• Published 26th Jan 2012
  • 14,891 Views, 155 Comments

Butterflies In Her Stomach - BrassHeart



Fluttershy tries to figure out her feelings for Big Macintosh.

  • ...
17
 155
 14,891

Director's Cut: Chapter 1

Butterflies In Her Stomach: Director's Cut: Chapter 1

Fluttershy wearily pushed the door to her cottage closed behind her, and let out a tired sigh. She carefully wriggled her way out of her brown vest, and folded it up so it would be ready to use again during next year’s Winter Wrap-Up.

“I think I’m starting to see why animals love to hibernate so much,” Fluttershy said to herself as she stored the vest in her closet. “I feel like I could sleep for a month.”

The closet door clicked shut, and Fluttershy screamed. A familiar pink mare had been standing behind the door, out of Fluttershy’s sight. “Hiya, Fluttershy!” Pinkie said cheerfully.

“Puh-Pinkie!” Fluttershy squeaked. “Wh-when did you get here?”

“Just a second ago!” Pinkie said, still grinning. “Sorry if I scared you!”

“It’s… it’s fine,” Fluttershy said as her heart rate started to go down to normal, not-terrified levels. “Um, is there something you need? I was just about to go to bed…”

Pinkie gasped. “Bed? Now?

“It’s past midnight…”

“Actually, it’s eleven fifty-nine,” Pinkie said matter-of-factly. “Hold on, now it’s midnight. But that’s not the issue here!”

“Then what is the issue?” Fluttershy asked.

“Thanks to Twilight’s super-duper organizationismal skills, this is the earliest we’ve ever finished Winter Wrap-Up! Like, in the history of Ponyville! So, we’re celebrating with a brand new festival!” Pinkie announced. “Why would you want to be in bed when you could be PARTYING!”

“Because I’ve been working since sunrise…” Fluttershy said meekly.

“Irrelephant!” Pinkie snapped. “Come on, Fluttershy, why don’t you stop by for just a little while? It’ll be fun!”

“Pinkie, I don’t know…” Fluttershy said, trying not to meet her friend’s gaze.

“Pleeeaaaaassseee?” Pinkie begged, dropping to Fluttershy’s hooves and looking up at her with big, tear-filled, blue eyes. Fluttershy gulped, trying with all her might to resist, but it was no use.

Fluttershy sighed. “Just a little while, okay? I really would like to get some-”

“Awesome! Let’s go!” Pinkie said, not letting Fluttershy finish her sentence before grabbing her. Fluttershy felt an odd tugging sensation, as if her entire body was being pulled away by something, and then…

“Wh-wh-what?”

They were standing in the middle of Ponyville.

“Bu-but we were just… at my house… what just…” Fluttershy stammered, trying to make some sense of this new development.

“And now we’re here!” Pinkie said as if that explained everything. “So, what do you wanna do? We’ve got snacks, pin-the-tail-on-the-pony, dancing… Ooh, I bet you wanna dance!”

Fluttershy started looking at her surroundings. Yes, this was undoubtedly smack-dab in the center of Ponyville, which was, as Pinkie had said, in the middle of a festival. There were ponies milling about with smiles on their faces, a group of local musicians were on a raised stage plying their craft, a crowd of ponies dancing in time with the music… Pinkie had truly outdone herself.

“Um, I don’t know if I want to… I mean, I’m not very good at…” Fluttershy said, but was quickly drowned out by Pinkie’s over-exuberance.

“Oh, don’t worry, it’ll be fun! Wait right here, and I’ll get you somepony to dance with!” Pinkie said, hopping off into the crowds. Fluttershy’s eyes widened.

“S-somepony to d-d-dance with?” She repeated, her voice trembling. She gulped, and took a few deep, calming breaths. “M-maybe this won’t be so bad. I mean, Pinkie wouldn’t try to make me feel embarrassed on purpose…”

“I’m back! And look who I brought!” Pinkie announced, popping up behind Fluttershy. The pegasus squeaked in surprise, and turned around to face Pinkie and the pony she’d brought with her.

He was big, he was red, he was wearing a yoke, and Fluttershy knew exactly who he was.

In the space of a second, the blood in her veins turned to ice and fire, her heart thumped in her ears, and her heart dropped into her stomach.

Of all the ponies in Ponyville, Pinkie had to choose him.

