• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 6,464 Views, 228 Comments

A Knight to remember - Lusewing



When a knight and his squire get sent to a magical world, diffrent than the one they are used to, they will have to quickly adapt and learn to over come cultural, and language, problems if they are going to get back home.

  • ...
14
 228
 6,464

So the stories say.

Time flowed like a thick mud as Celestia struggled to convey her wishes, not knowing whether each step would be met with solid understanding or losing her footing in the whole ‘conversation’. They needed to move the current diplomatic meeting elsewhere and only one place could really give them all they needed. The Manehattan library would be filled with all manner of books, and being one of the largest port cities, it also boosted a large collection of literature and scrolls from other kingdoms as well. Other than the Canterlot library, which would require a great deal of traveling, there would be no better place to conduct this trial and error form of communication.

The elder’s flat face and small eyes made it’s facial expressions a little hard to read, but Celestia felt a moment of relief when she saw him grasp at the idea that there were more books in the city up ahead. At least, that was what she was hoping that was what had been realised. For all she knew the elder might think she was trying to tell him there were some of the creatures from his books within the city.

Dismissing her doubts about what she had managed to convey the princess watched as an expression of contemplation graced the alien face before her. Celestia watched patiently as he rubbed his beard with one of his hands, an action so like many of her own ponies when they were in thought, before eventually nodding and pointing in the city’s direction. Had she succeeded? She was hoping so, but so long as they started moving in the right direction they were making progress.

Celestia instructed a small group of Police and Royal guards to fly ahead and insure the city would be prepared to accept the princess and her guests, as well as making arrangements for private access to the library. Her hope was to turn this into a Royal visit, thus minimizing any panic her guests might cause. If the ponies of Manehattan believed that this was an arranged diplomatic meeting then it was far more likely that they would become more curious than fearful. This port city had proven to be one of the more accepting places within her kingdom, mostly due to its regular trading with the Griffins and Sea ponies.

Before they got underway there was however the small matter of the visiting party needing to pack up their supplies. Up until now the equipment, packs and an assortment of items had been left strune around the grass. Despite the smaller one’s efforts to keep things tidy, the larger always seemed to require less effort to disrupt the task. It was quite endearing to see the two interact. The elder was certainly in charge, Celestia, once again wished she knew their names, yet the younger one seemed perfectly capable of standing its ground when it felt the need. Many gestures were made with the use of their hands, and Celestia could only assume that these gestures were also a part of their language, something that would only hinder communications it it turned out to be true.

“Captain Mistral” Celestia spoke softly as she continued to watch the diplomats converse.

“Yes Princess”

“While we wait for our guests to prepare would you mind telling me everything you have observed since arriving here?”

*************

Sir Wallace and Gideon had debated for a short while on whether or not they should tack their horses and load their bags but, in the end, they found there was little choice in the matter. Neither of them would be able to carry all of their supplies for any length of time, and leaving them behind was out of the question. The thought of trying to ask the equines for their help did come up a few times but Sir Wallace did not want to spend any more time playing in the communication quagmire.

The next problem was if they should ride to their destination or walk. While it was true that none of their hosts had made any sort of fuss over the few times the horses had been carrying them, both of the humans still felt a little wary in openly using their mounts as beasts of burden. Wanting to waste as little time as possible, Sir Wallace decided that if their hosts did take offence to the treatment of their distant kin, then they would simply adjust their behaviour. Once mounted, and after making sure there was no protest or hostility towards their actions, the pair made their way to walk behind the queen’s carriage.

The walk would not be lengthy but all felt the buzzing uncertainty that hung in the air as they walked in relative silence. Duty, and even Honour, pulled at their rains a little more than usual.

“Sir. I really don’t like this.” Whispered Gideon, she knew the ponies could not understand her but talking in front of them still made her feel uneasy.

