• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 4,627 Views, 65 Comments

The Sun may Rise, but the Daughter reigns. - Hipster Pony Raven Horn



Celestia has a secret in her past, one she has tried to push to the shadows. But Discord takes a quick visit after his reform, and ends up opening old wounds.

  • ...
6
 65
 4,627

Chaos at Dawn

Luna and I have finally defeated Discord; the land of Equestria is thanking us hoof over head. I have to admit though, I feel sorrow. Though the citizens are overly grateful, praising their new ‘princesses’, a part of me feels remorse. I think Luna has her suspicions. She may be young but she has a certain insight at times. Discord was the first, well, he isn’t exactly a pony so I guess I’m going to have to adjust my word usage. Discord was the first creature that seemed to accept me. Even though negotiations broke down (in part I think due to Luna’s temper), I still think Discord was more receptive to what we were talking about than any of us really wanted to admit aloud. Then there was the… thing. He knew, and he’d often use it as a jab towards me. The teasing always seemed to irritate Luna, possibly because she always wanted to protect me. Still, despite his ribbings, his teasing, his jokes, he still treated me in a way that I had longed to be treated my whole life. He treated me in a way that only Luna ever had after somepony someone found out. I hope that one day, in the future, I’ll be able to find the right pony to be able to help Discord. I feel that there is good in him, that he really understands. I know if I voiced these opinions to Luna she’d scoff at me. To her if somepony, or someone (again I have to be mindful of Discord not really being a pony), did something wrong then they shouldn’t be forgiven. Though her temper does worry me at times, I hope no ill comes of it.

--Excerpt from Princess Celestia’s personal diary, volume 2--


I sighed slightly, easing myself onto an oversized pillow in my study. It had been a tiring day, reassuring the court that Discord had been reformed for the third time since his official declaration to me. My horn tingled with the glow of magic as my teacup levitated towards me. I smiled after taking a sip, feeling the warming sensation of the tea in my throat. I really treasured these brief moments of peace. I hummed to myself, floating over a large book with a quill clamped inside of it. I smiled, cracking the book open, starting to write down my thoughts.

‘Well well well my dear Celestia, you must be committed to the role if you’re keeping a diary.’ My quill paused. I recognised that voice. I closed my eyes, chuckling a bit. ‘You have quite the collection here, but only three-hundred forty eight volumes? I would have thought you would have written more, what with the most interesting life you have lead. The unique challenges you’ve faced.’

‘Discord, I assume you have a reason why you’re coming to visit me in my private chambers,’ I said, finishing up my thought in the book.

‘Well my dear Celestia, I just want to spend some time with you,’ Discord said. I looked around to see him going through one of my diaries. ‘I just want to know you better. After all, I am in your debt.’

‘Discord, it isn’t polite to read through a lady’s diaries,’ I scolded, raising one of my eyebrows.

‘Oh of course, pardon me. I forgot you are a lady now aren’t you? Though from this you sometimes forget that too, don’t you Princess?’ Discord smirked as he closed the book. It vanished, returning to its proper place on the shelf. ‘Very interesting, how you still doubt yourself after all this time.’

I closed my eyes, a slight flush on my face. ‘Discord, if you only came to tease me about my past then I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to leave.’

‘Oh but my dear Celestia, you really can’t be sore at me?’ He chuckled a bit, sounding a bit hurt. ‘I mean, I’m here accepting you for who you are. I’m not like those ungrateful parents of yours, who never would understand.’

My eyes shot open, glaring at where Discord was sitting, or where he was sitting last. When I failed to spot him sitting in the chair I turned my head in search for him. ‘Discord, don’t talk about my parents like that. You have no right to-’

‘To what? Make an observation? Tell you the truth? Come now princess, you should know me well enough that I do lots of things you say I have no right to do.’ I twisted my head around to look at the draconequus who was lounging on my back, shrunk down to more easily fit.

I stood, shifting so that Discord would slide off my back. ‘Discord, I have great respect for my parents, they did their best to-’

‘Raise you? Then answer me my dear, if you really respected them that much why did you run away?’ I gritted my teeth, breathing heavily. I opened my mouth to speak, but Discord only shrugged. ‘I’m only trying to help. You can’t keep running away from these things you know.’

‘Discord, I’m going to have to ask you to leave now.’ I was trying to hold back the anger in my voice.

‘Very well, just think about it.’ Discord said, shrugging and turning to face away from me. ‘After all I’m reformed now, I need to help those who need it. A damsel in distress, or so to speak.’ And with a snap of his fingers he was gone within a flash of light.

Even after Discord had gone I continued to stand, staring at the place he had been. I couldn’t believe him, so nonchalantly talking that way about my mother and father. The nerve of him. I shook my head, getting up and starting to pace around my room. My parents were good, hard-working ponies. They just… didn’t always understand. I didn’t want to leave them, but Luna and I both agreed that it would be the best.

I loved my mom, she was always there when I needed her. And Dad… well he did teach me the basics of magic. And they both would tuck me in at night when I was just a foal. My heart sunk at the thought of them, and at the thought of what Discord had told me. What if, what if it was all just some sort of fantasy? What if I was really just deluding myself, and I should have never left my parents. What if I should have stayed as their son…

I sighed, collapsing on my pillow. Look at yourself Celestia, moping like a little filly. The thought only served to bring me down more. You’re the princess of the most powerful nation in the world, thousands of ponies look up to you. Think about how Twilight would feel if you just gave up. My eyes stung as I closed them. But what if... what if everything that I thought I was, everything I am. What if it is all a lie? How am I supposed to live with myself? Why should anypony look up to me if I’ve been lying to everypony for over a thousand years. How would Twilight look up to me if I told her the truth. Oh Luna, will there be anyone I wouldn’t be afraid of telling other than you? Luna… The thought sprang to my mind. She had always been a source of comfort to me, my younger sister who was always there to help me when we still lived with Mom and Dad.

I got to my hooves, using my magic to wipe my eyes free of tears. I’ll go talk with Luna, she always knows what to say. Yeah, I’ll go talk with Luna. She’ll be able to help me with this. I was going to have a talk with my sister. The topic? One I thought I had buried long ago.