“You remember Big Mac, right?” Pinkie asked, gesturing at the mountainous earth pony.

Fluttershy tried to say something, but the only thing that came out was a small squeak. She cast her gaze to her hooves, dead set on not meeting Big Macintosh’s eyes.

“Mac, you remember Fluttershy, don’t you?” Pinkie asked, turning her attention away from the terrified pegasus.

“Ee…” Big Mac’s voice came out at a higher pitch than he was accustomed to. He cleared his throat. “Eeyup.”

There was silence for a few moments. Pinkie glanced between the two ponies, noticing that Fluttershy was staring at the ground with an expression of both terror and embarrassment, and that Big Mac was idly kicking at the ground, looking everywhere but at Fluttershy.

“Oh-kay,” Pinkie finally said, smashing the silence apart. “No need for introductions, then, so I’ll just get out of your way so you can both start cuttin’ a rug! That is such a weird saying.”

And with that, she bounced away, only looking back once. She grimaced. “Pinkamena Diane Pie, methinks you may have reeeaaally figged up this time,” She said to herself.

The silence between Fluttershy and Big Macintosh dragged on for several minutes, but Fluttershy could have sworn it felt longer.

Finally, Big Macintosh broke the silence by clearing his throat again. “So, uh…” He said, choosing his words as carefully as he could. “It’s… been a while.”

“M…mhmm,” Fluttershy mumbled. “Since the, um, the blizzard.”

“Still mighty grateful for that, ma’am,” Big Mac said. His eyes widened. “I mean, uh, m-miss.”

“J-just Fluttershy’s fine,” Fluttershy said to the ground. “I-if you want to, I mean. I’m not saying you should call me Fluttershy, but…” She trailed off.

“A-alright, then,” Big Mac said. “Mi – uh, Fluttershy.”

There it was again. Fluttershy’s heart pumped harder than normal, and it felt like her stomach had dropped out of her body. All he’d done was say her name. How was he doing this to her?

The music stopped, and for a brief moment, Fluttershy was terrified she’d gone deaf. Then she heard the other dancers stomping in appreciation, and the band prepared to start their next song.

Up on the raised stage, one of the musicians, a blue earth pony with a bridged pair of eighth notes on his side, stepped forwards, a shining saxophone held in his hooves. With a practiced motion, he stood up on his hind legs, put his instrument to his lips, and started to play.

It was a soft, slow jazz number that Blues led the other musicians in playing, and Fluttershy noticed the crowd of dancers had all partnered up for a slow dance.

“So, uh,” Big Macintosh coughed. “I don’t think Miss Pinkie’s gon’ let us leave ‘til we get at least one dance, so…” He shakily held out a hoof to Fluttershy. “Sh-sh-shall we?”

Fluttershy peeked out from behind her mane, looking at Big Mac’s outstretched hoof as if it was an irate viper. Realizing that he had a point, she nodded uneasily, and put her hoof on top of his.

Once, when she was young, Fluttershy had accidentally flown through a storm cloud. Actually, it was more like she fell through a storm cloud. She could still remember how it had felt: as if every part of her body was made out of lightning, giving her goosebumps that didn’t fade away for hours.

Touching Big Macintosh felt almost exactly the same. Like a jolt of electricity running up her leg. But unlike the storm cloud incident, this felt good. And Fluttershy had no idea why.

“I’m n-not very good at dancing,” Fluttershy said, raising herself up to her hind legs.

“’S alright. I’m not much good m’self,” Big Macintosh said.

Fluttershy thanked the Fates that the music was slow; if they had been moving any faster, things would have gotten messy. Fluttershy’s legs wobbled, unused to standing like this, even less used to dancing, and in no way prepared for the strange effects of Big Macintosh. Fluttershy kept her eyes on the ground, and for the most part, so did Big Mac.

Fluttershy caught some motion out of the corner of her eye, and she glanced upwards briefly to see Big Macintosh slowly leaning towards her. Her heart promptly decided to stop beating.

Fluttershy’s mind was running at a mile a minute as she tried to process what was happening. ‘Oh goodness no what is he doing is he going to no of course not what do I do what do I do PANIC.’ With her decision made, she acted, and quickly pushed herself away from Big Mac, not thinking about the outcome.

