• Published 13th Sep 2011
  • 21,337 Views, 576 Comments

Double Rainbow - theworstwriter



Rainbow Dash is behaving strangely, and Applejack is very confused.

  • ...
27
 576
 21,337

Chapter 8

Rainbow Dash held the door to the library open for Rainbow Dash. One was just coming in, the other was just leaving. Following behind Dash was Applejack.

“Twilight, we’ve got a problem. Applejack doesn’t remember something we did a few months ago.”

Twilight Sparkle wanted to make a somewhat sarcastic remark about nopony having perfect memory, but stopped herself. Dash wouldn’t be bringing this up if it didn’t have to do with that tangled knot of a relationship she had with the farm pony. It was a good thing Twilight had already figured this part out.

“Correct. Applejack does not remember the day you realized you were in love with her, because she wasn’t there. You didn’t fall in love with Applejack, you fell in love with APPLEJACK!”

Rainbow Dash frowned. “I was afraid you’d say that…”

Applejack looked confused. “And jes what exackly does that mean?”

“It means you don’t remember that day because you hadn’t lived through it yet. You have to go back in time and go on a trip to Hoofington with Rainbow Dash. You have to ensure that she realizes how she really feels about you so that you two end up together and we FINALLY STOP THIS NONSENSE! Honestly, if this is what it takes to find love you can count me out.”

Applejack’s eyes quivered and it looked like she was only barely holding back tears.

Rainbow Dash put a hoof on the earth pony's shoulder "Hay, what's wrong?"

“Are… are you telling me that I haf’ ta LIE to you? I have to make up some cockamamie nonsense ‘bout special fertilizer and drag you all the way to Hoofington fer nothin’?”

“It’s not for nothing. It’s absolutely vital to your relationship, and because you two just HAD to get your relationship tangled up in time travel, it’s vital to the fate of Equestria. Applejack, I know you’re the element of honesty – but you MUST do this. There just isn’t any alternative.”

---------------------------------------------------

Applejack hated this whole trip. Here she was, right next to the mare she loved, but completely unable to truly BE with her. She had to pretend they were just friends, and also had to make sure her ‘just friend’ stared at her for several hours. She had to be just a few steps away from her dream mare, doing everything in her power to make certain she was in the other mare’s thoughts, but maintaining the image that nothing was going on and indeed knowing that nothing WAS going to go on until well after this trip. She had to LIE TO HER. This was all awful, wasting so many hours and getting no work done. Spending so much time with a friend, but not having any fun. Repeating the same lie over and over and smiling as if nothing was wrong.

When they finally made camp on the return trip, Applejack excused herself for a minute to go to the nearby stream for a drink. Rainbow Dash was there.

“So, is it workin’? Are ya starin’ at me yet?”

“No, I’m not. I keep spacing out, probably thinking about flying and stunts. You’re going to have to do something to get my attention.”

“Like wut, LIE more?”

“Hay, you know this isn’t your fault. You had to. I forgive you.”

“I know ya do, sugarcube, but it still hurts. An’ ah still have to go back out there an’ lie to ya some more. An’ all this is just ta trick ya’ into fallin’ fer me.”

Rainbow Dash nuzzled her marefriend. “No, AJ, that’s not true. I already had feelings for you before tonight, I just didn’t realize it. It wasn’t the first time I’d stared at you and felt something. It was just the first time I understood what it was I was feeling.”

“Then why aren’t ya staring at me yet?”

“I don’t know, maybe I’m afraid that you’ll see me staring and get the wrong idea. You know I have a hard time keeping my wings down.” Dash blushed.

“But I thought ya said ya didn’t know ya felt that way yet?”

“There’s a big difference between finding somepony attractive and wanting to be with them. I’m sure Rarity and Prince Jerk Blood have proven that. I’ve always thought you were beautiful. I mean, even without your cute freckles and your amazing eyes and your awesome hair, you’ve still got a KILLER body. I mean just look at your…” *Sproing*

The blue pegasus’ wings shot up into the night sky. Applejack laughed softly. “Alright, I’m gonna go back out there and do…” her voice shifted to a lower, more seductive tone “…whatever I can to catch your eye.” She stretched and wriggled slightly, not any more than would be expected of a pony trying to get comfortable, but somehow pushing all the right buttons.

Dash gulped. “Alright. Just keep an eye on my wings, and you should know when you’ve done your job.” She paused. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

---------------------------------------------------

Scootaloo fell out of her bed, completely exhausted. She couldn’t remember the last time she had done so much in such a short time. She didn’t care. The last few days had been more awesome than she’d ever dreamed. There was barely any time where she wasn’t hanging out with her idol, pulling crazy stunts and listening to fantastic stories. She ALMOST hoped she wouldn’t see Rainbow Dash today, if only to have some time to rest… almost. Today however, she had already made plans with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. As awesome as Dash was, ditching your friends was not cool.

When Scootaloo dragged herself up to the clubhouse, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom were already there.

“Scootaloo, you’re late.”

“Sorry, I slept in a bit. I’m really tired.”

“What’ve ya been doin’ to make yerself so tired? We haven’t seen much of ya lately.”

“Oh, I’ve just been hanging with THE coolest pony in Ponyville.”

“Applejack?”
“Rarity?”
The other two fillies asked simultaneously.

“No! C’mon guys, RAINBOW DASH! Jeez.”

Sweetie Belle looked at Scootaloo curiously. “But hasn’t she been over at the Library with Twilight a lot?”

Applebloom looked at both of her friends. “Are you guys sure? Ah thought she’s been here on tha farm helping mah sister.”

“Well, she is the fastest flier in Equestria. Maybe she’s in three places at once!” Scootaloo stared out the window into the sky searching for rainbow colored trails, obviously feeling that her explanation was perfectly plausible.

Rainbow Dash flew by in the distance, in what looked like the direction of the library.

Rainbow Dash peeked her head into the clubhouse. “There you are Applebloom. AJ is looking for you.”

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom didn’t seem to have noticed the distant Rainbow. Scootaloo briefly considered whether or not her cutie mark would have to do with making absurd statements become reality.