Floofy!”

“Floofy?” Jess snickered, hiding her mouth behind a paw.

I chuckled nervously, more at Aloe than Jess. I opened my mouth to speak, but of course, Kaye started talking first. “Can we watch? Can we can we can we?”

“Vat?”

Pantomiming time! I pointed at my eyes, then to Kaye.

“Jou're vatching ze leetle von?” the mare asked, her eyes flickering from Kaye to me.

I nodded, smiling. Then I pointed to Kaye, then my eyes, then waved my paw at the building.

“She wants to watch?” Derpy guessed, not even flinching as Kaye scrambled onto the pegasus' back.

“Pwease?”

Derpy turned her head to look at the pink Eevee on her back.

Kaye used her ability, Cute Charm!
It hit the enemy Derpy!
The enemy Derpy is Infatuated!
What will she do?

“Of course you can sweetie!” Derpy cooed, giving the Eevee a nuzzle. “Err, assuming it's okay with them, I mean.”

Aloe shrugged, looking at me and Jess for help. When we looked at each other, Aloe sighed, then said, “As long as she don't disturb the other customer, she can stay.”

“Yayifications!”

“Well, I learned a lot,” Jess said, walking next to me as we headed to the Library.

“Yeah, no kidding,” I added, shaking my head. “They're really, really skilled if they can make other ponies that relaxed and rejuvenated using their hooves. That's a lot to live up to, but at least I do have an advantage. Well, two, technically.”

“Oh, me me me! Pick me! I can guess!” Kaye chanted from my back, rocking back and forth. “Ish cause you has soft paws, an can make them super duper hot to relaxify the muscles?”

“Exactly!” I said, before realising I shouldn't be encouraging such a hyperactive kid. “Speaking of relaxing, what do you say we find some books to read?”

“But Mista Fluffy, I dun understand their weird wordses! They look funny,” Kaye said, crossing her forelegs in an adorable pout.

“That... is a good point.” I frowned, then blinked. “Wait... Then all we have to do is find a book about their ABC's, get a few kids books, and then we can learn how to read! It shouldn't be too complicated, unless their grammar and sentence structures are vastly different.”

“Yeah, hope you don't mind if I let you do most of the figuring it out,” Jess said with a yawn. “I was never good at phonics or foreign languages. Too busy dood- err, doing homework,” she said slowly, eyes flickering to me before the door opened.

Dude? That's gotta be short for something. Hmm... Brian, mind putting that on the back-burner?

Eh, I guess. Seems interesting enough. Besides, I want to figure out more about this mysterious woman.

Eh, sure, alright. Have fun with that, thanks.

“Wispy!” Kaye exclaimed, before jumping from my back to Wisp's, glomping her. “I's so glad to see you! We, we's gonna find some books an learn how to read! Wanna join us?”

“I guess.” She sighed, letting her head sag onto the main table. “Twilight's given up.”

“On the translation spell?” I asked, a pit forming in my stomach. Twilight can't figure out a translation spell? How is she going to figure out an inter-dimensional travel spell to get us home?! We're gonna be stuck here forever?

“Huh? Oh, no, of course not! She just...” Wisp bobbed her head back and forth. “She's just decided to take a different avenue of approach to figuring out the spell, that's all. She says it's not so much of a direct translation as she thought, and there's too many inconsistencies with what is said and what is meant.”

“Huh... Well, that makes sense, I suppose,” I said, scratching my chin. “Especially when you consider that there are some Pokemon that only have one or two syllables to work with, and there are others with more than four. I guess it would be next to impossible that way. She probably has to figure out an intent-to-speech spell, or something that verbalizes thoughts instead of-”

“That's a stupid idea,” Jess interrupted, shaking her head. “Verbalizing thoughts? That's the last thing you want. You'd accidentally insult everyone you met. 'Does this dress make me look fat?' 'Of course it makes your hips look big; you'd have to be blind not to see that!' Yeah, that sounds like a brilliant idea.”

“That... is a very fair point,” I conceded, nodding. “Thanks for that.”

“No problem.”

*Knock knock knock*

“Er, hello? It's Moonstone. May I come in? We, that is to say, Prince Blueblood and I, well... Um, help?”

I looked at Jess, but she only shrugged. “Don't look at me. I thought Blueblood said he was going to explore the edge of the Everfree Forest, or whatever it's called. Maybe they ran into some poison ivy?”

Kaye bounded to the door, opening it with a slam as she proceeded to glomp the albino Umbreon. “Mista Moony! Yayifications! Where bees Aunt Loony?”

“Princess Luna is watching the strange plant we found, to make sure it doesn't do anything weird,” Moonstone said, wincing slightly as Kaye scrambled onto his back. Kaye didn't notice her claws were extended, apparently.

