• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,058 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,058

Trapped In His Icy Grip

"Where am I?" Freeze said aloud as he looked around a room, not sure how he got here. The room was completely empty, save for some rafters above him, but it was almost impossible to see without his goggles to aid him. But as he looked around, he wasn't sure if this was real and he sent a blast of ice straight ahead, frowning as he saw the ice vanish into nothingness. "This must be a dream or another illusion of sorts, since my readings are picking up nothing on them. This is not real." Freeze had been focusing on the scanner, so he never saw the object that was flung at him until it had hit him in the back of the glass helmet, causing him to look around.

"You never change Freeze. You lived in a world with aliens, super beings and dimensional travel, yet whenever something doesn't fit to your science or your own little reality you don't believe it to be real. How stubborn can one man be?" Freeze narrowed his eyes as he looked around the room, his heat sensors picking nothing up yet Freeze knew of only two men who could avoid his scanners so well. "How long are you going to chase after your wife, who has long since passed onto a better life beyond this world? When will you let her rest?"

"And when will you realize that no matter how hard you fight or how many criminals you stop, your city will never be free...Batman," Freeze replied as he turned around to see a dark outline of the bat, only able to see the Dark Knight's white eyes as everything else was cloaked in shadow. The knight said nothing, but he narrowed his eyes at Freeze in a way that Freeze had seen all too many times before. "You know that it is a futile battle. How many foes have you and your Justice League defeated, only to have those same criminals come back to fight you again? Why do you keep doing it?"

"Because my actions are just," Batman said before he lunged at Freeze, placing both boots into his chest and kicking the ice man down to the ground, where Freeze rolled up to his knees and pointed his arms out, only to find Batman was gone again. "I fight the forces of evil every night, saving countless lives despite the cost to me or the city. That is what allows me to keep fighting every night. But what about you, what keeps you going Freeze?"

"You know that all too well," Freeze replied coldly as he began to fire blasts of ice into the rafters, the only place where the bat could be hiding. "I continue fight so that Nora can live, so that she could be free from that curse that afflicts her! And as I told you when we first met, I will kill anyone who tries to get in my way!"

"The curse that afflicts her? Freeze, she's gone. But you can't accept that. You can't accept that she was happy without you, can you?" Batman asked as he kicked Freeze in the back, Freeze spinning around to find that he was gone into the darkness once again. "How many have you killed so that you can be with your wife again, even when she had the courage to move on? Is that how you think, that if you complete the cure everything will go back to normal? And do you truly want her to live so she can be free? Or do you want her back because you want to be happy yourself?"

"Your tricks will not work on me," Freeze said coldly as he spun and fired a blast of ice, catching the bat in the shoulder and sending him spinning off into the darkness. "I live for her. Only her."

"And what about all the people you killed, the families you ripped apart because you your selfish goal?" Batman asked as an exploding batarang hit Freeze in the leg, dropping Freeze to the ground. Batman leapt onto his chest and punched a hole straight through his glass, stunning Freeze. "In trying to save your wife from death, you subjected other families to the same pain you feel. How can you live with yourself?"

"I do not live for myself. I live for Nora," Freeze said with no emotion. Batman shook his head and brought his fist back before a silver light shown in the emptiness, causing the Batman to vanish as Freeze shielded his eyes, with Batman speaking one last time.

"She moved on Freeze. Why won't you?"

|\/|
|/\|

Freeze groaned to himself as he lifted his head off of the table that it rested upon, blinking twice as he looked around the room to see that he was within the lab once again. He froze a bit of the table below him so he could see his reflection, noticing that his helmet was perfectly fine.

'Another dream, though this once was a bit different than the ones that I usually have,' Freeze thought to himself as he stood up, walking over to where Cadence was sleeping to check on her condition before he looked up to see the silver mare standing at the door before she turned and moved. Freeze followed her into the throne room, where she was looking at the throne. "Care to tell me why you are back?"