Fluttershy teetered backwards and fell, landing on her back. She quickly opened her mouth to apologize, but she found that it was clamped shut at the sight of Big Macintosh similarly losing his balance and falling forwards.

So this is how it ends,’ Fluttershy thought as Big Mac fell slowly. ‘In my next life, I hope I’m born a turtle.

She clenched her eyes shut, waiting for the inevitable impact. There was a pair of heavy clumps, and the sound of Big Macintosh sighing in relief. Fluttershy opened her eyes, confused as to why she wasn’t as flat as a flapjack.

Big Macintosh was standing over her, all four hooves on the ground. Fluttershy started breathing again. Of course he hadn’t fallen. It would have been easy for him to simply stop his fall with his front legs. And now he was standing over her, looking down at her with concern, and…

Th-thump.

“Y’ alright?” Big Mac asked, stepping away from Fluttershy so she could stand.

Fluttershy wanted to respond to the simple question, to tell him that she was perfectly fine, thank you, but she couldn’t. Her mouth was refusing to work for her. Her heart was trying to hammer itself out of her ribcage. Her face felt like it was on fire. She couldn’t pry her eyes away from meeting Big Macintosh’s gaze.

Her entire body was refusing to work, and it was all because of him.

Fluttershy made a snap decision. She flipped herself back up into a standing position, coiled her legs, spread her wings, and flew away as fast as she could. She didn’t look back as she tore away from the festival, making a beeline back home.

Fluttershy’s legs were still shaking, her tongue was still fumbling around, her heart was still

Th-thump

beating like a drum, and she was dead tired.

Whatever was going on with her, she would be able to find out after a good night’s rest. She’d probably feel better in the morning. Definitely.



Fluttershy lay in her bed and stared at the ceiling, her bloodshot eyes unblinking. Her heart was still thumping inside her chest with enough force to be externally visible, and morning light was streaming through the window.

It had been almost seven hours since she had run away from the dance. Fluttershy had been unable to get a second of sleep since then.

Fluttershy felt a small weight hop up onto the bed, jostling the mattress. A second later, Angel was standing next to her head, looking grouchy, as usual. He pointed at his wrist to bring her attention to the time, and then at his stomach, which chose that moment to gurgle.

Fluttershy sighed and sat up. “I’m coming, Angel,” She said, rolling out of bed. She bit back a yawn. “Just a minute, I’ll get you some breakfast.”



Angel scowled down at his food dish and the smattering of lettuce leaves within. He looked up at Fluttershy with disdain. His so-called ‘owner’ just sighed.

“I’m sorry, Angel, but I didn’t get much sleep last night,” She said tiredly. “Maybe I’m coming down with a cold? Yes, that would explain why I felt so weird last night.” Angel rolled his eyes, making it clear that he really didn’t care. “I should go see Nurse Redheart… no, I’m sure she’s busy, I don’t want to get in her way, and I’m not even sure I’m sick…” Again, Angel rolled his eyes so hard that he almost sprained something. “Oh, I know!”

Angel gave a start, surprised by the suddenness of Fluttershy jumping into action. She quickly left the kitchen, headed straight for the front door.

“I’ll be back in a little while, Angel,” She said as she pulled the door open. “I’m going to go see Twilight, so I should be back in an hour or so. Be good!”

The door clicked shut. Angel looked back at his dish full of plain lettuce.

Still scowling, he started to eat. But he did not enjoy it.



"Okay, run that by me again,” Twilight said, cracking open the book ‘Self-Diagnosis and You: You Don’t Have Cancer, Stop Panicking’.

“Okay, um, my heart was beating really hard,” Fluttershy said. Twilight flipped to a new page.

“Heavy heart palpitations,” She said. “What else?”

“I felt… clumsy. Like my legs didn’t want to work right,” Fluttershy said, shaking her legs as an example.

Twilight turned to another page. “Okay, loss of coordination, that’s good. Well, not really good, since you might be sick, but… Forget it. Anything else?”

Fluttershy creased her brow in thought. “Um, I felt tingly…” Flip flip flip. “A bit light-headed…” Flip flip flip. “It was like there was a rock in my belly…” Flip flip flip. “And I couldn’t sleep.”

“And are you feeling this right now?” Twilight asked. Fluttershy shook her head.

“No, it was just last night, when I was with…” Fluttershy trailed off into mumbling. “No, I’m not feeling it.”

