• Published 9th Feb 2013
  • 8,044 Views, 752 Comments

Scootaloo the Fugitive - Kaidan



Scootaloo grew up at an orphanage ran by Gerda. The old hag clipped Scootaloo's wings last time she tried to escape. Years later, she finally escapes and ends up in Ponyville. Will she stop running from her past long enough to enjoy her new life

  • ...
23
 752
 8,044

9. Who am I to Disagree?

Dash landed on the porch to her cloud house with Scootaloo curled up on her back. Stepping in and closing the door, she headed upstairs to her bedroom. She had a large bed made out of a special grade of cloud that was softer, and yet firm enough that you couldn't push completely through it. Carefully, she leaned over and managed to slide Scootaloo off with her wing. Taking a step back, she noticed the filly shivering. It took Dash a moment to realize why, at this altitude it could get quite cold. She couldn't really close the windows of a cloud house, pegasi had adapted to be used to the cold and the altitude. Scootaloo had lived her whole life on the ground, and wasn't used to this yet.

Dash rummaged around through her closets until she found a blanket folded up in a box. Dash smiled as she looked at the forgotten heirloom. Her father had given her this blanket after an airshow. It was light blue, adorned with several lightning bolts and the distinctive figures of several Wonderbolts. She had used it until she moved out to live in Ponyville. Smiling, she took it over to Scootaloo and gently wrapped her up until only her head and mane were sticking out. Scootaloo grinned in her sleep, and then opened her mouth and let out a gentle yawn.

Dash stood there for a moment just watching her sleep, as the hectic day caught up to her. She knew if she had to do it all again, she would have done the exact same thing. Dash had been loyal to her friends to a fault, often threatening to run ponies out of town for being a spy. When she realized how much Scootaloo meant to her, she had not hesitated to protect her. There was something more to it though, Dash realized. When she looked at Scootaloo, she saw herself as a filly. She had never known the gentle love of a mother, never had a sister. Dash would protect Scootaloo not just from cruel ponies, but from loneliness as well.

The adoption had been sudden, and her actions swift to protect Scootaloo. When Twilight sent the letter detailing the secret life of Scootaloo, at the hands of Gerda, Celestia had promised to arrest Gerda if she returned to Canterlot. While the officers of Ponyville may not have trusted Scootaloo's word, Celestia trusted the Elements of Harmony completely. Dash was willing to protect her friends at any cost, but it was not until she had defended Scootaloo that she realized she would gladly die to spare the filly pain. Was this what it meant to be a mother, to love another more than yourself?

Yawning loudly, Dash realized how sore her muscles were. She had exhausted herself with her show of pegasus magic earlier, reaching near supersonic speeds before decelerating and slamming into the ground. The shockwave created undoubtedly looked awesome. She'd have to ask the other ponies about that some time. Right now though, the only thought left was sleep. Dash climbed into the bed next to Scootaloo, and pulled up some cloud to act as a pillow. Looking at the filly, she suddenly felt the urge to pull her in close and never let her go. She slid over and pulled the filly against her chest and slid a wing over her.

Scootaloo was warm now in the blanket, and Dash could feel the rise and fall of her chest through the loose blanket. Every so often a leg would twitch, or a wing would flap under the blanket. Her eyes were moving around under the eyelids and Dash fell asleep thinking about what wonderful dream Scootaloo must be having.


Scootaloo had sweet dreams of being crowned a princess, and having everypony love her as much as Dash did. She never had to be alone again, and became a Wonderbolt. Stirring under the blankets, she felt a wing reflexively pull her in tighter. Opening her eyes, she saw that it was morning now. She slowly realized that Dash had fallen asleep holding her close and keeping her warm. Scootaloo smiled, and nuzzled Dash. She saw Dash start to stir, and quickly closed her eyes and rested her head against Dash's chest. She could hear her heart beating, and Scootaloo wanted this moment to go on forever. Laying still, Scootaloo waited to drift back to sleep in the protective embrace of her new mother, sister, and best friend.


Dash felt something stirring around and flexed her wing. She felt something come in close and start nuzzling her. Stretching her legs gently, she opened an eye to see who was in bed with her. She saw Scootaloo and happy memories of their brief time together came back to her. Scootaloo had curled up closer to Dash and appeared to still be sleeping. Smiling, Dash closed her eyes and rested her head above Scootaloo's head. Dash would stay here perfectly still, so long as Scootaloo was happily asleep in her embrace. Dash never realized how special it would be to have a daughter, sister, and best friend all in one.


The pair slept peacefully until late into the afternoon. At one point Fluttershy came to check on them, and saw the pair curled up together in bed. It melted her heart to see the two of them sleeping there. Dash, finally opening up to somepony, and Scootaloo, getting the love she deserved. Fluttershy quietly glided down to the library to let everypony know they were doing just fine.

Author's Note:

Short chapter as I'm exhausted from work, so I cranked the feels to 11 and the 'daaaw' to 12.
Next Time: The preening / flying lessons I promised for this chapter. I want to do her first flying lesson justice, and my own bed had been beckoning me for the past hour :)

Here's a fun challenge. Can anyone identify each Title Pun? How about each reference to another Fan Fic?