• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,057 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,057

Delaying the Inevitable

'You have saved them once again.' Freeze opened his eyes as he heard this and found, to his annoyance, that he was in another room that was completely white, in contrast to Batman's completely dark room. He looked around and found that the silver mare was sitting next to him, causing him to frown at her. 'When just earlier that day you were yelling at them? What changed your mind?'

"I do not have to tell you," he said with a pained sigh, wondering why he still felt the pain he was in if this was a dream. The silver mare sighed as he answered, shaking her head before looking up.

'You do not always have to be so cold,' she said to him. 'I know why you do what you do and I've seen the good within you. The ponies are starting to see it as well, even though they do not know if they can trust you. In fact, the only person here who does not see you that way is you. Care to tell me why?'

"No...I will not," he said after a moment, looking around at the room. "Can you just tell me how to leave? I do not want to be in here much longer. I must see how much damage the suit has taken." The silver mare frowned beneath her hood, but gave him a small nod as she stood up and began to glow brightly.

'There is so much joy you can bring to them,' she said as the room vanished. 'There is so much compassion within you. All you have to do is find it once again, just as Nora found it within you all those years ago.' Freeze groaned weakly as he felt himself waking up, the pain telling him that this time it was reality and not just another illusion. He slowly sat up to find that he was resting on a bed, but what grabbed his immediate attention was that his helmet was completely gone, meaning that unless he was in a sub-zero environment he should be dead.

"Be careful, despite the best treatment that we gave you there are still areas of your body that are hurting." He turned his head to see that Fluttershy was sitting next to his bed, wrapped in about six layers of very fashionable scarves, but from the ice forming on her mane she had been there a while. "You shouldn't move too much ether; you've been out for a couple of days."

"Why am I still alive?" he asked her, causing Fluttershy to look at him with confusion. "You had the perfect opportunity to kill me while I was unconscious, yet I still live despite the princess’s promises to be rid of me. Why haven't you killed me?" Fluttershy looked at the floor as he said this and didn't answer him right away, giving Freeze a moment to look over his armor. There were a number of dents and tears in the outer suit, but they looked minor to him. The lack of a helmet is what scared him the most at the moment.

"Because...we don't get you," Fluttershy said in a quiet voice. "Even princess Cadence, who has been against you from the day you showed up, is torn on whether or not you're a true villain or not." Freeze lay back down and looked up at the ceiling, deciding what to next before he looked over at Fluttershy.

"Yet you have been kind to me despite the pain I have caused you and the others," he pointed out. "Why?"

"Because I can see that there is good in you, despite your cold demeanor," she said with a small smile to him. "And after how you've saved me and the others a number of times, I'd like to think of you as a friend, even if you don't see me as one." Freeze thought about what she had said as well as what Batman had told him, causing him to let out a small sigh as he pushed himself up out of the bed. Fluttershy moved to his side to try and support him, but he pushed off of her gently and stood on his own.

"Fluttershy...I believe that it is far past time you and the others found out why I am who I am," he said to her with a hint of sadness in his voice, walking out of the room while freezing the walls around him to keep it cold. Fluttershy led him to the room where all the ponies sat waiting, Luna standing up warily when he entered but he paid her no mind as he created a chunk of ice for him to sit on. He looked over all the ponies once before he let out another sigh, looking down at his clasped hands.

"Before I say anything else, I would like to apologize for the pain I have caused you in the time I have been here," he said, causing the ponies to look at him in surprise. "I feel that I owe you an explanation for why I act this way, even though it is no excuse for how I have treated you."

"And what caused this sudden change of heart?" Twilight asked suspiciously, but returned to her confused look when he indicated Fluttershy.

"Freeze..." Cadence cut in, causing the snowman to look at her. "One moment you’re walking through the streets freezing and killing...and then the next you save my and many other lives. I can't figure you out...and I know that I said I would deal with you...but first I want to know why, why you're this way. You're not evil...but that's about all I know about you. If you want us to trust you, then we need to learn more about you." Freeze nodded at her words, even though he was about to tell her what she wanted to know.

