• Published 14th Feb 2013
  • 7,547 Views, 301 Comments

A Lampent's Lament in Equestria - Iridescence T Wind



I was never the most well liked pokemon around town, being unable to talk more then your species name dosen't help explain that your here to collect souls to send them to a better place either. Did not know it would result in my death again thou

  • ...
18
 301
 7,547

Chapter 15: A hearths warming Visit (Part 1)

"I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

After the incident with the Revolutionaries resolved; the now-sober Berry punch had apologized for her crazy behavior in a completely different tone of voice. Where the drunken Berry Punch was a lunatic when drunk, the sober version was more formal than some of the stricter than Soul thought possible. For one, Berry had secretary glasses she would pull out whenever she had to read something and her demeanor had went from a playful drunkard to a stereotypical assistant. Never the less she joined the Homestead setting up shop as far away from Red and Steven as possible in the clearing in front of the restored castle.

Red Wood and Applejack had gotten closer than ever, enough that even Rarity had begun to gossip about a possible relationship between the two. They would often disappear at the same time after completing their work often seen talking to each other. At one point Soul had seen Red wood sneak off to hang out under the moon light (not that he told any-pony about these midnight excursions). Everypony also seemed to take extraordinary measures to not mention this to the only occupants who seemed unaware of their knowledge. So far Spike, Granny smith, and the Cutie mark crusaders(Whom he had yet to meet the later two) were the only ones who didn't know.

Where love flourished between Red Wood and Applejack, Steven Magnet and Rarity were at odds. The two fashion Divas, after meeting each other again had struck up a several week argument over a hair bows color. It wasn't until the two had settled on a third color that was a mix between the two that they were able to move back onto important things like eating and sleeping. Or making another dress. Hearths warming (or Christmas as the humans had called it in their world), was coming and with it the pony equivalent of Santa or saint nick in its likely hood. Soul had a problem, a big problem he had been trying to solve for a while now. What to get everypony for Hearths warming.

Pinkie pie was easy enough, Soul had purchased a small oven for the party pony, having heard a while ago that pinkie wanted her own stove separate from the Cake family she lived with. Fluttershy had also been easy to figure out, having already selected a few different brushes normally owned by Pegasus types for taking care of their wings. Rainbow Dash in contrast would get a pair of goggles fashioned in the likeness of the Wonderbolts. For Spike and Rarity he had acquired a few heart rubies which were being sold for cheap with the increase of prices for food, the rest of the market had dropped dramatically. Even Applejack had been easy to figure out, the heavy metal horseshoes that were used by the farm pony was worn out and Soul had paid for a new set and wrapped all the presents himself. Which left him with the one he had been plaguing himself with; Twilights gift.

What would Twilight want or need? She already had all the books she could ever want, for goodness sake she worked in a library! Besides her books Soul wasn't sure what Twilight liked that was material. Soul had three options here; Guess, ask somepony else, or give up. Souls wandering throughout the Snow covered Ponyville suddenly changed course towards Rarity's store. Surely she would know the best gift to get the magical prodigy.

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

Meowth sniffed, the cave the lions had provided for him all that time back wasn't as well insulated or able to keep in the heat as he had thought. With winter nearing its peak, he and the others had to spend less time planning their devious and brilliant plans and more time huddled up in a corner with a pile of blankets and the food for the winter. The fire was hardly providing enough heat and Arbok was taking the worst of the situation due to being cold blooded. Evident as the snake was inches from the fire and still sneezing and shivering as if he was a human in ice water. Wheezing had retreated into his pokeball, the weather making it impossible for him to stay afloat for long periods of time. The only one who was comfortable with the ice and cold was the resident ghost Pokémon among them, Yamask.

Meowth glared at the cheerful ghost as it messed with the icicles that had formed from his and Arboks snot that was frozen solid into somewhat greenish but mostly blue spikes. Watching the ghost Pokémon mock joust with frozen snot lances and using its mask as a shield was only entertaining for so long. Every Pokémon here already knew that there was no Christmas here so there was nothing but the start of spring to look forward to. Something that irked the cat like Pokémon to no end. The only thing that Irked him more was the hibernation of the Lion mafia that had halted all productivity for him. Winter was such an unnecessary set back. Meowth sneezed, he must be coming down with a cold as well.

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

Cold... It was cold. A young filly struggled through the snow filled woods of white tail with no place to go, and no place to return.

