• Published 13th Feb 2013
  • 1,133 Views, 30 Comments

The Gathering Strom Part III: Cyclone - WiskeyMikeOne



The highly anticipated third part of The Oncoming Storm sires of fan fiction created by WiskeyMikeOne

  • ...
3
 30
 1,133

Chapter Two: Back in Black (and Blue)

Chapter Two
Back in Black (and Blue)

I was so relived to be back at the NLRAF airfield, not because I was tired or just wanted to get back home it’s because I was bloody freezing. I was given a blanket by one of the paramedics that were waiting at the airfield.

“Take good care of her but keep her stunned, she can get a bit violent at times” I said the the paramedics that were tending to Spitfire.

“Don’t worry sir we will.”

I watch the ambulance travel down the tar mark and onto the main road out of the airbase. Night Furry had seen better days, her canopy was gone and here were scuff marks and dents all over her. I heard some vehicles pull up behind me. A yellow towing tractor to transport Night Furry back to the hangar, another ambulance and a buggy with Caramel, Shamrock and Rainbow Dash in.

“Whirlwind you’re alive!” said an excited Caramel.

“Just about.” I replied.

Caramel came at me for a hug but froze in his tracks with a look of horror on his face; Dashie and Shamrock had the same expression.

“What?” I asked.

“Been in the wars have we?” asked Shamrock.

“Well obviously.” I replied.

Dashie flew back to the ambulance and spoke to the paramedics. I looked down at my flight suite, it was meant to be black but it was red. I touched my face with my hoof then studied the ooze.

It was my blood, Spitfire must have broken my nose but I couldn't feel anything my face was numb from the cold but I did go a little light headed at the sight of the blood. The paramedics sat me down in the back of the ambulance, Dashie came to the door.

“Whirlwind, tell me what happened?”

“I will...later.”

Caramel shut both doors then banged on them to signal the driver to go.

*

“Hold still Whirlwind!”

“Ah! That stuff is like acid Red Heart, what is it?”

“Just disinfectant that’s all.”

“Well it stings!”

“Oh don’t be such a baby.”

“Who you calling a baby?”

Nurse Red Heart tended to my wounds in the Castle's sick ward; I didn't want to go to Manechester Urgent Care.

“Ah ha found another piece of glass.”

“Oh for bucks sake.”

Red Heart reached for a pair of sliver tweezers that was on a little trolley next to her.

“This won’t hurt.”

“You say that every time and it always dose. AH!”

“There, got it.”

“Did you take half of my face with it as well?” I said whilst gripping mu forehead.

“Quit moaning. Tell you what if you behave like a good colt I’ll give you a lollypop.”

I looked at Red Heart her grin filled her face.

“It better be apple flavored.” I said under my breath.

The door to the ward flew open; it was Dashie, Shamrock, Caramel, Bon Voyage, Molotov and Princess Luna. I stood to attention and saluted Luna, nearly knocking over the surgical tool table.

“Whirlwind I heard about what happened, are you okay?”

“I’m fine you’re Highness.”

“Really?”

She flew over and inspected my face like a mother looking over her small colt who had just fallen into pile of dirt.

“I've gotten all of the glass out your Highness but it would have been much easier if it weren't for Whirlwind fussiness.”

Dashie and the others started walking over. Dashie started laughing.

“Heh heh Whirlwind never likes going to the hospital. Hay Whirl remember that one time in flight school when you fell and cut your lip and had to get five stitches. The doc hadn't even started and you were complaining about the needle."

“Ha ha very funny. Remember that time when you stole from the flight school canteen and-“

“Okay Whirl I’ll be good.”

“Did the fleet make it make to port?” I asked Bon Voyage.

“Some damage, the civilians are a little shaken but they all made it back safely.”

“Excellent. What about your friends?” I asked Dashie.

“There all fine, Rarity and the Mayor are with them now in the throne room bringing them up to speed.”

“Why aren't you with them?”

“Because I wanted to make sure you were okay first."

“Oh fair enough. By the way how did you convince Fluttershy to come?”

“I pulled up next to her in my jet and took my flight helmeted off, she recognised me straight away ad followed me to the aircraft carrier.”

“Good.”

“The civilians are now moving into Manechester.” said Luna.

“Sea Breeze!” Caramel ran out of the ward “I’m coming Sea Breeze, your knight in shining armor is coming for you.”

We were all stunned; Dashie shook her head and scoffed.

“He’s really excited.”

“Just then or in general?” Said Molotov.

We all laughed. Caramel had been waiting for years to see Sea Breeze again; I just hope she was part of the 3000 we saved. With my wounds attended to myself and everypony else made our way to the throne room.

I stopped to look out of the stain glass window at the troop carriers in the port offloading the rescued civilians. A long line of multi colored ponies heeded to Manechester central park to where they can meet up with their friends and families. Caramel was now at the castle wall gates jumping up and down with excitement as he waited for the draw bridge to lower over the chasm.

