• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 1,493 Views, 19 Comments

Power Windows - Eagle Heart



A human shaman from another world must face an evil king that threatens Equestria by way of slavery and poverty. All while learning about friendship through the darkest of times.

  • ...
3
 19
 1,493

Memories of the Past: Part 2

“See anything?”

“N-no... just sand.”

A group sigh sounded all around Celendros. The middle-aged shaman groaned before wiping a bead of sweat from his forehead. He was tired from carrying Rainbow Dash on his back for nearly a mile now, but the heat was making it an actual challenge.

“I’m so thirsty...” was all Pinkie Pie could say to the group, her mouth was dried up from lack of saliva.

“I know, we all are.” Twilight weakly said. She leaned up against Cel’s waist to try to help relieve some of the pressure on her legs.

“Celendros... she’s beginning to look a little pale.” Rarity managed to let out while struggling to keep up with the rest of the group.

“Ugh... I know, she’s beginning to feel a bit cooler. We need to... pick up the pace.” Cel said between dry coughs. To which he began to pick up the pace as best he could, but within just a few feet of walking. The heat began to play tricks on him.

The shaman looked to his feet to find they were walking backward, but when he looked up they were still moving forward. Celendros shook his head a bit to try and clear it, that only made it worse though. His vision became red before his legs began to feel heavy, like sandbags were attached to his ankles. Before he could do anything, they fell right out from under him and his vision blurred.

He could tell his friends were saying something, but everything was fuzzy and muffled, like his ears were covered. “I... I...” was all the barely conscious shaman let out before his eyes began to force themselves shut, “Cac... tus...” Then everything went black.


The sound of pouring water and birds played over and over in his ears, like a broken record, but soothing. There was a voice but it was too far away to be understood. Celendros attempted to stand but found he could not move his body and that his eyes would not open. “What is this?!” the shaman yelled out furiously, if there was a time to toy with the man, then would not have been the proper time.

“Persevere” a whisper quietly said in his ear. It was a female voice, it sounded like... her.

“Y-you!” was all Cel could say before he suddenly felt a shock of pain in his face. “OW!” echoed throughout wherever he was. “Enough of this! Whoever is doing this, I will end you as soon as I am free!”

“Don’t try, you’re in my world now.” a deep voice pounded in the shaman’s ears. “When the time comes, I will tear your mind in two. Like a knife that cuts butter.”

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” Cel yelled out in pure anger before he felt the sensation of being submerged under water and everything blacked out once again for him.


Celendros yelled as he shot up from wherever he was laying. With a quick observation of where he was, the shaman deduced that he had been brought to an oasis in the desert. In front of the man a wooden bucket surrounded in a purple glow was aimed right at him... still wet. “Water...” he said, not even looking at anyone around him.

“Uh... sure.” the familiar voice of Twilight Sparkle said from behind him.

Shortly the same bucket was brought back to Cel, this time full of water. Immediately, he yanked it out of Twilight’s grasp and chugged the water down as fast as he could. Desparate for every last drop.

As soon as her friend was done drinking, Twilight spoke up, “We found an oasis and did our best to keep y-”

“Rainbow Dash, where is she?” Cel cut her off rather hastily, not really caring about his well-being.

“Sh-she’s near the water...” she quickly told the shaman, unsure whether to be nervous or happy.

Without a word, Celendros got up and went over to inspect Rainbow. What he found wasn’t pleasant, she was in a state that was worse than what she was in earlier. Quickly he went down to check her vitals and found that his friend was still hanging on. “There’s still time.” Cel stated to the group.

Everyone was enjoying their time of rest, but immediately went over after they heard Celendros say what he did.

“I need a bucket of water, some sand, cloth, and some fire.” he ordered to the group before they all went off to go find his required items to save the cyan pegasus.

Soon, only a few minutes later all five of them returned with the items their shamanistic friend needed and made sure to place them neatly next to him.

