• Published 14th Feb 2013
  • 7,545 Views, 301 Comments

A Lampent's Lament in Equestria - Iridescence T Wind



I was never the most well liked pokemon around town, being unable to talk more then your species name dosen't help explain that your here to collect souls to send them to a better place either. Did not know it would result in my death again thou

  • ...
18
 301
 7,545

I am Lampent?

“Just because you didn't put a name to something did not mean it wasn't there.”

― Jodi Picoult, Handle With Care

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

"Um... I asked for your name, you already listed what your species is..."

"My name is Lampent." Lampent stated again.

“What's your name," Twilight asked the Lampent. "Look, I'm Twilight Sparkle. Okay?"

"Pokemon don't have names, only nicknames from the trainer that caught it occasionally." Said Lampent.

"No Names?" said Twilight

'No,' said the Lampent. 'Now you ponies have names. That's because you don't know who you are. I know who I am, so I don't need a name.”

"But what would I call you if you and another Lampent were in this room."

"..."

"See?" Twilight stated putting a hoof down to emphasize her statement, "What do I and other ponies call you then?"

Lampent thought, If he was to have a name, he would want one that had a meaning and fitted. He discarded a series of names including Tamashii and Signal Lamp. He drew in a deep huff of air increasing his flame for a second before it returned to normal size. He wanted a name that defined him. His job was to collect the souls of those near death to send them for judgment; he was also a guide in that respect that he directed them towards Lord Arceus. Like a light, he realized.

Mentally he spoke aloud again his voice completely serious, "If a name is what you want to call me by, I would like to be called.... Soul Light... Ms.Sparkle."

Lampent sighed, tension in his metallic limbs dropping as he said those two words, Twilight smiled, relaxing from an offensive stance she had let herself fall into whenever she argued with somepony, "Well nice to meet you Soul Light."

Lampent shivered at being called his new name his serious demeanor fell apart around him and worriedly he looked around, "T-Thanks... M-Ms. Sparkle..."

"Please just call me Twilight, all my friends do."

"F-Friends? What’s a friend?"

Twilight looked at Soul Light as if he had the word idiot written in big bold letters on his hat. "You’re kidding, right?"

"Sadly not." Soul Light stated, feeling rather awkward at Twilights stare.

Twilight took in a deep breath, causing Spike to wince and he waddled away back up the stairs to escape the torrent of words that would arrive with rapid pace, Friends are those ponies outside of family that you enjoy and spend time with to form bonds that you can talk to about innermost feelings and receive the same back. Don't you have anypony like that?"

Soul stopped and considered, "Not really...My job was not the most accepted one in the community I came from, and I was highly misunderstood there."

"What was it?" Twilight inquired the reek of curiosity thick in her voice deciding to get to know Soul Light better.

"I'd rather not say." Stated soul stressing the words into a serious monotone.

"It can't be that bad."

"I'd rather not say." he stated again.

"Fine, if your 'job' is off limits, what about your hobbies?"

"Never had time for one."

"What do you do in your free time then?"

"Rarely had free time until now, usually just looked up at the night sky and pondered various things."

"Like what kind of things?"

"Like what it feels like to be alive."

Twilight stopped her stampede of questions looking at Soul Light in shock, "you’re not alive? But you’re talking to me right here."

"I am a ghost and fire type pokemon known as a Lampent," Soul Light stated boredly, "As such I already died once at least. While I do not have most bodily needs I still need to eat and drink to live."

"How do you eat and drink without a mouth?"

"Got a cup of juice and a berry?"

"Not on me, but I have some in the kitchen..."

A few minutes later Soul light found himself showing Twilight how he ate, while he simply yet impossibly pushed the berry through the glass frame holding his soul the berry vanishing into it; twilight was taking notes fervently to his discomfort, "Are those notes really necessary?"

"Huh?"

"Those notes... do you really need to take those on me..."