“Weird?” I mumbled, thinking, before my eyes shot open. “Show us!”

“But I need to get Princess Twilight. It's why I'm here,” Moonstone said, confused.

“What's going on?” said princess inquired, coming in from the kitchen.

“Moonstone said he found a strange plant, so Princess Luna and Blueblood are waiting for you to investigate it. Or maybe take notes, I'm not sure,” Wisp explained, forehoof scratching at the floor.

“Think they do that when they're nervous or unsure?” I breathed to Jess, glancing at her from the corner of my eye.

“Probably a reflexive habit. I doubt they do it on purpose, since it's such an obvious tell,” she suggested.

“Oh? Well that sounds interesting enough,” Twilight said, though her eyes seemed unfocused. “It sounds like a good break from this troublesome translation spell, if only for a few hours. Alright, let's go! Spike!

The short, purple dragon poked his head in from the other room, which I guess from the sounds and smells was likely the kitchen. “Yeah Twi? What'cha need?”

“I need you to watch the Library for me while I'm gone, alright?”

“Aye aye! You can count on me!” Spike saluted.

I couldn't help but notice he was wearing an apron that said 'Will work for gems.' Makes sense. After all, dragons sleep on gems, right? Seems kind of small for a dragon, though... Wait, didn't someone say something about him being a baby or something? Meh, I'll worry about that later. If the plant is what I think it is, this could be our chance to get rich! Allons-y!

“I freaking knew it!” I crowed, prancing in place. “We're rich! We're rich we're rich we're rich!”

“Why are you rich?” Wisp asked, looking from the plant to me. “What-”

“It's a berry plant!” I exclaimed, hugging the little sapling carefully. “Berries are one of the main sources of food for all Pokemon!”

After relaying the information, Twilight said, “I don't know. Doesn't look like any berry plant I've seen... And how did it grow so fast?”

I opened my mouth, but then quickly shut it as Brian began talking.

Don't tell them!

Why not? I mean they-

If you tell them how easily they grow, then they'll take it and grow the berries themselves, and we won't get anything! This is our chance to get rich!

W-well yeah, sure, but I don't want to like steal from anyone! What about Jay? She struggles enough as it is selling her apples! If we introduce berries that are large and bountiful, and grow like hot-cakes, then we'd be screwing her over! I can't do that to her!

We don't know how easily they grow. We have an idea, but we don't know.

“Well,” I said, before Brian could try to talk me further into being a selfish git. “From what the game says, they're fairly easy to grow. In the game, they grow roughly every twenty-four hours, but how much that time is an actual, accurate representation, and how much is gameplay making it manageable for the players to grow as many berries as they want is an unknown.”

“Then what should we do?” Twilight asked, stepping away from the plant. “It could be poisoning the dirt for all we know.”

“It wouldn't do that,” Jess cut in, sniffing the plant. “If it poisoned the dirt, how would it grow? In the game, the best you could do was make the soil dry out by not watering it enough. They need a lot of water, but that's part of how they justify their rapid growth as well.”

“So, again, what do we do?” Twilight asked impatiently, tapping a hoof. “We can't take any samples, because there's only one plant.”

“We transplant it and look for more plants! Look,” I said, starting to pace. “Jay has a large field they haven't been able to use for some years because they don't have the pony-power, right?”

“Sad,” Jay said, lowering her hat, “but true.”

“Then how about this? You let Jess, Moony and I take over that field, at the expense of a percentage of the crop's yield or profits, depending on whichever turns out to be more profitable.”

“Shucks, you could just use th' field. It's not like it's being used anyway,” Jay argued with Wisp, shrugging.

Jess looked at me with wide eyes, smiling widely, but I shut her down. “Sorry, Jess, but I'd rather you hate me than gain money dishonorably. Think of it as a lease. Should we get enough money, maybe then we can buy the land fairly, alright?”

She opened her mouth, then closed it. “Right. Sorry, I wasn't thinking, I guess. Everyone here is so much more generous than back home, it's easy to take advantage of it, I guess.”

“Well, think of it this way, Jess. If we got lucky, and this is one of the important berries, like Sitrus, Leppa, or Lum, think of the medicines they might be able to create from our berries. Think of what health things could be done. Think of the multitude of recipes will be created with the addition of berries. We're talking about mountains of copyrights, heaps of royalties! This could be the medical and or culinary breakthrough of the millenia!”

“So... Since I discovered it, does that mean I get to name the plant?” Moonstone asked hopefully, perking up. “I've always wanted to name something...”

Jess and I looked at each other, realising the same thing: Moonstone was the one who found the plant. Technically, all rights should go to him first. “Well,” Jess said slowly, propping one foreleg to her chin with the other. “It all depends on whether the plant is new or not. If it's one from the game, then really, the name should stay the same, but you would get full credit for having discovered the plant in that instance, Moon. Say... You're fairly young, aren't you?”