Celendros closed his eyes and took a deep breath. After, he took the sand and filled his hands with it. The shaman laced it all over the wound to help stop the bleeding as best he could before rubbing outside of it to get the excess sand off.

Rainbow Dash lightly groaned and twitched, it was obvious the sand hurt quite a bit.

Cel kept going though, how she felt wasn’t a priority. He found what they did for fire and basically they make a small little fireplace next to him that he could light with electricity. So he did and brought his hand to the fire. The fire obeyed the shaman’s every command and followed his hand as he slowly attempted to cauterize the wound.

“The painful part is over” he said to at least try to reassure Rainbow if she could hear him. Celendros then took the water and enclosed it within his hands. A faint glow came within as he cascaded the water over the wound and heal it as best he could.

The healing helped some, it brought Rainbow Dash to a stable state where, if watched, the wound would heal with a big scar but she would make a full recovery. At least that’s what Celendros said, but in his heart he knew he couldn’t make any guarantees.

With a heavy sigh the shaman looked to the group who were all doing nothing smiling at him before they all rushed over to give him a group hug as thanks. As uncomfortable that made him... deep down inside he enjoyed it. “I... thank you. But this can never happen again. Too many have already died under my watch.”

The five got off him and looked at their human friend strangely.

“There have been... others?” Twilight asked while she took a seat next to him.

“There’ve been many, companions, friends, even family. By now its happened so much that it doesn’t even bother me anymore... and that scares me.”

“I... oh...” the purple mare said once she understood what he meant.

“Listen, Twilight. A lot has happened in my past that I regret and wish never happened. But don’t let my inner demons make you feel anything but happy thoughts. Know why?” Cel told her while he scooted a bit closer.

Twilight shook her head, not fully understanding what her friend meant.

“Because i’m still alive and fighting, and I wont stop until the fight has been kicked out of me.” the shaman gave her a warm smile for the first time in... ever. At that moment he realized that he actually had a real friend. One that he could confide in, talk to, and even share secrets with. Celendros had forgotten what that felt like... pretty damn good.

After everypony, including their human companion, decided it would be best to rest a day so their friend could heal, they made a campfire and sat around it. By now the sun was beginning to set in the sky after Celestia cast her magic that made it do so. So Celendros offered to tell stories.

“How about... I tell you the story of the first bar fight I ever got into?” he suggested.

“Ohhh that sounds fun!” Pinkie let out while bouncing up and down.

Everyone else agreed that it could be an interesting little story.

“Alright... but be warned, this could get a little graphic.” Cel warned.


The sun had set on Socobeck for the day, it was time for all the shops to close, for people to head home, for adventurers to set up camp, for partygoers to drink...

Curfew had been set for the night and any who did not have a pass to allow their roaming, they would be sent to jail for the night without food or water. No exceptions. This was shortly after Gavun’s seizure of the throne, before all the real crazy set in.

I had just got my pass from the guard’s office and made my way to the nearest tavern. Me and a few friends had just made it to Shadus from a long trip up North. They parted ways with me and I just needed a place to unwind a bit so a tavern seemed like a good idea.

Now I walk in and notice the place is quiet, but I hear some commotion toward the right section of the room. I look over and find this little guy being berated by a couple of off duty guards. At the time I decided to ignore it and let the on-duty guards do their job. Surely the barkeep would’ve sent them a message.

So I found myself a seat and got comfortable, ordered my drink, and tried to enjoy it as best I could.

But boy did they start to get loud... I looked back and barked at them to stop. They must’ve ignored me or just didn’t hear my voice over all the yelling. So naturally I was a bit disgruntled but I just said “Forget it” and went back to my drink.

After a few minutes of getting a little bit tipsy, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I knew who it was because the yelling stopped, so I glanced over my shoulder to find a couple of larger fellows, about my size but definitely more stocky.

