• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,058 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,058

Does A Frozen Heart Feel?

Freeze stood silently in front of the machine that the cure for Cadence was in as the machine finished the mixing process, but his thoughts were not on the machine or the cure, but instead he was thinking about what Equestria was and how he had gotten here. He hadn't had much time to think about it due to the ponies bothering him, but with the princesses and their cronies gone and Cadence barely able to move, he had more time to himself.

'Stories that I have found in the library tell of a great alicorn that made this land, but that does not tell me if this is the same earth as the one I knew of,' he thought to himself as he took the vial containing the serum and placed it into a needle that could administer it. 'That leaves me with a single question. Did I get blow to another world through time and space when that explosion went off? Or did it send me into a distant future where ponies have become the superior race? Neither seems likely, the explosion was not large enough to create such a displacement in time or space. But that begs the question, how did I get here?' He shook his head and walked over to Cadence, who could barely turn her head to look at him.

"It has been almost two whole days," he said to her coldly. "If they do not return within twenty four hours, there will be no chance for you to survive."

"Shining and the others will be back," she said to him weakly, barely able to sneer at him before falling into a coughing fit. "I know that he won't fail." Freeze shook his head at her as he turned away and headed back to where he kept the snow globe, having seen this tale unfold before. Shining would not be back in time and she would die. He picked up the icicle once again and began to carve away at it, having almost finished the legs of his Nora and now wanting to work on her face. Cadence looked over at him weakly from her bed and saw him carving. "So killing and freezing aren't your only hobbies? Care to tell me what you're working on?"

"Something that does not concern the dead," he said to her coldly, causing her to glare at him before turning her head away from him. But even though he did the best to ignore her, he could still vaguely pick up the sounds of her crying quietly to herself into the pillow. He looked down at the carving and remembered what the reflection had said to him, but he threw it from his mind a moment later. 'No distractions Victor. You cannot allow yourself to lose focus of your goal.'

|\/|
|/\|

Far in the south, in the deepest jungle known to ponies, a group of ponies walked through the thick underbrush and foliage in desperate search of the rarest flower know to the princesses. It had not been easy for them, as Shining had been worried nearly every step of the way and the fact that it had taken nearly a day to fly there cut back on their time to find the flower.

"Rainbow Dash, do you see anything?!" Twilight called up to the Pegasus, who shook her head before zooming off to find the other group. Twilight let out a sigh of frustration before she looked at her brother, who had the same dead eyes that she had seen on him for the past two days. "Don't worry Shining, we'll find the flower. It has to be somewhere."

"That's not what worries me," he said in a dead voice as he moved forward, his eyes looking left and right as he looked. "What worries me is that we won't make it back in time, even if we find the flower. We only have three days and we're at the end of our second one! How can one flower be so hard to find?!" Twilight could see the desperation in his eyes and she pulled him into a hug, before the two of them came to a stop outside of a large field, where a single flower sat in the center of it.

"There it is Shining!" Twilight said excitedly as she flapped her wings and flew down to the flower, Shining running after her with hope starting to fill up his heart. Twilight examined the flower before she pulled out the book with the picture of the flower, looking between the two to confirm that it was the flower. "Alright, so all we have to do now is dig it up and put it in this jar and we'll be good to..." Her words stopped as she and Shining looked down at the ground to realize that it was shaking, Twilight backing up with a yelp when a massive worm shot out of the ground under the flower.

"A Tatzlwurm!" Shining yelled as the worm looked down at the both of them and roared, the flower that they needed resting comfortably on top of the worms head. Its three tongues shot out and wrapped themselves around Twilight, who screamed as she started to fire beams of magic at it to no avail. Shining fired a blast at its head, but his heart sank when he saw the bolt of magic nearly hit the flower on its head.

"Shining, HELP!" Twilight yelled as she was almost sucked into the creature’s maw, only to be saved when Shining managed to get a shot off that hit one of the tongues. The Tartzlwurm screamed in pain as it released Twilight, who took the momentary distraction to try and go for the flower, only to snarl as the Tatzlwurm moved its head to the side and went for Shining. He dove to the side as the worm barreled by him, rising to its full height to stare down the two ponies.

"You said that you and Cadence fought one of these things before, how did you manage to beat it?" Shining asked her as its tongues shot out once again, forcing the ponies to dodge to avoid being grabbed. He threw up a barrier to protect himself form the tongues, which bounced off and caused the worm to roar.