“A point you have already made clear a number of times Giddy. Just follow my lead and keep your thoughts guarded. I very much doubt these equines can read minds,” Sir Wallace watched as his squire’s face showed an appropriate level of worry.
“but they may be able to pick up emotions. The glamour the Queen used had been based around good feelings so, if we are lucky, that is as far as they can go. She also seemed to need close proximity.”

“No touching then.” Gideon committed this rule to memory. Even if she wanted to pet a couple of them. Their hair looked much finer than her own mount’s and she would have loved to find out just how soft it was.

“Just to be safe. I only hope that the Queen, or other royal equines, are the only ones who possesses that sort of magic. The pegasi certainly don’t seem to.” The knight took note that most of the winged ponies had remained on the ground, likely to keep pace with the carriage. It also let them save their strength if they needed to fly after anyone who might try and depart.

“Why is she so much bigger than the rest of them?” Gideon wanted to steer away from thoughts of mind reading and glamors, it made the hairs on the back of her neck twitch.

“Who knows. Maybe the royalty in this Kingdom is composed of the the Pegacorns and the smaller Pegasi are the common folk. It would be easy for the larger, magic using Queen and her kind to subdue the smaller ponies.” It made sense. Those with power or in power often used their lessers to perform tasks they themselves saw as beneath them. At this very moment a team of four pegasi were the ones pulling the carriage that held their Queen, even though she was perfectly able to travel without it.

“Things are never fair are they?”

“Its the way of the realms Giddy, for the most part it works. So long as the Pegacorns care for their charges. I imagine they are much safer from the dragons and griffons that also appear to be native to these lands and might see them as a snack.” Sir Wallace leaned over slightly and patted Honour on her neck before scanning the skies for any would be predator. The blue veil was thankfully clear of all but a few clouds.

The two rode in silence for a little while until they crested the top of a hill and the town started to come into view. It was still a good way off but the mounted pair could now see the town was far larger than they had first assumed. Its huge towers reached up into the sky, some even touching the clouds, while a mass of smaller buildings clustered beneath them. No walls stood to protect the vast port, but the sea cradled it from all sides. Only a lone bridge, briefly seen, stretched out to connect the island with the shore.

“Quite a sight hey Giddy?” Even Sir Wallace was impressed with their destination while he watched all but the tallest towers disappear behind the rolling landscape.

“It’s so big, is it the capital?” Gideon lifted her self in the saddle to try and keep the port in view but she still proved too short to compete with the hill now in front of them.

“It might be but I think its just a big trade port since the Pegacorn Queen arrived from the other direction.”

“I can’t say I’ve ever heard of a Pegacorn before, are they found in the mortal realm?” Gideon was not very good when it came to remembering all of the beasts and magical creatures. Sure it was easy to remember the main ones like the dragons, salamanders, ogres and griffins but when it came to remembering if it was the Naiads or the Napaeae nymphs that made their groves around spring water then she was lost.

“Not that I have heard, I just needed to call the Queen something other than ‘magical horse’ and that fit. I guess a Pegasus and a Unicorn might be able to produce a foal, there are some stories that say that the first pegasi were unicorns to begin with, but stories are stories and no one has seen a unicorn in the mortal realm for eons.”

“What happened to them?”

“Hmm, well I guess we have time for one of the stories. It certainly beats riding in silence. Truth be told, most blame us humans for the extinction of the unicorns. Their magical properties rivaled even those of a dragon and, the rarer they became, the more they were sought after.”

“They can’t have been that powerful if we managed to wipe them out.” snorted Gideon. She had seen that dragon only a few hours before, there was no way a horse with a horn could be more powerful. Not even this Queen would have stood a chance against it.

“You see thats the strange thing Giddy, unicorns were powerful, but around humans they seemed to weaken. It was rumored that single girl could bring one to its knees with just a touch. All of the races have their own tales to tell when it comes to the unicorn, but it was one of the elven stories that I most remember. I can’t tell it word for word but I can at least give you the jist of it. I guess the best place to start is from the beginning.” The knight cleared his throat and looked off into the distance as he let the story surface from his memories.