This next part went pretty quickly, he said something about minding my own business before he tried to hit me in the back of my head. Being the expert I am in the way of combat, I saw it coming and moved my head. His fist slammed into the tabletop and I swear I heard a pop when he did so. The guy reeled back saying all sorts of nasty things while holding his hand.

The other one attempted to punch me in the face so I spun around and caught the arm, grabbed him in the back of the head and WHAM, smashed his teeth directly into the edge of the bar! Chunks of them went flying everywhere and after I got up and pushed his arm up above him like a lever until it popped. Naturally he screamed but his partner was still there so I quickly turned and kicked him in the neck.

To which I paid my due and walked out before any more guards came to arrest me, I headed to the nearest place I could find shelter and slept for the night. And that, is how I learned to mind my own damn business.


“That was... interesting.” Twilight said, not sure how to feel about the story.

“How... barbaric.” Rarity commented while showing a look of disgust.

“Well ah-” Applejack tried to say before she was cut off.

“Fine, I wont tell stories anymore cause those are the only ones I have that don’t involve death, slaves, or some form of pain.” Celendros said before he got up and stormed off in frustration.

“But Cel-!” Twilight let out before she got up and tried to catch up.

“I don’t want to hear it, damn it!” the angry shaman barked back. He’d been under much stress for a long time, what with his family being dead, his friend almost dying, and constantly being under pressure to save two planets.

“Twi, I think he jus’ needs some time.” Applejack tried to comfort Twilight by putting a hoof on his shoulder.

“I just... don’t understand why he’s so angry all the time.” the purple mare stopped to think for a moment. “I’m going to talk to him.”

“But Twilight...” Applejack said while sounding a bit unsure.

“Not this time Applejack.” Twilight confidently told her friend before trotting over to where Cel went. As she got closer she heard a sniffing noise come from where he was sitting. “Cel...?” she quietly let out.

Celendros quickly wiped his face before turned to her and saying “What?” rather bluntly.

“I... wanted to talk to you what happened back at the library. I think you’re holding things back.” she told him as she sat down next to him.

“I’m no-...” Cel stopped to think for a moment, about what he realized earlier, but he wasn’t sure if Twilight could handle it. “I am but, to be honest, i’m not telling you things because I don’t think you could handle it if I did.”

“I’m sure whatever you tell me I-”

“Gavun had my sister and nephew assassinated,” the shaman blurted out.

Twilight just sat there with her mouth agape. Hearing this made her scared, sad, and a little bit curious. It was painfully obvious.

“I really need some time to think. Go get some sleep, i’ll keep watch over Rainbow Dash.” Celendros advised to her.

“...okay.” Twilight said and slowly made her way back to the camp, head low to the ground and ears against her head.

Cel sighed and layed on his back. The cold sand helped quite a bit with soothing the aftereffects of his heatstroke. But didn’t soothe the pent up emotions inside. He needed to hit something, badly.

So the shaman stood up and started walking, he didn’t care where.

After a few hours of walking and thinking, he heard a noise, like the sand began to shift below his feet. Before Cel could do anything the ground collapsed from under him and the sand consumed him.

Celendros struggled to get out of the giant pile of sand, but eventually he made it out before suffocating. “By the great mother...” he let out in between gasps as he notices the glow of... “The shard!” the shamans exclaims.

Cel rushed out of the sand and toward the shard that was resting next to a rather... decorated chest. “Wait wait wait... it’s never this easy...” at that moment he heard a noise. Like a whisper in his ear, though what it said was impossible to tell. Before the shaman could do anything something slammed him in the back and sent him barreling forward and into the stone wall ahead.

When Celendros looked up he saw a mirror image of himself... the only difference was that it had an ominous dark energy surrounding it. He takes note of the rather full beard the image had and comments “I really need to shave...” before the image charged at him, a copy of his axe raised in the air.

Cel held his arm out and the shard was launched toward his hand by the stone below it. he caught the shard in his hand and immediately the bright blue energy slid up his arm and up into the burn marks on his face that began to glow immediately.

