• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 1,064 Views, 31 Comments

The Mare Who Cried Monster. - ChromeRegios



Telling false stories.. may lead to trouble~

  • ...
2
 31
 1,064

Chapter 1

I love to scare my friends, Fluttershy and Scootaloo. I tell them scary stories about monsters until they both beg me to stop. And I’m always teasing them by pretending to see monsters everywhere.

I guess that’s why no one believed me the day I saw a real monster. I guess that’s why no one believed me until it was too late, and the monster was right in my friend’s house!

Although… I rather not tell the ending of my story at the very begging, no way!

I’m Rainbow Dash. I’m sure you all know me since I’m soon to be a wonder bolt member! I live in Ponyville at my ‘ol cloud mansion~ er… I mean, house...whatever you call it!

I always wonder why some towns had “ville” on its end… plus the “pony”… I mean, sure everypony knows that… but what I don’t get is the “ville” thing… what the hay is that supposed to be? Whatever and I don’t care much for the name of our town… I love it no matter what it’s called…

I sometimes go down to town and hang out with my friends, especially Fluttershy and Scootaloo. We always sit around an old sassafras tree in the middle of the park. It’s cool and shady under the tree. That’s where I like to sit with Shy and Scoots when there’s nothing better to do, and see if I can scare the jeepers off of them! It’s not hard really… Shy’s very easy to scare, but Scoots is by far the most sacredly pony I know of.

Anyway, one hot afternoon a couple of weeks ago, Fluttershy and I were sitting under the old sassafras tree, and I was getting ready to scare her to death when Scootaloo came by.

“Hi, Dashie! Hi, Shy!” She waved at us as she drove by with her little scooter.

“Hey, Scoots! Care to join my little story time?” I asked her as she trots next to Fluttershy.

“...Whaddaya have in mind..?” Scootaloo leans near Fluttershy.

I grinned and thought that this was perfect for a very hot afternoon. As soon as summer came around this year and school let out for the fillies like Scootaloo. Most of my friends went for a vacation, namely Pinkie Pie, Apple Jack and Rarity. Only me, Twilight and Fluttershy were at our own homes doing nothing… and I was stuck at home, and I was pretty lonely.

Fluttershy is sometimes a kill joy, since she always cries loudly and begs me to stop, but…I'll try to keep the scaring to a minimal...… you know, for the fun of it?

I have a really good imagination; maybe I’ll be a writer when I have the chance. I really don’t have my mind set on that kind of hobby ,but what I do know is that it doesn’t take a whole lot of imagination to frighten the both of them.

Poor girls. I can even make their teeth chatter. It’s unbelievable. Well, for Fluttershy… but for Scootaloo? Gee whiz!

I leaned back against the smooth part of the tree trunk and rested my hooves on the grass, closing my eyes. I was dreaming up a good story for the two of them.

The grass felt soft and moist against my bare hooves as I dug my them into the dirt.

Shy and Scootaloo sat side by side to each other. I almost thought that they’re like mother and daughter together. Scoots was laying there on her side plucking up blades of grass with her hoof.

“Did you ever hear about the Ponyville Ground Grabber?” I asked them, brushing a leaf on my mane.

“Huh?” Scootaloo kept pulling up blades of grass one by one, making a little pile… while Fluttershy looked at me tilting her head in curiosity.

“There was this monster called the Ponyville Ground Grabber,” I told both of them.

“Oh, please, Dashie,” Fluttershy said in a low tone. “You said you w-woudn’t make up any m-more monster stories.”

“Yeah, Dashie!” Scootaloo looked up slightly towards me.

“No I’m not!” I told them. “This story isn’t made up. It’s true!”

Scootaloo looked and made a face at me. “Yeah. Sure.” She said, while Fluttershy was still wondering what kind of creature I just mentioned earlier.

“No. Really,” I insisted, staring hard into their eyes so they’d know I was sincere. “This is a true story. It really happened. Here. In Ponyville.”

Fluttershy rolled up into a sitting position. “I think I’ll go feed my animals,” She said, as she flaps her wings and stretches.

“Me too, I think I’ll help Fluttershy.” Scootaloo said, tossing down a hoof full of grass.

Fluttershy has a large animal pen near her cottage. Some were small critters, some were huge… but all the same, they all care for her and she cares for them...… and they’re not too scary for her.