“When the Realms were new and the gods were young, they began to make things to fill their worlds with. At first came the elementals, beings created from the very hearts of the gods but they soon tired of them, for they did not have hearts of their own. In time Water and Air tried to create something together, to see what they could make combined, but no matter how hard they tried their creations never held together and would drift apart. Soon, Earth and Fire joined in, eager to try something new and add their strength, but still their creation failed and fell apart.

The gods were puzzled. Never before had they faced a challenge they could not overcome. Fire, with his temper, grew angry with the shapeless blob and tried to hold it together with only partial success. Not to be outdone the other gods joined in, each one pushing as hard as they could to hold their creation, and with each surge of strength the blob grew smaller and harder till at last they could move back and view what they made.

Before them lay a tiny egg, the first egg any of them had ever seen, for it was the first egg that had ever been. The four gods stood and watched to see what their new creation would do, but to their horror its beautiful surface soon became marred with cracks. The gods watched helpless as their hard work prove to be for nothing, their creation was simply not meant to be, they had failed and the egg shattered.

But from within the egg came two beings, one light and one dark.

‘Who are you?’ The gods asked

‘I am Life.’ Said the light one.

‘I am Death.’ said the dark one.

‘What is Life?’ Asked the gods .

‘I am your will, your strength, your pride. Your need to succeed and to be.’ Said Life.

‘What is Death?’ Asked the gods.

‘I am your limits, your weakness, your humility. Your acceptance of failure and need to give up.’ Said Death.

The newly born twin Gods looked before them and picked up their eggshell. Together they blew on the fragments and from the pieces came trees and plants and grass that spread across the worlds, and brought colour to the realms.

The gods were amazed at what the Twins could make. Eager to see more, Air reached to her head and gathered a few strands of her hair for them. Again the sisters blew together and from the hair came birds and all manner of creatures who fly in the sky.

Water and Earth quickly followed suit and soon the worlds were filled with so much life that the gods found themselves truly happy.

Fire watched. He did not like that Life and Death could do something he could not. He sent his fires to burn the trees, the plants and the grass. To burn the creatures of the earth, boil the creatures of the sea and choke the creatures of the air. Thus death came to the realms.

The other gods wept to see the beauty of life gone, but Death collected the ashes.

‘Do not cry.’ Said Death. ‘For what I take away, my sister will return.’ Death handed the ashes to her sister who began to sprinkle them back upon the realms to once more bring life back to the worlds. Fire tried to repeat his actions but the other gods used their own powers to fight him, flooding the land and cooling the seas but their very actions only served to bring death back and destroy what they were trying to save, even Fire grew sad to see the colours and creatures suffer and fade, but his pride would not let him give in.

After many eons the gods came to a truce. No longer would they battle upon the worlds. No longer would they see their creations destroyed and for a time there was peace.

But again the gods grew bored, as is their way. Earth asked the other gods to help him make something new. Water and Air both agreed but Fire’s pride was still sore and he refused. When the Twins blew upon the mix of earth, air and water a very new creature came into being, for these were the first Elves.”

“Wait a minute.” Interrupted Gideon “I thought you said Dwarves were the first race?”

“In the Dwarven story I told you they were the first race. This is an Elven story so of course they are going to tell it their way. Im sure if you looked hard enough through Ogre stories you would find tales that shows that they were the first race. In the end it doesn't really matter who was first. May I continue?”

“Are we getting to the part with the Unicorns yet?” Not that Gideon wasn’t enjoying the story, she just wanted to get to the part she was waiting on.

Sir Wallace laughed.

“We are nearly there now, just be glad I am giving you the shortened version, you know how much those elves like to go on. Right then where did I get to...Oh yes the elves.”

“The elves were different from the other creatures that roamed the lands. For they could change the shape of the land, master the oceans and call on the winds to help their arrows fly true. Only fire would not obey them for fire was not a part of them.