"We combined our magic and overpower it!" Twilight yelled as she followed his example, the tongues not able to get to her. The worm decided to change its tactics a bit and it started trying to crush them underneath with its girth. Twilight teleported herself away from it and teleported Shining as well when the worm tried to crush him. It rose back up, though it was a bit dizzy from all the slamming. Twilight and Shining took that moment to combine their magic and blasted the worm at the same time, causing the creature to roar with pain. It let out one last moan before it began to fall...and it landed on the back of its head, crushing the flower that had been growing there.

"No," Shining whispered to himself as he ran towards where the worm had fallen. He lifted its head with his magic and threw it to the side, only to look down with a shattered heart at what remained of the flower, a few crumpled petals and a snapped stem. "No, no, NO!" He fell to his knees as he looked at the flower, just as the sun had finally set on the horizon. Twilight ran over to his side and gasped when she saw the flower.

"Shining, I'm so sorry," she said as she tried to wrap him in a hug, but he got up and turned back towards where they had parked the ship with fire in his eyes. "Shining, where are you going?"

"I'm going back to the Empire," he said in a dangerous tone without bothering to look back at Twilight. "We have barely a day left before Cadence dies, but I can still save her! I'll force that madman to give Cadence the cure even if I have to tear his legs off!" Twilight looked at her brother with a hint of fear, but she ran past him and went to find the others. Shining got to the ship before she or the others got back and he got inside, lifting it up with his magic while thinking to himself. 'Be ready Freeze, because if she's dead by the time I get back...you'll wish that you were as well!' He lifted the ship into the sky, never noticing the storm clouds behind him.

|\/|
|/\|

Freeze had never been to the top of the Crystal palace, but as he stood atop it, looking down at all of the magnificence that was the Crystal Empire, he began to understand a bit of what Luthor meant when he said it felt so great to rule over everyone. But what interested Freeze even more than the view was what he was looking at. Since he had not been outside since he first arrived here, he was intrigued to see that it had been snowing and from the way it had piled up it had been snowing non-stop.

'Yet everything was perfect when I had first arrived here,' he thought to himself as he remembered the beautiful field that he had awoken in, with the sun beaming down at him. 'Is it possible that removing the crystal heart has had an effect on the natural weather as well as the city itself? That would mean that this heart is magical as well as a powerful energy source.' He then lifted his arm to check on his power reading, but once again found that the suits power read one hundred percent.

"A very powerful source of energy indeed," he said to himself as he headed back down the stairs into the palace, deciding that the weather was not one of his concerns. The cold hadn't bothered him in a long time. As he headed back to the lab, he realized that the third day was almost up and yet the ponies were still not back yet. He had expected them to fail, but he had also expected for them to try and take the serum from him by force. 'And yet they have not returned,' he thought as he opened the door to the lab, looking at Cadence to see that she had not moved. 'Why?'

"You do not have much longer," Freeze said to her as he walked by, not getting anything more than a weak grunt out of her in response. He sat down next to his snow globe and began to carve away at the head again, but his main focus this time was the clock on the wall. From how Cadence looked and acted, she couldn't have more than an hour left. The serum would take about twenty seconds to work on her, but that all depended on if Shining brought him the flower within the hour. "Do you still believe that your Shining Armor will come to save you?" Freeze got no response from her, but then he picked up on the sound again. The sound of her crying. He looked over at where she lay and then looked down at the icicle again before he placed it to the side, no longer feeling like working on it. He then walked over to Cadence to see that she both hooves wrapped around her child as she cried, whispering weakly to herself as she did so.

"Please Faust, I don't care if I die, but let my baby live. Please don't let it die. I'll give anything." Freeze said nothing as he heard this, instead he turned away from Cadence and walked back across the lab. He picked up the icicle one last time, but then he looked from it to the serum lying next to the snow globe. Cadence continued to hold her child and pray until she felt a sharp pain in the back of her neck that caused her to turn over, where she saw Freeze standing over her. She looked at Freeze through the tears with confusion, until she noticed that he was holding the serum in his hand...and it was empty.

"What? Why did you...?" she tried to ask before she passed out, the anesthetic quickly knocking her out. Victor looked over her for a moment before he went back to his icicle carving, Cadence sleeping peacefully as the serum worked her way through her body and caused her to breathe easier. Victor sat down silently as he continued to carve away, with all that could be heard in the room was his knife against the ice and the soft snores of Cadence.