"Oh, sorry does it bother you? I’m a student of Princess Celestia so I'm rather used to writing a lot of notes on something new."

"You mean you have never seen a Pokemon before?"

"That’s another question I have, what exactly is a pokemon?"

"It's a type of creature, where I’m from there are three kinds of creatures, your basic animal, which is rare and hard to come by so far only livestock still exist I think. Others no longer exist but rather went extinct since before Kabutops, a dinosaur pokemon, came around. Humans, which were the dominate race where I came from, who enslaved the third race with small mechanical balls called Pokeballs. The final type was Pokemon, or creatures capable of extraordinary feats and abilities. I think your companion who was hiding from you looked like a deformed purple version of a fire type lizard known as a Charmander."

"What Spike? He’s just a baby dragon. Not a Pokemon."

"He is a dragon type pokemon?"

"No. Just a baby dragon...."

"Oh... What about that green thing attached to your tail?"

"What green thing attached to my ta-" Twilight began while turning her head to look at her tail. Sure enough a small green alligator was stuck to her tail gumming on it, "Oh... That's Gummy, Pinkies pet... wait. If gummy is here, that means..."

"SURPRISE!” shouted a bright pink pony causing soul light and twilight to fall out of their chairs backwards in respective startled motions.

"Pinkie p-" Twilight began before being interrupted by the extremely hyper bright pony, "Hey Twilight, who you hiding, my pinkie-senses told me there’s another new pony here who I haven't seen before! which is odd since you’re the only pony in this house, I found it odd that you were holding a one way conversation with a lamp that was glowing, though you should of seen mine and Gummy's faces when it moved to eat that berry! It was almost as surprising as when Princess Luna came out of that Nightmare moon meanie after we blasted her with a rainbow!" Pinkie pie shot off more words picking up speed.

In the meantime while Twilight after being drowned out by her friend finally shouted at the top of her lungs, "PINKIE PIE!"

The bright pink pony went quiet instantly and turned to stare at twilight and asked, "Yes Twilight?"

"First, there isn't a new 'pony' so to say," Twilight stopped pinkie from interrupting her with a hoof to the mouth before starting again, "Because he isn’t a pony but a Lampent."

"Ohhh, what’s a lampent?"

"Well why don't you see for yourself, you scared the colt, err guy witless I think with that surprise."

Soul Light gave Twilight and pinkie a small wave from his knocked over position on the floor, "Don't mind me, Luckily I can't be scared to death otherwise I think I would of had a heart attack from that, funnily enough I don’t have a vital organ called that."

Soul Light got up only to be knocked down again as Pinkie Pie tackled him over pinning him down and bringing her face uncomfortably close to his own, "Ooh who are you? What’s your name? I'm Pinkie pie, though you look like a lamp, or a messenger, is your name Messenger Lamp? That would be so cool!"

"Uh... no?"
"Aw how about Gregory or Alonso! I always wanted to say Allons-y Alonso to somepony or somelamp, Ooo or better yet is your name all dark and mysterious like black glow or night shimmer? That would be so cool!"

"No... My name is Sou-" Soul Light was interrupted again by the over enthusiastic mare that was slowly crushing him with her eagerness.

"Souji? Sanji? Soul world? Souja boy!"

"-l...Light..." he finished

"Soul Light? Cool! Well I’m off to go get your Welcome-to-Ponyville party ready! See you in ten minutes flat!"

Gradually Soul Light recollected his scattered thoughts, "What the heck was that?"

Twilight snickered, "That, Soul, was Pinkie Pie, Ponyvilles resident party pony; and she’s going to throw together a party for you in welcome. It’s a local thing; all ponies were given a party by Pinkie when they came here. Looks like you're no exception."

Author's Note:

This was fun to write haha. Open for a vote on how this party should go or if you want to be in the party. Since these ponies have welcomed a Zecora after being terrified of her; and ran for their lives or fainted from a Bunny stampede.