“Err, I'm sixteen,” he said, looking around. “Is that young?”

“No, that's just right,” Jess purred, walking up to him with her hips swaying slightly. “So tell me, Moonstone. Have you ever had any interests in farming?”

“Huh? I guess a little, maybe. I know fifteen different recipes for grass, does that count?”

Jess blinked, then shrugged. “Sure, I don't see why not. Now, would you be willing to let Fluffy and I take the plant off your paws? We'll grow it for you, nurture it, and in exchange, you'll get part of the profits. That sound fair?”

“I guess?” Moonstone looked to Luna, looking for help.

Poor Wisp was tripping over every other sentence, trying to keep up. After a minutes, Luna frowned. “So the question is who the plant belongs to?”

“More or less,” I admitted, not trusting Jess to beat around the bush.

“Tis a simple matter. Moonstone found it first, so tis up to him what he wants done with it.” Luna nodded decisively, turning away.

“I don't know,” Moonstone said, looking back and forth. “What do I do with a plant?”

“You grow it, of course,” I said, smiling at the poor kid. I know he's sixteen, but he's more like a kid than an adult. “You grow it, nurture it, and then replant it. That simple.”

“I don't know,” he repeated, pawing at the ground. “I don't know about growing things. I only ever knew about magic, and that's been taken away from me, so-”

“Then let us help,” I interrupted, placing a paw on his shoulder. “We'll show you how to do things, and we'll do the work, and we'll give you part of the crop as payment, alright?”

“I guess...”

“Okay then,” I said smiling at the confused Umbreon. “Let's get this bush transplanted, and then you can search for more plants if you want, alright?”

“Yer gonna need an Earth Pony to grow that plant, though,” Jay said, readjusting her hat. “If you want to make sure it grows healthy and strong, that is. Before you ask,” she continued, holding up a hoof, “ah can't. Ah'm too busy with mah apples as it is.”

“Well, do you know anyo-anypony looking for work?”

“Not... really,” Applejack said, frowning. “I mean, there is Berry Punch. She used to own a vineyard, but then... Not sure what exactly happened, really, but now she basically spends a good portion of the day drinking.”

I looked at Jess, and I could see the same mad glint in her eye that I'm sure was in mine. “Sounds like a lead to me! C'mon, let's go check her out! Maybe she's just been waiting for a chance to turn her life around. Let's got give her a second chance! What do you say, Kaye?”

“Kaye says we should go get miss pretty pony to help!” Kaye cheered, bouncing up and down. “C'mon, Moony, let's go find a pretty nerth pony to help us growify the, the berries!”

“Are you sure?” Wisp asked, quirking an eyebrow. “I'm willing to help translate, of course, but are you sure she's the best-”

“Oh come on, Wispy, where's you, you sense of adventures?” Kaye asked, tilting her head.

“Yeah, we're sure, Wisp,” I said, speaking for all of us. “Everypony deserves a second chance!”

“Besides, we're not about to question our moves now! No time!” Jess said with a malicious grin, looking at me from the corner of her eye.

“Oh, oh oh oh! I knows dis song!” Kaye cheered, bouncing in place. “C'mon, Mista Fluffy, we gots ta sing it now! Ish, ish a ruler!”

I sighed, then started laughing. “Alright, why not. I'm a horrible singer, but since you ask, I suppose there's worse things to do on the way to find Berry. Lead on, Kaye!”

Author's Note:

A/N: Insert obligatory Master Quest youtube link here. X3

Man, today wasn't supposed to last this long, but it just keeps going! I blame Kaye! Ever since she headbutted Cryssy two chapters ago, she's made everything longer! I just hope you all are enjoying the extra length!

Can't believe I've written over six thousand words in just one or two days! THIS is the rate I used to write at, back in the old days. I'm sure the quality is suffering a little, and I'm sorry for that. I'm just too happy to actually be getting stuff done when I was stuck for so long. When I first started this story, I just wrote whatever the character and situations said I should be, so that's why I've been writing so much. I'm just... letting the characters drive the story. Originally, it was only going to be Fluffy who found the plant, and then he'd get the others to help with the plant, not Moonstone finding it, and Jessie/Crystal wanting in on it, but this is what the characters decided, so... What can I say?

Feel free to make suggestions for random stuff to happen. Never know, it might happen!

Still don't have internet, so I guess I'll keep writing. Getting really nervous, though. I have homework due Wednesday, and Thursday is the day of my presentation, and I haven't been able to do any research, or anything! I'm a good speaker, perhaps even great, but I can't do anything without information! I just... Getting really nervous here... It'll be in the past, for you guys, but I still need to say it.

PreviousChapters Next