“Well, according to the book, there’s two possibilities: first, you may have contracted an ancient illness that toppled empires in a matter of days…” Twilight said, reading from the book.

Fluttershy gulped. “Oh my. I certainly hope it’s not that. What’s the other one?”

“It just says ‘Lovesick. See also; in denial’,” Twilight read. She looked back at Fluttershy. “You said you felt this when, exactly?”

Fluttershy squeaked. “On second thought, maybe it is the empire-toppling one,” She decided, backing away towards the door. “I guess I’ll just g-go back home and wither away in peace so nopony has to share my f-”

A cloud of purple magic briefly surrounded Twilight, and she vanished with a pop, reappearing in a similar cloud behind Fluttershy. Fluttershy screamed in shock, and jumped away from Twilight. “D-don’t touch me! I m-might be contagious!”

“Fluttershy, if you actually had the Pinkish-Purple Plague, you would probably be dead right now,” Twilight said, smirking. “Now, come on, tell me what’s wrong.”

Fluttershy started to retreat behind her mane. “Nothing’s wrong, really, I just felt a bit under the weather after the party last night and-”

Twilight, grinning like she had won the lottery, stepped up to Fluttershy. “If you ask me, Fluttershy, I’d say that it sounds like you have a crush on somepony.”

Fluttershy’s eyes were wide with terror as she stammered out an answer. “I – no – muh-maybe – wait – no…” She dropped to the ground, throwing her forelegs over her head. “I don’t know,” She squeaked out. “I really, really don’t know.”



“Here you are,” Twilight said, placing a steaming cup of coffee in front of Fluttershy. “Do you want some sugar with that?”

“No, thank you,” Fluttershy said, staring at the cup. Twilight sat down across from her, and started adding some sugar to her own cup. She blew on it to cool it down, and took a careful sip.

“Are you sure you’re okay? I really didn’t mean to be so pushy, I was just…” Twilight was cut off by Fluttershy shaking her head.

“It’s fine. You… gave me a lot to think about,” She said. “I’ve never really had a crush before, but thinking back on it… I think you’re right.” She sighed, letting her head fall to the table’s surface. “I’ve g-got a crush on somepony.”

“Mind if I ask who the lucky pony is?” Twilight requested, taking another sip of her coffee.

“I think…” Fluttershy cleared her throat. “I mean, it’s just a guess, really, I’m not sure, but… B-b-big Macintosh.” She felt her face flush. She’d said it. Out loud. Actually said it. It felt like a heavy weight was lifted from her chest.

“Applejack’s brother?” Twilight said, her eyebrows lifted. “Wow, I never would have guessed.”

“It’s stupid, I know,” Fluttershy said. “He’s so big, so tough, and I’m so… not.”

“He’d be lucky to have you,” Twilight said, smiling. “Does he know?”

“Twilight, I didn’t know until a few minutes ago,” Fluttershy answered. “Not to mention that I’d have no idea what to do if he did know…”

“If you’re interested, I might have a few books lying around on the subject,” Twilight suggested, motioning to the many bookshelves lining Twilight’s office.

“Um, no offense, Twilight, but I don’t think this is a problem that can be solved by reading a book,” Fluttershy said, picking up her coffee cup. A few seconds after taking a delicate sip, her face scrunched up in distaste at the bitterness. “On second thought, I think some sugar would be a good idea.”

Twilight levitated two lumps of sugar out of the small dish on the tea tray, and dropped them into Fluttershy’s coffee. The pegasus whispered a quick ‘thank you’ and picked up a spoon to stir her drink. “You might have a point about that,” Twilight admitted as Fluttershy took another sip. “Most of the books contradict each other, anyway. This might be a problem that needs a more personal touch, like…” Twilight’s eyes brightened as an idea came to her. “Perhaps Rarity?”

“Mmm,” Fluttershy swallowed her mouthful of coffee. “That’s probably my best chance. Do you think she’ll be busy?”

“I have no idea,” Twilight said, shrugging. “But it can’t hurt to try, can it?”

“I suppose not,” Fluttershy said. “I guess I’ll be headed to Carousel Boutique, then. Um, after I finish this coffee, of course.”



“Will you please stop fidgeting?”

