• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,058 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,058

Love Shall Overcome

Fluttershy exited the hospital room she had been resting in, finding that her friends were all sitting around a table while intensely discussing with each other. To her surprise, she found that Celestia was not there despite Luna being there, making her wonder if something had happened in Canterlot. She walked over to them to tell them what she had learned about Freeze, but she her tiny voice couldn't be heard over the louder ponies there. Luna eventually noticed her and alerted the other ponies to her presence, where she was immediately crushed as her friends all hugged her at once.

"We're so glad to see that you are alright," Rarity said to her once they had released Fluttershy, the yellow Pegasus trying to regain her breath. "Twilight told us that you had willingly gone back to that madman. We had feared that he might hurt you again, but it seems that you are tougher than believed."

"Of course we are. Pegasi are the toughest ponies around," Rainbow said with a smile as she pulled Fluttershy into a one armed hug. "It will take a lot more than snow or ice to stop us."

"It is good that you are here Fluttershy, because I have a few questions to ask you," Cadence said in a royal tone, telling Fluttershy that whatever she needed to talk about was important. Fluttershy decided to save the information about Victor for later as she sat down with the others, Cadence clearing her throat before she began to speak. "With Fluttershy now here, I am going to go over our idea again. As you already know Fluttershy, my special magic allows me to fix damaged relationships or hearts that have lost their love. In short, I can get a pony to become compassionate or to love another. This is what we plan to use on Freeze."

"I don't understand," Fluttershy said with a confused look. "I thought that you couldn't make a pony love another against their will?"

"Normally, I cannot," Cadence said before a smile crept across her face. "And I also know that normally my magic wouldn't affect him due to the crystal heart within him, but that heart will be his weakness. See, the heart is powered by love and empowers love, so my loves spell will only be supercharged by the heart and Freeze will begin to feel love again."

"And why are we doing this to him?" Fluttershy asked her, confused by the plan and a little worried for the safety of Freeze. "That seems cruel, even for...someone like Freeze." Cadence looked to Shining Armor then down to her baby before she decided to answer.

"So that we can examine his armor and talk to him about where he came from...and maybe we can get out why he's here. A few days ago I would have had no problem just blasting him, but due to him...saving me and you, I felt that this is the only way that we'll be able to get him to cooperate with us," she said with a sigh that told Fluttershy that she was tired. "He won't allow us to talk to him otherwise and he might try to freeze us if we annoy him. If he is filled with love for us though, it will make it easier to get him out of the palace. It's the only way."

"You could try asking him," Fluttershy said softly, all of the ponies looking at her with looks that said "really?" as she slightly hid under the table. "He can be nice." The ponies ignored that statement and all began to talk to themselves again as Cadence decided that it was time to go, Fluttershy thinking up one flaw in their plan as the ponies all began to head for the door. "Um wait! He already has somepony he-"

"Miss Shy, we need you to come with us for a while," a doctor said to her, cutting her off. "We'd like to do one more x-ray." Fluttershy tried to argue, but she quickly found herself getting dragged back to the examination room. Meanwhile Cadence and the ponies walked into the crystal palace (nopony had bothered to repair the door yet) and headed into the laboratory, the entire time Cadence was going over her plan in her head. There they found Freeze, who was still trying to repair the damage done to his suit, though he did stop when he saw the ponies approach.

"I am in no mood for your babble today. Kindly leave and do not return," he said to them in a tone that told the ponies that his patience was already thin, though Luna stepped forward with rage in her eyes at his attitude.

"I think that we have been more than patient with you, Freeze. You came to our land, kicked the princesses out of her home and attacked anypony who tried to so much as speak with you," Luna said in a cold tone. Freeze turned to look at her with no emotion, though he did tell her to get on with it. "I am telling you this once Freeze. Either come with us or you will be forced out." Cadence could have sworn that Luna's threat almost caused Freeze to smile, but his frosty demeanor returned and he shook his head at Luna.