Weakened with time throughout winter with no shelter or place to call home, cursed was she without family or friend. All because she was different from the rest. Just because she was blind and half Windigo she had been treated miserably. Unable to see she couldn't tell where she was going beyond escaping the horrible place she had been raised from, a orphanage of the cruelest type located on the northern equestrian border. Forced to survive on grass and what water she ran into. Her wintery blue coat long since covered in frozen snow and ice as she stumbled by. Her mane was semi transparent dark blue, turned frozen white by the cold though still identifiable as nearly the same substance the full grown Windigos had. She couldn't be older than seven and yet she was here, alone, climbing through the woods in search of shelter.

"So... cold..." the half frozen filly whispered, her strength failing her before she collapsed into the snow, halfway across a small forest clearing. She groaned, trying to get up. Begging her legs to go once more before giving up, what was the point? It was not like she had anyplace to go. Or any reason to live... She shut her unseeing eyes and fell asleep. Death was not so unpleasant anymore. Was it?

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

Elsewhere Soul halted in his progress, he could feel the familiar presence of one who was close to deaths door. His job was calling, and this time it was a pony. The first one he had experienced. He had just left Rarity's boutique, a bag with some bows in a metal limb. He had purchased them for Lily and Rose for Hearths warming, an Idea that Rarity had given him not five minutes before to get for a gift. While the bow wasn't the only thing he had gotten from her (The other being a fantastic cloth bookmark, seeing as it was time Twilight got rid of the unfortunate paper one that was wrecked apparently beyond restoration. While the bag was bigger than he was(Due to the usual size of orders the fashion loving mare had), it was light. All of this detail flew out the window as Soul went towards the fading light of life that was outside of town.

It took ten minutes to enter the same woods as the unfortunate filly and five to find her. Soul brushed away some snow off a small mound of snow sighing sadly as the top of the mane was revealed. Setting the bag of gifts aside he used both metal limbs to pull out the pony, suspecting a much larger size but surprised when it was just a youngling smaller than he was. What was a child doing out here? Soul pondered that noticing that the small foal was still breathing. Her soul upon closer study was almost the same as his when he had died. Much too young to have such a fate befall on her. Soul paused, his job was to deliver the fallen souls to his lord Arceus. Yet this child, who was breathing faintly, was due to deaths door without even the minimum age for a proper send away to judgment. The Parasprites he had killed were another matter due to reaching maturity on birth. This filly was not even in her preteens. He knew the offer Arceus would give her, maybe she could be saved instead.

Soul picked the freezing unconscious filly up, a look of pain momentarily crossing her face as Soul placed the frozen heap into his bag nearby and flew off to the castle. His flame had begun emitting heat in a attempt to warm the air around him and the bag as he flew, he could only guess by the slight increase in the young mares Soul that it was working for some part. He rushed, begging mentally to Dialga that he wouldn't be too late to save the filly from the fate that was before her. The castle was in sight.

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

The Fantastic Revolution were happy, their shipment for a Cloud cake had finally came in, after three tries with each shipment ending up smashed by an postal accident on several accounts they had finally were able to start the next stage of their plan. Marching the cake back towards home their youngest member, a young white with brown spot earth pony named Pip cheered, "Huzzah! We finally have the cake to take down Celestia don't we boss?"

"Yes Pip, yes we do, with this cake we will take her down!" Their leader stated with a smug grin.

One of his comrades stated still ponderous over the large cake that their leader was carrying, "It is interesting ... how weapons reflect the soul of the maker. Right boss? Like this cake was made specifically for our fight against this injustice. I mean look how heavy it is, one could say this wasn't even made of clouds."

"Now that you mention it..." A Pegasus of the bright yellow variety began, "This cake isn't very cloud like..."

"Nonsense," Their leader began, "This cake was paid to a very trusted maker of the delicacy."

"I don't think a bright red pony wearing a black overcoat in a dark alleyway is a 'Very trusted' source boss." Their Pegasus comrade shot back.

"As I said, very trusted. Just take a look at this cake." Their leader flapped his wings annoyed, lifting the cake above his head for all to see, "Cloud... Cake."

Not five seconds later a black lamp flaring with all the heat it could raced by, the cloud cake, actually well decorated snow, melting within seconds as the frantic lamp raced by. Drenching their leader in liquid slush and the dried glue that was used for fake frosting. The leader spit out a mouthful of slush and stated in a tone that beckoned no argument from the smug Pegasus near him, "Okay, maybe your right about it. Now that we know it is fake. Lets get our bits back from that fraud."

He looked to Pip stating lowly, "Bring out the secret weapon! Time to make that fake pay!"