“Sorry. Not a fan o’ needles,” Big Macintosh said, keeping his eyes on the tiny bit of metal floating next to his shoulder. The fashionista peering at him through red horn-rimmed glasses rolled her eyes.

“You won’t have to worry about me accidentally jabbing you if you stop squirming,” Rarity said. “I can’t get any work done on my new ‘Large and In-Charge’ line of suits if my model won’t stand still.”

"Coulda gotten somepony else t' model for ya," Big Macintosh said, looking away from the needle.

"You're the only pony in town with the right build," Rarity said. "Besides, your sister said I could borrow you for as long as I need."

Big Macintosh groaned. She was right, of course. Apparently, Applejack had owed Rarity a favor, and the fashionista had chosen to cash that favor in to get Big Mac to model for her. He took a deep breath, and tried to focus on other, more important things while the fashionista worked. Future harvests, tools that needed repairing…

…Last night…

“Bit for your thoughts.”

Big Macintosh was snapped out of his thoughts by the sudden statement. “Beg pardon?”

“You just looked like you were thinking about something. Care to share?” Rarity asked, not looking up from her work. Big Mac shook his head.

“Nope,” He said simply.

“It wouldn’t happen to be related to the… events of last night, would it?” Rarity asked.

“Y’ saw that?” Big Macintosh asked, already knowing the answer. Rarity nodded.

“Darling, half the town saw it,” Rarity said, laughing. “Oh, don’t worry, I won’t hold your dancing skills against you.”

“Ain’t my business what town thinks o’ me,” Big Mac said. “I know darn well I got four left hooves. It don’t bother me none.”

“Then why look so glum?” Rarity asked. Mac shook his head.

“Don’t wanna talk about it,” He said. “Ain’t nopony’s problem but mine.”

“That’s a good philosophy to have, I suppose,” Rarity said. “Can you lift your right leg, please?” Big Macintosh lifted his front right leg. “No, no, your other right.” He put that leg down and lifted his back right leg off the ground. “Thank you. Now, don’t move.”

Rarity returned to her work, diligently taking measurements off Big Macintosh’s back leg, and mumbling to herself as she wrote down the proportions. She continued in silence for a few more minutes.

“Say, Miss Rarity?” Big Macintosh asked, breaking the silent spell.

“I’m almost done here, darling. Just a few more minutes, then you can head straight home,” Rarity said, wrapping the measuring tape around his withers.

“Wasn’t wonderin’ ‘bout that, honestly. Jus’ wanted t’ ask ya a quick question,” Big Macintosh said, as if he was carefully choosing his words.

“Go right ahead,” Rarity answered.

“You an’ Miss Fluttershy ‘re close, right?” Big Mac asked. Rarity nodded, as if motioning for him to continue. “She… ain’t th’ type t’ hold a grudge, is she?”

“About what? Your near-miss last night?” Rarity gave a bell-like laugh. “I truly don’t think she knows the meaning of the word. If anything, she’s probably blaming…” Rarity’s needle stopped moving. The fashionista looked at the farmer quizzically. “Hold on. I thought you just said that you didn’t care what ponies thought about you.”

Big Macintosh gulped so hard he accidentally swallowed the sprig of hay in his mouth. “I, uh, don’t.”

“Then why does it matter if Fluttershy holds a grudge against you or not?” Rarity asked, circling around Big Mac so she could look him straight in the eye.

“It d-d-don’t,” Big Macintosh said, taking a sudden interest in everything in the room that wasn’t Rarity. “Jus’ curious is all.”

“Oh, I doubt that,” Rarity said, forcefully turning Big Mac’s head so he was looking straight at her. The big red farmer suddenly found himself terrified of the ladylike fashionista and the look in her eyes. “You say you don’t care about what the town thinks of you, but what makes Fluttershy the exception to that rule?”

“N-nothin’,” Big Macintosh said, shrinking away from the unicorn. He was convinced that if he listened closely, he would be able to hear the millions of small, gilded cogs in the socially-gifted unicorn’s mind as she took the known variables and fit them together to find an answer to this discrepancy.

Rarity threw a hoof over her mouth and gasped as realization struck like lightning. “Of course!” She yelled “I can’t believe I didn’t see it sooner! You’re in love with her!

Big Macintosh winced. “How th’ hay did y-”

“Please, darling, you’re as easy to read as a cheap paperback. You were stammering. In all the time I have known you, you have never stammered,” Rarity said simply.