"You disappoint me Luna, you know that none of you or your ponies stand a chance against me," he said in a threatening tone. "Your magic cannot work on me," he said to her as a pink aura began to surround him, Freeze not in the least bit worried. "The crystal heart will..." He stopped talking there as he began to back up a bit, feeling a weird sensation course through his cold body. He blinked twice and looked up at the ponies, confused as to why he was beginning to feel...love for them. But even though he couldn't figure out why he was feeling it, the spell was causing the love for them to increase every second.

"I don't believe it, it's actually working," Cadence heard Rainbow whisper to Rarity behind her.

"Come on Victor, all we want to do is talk," Cadence said in a kind tone as the magic completely surrounded him. "Come with us. What you're doing in here isn't as important as us." She was completely right, he shouldn't be in here. He should go with them; he should be focused on making them happy.

'They are what's important to me now,' he thought to himself as he began to walk towards them. 'I do not need to be in here, I do not need to make the cure. Why would I make a cure for someone who is already gone anyway? Why do I subject myself to failed experiment to failed experiment for her, when I could be happy with them, when...when I could be happy...no. No, my happiness is not important. How can I be happy without my beloved Nora by my side?'

"Come on Freeze, we want to take you to see our scientist friends," Cadence said again as she used more of her magic. But despite the fact that the crystal heart was indeed fueling her spell and that its effects were ten times stronger than usual, none of them could see behind the emotionless face that Freeze wore. And all the only emotion there was wrath.

"Cadence, stop now," Luna whispered, realizing what was happening.

'How could I allow myself to lose sight of what's truly important?! My happiness means nothing! Only hers does! Only when she is happy can I truly be HAPPY! Her love is the only love I need!' Freeze let a scream loose as he threw his arms back, shattering the spell that was trying to overwrite his one love. The ponies were knocked back a bit as he shattered the spell, but all of them saw the cold darkness on his face as he slowly looked up at them. Faster than they could react he fired beams of ice at them, Freeze all of them but Cadence to the wall behind them. She looked back to her friends before looking back at Freeze, who was now towering over her, seething with rage.

"T-this is impossible! You shouldn't be able to resist. Not unless you already..."

"You," he said in a whisper that caused Cadence's soul to freeze with fear. "You tried to take control of my heart, tried to get me to care for you inferior creatures. But you failed to grasp one, crucial fact." He grabbed her by the throat as he said this and lifted her up, his grip freezing her slightly. "My heart was given to some else years ago. And no amount of magic will take it from them." He then brought his right hand back, narrowing his eyes as he prepared to strike.

'Victor.' freeze's eyes widened as he heard his wife whisper into his ear, stopping his wrath from overflowing. Freeze then slightly shook his head before looking at the terrified Cadence...and then to the child she held within her. For a long moment he did not move, but then he dropped her to the ground, the rage still in his eyes.

"I will remember what you have done today," he said to them in a cold fury. "Do not think that I will forgive this slight so easily this time." he glared at all of them as he said this, allowing Cadence to free her trapped friends while looking at Freeze with both fear and confusion. He was about to turn and head back to his work when the ponies all began to feel the earth shake beneath them. All of them wondered what was going on as Luna rushed from the palace and ran outside, where she was quickly joined by the others and Freeze, all of whom were stopped cold in their tracks by what they saw.

"Is that...a dinosaur?" Twilight asked in disbelief as she and the other processed what they were looking at. The creature looked like a T-Rex, but it had a horn on its head and it had scales covering its body like a snake. But one thing that all the ponies knew about it was that it was dangerous, as it turned its gaze upon all of them with a roar.

"Come ponies, let us-!" Luna began until she looked into its eyes, turning to stone almost immediately. The other ponies gasped as they saw this, only to look up at the creature as it threw back its head and roared, shaking the city to the core.

"Oh this is bad," Twilight said as the creature began to turn to face them.

'Understatement of the century,' Freeze thought as he prepared his Freeze rays, knowing this would not be an easy fight.