As we entered the throne room Intel and Rarity were just wrapping up the de-brief that they were giving to the wielders of harmony. The Mayor’s chair was empty. Intel and Rarity stood as Princess Luna entered, Rarity signaled her friends to stand up too.

“Please be seated everypony.” Luna replied.

“Where’s the Mayor?” I asked Intel.

“She went to see if her husband was one of the civilians you saved.”

“I wasn't just me you known. Hundreds more ponies are to thank, I just gave the orders.”

“But you gave them well otherwise my friends wouldn't be here.” said Rarity.

I looked at the wielders they were smiling back but I think they were a bit shocked at the state of my face. Fluttershy spoke.

“Oh my happened to you. Are...are you okay?”

“I’m fine thank you; I just had a run in with an old friend that’s all.”

I looked over towards Applejack; she was giving me a hard stare from across the table. We sat down and Luna made her way to her throne. I purposely sat next to Applejack I wanted to find out why she snubbed me.

“Hello I’m-“

“Whirlwind. I know.”

“You do?”

“Yeah your face is on wanted posters all around Equestria.”

I then remembered what she said when I met her at Sweet Apple Acres after I was betrayed by the empire five years ago.

“Yeah, you know that pony that the empire is looking for? He was her wing man. He shot her down out of jealously, why if I ever get my hooves on him I would make him regret hurting Rainbow Dash”

“Oh yeah that, well you see...”

“Don’t waste your breath. Rainbow Dash told me about what happened when we were on the ship.”

“Okay. You’re still not mad at me now are you?”

“I can see why you had to do it but it might take me some time to warm up to you.”

“Fair enough. Is there anything I can do to convince you quicker?”

“Properly not.”

“Well imagine me with no wings a black cloak and a dark blue mane and tail.”

Applejack's eyes darted back and forth in her head, and then she turned and had a look of shock on her face.

“C-Cart Wheel?”

“That’s right, hello again.”

AJ looked around the room; she looked at Luna who was talking to Pinkie Pie then to Rainbow Dash then NLR banners hanging from the ceiling, then the guards then back to me.

“I never make a promise I can’t keep.” I said to her face.

Our meeting lasted a few more hours. Rarity and AJ left early to go and fined there sisters. As the rest of us were about to leave Princess Luna called me back in for a few words.

“What’s troubling you Whirlwind?”

“Err nothing your Highness...”

“You are many thing Whirlwind but you are not a liar, tell me what’s wrong.”

There was no point trying to hide it, Luna could see right through me. I took in a deep breath.

“My sister Spitfire-”

Luna’s eyes widened, I thought she knew.

“Spitfire did this to me; she also said I have no brother. I think Celestia has put her under the same obedience spell that she used on Rainbow Dash.”

Luna paused for second to take it all in; she walked towards the window and gazed out.

“I’m sorry to hear that. Before you ask Whirlwind I would be happy to reverse the spell that my sister has placed on Spitfire. I think I owe you that much. But I’m also sensing a lack of confidence from you, which has never happened before, what else is the matter?”

“The empire has some new technology that makes there aircraft invisible to radar and prevents our missiles from locking on to them. But it’s not on all aircraft it’s only present on the on the Wonderbolt's aircraft which is an aircraft I've never seen before. We also need more ace pilots, it’s just me Rainbow Dash and Shamrock and we can’t be at two places at once.”

Luna stroked her chin.

“I’ll see what I can do. Leave it with me Whirlwind.”

“No offense your Highness but what can you do. Can you magically spawn ace pilots out of thin air?”

Luna laughed “Like I said, leave it with me.”

I bowed and left the throne room. I turned to close the door but it was shut by Rainbow Dash who was hiding behind the door. She didn't look pleased.

“Spitfire is your sister!”

“Were you eavesdropping?”

“Of course I was but that’s not important now. Why didn't you tell me?”

“Well I was going to tell you after the meeting.”

“I mean why didn't you tell me years ago? You know I adore Spitfire, you've always known I always wanted to join the Wonderbolts, you could have introduced me to her and would have lived out my life’s dream.”

“Exactly.”

Dashie landed, she looked confused.

“When I was growing up I never had many friends, actually it was only you. I didn't tell you Spitfire was my sister otherwise I thought you might leave me for her or use me to get to Spitfire.”

Dashie shook her head.

“Whirlwind you can be quite dumb sometimes. I’m your friend and I always will be.”

Dashie walked passed me and rubbed her head on my neck, it was a sign of affection she winked then flew off down the corridor. “Well that went better than expected” I said to myself. I looked out of the window again; the sun was low in the sky, not even the glass protected me from the suns heat. “Celestia must be furious. We going to have it hot the next couple of days.”