Pip pulled out a extraordinarily large feather from under his vest. There was a tickle torture to be done, and it was going to be done tonight.

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

Soul was in a hurry, while he wanted to pause and say sorry to the ponies he had just passed, he hadn't the time. Raising his elevation he flew over the trees before arcing to the door to the Homestead castle. He barely paused to yank open the door and shut it behind him as he entered and all but rushed up the doors to the restored guest room. quickly yet gently he pulled the filly out of the bag, drying her with a towel rushed from the nearest bathroom while his flame focused on the bed, making it toasty warm rather than cold. Quietly he tucked the filly in before rushing out yet again, he would need to feed her something hot. At least that was what he had read somewhere before. Mentally he shouted a message for the nearest being, Lily fortunately to hear while he rushed to heat up some soup that was stored in one of the many jars from when the kitchen was restocked. It might of been how close he was or the sense of urgency in Souls' tone, but Lily was in the same room as him within minutes.

[What is it b-] Lily began before getting interrupted by the furiously working Lamp.

[Brought a half frozen filly home, she needs medical attention,] Soul began, juggling cooking with writing something on a napkin nearby before all but throwing it at Lily, [Take this letter and deliver it to Twilight Sparkle as fast as possible, or it might be too late.]

Lily nodded and took up the letter with the clanking of wood on stone rapidly retreating as Soul refocused purely on cooking. He had to save this filly, he didn't know why he cared so much. After all his job was to reap those who were near death and send them to Arceus for judgment. He knew she would be given the option to be revived as a Litwick in another world if she agreed to work for Arceus instead of going on to the better or worse places. So why did he care so much? Then it struck him, she reminded him of himself. Just having gained life outside the egg (or Womb as it be for the filly) and old enough to understand before being sentenced to death by outside forces. Soul redoubled his efforts unaware of Those who were watching him from above.

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

Giratina was curious, Soul had refused to take the soul of someone near death. The action was not understood to him. Not one Ghost Pokémon under his and Arceus employment had done this. Not a Dusknoir, Dusclops, Shedninja, Litwick, Chandelure, or Lampent. Yet Soul was the first. Such an action went against their job description. He could see why Soul did it, to be sure. Having known soul throughout the younglings entire life. But the action itself was unusual for the reaper of the dead that they had employed to the equestrian world. Maybe he was growing soft, or rebelling. Giratina wasn't sure. He turned to his father, Arceus for advice.

Arceus was a lot less stressed since Pidgey slapping day had become a national Holiday. The spike in Pidgey deaths to eating habits had died down exponentially since it was announced by the annoyed creator of the Pokémon universe and now he could perform his lesser known duties in peace. With winter around the death count had lowered further for the god as Pokémon went into hibernation. His peace was disturbed as Giratina chirped something to him. Sighing he opened his eyes for the first time in three days, "What is it Giratina."

"Just wanted to ask you what to do with Soul sir. He is attempting to save a pony from death though his job was to collect those who are near it." Giratina nudged the orb he was looking into Arceus which had both a video of Soul and of the pony in question.

Arceus studied it for a moment. Staring at the data before him, "She is young to die, just like he was. I presume he is trying to save her either the same fate he has or the eternal rest beyond. Commendable effort but from her status she wouldn't survive for much longer anyway. Even their best doctors wouldn't be able to save her."

Arceus stood up to stretch, "Their version of the Christmas holiday is coming up. Hearths warming I believe. This time I will deliver that world a present instead of sending a Delibird to Soul instead. I solve the issue personally as well."

Giratina nodded, returning back to checking up on all of his workers. A tendril prodding a button on some of the various orbs that were showing live views of the workers beyond. Arceus was about to leave when Giratina interrupted, "New one waiting my Lord."

"Send them in. I have time for one more Judgment before I get ready to go."

With a audible pop and the usual burst of cosmic dust, the souls of a Sparrow and a Caterpie appeared. Once they gained their bearing Arceus asked quite plainly as he had done before countless times, "How did you two die?"

[Well sir,] The sparrow chirped, [I choked on this Caterpie]

Arceus and Giratina face-clawed, It was starting again.

---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---∞∞∞---

Author's Note:

Well the spell checker now in this thing is nice, saved me time editing this chapter. Though I am personally not pleased with my own work (As always) It was about time I got done writing this. Posted as the best version of three different stories. Removing the filler dialogue between Soul and Rarity that got boring... Rather fast... was the best Options I think. If it bugs you guys enough I will stab a needle and thread into this and force that particular conversation back in.