• Published 26th Jan 2012
  • 4,516 Views, 71 Comments

Conversion Bureau: Operation Ares Kingdom - SirAroun



In a future full of greedy leaders and racist ponies on man aims for stars to save humanity

  • ...
13
 71
 4,516

Ch.3 The Man and The Mare

As a teacher said her students "If you don't say anything, how can I tell if I'm doing my job right?"
Please comment.

Thank you,

Sir Aroun
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Take Miss Sparkle's things to her room please" I said to one of the men by the door.

"Yes sir."

I turned to Twilight and handed her a key card on a string.

"You will need this."

She looked at the card then back at me.

"What is it?"

I swiped my card through the lock.

"It is a public pass, it will get you into, and only into, public areas of the base."

"O" she said as her stomach started to growl.

She stopped, putting a hoof to her stomach. I don't know why but I let out a little laugh.

"Do you like potatoes?"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"So you grow these your selves? I did not think that your world could still support crops."

We sat down at a table in the mess hall and begun eating.

"They grow them in Dome One, I'll show you tomorrow."

I had never spent much time around ponies. O sure, I had read up on them, seen them on television, and even briefly talked to a few in town, but I never spent much time with them; partiality because I'm very busy but mostly because most ponies where so insufferably happy that I felt like they where going to kill me in my sleep or worse. Twilight was different, she was professional, calm, and sane. Strip away the context, and she was cute, a toy like cute mind you, but also respectable.

"What did you mean when you said that you do all this so you can live?"

I put down my fork and looked at the puzzled unicorn.

"Just what I said. We work so that my people may live through the death of our world."

"Why not just become ponies? Would it not be better than colonizing a far off and lifeless world?"

I stood up and walked to the window.

"When I say 'my people' I mean humanity. When I say 'live' I mean as something more than mere echoes."

"Echoes?"

I turn stared straight at her.

"What dose it mean to be human, Miss Sparkle?"

"Human? um... um... It means to be a species of fur-less, intelligent, primates?" she said nervously reaching for the ground as if looking for a book.

"A simple way of looking at it, but wholly correct. "

I opened my arms and looked to the sky.

"Being human is more than that."

I looked back at her.

"Humanity is our cultures, our views of the world, our tastes, our feelings, ... it is the fact we treasure what we learn from sadness and tragedy as much as from happiness and good fortune, and it is the struggle to do what's right when ill is so easy. When a human becomes a pony they lose most of these things and all that is left it a shard of personalty and some memories -- in other words, an echo of the human they once where."

"But... in a way isn't that a good thing? Your human society is violet and intolerant..."

I suddenly started to laugh, it was as if something in me had just snapped.

"Intolerant? Intolerant!? Now isn't that just the pot calling the kettle black. We humans may have problems with tolerance from time to time but let me tell you what true intolerance is."

I walked up to her and looked her in the eye.

"True Intolerance is the the disenfranchising of the my whole race and forced destruction of every culture but yours! That is intolerance!"

I took a deep breath and calmed down. I felt embarrassed as I looked upon her estranged and almost frighten face. I sat down.

"Sorry about that, Miss Sparkle."

We finished our meals and I took her to her room. Once I finished with the last of my work, I pulled out my grandfather's book and read it until was time to sleep.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I walked through the labs to the dorms, sipping my tea. The morning news told of new fights between the HLF and PER in the main cites. It seemed as if the whole world was going mad.

"Good morning, Director." said one of the scientist as he waved to me.

"Good morning to you too. Please be ready for the tour today."

"Tour?"

"For our foreign guest."

"Yes, sir." and he left.

I walked on to Twilight's room and knocked on her door.

"Good morning, Miss Sparkle. Are you ready for the tour?"

The door opened and a fully prepared and ... excited Twilight popped out.

"Yes, Mr. Freeman. Let's go." she said in a happy, almost singing tone.

"Um... yes, let's" I said as I started walking her to the labs.

I scratched my head as she started to hum.

"Miss. Sparkle?"

"Yes, Mr. Freeman?"

"Sorry about last night."

"Don't be Mr. Freeman. In fact I would like to hear more."