“Ya got that from my stammerin’?

“Among other things, yes,” Rarity said. “But, oh, this is fantastic! Completely unexpected! So much like a romance novel! Darling, you have got to tell me everything!

“Ma’am, yer actin’ worse’n Apple Bloom on Hearth’s Warmin’,” Big Macintosh said, rubbing his face. “Consarnit, I can’t believe this. Jus’… jus’ keep it quiet, please? I don’t want this gettin’ out.”

“Oh, you don’t want anypony ‘spilling the beans’ before you do, as it were?” Rarity asked, nudging Big Mac in the ribs. “Perfectly understandable. She won’t hear a peep from me about it.”

“I ain’t plannin’ on spillin’ th’ beans,” Big Macintosh said. “I don’t want ‘er t’ know.”

Rarity’s face fell like a sack of bricks. “You what?

“I don’t plan on tellin’ her that I might be in love with ‘er,” Big Mac stated. “’Sides, it’d never work ‘tween us. I wouldn’t know what t’ do.”

“So you’re not even going to try?” Rarity asked incredulously. Big Macintosh just shook his head.

“Nope.”

Rarity stared at him as if he had just proclaimed that nylon was superior to silk in every manner. She opened her mouth to say something, thought better of it, then closed her mouth. She let out a deep sigh, and lifted her red glasses off her face. “Oh,” She said. “You fool.”

“Huh?” Big Macintosh grunted.

“You’re a fool, Macintosh Apple. A simple fool,” Rarity said, setting her glasses aside. “Take off that silly tuxedo. I’m done measuring, and we need to have a serious talk.”



Big Macintosh couldn't help but feel the slightest bit out of place as he sat in Rarity’s parlor. There was no way around it: the furniture had been designed with a smaller pony in mind. The table only went up to his knee.

“Are you certain you don’t want any?” Rarity asked, waving the teapot under Big Macintosh’s nose. “It’s Earl Neigh…”

“Not a fan o’ tea, thanks,” The farmer said, pushing the floating teapot away.

“Ah, well. More for me, I suppose,” Rarity decided, filling her own teacup. “Do you want anything else? I’m certain I have something around here that would be to your tastes.”

“I jus’ wanna get this finished an’ head home,” Big Macintosh admitted. “Ya kinda grabbed me in th’ middle o’ doin’ my chores.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be as brief as I can,” Rarity promised, leaning back in her red sofa as she brought her teacup to her lips. “I’m just hoping to convince you to stop being such an unromantic fool and try talking to Fluttershy.”

“It’s not yer concern, ma’am,” Big Macintosh said. “I don’t tell you how t’ life yer life, an’ I’d like it if you did th’ same with me.”

Rarity’s teacup returned to its saucer. “I am not telling you to do anything. This is merely a bit of friendly advice, darling,” She said, adjusting her position on the sofa. “And my advice is this: There has never been an issue that was solved by pretending it did not exist. You’re doing yourself no favors by keeping quiet about it, Macintosh.”

“I got my reasons fer not tellin’ ‘er,” Big Macintosh said. “Main one bein’ that I’m too busy on th’ farm t’ have time fer romance…”

Rarity let out a bell-like laugh. “That’s no excuse. My parents met while my mother was pursuing her doctorate in pre-Discordian history and my father was the star quarterback of the Ponyville Plows,” She said. “They made time in their schedules for one another. And if you were to ask them now if they felt it was the right choice, well, they’ve been happily married for twenty-five years. That should be answer enough.”

“Studyin’ an’ hoofball ain’t the same as farmwork,” Big Macintosh argued. “Ya gotta work day in an’ day out…”

“And yet here you are, sitting with me in my parlor and having a lovely conversation,” Rarity said. “No, I can tell there’s something you’re not telling me. It’s not time you’re worried about at all, is it? Are you scared, Macintosh?”

Big Macintosh’s brow furrowed. “I got nothin’ t’ be scared of,” He said firmly.

Rarity sat up, conducting herself with poise as she addressed the muscular farmer. “Macintosh Apple, I cannot help you if you continue lying to me,” She said, her stare steely and resolute. “I am going to give you a choice. You can either stay here, tell me the truth, and listen to what I have to say with an open mind, or…” She turned her head towards the door. “…You can leave this room, go home, finish your chores, and spend the rest of your life asking yourself ‘what if’.”

