• Published 26th Jan 2012
  • 4,537 Views, 71 Comments

Conversion Bureau: Operation Ares Kingdom - SirAroun



In a future full of greedy leaders and racist ponies on man aims for stars to save humanity

  • ...
13
 71
 4,537

Ch. 4 For Science! For Humanity!

I'm sorry for the wait but with Collage and a new Exalted (the game) project to work on I've had no time to write. Some good news, I have a new co-writer, Sixpence, and together we will hopefully make faster and better chapters.
I like to also give a big thanks to McBobbish and DaBunnanaKing for commenting on every chapter. Thank you, it means a lot to me. Also this story is now longer then "The Weirdest Reincarnation". :)

Edit: Freeman's best friends last name has been changed to Sanguis to avoid angering the flying monkey army.

Thank you for reading,

Sir Aroun and Sixpence

p.s. video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IvPIWzQcUY (you will under stand why this is here after reading the chapter)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What is that?" said twilight looking at the large contraption.

"It is a photon-reaction, gravity drive." I told her with much pride.

We had just entered the propulsion lab and where looking at the prototype for the Arc's engine beyond the blast window.

"A what?" Twilight asked.

"It's what lets our ships take the normally two year trip to mars in just under six months."

"Really? How does it work?" she asked, looking at me with a bright eyed expression.

"Sorry, It is a secret."

"Oh, okay." said Twilight sadly.

I looked at the sad pony, trying to think of what to do.

I snapped my fingers. "Dr. Zim, do a test fire of the drive."

"With... her here, sir?" said Dr. Zim.

"I don't think it will hurt anything." I said laughing.

"Okay, sir, you're the boss."

Dr. Zim walked over to the control panel and prepared the engine for test fire.

"Beginning test fire of the Mark III Jump Drive."

He swiped his card key and pressed his thumb against the scanner.

"Mark lll activating test mode." said the computer.

The engine started to whir. Slowly yet surely, multicolored lights began to flare up all over it, shining all across the room. The engine began to twirl like a top, creating a magnificent spectacle of light and motion.

"Amazing." said Twilight entranced by the lights

Then the engine went off suddenly. Along with the rest of the power.

"What happened?" I turned to Dr. Zim, who appeared just as clueless as I was to the cause.

Then, quick as it happened, the power went back up. The engine was off due to it's fail-safes automatically shutting it down if there was an error.

Dr. Zim gave the room a look. "Don't we have generators for this sort of thing? A power outage out here... Ah. That explains it." He said giving the door a look.

I turned to it to see my co-worker Dr. Nigel Sanguis, trying to sneak out the door.

That would be the cause, wouldn't it?

"Sanguis!" I shouted.

He leapt with an yelp before giving a sigh of relief. "Oh. It's just you Ace."

"That's Director Freeman to you. What happened here?"

He looked shiftily at the occupants of the room, before giving a nervous chuckle.

"Well, you see... I was hungry, so I decided to unplug something in order to plug in the microwave." He said with a smile.

I gave him a look. "I see. And this somehow shorted out the whole place? And shut down the engine despite being directly connected to the power source?"

He paused before saying one word. "Yes."

I gave him another look before giving a sigh. "We'll talk about this later. Right now we have guests. Dr. Sanguis, this is Twilight Sparkle."

"Oh. Hello." He said giving the purple unicorn a glance. "By the way, Dr. Zim, if theoretically one was using a heavily modified robotic construction suit, and wanted it to be capable of flight, what would he need to do to it?"

Dr. Zim gave him a look as well, but I saved him the trouble of having to answer.

"No Dr. Sanguis, you are not allowed to use our resources here to build a super robot, regardless of how awesome you say it will be. We have a deadline here."

He looked downtrodden at that, but immediately brightened up. "Ok, sure. Not allowed to build a super robot with the resources here. Got it." And with that, he rushed out the door giggling to himself incessantly. I would have to talk to him later.

"Sorry about that. Dr. Sanguis is a bit... exuberant with his... hobbies."

________________________________________________________________________________

As we walked around Dome One enjoying some apple we had procured from the trees, Twilight brought up the matter from last night.

"We are not trying to destroy your cultures. We are not making people to become ponies, it is a free choice." said Twilight nervously

I walked over to table were some water glasses had be left by the workers. I picked up one in each hand and lifted them up to Twilight.

"Lets say that this cup had a, um... humanization potion."

I raised up one of the glass.

"And this one had a deadly poison, that WOULD kill you, and was very slow and painful."

I raised up the other glass.

She looked at me strangely, as if try to figure out where I was going with this.

"Now if told you that you had to choose one and drink it, would that really be a free choice?"

She sat down rubbing her hoof on her neck, then her forehead.

"No...?" She said weakly

She shot up and turned to me.

"But that is not what we are doing! We are not making anyone commit suicide!" Twilight said with a rare ferocity.

I was taking a back for a few moments, but then continued with a calm tone.

"Isn't Twilight? The expansion of your world is like a poison. It will kill any human in its path and one day we will find our selfs without an ground to stand on and die out."

She opened her mouth to speak but said nothing a quickly closed it.

"I'm not accusing your people of anything, I'm just saying that is not a free choice." I said as nicely as I could.

I look upon her sad face

"I want you to see something."

I walked to my office, she followed with confused curiosity. After closed and locked the door I turned back to the still confused.