With a totally lucky guess the shaman lept up and over the image, the air around him assisting him. Man, this was a feeling he missed dearly. The shaman landed on the ground and grabbed the chest, he spun around and smacked the image in the face with it before bolting in the opposite direction.

Having faced one before, Celendros knew mirror images could not be defeated but only quelled. Luckily he had the tools to do so. He jumped up and through the hole in the ground and flipped, mid-flip he used the earth to make the sand fill in the hole. To which the mirror image would be trapped forever under the sand.

Once he hit the ground, Cel fell over on to his back and dropped the chest. He was a little out of practice in using the air to send him soaring through the sky like a bird... a bird that has to land every few seconds.

Celendros stood up and stretched, completely forgetting how cold it was outside by now. So he quickly grabbed the chest and opened it. To which his face went completely into shock when he found what was inside. Plated bracers with the ornamental design of a wolf on them. How were they even there? There was no way a pony could’ve crafted bracers such as those... so who did?

It didn’t matter at the time. Cel just put them on and got to work, going through simple training procedures on how to use them, it was a mandatory thing for a shaman to know. But this shaman hasn’t worn these in years. He knew it was going to take all night, but if he could pull these off. It will be quite worth it.


Morning came and the desert was already beginning to get hot again. Celendros decided by then to hurry back to the camp him and his friends had created. It was difficult to tell which direction it was in, but eventually he remembered that it was west and the sun rose in the west. So the camp must be west. At least he thought...

The new bracers were a strange added weight to his hands, but it wasn’t too difficult for the shaman to adjust. It would take up more energy for him to hit things, but it would add extra power to each hit. As well as enabling him to completely block most swords and axes, perhaps small maces but that was a long shot. Seeing as how they were designed to break and dent armor.

“I really hope they weren’t too worried about my departure...” Cel said to himself while he adjusted the bracers on his wrists to make them a bit more snug.

After a few minutes of walking, the heat began to start getting to him again, but this time he was able to use the air around him to help keep body temperature at least at a steady ninety nine or so.

But even with the use of air, it was still hot... really hot. Right then Celendros really wished he had water. Of course, he knew that was all back at the camp... which did remind him that he’d lost track of where he was going about five minutes ago.

So this time instead of using old fashioned ways of navigation, Cel was going to use an ancient shamanistic technique that can locate vegetation. He would’ve thought about it when they were looking for water, but he was a bit too desperate to think clearly.

The shaman got down on his knees and buried his hands into the burning hot sand, luckily the gloves he was wearing helped with keeping them from actually getting burnt. Then, the human bent down and put his forehead to the sand.

Celendros got to work, through the sand he could search out in different and just barely feel things. He was taught when searching for plants, search for water, and water feels cold in the hot sand. So the shaman tried to feel for something cold, after going through many different things that were either squishy, rough, or even slimey, he felt something cool and wet. That must’ve been the oasis.

Cel stood back up and felt really dizzy and his vision was bright and slightly blurred. These were usual side effects of that trick since it puts a lot of stress on the mind. Once the shaman got his bearings on where he needed to go, he set off to the oasis.

...

When he got there, Celendros nearly fell over at what he saw. Four armed men... and their leader was that same guy who he first encountered when he got here. “That bastard.” the shaman said while his axe handle slid through his hand to the end after he removed it from its latch.

But after Cel saw what the leader was doing to them, he went wide eyed and his face slowly descended to a look of rage.

The leader of the bandits was interrogating his friends to find out where the shaman was.

Celendros wasn’t going to disappoint.

Author's Note:

Sorry for any grammar errors you might find, I kind of rushed this out because i haven't done anything in months and thought you guys deserved at least something.

Comments ( 3 )

WOOHOO ACTION

4689307 WOOO stuff happening! :pinkiecrazy:

Yeah, I saw quite a few instances of sloppy grammar and spelling, including the instance in the AN of you forgetting to capitalize an i.

Login or register to comment