"My name, as I have told you, is Victor Fries and in my world I was a scientist, a scientist that constantly ended up on the wrong side of the stick," Freeze began as he continued to look at the floor. "My luck only changed for the better when I met the love of my life, a woman named Nora who changed me for the better, someone who showed me what it meant to care." He inhaled deeply as he said this and forced himself to repress the memories. "But as cursed as I am, my happiness did not last long. She came down with an incurable dieses and was on the verge of death. In order to preserve her life, I froze her in a cryogenic sleep while I spent my life looking for a cure."

"Is that the same cure that you're trying to make here?" Twilight asked with sudden understanding, Freeze nodding.

"I don't get it. If you were trying to make a cure how did you end up like this?" Rainbow Dash asked bluntly, getting a glare from Twilight and Fluttershy.

"Boyle," Freeze said with venom in his voice, causing the ponies to look back to him. "He was the man who paid for my research on Nora and my lab. But when he decided that I was a waste of money, he came into my lab and destroyed my equipment. I tried to stop him before he got to Nora, but during the fight I was exposed to chemicals that turned me...into the monster that you see before you. In my state, I cannot leave sub-zero temperatures or I will die. But Nora needed my help, so I created a suit that would keep me cold, no matter where I went."

"What happened to Boyle?" Luna asked.

"I was so enraged that he almost cost Nora her life that I created the ice based weapons that you have seen and went after him, constantly trying to kill him for what he did to her...and to me. But no matter how many times I tried to kill him, one man continued to stop me from taking that final step into darkness...the Batman." When the ponies gave him a look, he gave them a quick explanation of who he was. "For years we played this game while I stole to provide the funds to save Nora. But one day I finally succumbed to battle and was lost in an explosion...and found myself here. The rest you know." The ponies took a moment to process what he had just said, but Shining was the first to ask him a question.

"You did all of this...created a suit to keep you alive while you battled freaks and the law all to save your wife?" he asked him, causing Freeze to look up at him. "You even went as far to overcome death to save her?"

"Wouldn't you do the same for her?" Freeze asked him as he nodded at Cadence, Shining nodding sadly before wrapping a hoof around Cadence. Cadence opened her mouth to ask a question, but Freeze cut her off. "That is all I am willing to say about my past life."

"Is there any way we can help her?" Twilight asked, causing Freeze to turn his attention towards her.

"Every time someone has offered to help me, all they have done is stab me in the back," he said coldly. "So why are you offering to help me? I have frozen you, taken your home and threatened to kill all of you on a regular basis. Why help your foe?"

"Because you've helped us," Fluttershy spoke up. "You saved Cadence's life even when we hadn't found the flower you wanted, you saved me when that hydra attacked and just a few days ago you saved us from that dinosaur. Yes you may have hurt us, but we would have lost so much had you not intervened. The least we can do is help you." Freeze looked around at the ponies with complete shock in his face, despite his best efforts to try and hide his emotions. Then he remembered what Batman had said, telling him that they were willing to help him if he let them.

"All I need is to get back to the lab and repair my helmet," he said as he stood up and turned to leave, but Cadence cleared her throat to get him to stop.

"We can get a master pony to craft you a new helmet while you work on the cure," she said before she looked down at her bump. "After saving both me and my child, this is the least we can do for you. I can't imagine what you must have gone through and while you must still be punished for what you have done here...I will not stand by while your wife waits for you to save her. You saved my family; I will help you save yours. Then you answer for what you've done. Ponies come help me set up the lab again." The ponies all agreed as they ran past him, leaving Mr. Freeze completely stunned as Fluttershy walked up to his side.

"See Victor, we might be a little stubborn at first, but we know a good pony when we see one," she said as she grabbed his hand and led him back to the laboratory where Twilight and Shining were helping to repair the damage to his lab. "And don't worry Victor; we will help you save her." Freeze looked at the ponies helping him, amazed that they were showing him so much kindness. Yet he could feel it, down in his heart that it wouldn't be enough. He tried to ignore it, but he knew. He just couldn't admit it.

'All I have to do is finish the cure,' he thought to himself as he walked away from the ponies and looked out of the hole in the wall down upon the land. 'That's all that matters. She's all that matters.'