The Fire god once again grew jealous but he was no longer allowed to work his magic on the worlds. Instead he asked the other gods to help him make a creature like the elves and all but Water agreed, for Water and Fire never got along. However, into the mix of earth and air Fire added a piece of his very heart in the hope that this creature would be greater than the elves and be his to control and guide. Thus from the mix rose the Dragons.

Many more races were created but soon the gods grew more interested in influencing their creations and watching them, then making new life. Thus Life and Death were forgotten.

Death did not mind, for she had always been humble, but Life had the pride of the gods within her. She felt that she did not need the others, she could create something all herself; and so, reaching into her own heart she took a piece and breathed on to it , but nothing happened. Lothed to ask the others for help Life searched the lands until she came across a single shard of the shell that had once held her and her sister, a single tiny sliver they must have missed. To this she added the piece of her heart and breathed upon it, creating the first Unicorns.

These graceful, beautiful beasts enchanted all who saw them, including the gods but the Unicorns proved to be too powerful and too proud for Death had had no part in their creation and thus they had no limit. With the power of life at their control and the magic granted to them by the shard of the first egg, the unicorns began to alter those around them. Even the dragons, who were also made from the heart of a god, were forced to bend to their will.

The gods pleaded with Life to control her creation, but unicorns would not listen to her guidance, and the truce of the war prevented any god for using their powers directly upon the worlds, even her. Eventually Life sort the counsel of her sister.

‘I will do what I can.’ Said Death. She asked for a single strand of hair from each of the gods and from herself she added, not her heart, but her tears.

‘Now we must breathe it into being my sister, but you must only give it a whisper of a breath.’ Life listened to Death and only gave a small amount of her being. And so, from the mix came the last creature. Humans.”

“So the unicorns are life and we are basically Death’s creations?” Gideon sounded horrified at the prospect. Sir Wallace on the other hand gave a sigh of mild frustration at being interrupted, again.

“Giddy its a story, an Elven story at that, and you know most of their early works hardly depict humans in a good light. Besides, out of all the ruling races we are by far the shortest lived, I guess it just made sense to them to think that we had been touched by death. Now no more interruptions, I’m almost at the end.” Sir Wallace waited to see if his squire had anything more to say on the matter but he held his tongue.

“It was not for many years till the unicorns and the humans met, and in that time the short lived race had already built a kingdom. The unicorns were at first delighted at the thought of another race to improve upon but the closer they got to the kingdom the weaker they became and soon they began to fear the humans. Retreating into forests where they could hide. But humans spread quickly and brought death wherever they went, through wars or hunts. Soon nowhere was safe.

The unicorns at last learned death and they were afraid. They pleaded with Life, whom they had once ignored, but she would not help them. So instead they turned to the other gods. Each god promised to help so long as they would give up their horn, the source of their power, for it was made from the shard of the first egg, and to those that agreed the gods gave a gift. From Air, they grew wings and became the Pegasi. From Earth, they grew antlers and became the Golden Hinds. From Water they grew fins and became the Hippocampi. Only Fire would not help, as he would not forgive the unicorns for deforming many of his dragons into mere shadows of themselves for they now roamed the land as salamanders and sand worms.

The last of the unicorns, who refused the aid of the gods, were caught one by one by the humans who saw fit to take their horns for themselves. Eventually even riding them and using them as beasts of burden until finally, the death that the humans carried within, seeped into the very being of these unicorns, forever changing them into horses. The End.”

“Well that was rather grim. Are all elven tales so dark?” Gideon just felt sorry for the unicorns now. She even felt bad about riding Duty in a way. Was he really descended from unicorns?

“Isn’t there some sort of happy ending?”

“Few stories have happy endings Giddy, even in our culture. And though I very much doubt we are the product of a death god, sometimes you can find grains of truths in stories. The fact that unicorns have been over hunted is true, so maybe some Unicorns and Pegasi some how managed to flee here and have ended up flourishing cut off from the rest of the realms.”

“You could have just said that, it would have been a lot quicker.”