'Because I am not sure what to do with you,' the silver pony said as she looked to him. 'You do evil things, yet you have not an evil heart. You talk as if you care nothing for these ponies, yet then you save Cadence by choice. Who are you Victor Fries?'

"Who I am does not matter. I am whatever I need to be to save Nora," Freeze said, though for half a second the mare could swear that Freeze seemed confused by his own words. But then his expression hardened and he pointed one arm at her. "But what I want right now is you out of this palace." The silver mare gave no notion that she was going to leave, but then she seemed startled by something and turned her head.

'Another one?' Freeze heard her mutter. 'But how could a regular human...I will leave for now Fries, but I will be back. I promise.' Freeze said nothing as she vanished, but he did think about what she had said to him for a moment. Who was he? That thought was struck from his mind as the ground shook beneath him as something struck the palace, Freeze spinning around to see that the doors had been knocked off and Shining Armor, as well as the other ponies, were now back in the palace.

"Where is she?" Shining said in a very dangerous voice that Freeze had remembered using sometimes when he was angry. "Where is Cadence? No lies, no bull. Where?" Freeze said nothing for a moment as he looked at the enraged pony, before he moved to the side to allow Shining to head to the lab.

"She is...how you say...resting in peace." Freeze saw the fear in the pony’s eyes before Shining sprinted past him, leaving the other ponies to glare at Freeze as he turned back to them. "I should put a sign up so that you know to keep out, since it seems that you do not know how to listen."

"You're a monster," Celestia said to him as she trembled with rage, the other ponies giving him equally enraged looks. "You let a pregnant mother die when you could save her all along. I swear to you Freeze, you will pay for this." Freeze said nothing in reply, but his answer came a moment later when Shining came back out of the lab, tears rolling down his face.

"Shining," Twilight said gently as she ran over to him, hugging him tightly. "I'm so sorry." But to Twilight's surprise, Shining didn't grieve or attack Freeze like he said he would, but just stared at him dumbfounded.

"Why?" he eventually asked, Freeze turning slightly to look at the pony. "Why did you give her the cure?" All of the ponies gasped as he said this and looked to Freeze, but when he gave them the same cold stare he always did they looked back to Shining for answers. "She's still alive," he said to them. "She says that she still feels weak, but she's no longer in pain. Why did you-?"

"The important question now isn't why I did it, but rather what will you do now?" he asked them, confusing them once again. "I held up my end of the bargain and saved Cadence, yet you have not found the flower for me. So now I ask, what will you give to me in exchange for my services?" The ponies all began to look at each other as they still tried to comprehend what had just happened, when Cadence came out of the room from the lab and Shining ran over to her to hold her up.

"Cadence, what are you doing out of bed?" he asked her as she leaned against him, her eyes showing that she was out of it.

"I feel a bit weird," she said, Freeze walking over and looking into her eyes despite Shining's protests.

"While my serum has cured you of your aliment, you will still not be at one hundred percent for at least three weeks. I would recommend resting in a hospital for that time," Freeze said. Shining nodded and went to take her to the hospital, but then Freeze stop him again by clearing his throat. "Not you, Shining. you're staying here."

"And just why would I do that?" he snarled back at Freeze.

"Because that's my new condition," Freeze said coldly as he approached the ponies his suit giving off a mist that told them his freeze rays were starting up. "I have decided that you will stay with me, so that I can learn of your culture and have a pony on hand to assist me if needed. Also, I need a new hostage as that guard cannot withstand much more of my ice. You may take him when you leave, but you stay."

"You can't force me to," Shining said with defiance, but then Freeze's helmet seemed to get darker and he pointed his arm right at Shining's head.

"Then maybe I should ask for something a bit more fair," he said in a tone far more dangerous than the one Shining had given him a few minutes ago. "A life for a life." The ponies all prepared to fight him as he raised his other arm, Shining debating what to do since his wife would get caught in the crossfire, but before anything could start a small voice spoke out.