"Now before I show you it to you can you promise not to tell anyone or anypony." I said

"Sure." said Twilight

"Really?" I asked giving her the look

"Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." said Twilight

"Huh?" I said confused

"Its call a Pinkie promise, and trust me do do not break Pinkie promise." she said with much confidences

"That will do, I guess?"

I opened my video screen and played a video labeled 'The Great Dictator Speech'.

"This is an old video done by a man name Charlie Chaplin. My grandfather used to show this to my all the time when I was young." I said as the video stared to play.

...

"I’m sorry but I don’t want to be an Emperor – that’s not my business – I don’t want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible, Jew, gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another, human beings are like that.

We all want to live by each other’s happiness, not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone and the earth is rich and can provide for everyone.

The way of life can be free and beautiful.

But we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men’s souls – has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed.

We have developed speed but we have shut ourselves in: machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little: More than machinery we need humanity; More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men, cries out for universal brotherhood for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me I say “Do not despair”.

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress: the hate of men will pass and dictators die and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as men die liberty will never perish…

Soldiers – don’t give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you and enslave you – who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you as cattle, as cannon fodder.

Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts. You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don’t hate – only the unloved hate. Only the unloved and the unnatural. Soldiers – don’t fight for slavery, fight for liberty.

In the seventeenth chapter of Saint Luke it is written ” the kingdom of God is within man ” – not one man, nor a group of men – but in all men – in you, the people.

You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy let’s use that power – let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give you the future and old age and security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfill their promise, they never will. Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfill that promise. Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men’s happiness.

Soldiers – in the name of democracy, let us all unite!”

...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thanks for showing me that and thank you for the book." Twilight said say putting the old copy of 'What the Buddha Taught' into her bag.

"Welcome, I think you will like that book. Have you read much human philosophy?" I said as we walked down the hall.

"None, just history and biology."

I stopped and looked at her.

"Just history and biology?" I asked surprised

"Yes?" Twilight asked confused.

"Well that would explain a lot." I said starting to walk again.

"What do you mean?" asked Twilight.

"History focuses on big events like wars and calamities; biology only talks about the flesh, based only on these it be easy to misjudge us." I stated

"That is not all I base my views on." said Twilight "I also base it on what I've seen coming here"

"That is even worses!" I exclaimed. "The world is essentially a barren destitute shadow of its former self. The world is run by an oppressive corporation, many of our natural recourses have vanished, and most of our food is gone, and replaced with syntho-food, and outside of this facility everyone is being watched Twenty-Four seven!"

She blinked twice. "Well. That seems... Bad."

There was an awkward silence after my outburst.

"Well," She quickly changed the subject. "About that friend of yours. Dr. Sanguis. Why did he call you Ace?"

"He's not supposed to." I replied. "But he is my best friend, so that gives him certain liberties. Speaking of which, I should probably go see what he's doing. Would you mind joining me?"

"I would love to." She answered, and so we headed to my best friends lab.

________________________________________________________________________________

The door to the lab was an odd one to say the least. It was covered in stickers and odd drawings of Mars with crayons. Written in small space in the center in gold cursive script was

Dr. Sanguis Lab

Please, Do Come In

I took the writing up on its invitation and opened the door. Inside was a sight to behold.

All around the room were tomato vines growing everywhere. The plant was nearly extinct, but you wouldn't realize it seeing this genetically modified variant growing on lab equipment, all over the floor, and even hanging from the ceiling. At the back of the room, there was a depression filled with water, creating an artificial pond, though puddle would be a more correct word. There were drawings and plans littering the floor, and a few supplies, including crayons and pencils.

At the far left of the room, there was a train car with tomato vines growing up that as well. One could see a bed and a computer monitor through the window, and right of the room, there was an old decrepit robotic construction suit with a ladder on the side. That was Sanguis' "Desk" For lack of a better word. Even this had vines growing on it. Dr. Sanguis himself was on top of it typing away on a laptop like lightning, oblivious to the world.

Though not for long.

"Dr. Sanguis!" I shouted over to him. He yelped and almost fell off the machine before looking around and spotting us, and he gave us a wave.

"Hello Ace!" He quickly folded up his laptop and climbed down the ladder before skipping over to us, careful not to step on any vines.

"Dire- You know what? Fine. We're are not on duty anyway, Nigel."

"Anyway, Ace, I had a great idea. We could put trains on Mars. Now i know what you are thinking but hear me out..." He then proceeded to talk for about a minute straight about the topic before noticing we were not the only two people in the room.

"Oh, hello. Would you like a tomato?"

This would have broken Twilight out of her stupor, but as if she was used to him and his antics, she politely nodded, and with a smile he rushed off to grab a few tomatoes from a vine.

"It's almost like you are used to him." I whispered to her.

"I have a friend named Pinkie Pie. He reminds me of her." She whispered back.

I opened my mouth to inquire about her friend, but quick as a flash he was back with three tomatoes. He tossed one to me, one to Twilight (who caught it with magic), and took a bite out of the third as if it were an apple.

"Thank you for the tomato, but I really should be going back to my room." Said Twilight almost apologetically.

"Oh, that's fine." He said, before taking another bite out of the tomato.

"It was nice speaking with you both. Goodbye." She said with a smile before heading through the door.

"Those ponies have awfully large eyes." He said before looking around for another tomato, having polished off his first one quickly. "I feel oddly compelled to poke them."

"Don't be so mean Nigel. Anyway, in a few months, we won't see them anymore." I said taking a bite out of my own tomato.