“The Ground Grabber showed up one day right at Apple Bloom’s,” I told them both. I knew once I started the story, they wouldn’t leave.

“At the farm?!” Scootaloo asked, her eyes growing wide. Fluttershy looked at me with the same expression on her face.

“Yeah. He arrived in the middle of the afternoon. The Ground Grabber isn’t a night monster, you see. He’s a day monster. He strikes when the sun is high in the sky. Just like now.” I pointed up through the shimmering tree leaves to the sun, which was high overhead in a clear summer-blue sky.

“A d-day m-monster?” Fluttershy asked stammering at her sentence.

“C-come on, Dashie. You’re j-joshing us, right?” Scootaloo said, as Fluttershy and herself looked over at Sweet Apple Acres which was just in view from where we were.

“Don’t be scared. It happened a couple of summers ago,” I continued. “Apple Bloom and Bab Seed were over there. They were having fun, playing tag and all. You know. In that big ol’ yard of theirs…”

“And the m-monster c-came?” Fluttershy asked.

“A Ground Grabber,” I told him, keeping my expression very serious and lowering my voice nearly to a whisper. “A Ground Grabber came crawling across their yard.”

“Where’d he come from?” Scootaloo asked, as the both of them leaned together towards me.

I shrugged. “Nopony knows. You see, the thing about Ground Grabbers is they’re very hard to see when they crawl across grass... because they camouflage themselves the exact color of the grass.”

“You mean they’re like my friend Leon, the Chameleon? W-well they’re probably not so bad…” Fluttershy forced a smile on her face.

I shook my head. “Well yeah they are, but they’re much bigger than a Chameleon, and not that friendly at all. They’re only green when they creep and crawl over the grass,” I replied. “They change their color to match what they’re walking on. So you can’t see them.”

“Well, how big is he, really??” Scootaloo asked thoughtfully.

“Big,” I said. “Bigger than Winona.” I watched an ant crawl to my hoof, then flicked it off. “Nopony really knows how big he is because this monster blends in so well.”

“So what happened?” Scootaloo asked, sounding a little breathless. While Fluttershy hid under her wing. “I mean to Apple Bloom and Bab Seed.” Again they both glanced over to Sweet Apple Acres.

“Well, they were in their yard,” I continued. “You know, chasing around and about, playing tag with each other. And I guess Babs was running around not letting Apple Bloom catch her as the monster scampered over the yard nearly invisible... and it spotted Babs running towards him.”

“A-and… and… Babs didn’t see the monser!?” Fluttershy and Scootaloo asked in unison.

I could see Fluttershy was starting to get real pale and trembly, while Scootaloo’s eyes narrowed and trembled in fear as well, because of course, Babs is one of her close friends.

“Ground Grabbers are just so hard to see,” I said, keeping my eyes locked on Scootaloo and Fluttershy’s, keeping my face very straight and solemn.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Just to build up suspense. Then I continued my story. “Babs didn’t notice anything at first. Then she felt a soft… mushy thing as she ran. She thought she stepped on something so she stopped and looked down. She tries to feel it again, and there it was… soft, mushy, yet moist feeling run to her hoof. But then, suddenly the ground moved… she then looks down to look at it closely then suddenly…” I stopped and waited for one of them asks.

“Wh-what?” They both asked in unison, in both a shaky voice. “What happened?”

I leaned forward to them bringing them close to me and brought my mouth close to their ears, then whispered. “She was dragged down to a dark hole… AND EATEN!” I shouted at the last sentence.

“NOOO!!!!” The both of them screamed. They both jumped up to their hooves. They were as pale as ghosts, and they looked really scared… especially Fluttershy.

“That’s not true!” Scootaloo almost cried at the spot.

I shook my head solemnly. I forced myself not to crack a smile just yet. “Ask Apple Bloom where Babs is now…” I told them. “See if she’ll tell you without crying…”

“No! You’re lying!” Scootaloo wailed.

“Ask her,” I said softly.

And then I stood up and walked backwards, just then… I stopped after a few steps and looked at them with eyes popped wide with horror. “S-Scootallo, F-Fluttershy...” I stammered and looked at them frozen in my place… as I fell down a deep hole and shouted for help at them.

Fluttershy and Scootaloo hugged eachother and uttered a deafening scream when they saw me fall down the dark hole…

I was no longer in front of them as they hear a loud growl coming from the hole I fell from…