“Then how would we have passed the time.” Sir Wallace laughed again and Gideon did have to admit that her knight had a good point. Finally giving her surrounding more attention she could now see that they were not far off from the bridge that would lead them to the giant port town. Something looked off though.

“Um, Sir, what is that bridge made of?”

Sir Wallace frowned in confusion before turning his own attention towards the bridge.

“...That can’t be right.” Forgetting where he was for a moment Sir Wall kicked Honour on into a trot, breaking away from the train of pony guards and towards the massive bridge that now lay ahead of them. Not wanting to be left behind Gideon followed behind him, after all he had told her to follow his lead. The surrounding pint sized pegasi stopped and shifted, unsure with what they should do. It was unnerving but since they did not move to stop either of them Gideon felt herself a little relieved to be away from the guards, if only by a short distance. The problem was that she knew, sooner rather than later, they would have to return.

“Sir shouldn’t we get…”

“This can’t be real.” The words were clearly aimed towards himself as the knight struggled to come to terms with what he was seeing. Gideon soon realise that Sir Wallace was not even listening to her at this point. His focus totally upon the structure before him.

The bridge was huge with only a single set of supports holding the massive length in suspension above the water. Further supports spread out like fingers from the top of the pillars to cradle the middle section of the bridge.

“The metal should be buckling under its own weight.”

“Sir.” Gideon tried again but found herself ignored

“Good grief. Its been painted, the entire structure is covered with paint” The knight was now patting one of the protective barriers as though too much pressure might bring the whole thing down.

“ SIR WALLACE.” Finally, after shouting at him, Gideon got his attention.

“I think they want us back in line.” Gideon pointed back towards the line of guards and gilded carriage that had all quickened their pace to catch up to the runaways. Many pairs of eyes were currently on the both of them and half the pegasi were now in the air, clearly preparing to move in if needed.

“Yes, right. Of course.” Gideon watched as her mentor gave the bridge a few more glances before they returned to their position behind the carriage. The Queen actually stepped out of her moveable throne when they drew close and even Gideon could read that she was both concerned and confused. The two acknowledged her, but there was no way to explain their actions.

“I don't see what’s so strange about the bridge Sir, its attached to both sides and looks more than strong enough to hold. Its made out of metal and stone right?” Gideon knew she must be missing something, be for the life of her she could not see what it was.

“It’s too big, thats what is wrong with it. Metal and stone might be strong but they are also heavy. Too much weight and the metal bends, the stone brakes.” Yet here is was standing tall and strong, Sir Wallace added to himself.

“So its magic then?”

“I guess it must be,” Sighed the knight, disappointed that yet another piece of knowledge was denied him.

“but by the gods I know some humans, and even some dwarfs, who would love to go over that thing with a fine toothed comb to find out how it stays standing against its own weight, least of all the wind and sea.” Surely there had to be some way to unlock the bridge’s secrets and bring them back to the mortal realm. It could change the very essence of how things were constructed! Why, this method must have also been applied to the many towers that filled the town, helping them to stand strong and tall. There was just so much to learn.

*************

“Now what do you suppose that was all about?” Asked Celestia as she watched the diplomats return to their position behind her.

“Maybe they have never seen a bridge before Princess.” replied Steadfast, who was keeping a close eye on their ‘guests’. So far they had been fairly amenable, even with their constant chattering, but the stallion did not like variables and these mountain horses and their bipeds were just too unpredictable, not to mention big.

“If a bridge is going to cause that much interest then they are in for a shock when we hit the main city.” Chuckled Celestia, for even she often had to marvel at the new innovations that her little ponies came up with.

Author's Note:

OK, yes, I know this took far too long to come out but, better late than never right? The truth of the matter is that most of my creative time has been spent on an audio adventure since I am not only one of the voice actors but I also help out with the script and provide a lot of the artwork that will accompany it. Its a lot of fun but also very time consuming.

Anyway enough excuses, what does everyone think of this chapter?