"I'll...I'll stay here." The ponies all parted to the side to show the yellow Pegasus with the pink mane, who was barely able to look directly at Freeze. Nevertheless, she had been the one to speak those words and that strange fact was enough to get Freeze to lower his arms to the side.

"You?" he asked in disbelief, but her friends asked all the questions he was about to.

"Fluttershy, what are you thinking?" Twilight whispered to her, Fluttershy giving her friend a smile before giving her a quick hug.

"This is the only way nopony will get hurt," she said quietly. "Besides, Shining needs to be besides Cadence, to take care of her. I can be Freeze's hostage in his place.

"Oh no you won't," Rainbow Dash said as she stepped forward. "I'll do it instead. It'll be fun fighting a snowman." The other ponies began to speak along similar lines, each of them willing to be the one who stayed with Freeze, but he watched each of their reactions and faces before he decided on which one would be best.

"No, I will take Fluttershy instead," he said to silence them, all of them looking at him with either confusion or rage. "Out of all of you, she seems to be the one to cause the least amount of trouble. Or if you disagree, we could go back to a life for a life?" When none of the ponies said anything, he nodded before pointing his arm at the door. "Now all of you except for Fluttershy out, or I will start freezing."

"Fluttershy, I promise that at least one of us will come every day to make sure you're alright," Twilight said before glaring at Freeze. "And if you hurt so much as a strand of her mane, you'd better be ready for the wrath of Equestria to fall down upon you." Freeze pointed his arm at her in response and fired a shot past her head, telling them that he was done talking. They all slowly walked out of the room, except for RD who looked back her one last time.

"Are you certain? Any of us can do this instead. You don't have to sacrifice yourself."

"Element of Kindness, remember?" Fluttershy said with a smile, but RD could tell that she was covering up her fears with it. RD gave Freeze one last glare before she left the room, leaving Freeze alone with Fluttershy. "So then...Mr. Freeze? What do you plan on doing with me now that you have a hostage?" Freeze said nothing to her but instead turned and headed back to the lab, Fluttershy following him cautiously to see him sit down at a table and begin working on some kind of mixture. She kept her distance while she watched him work, expecting at any moment for him to remember that she was there, but he continued to ignore her. She took a moment to look around the room to see a snow globe in the corner on a small table with a small icicle besides it.

'Why would he have this in here?' she thought to herself as she very slowly walked over to it, Freeze paying her no mind. 'It almost looks like Freeze, except smaller and more...feminine? Why would somepony like him keep this around?' Even though she asked the question, she had no desire to get an answer. She simply sat there, looking at the icicle as Freeze worked away at his serum, ignoring her completely.

{}

In the far reaches of space, a solitary figure sped across the stars, his board allowing him to move faster than most beings could dream of. He gazed at each of the planets as he passed by them, until he saw one that was covered with lush vegetation. With a thin smile, he flew down to it and quickly sped across the surface of it, his smile growing larger when he saw no buildings or structures.

"It seems that this planet is devoid of any advance life," he said to himself, the sun reflecting off his silver skin. "My master will be able to feast on this planet without worry of wiping out sentient life. I should go and-" He was interrupted as a massive lightning bolt struck the ground besides him, causing him to cover his eyes for a moment. When he looked again, he saw a figure in a black outfit with streaks of red mixed in with it. He had a flowing black cape and a circlet rested upon his head. But what drew the surfer’s eyes was a lightning bolt in the center of his chest, one that was filled with power.

"It seems that once again those foals have sent me to the wrong place," the being said with a growl as he rose to his full height, looking into the surfers eyes. Then two bolts of lightning descended from the sky and struck his hands, causing electric power to course through them. "But that matters not now. if you know anything about the silver one, you will tell me now. Or you will suffer."

"You dare to challenge a herald of Galactus, you weak-" the Silver Surfer asked before a lightning powered fist struck him in the face and sent him skidding back a bit, the being looking at him with power and rage in his eyes.

"I am Black Adam. And I dare."