Big Macintosh fell completely and utterly silent. His eyes were pointed at the door, but Rarity was certain that he wasn’t looking at it. She could see the inner conflict raging inside him. The only thing keeping the big red pony from leaving was a single thought: ‘What if she’s right?

For five long minutes, the silence continued. Rarity waited patiently, sipping at her tea every so often.

Finally, Big Macintosh closed his eyes, and hung his head. “I’m afraid o’ what might happen,” He said in a heavy voice. “What if I tell ‘er? What if she don’t feel th’ same way about me? What if…” Big Macintosh swallowed past the lump that had formed in his throat. “What if she does feel th’ same way?” He looked up at Rarity, his eyes pleading for an answer.

“What harm is there in trying?” Rarity asked. “You don’t have to propose to her. Just ask her out to lunch, or a picnic, or whatever you feel like. Just ask her.”

Big Mac rubbed the back of his neck. “I don’t even know what I’d say,” He said.

Rarity smiled, reaching out to pat the earth pony on the shoulder. “You can cross that bridge when you…”

Knock knock knock.

Rarity’s ears perked up at the tiny sound of hoof against wood coming from downstairs. Rarity knew exactly one pony that would knock on a door with a sign that said, in large, red letters, ‘Come In, We’re OPEN.’

The fashionista fought to contain the grin working its way across her face. “Excuse me for a moment,” She said, hopping off the sofa. “I’d best go see who’s at the door.”

Only after the parlor door was closed behind her did Rarity let herself grin like a mischievous cat.



The welcoming bell rang as Rarity pulled the front door open. “Welcome to the Carousel Boutique,” She recited. “Where everything is chiq, unique, and magnifique.”

“Good morning, Rarity,” The yellow pegasus waiting outside said quietly. “Are you busy?”

“Why, Fluttershy! What a surprise to see you!” Rarity lied, still grinning. “Oh, I assure you, I am quite free! Come in, come, come!” Rarity pulled her dear friend inside and closed the door, making sure to flip the sign to the side that read ‘CLOSED’. “It’s been so long since we’ve had a nice chat, darling.”

“…I talked to you yesterday during Winter Wrap-Up,” Fluttershy corrected her, sounding unsure of herself.

“Oh, but it’s felt like a long time, and that’s what matters,” Rarity said, dragging Fluttershy upstairs. “We simply must catch up. I was just having tea with another visitor in the parlor – do you like Earl Neigh?”

“You have another visitor? I can come back later, if you’d like…” Fluttershy suggested. Rarity clicked her tongue at that.

“Nonsense, dear; the more the merrier, as they say. Besides…” Rarity waved her horn, and the door to the parlor swung open. “We were just talking about you.”

Two pairs of eyes, one green, one blue, met. Two sets of lungs drew in a sharp breath. Two throats clenched, two hearts thundered, two minds temporarily shut down.

“I believe you two are acquainted?” Rarity asked rhetorically, still grinning like mad. “Fluttershy, Big Macintosh. Big Macintosh, the proverbial bridge.”

No response from the earth pony. His jaw was working up and down, but nothing was coming out of his mouth.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have tried to push things along this hard,’ Rarity thought. Realizing she was going to get nothing out of Macintosh, Rarity turned her attention to Fluttershy.

“Aren’t you going to say ‘hello’, Flutter-” Rarity’s train of thought stopped dead once she got a good look at Fluttershy’s face. She was as red as a ripe beet.

No,’ Rarity thought, disbelieving. Her eyes scanned over Fluttershy. Her friend’s pupils were the size of small beads, and her heartbeat was actually visible. ‘No. Fates above, she can’t possibly be… can she?

“Fluttershy? Are you feeling alright, dear?” Rarity asked in a hushed voice. Fluttershy shook her head with tiny, barely-noticeable motions. “I see. Will you excuse us for a moment? Thank you.” Not waiting for Big Macintosh’s reply, Rarity dragged Fluttershy out of the room by her tail, slamming the door shut behind her. As soon as the door was closed, Fluttershy started moving again.

“I’m sorry I think I might be coming down with a cold I’ll talk to you later Rarity,” Fluttershy said in one breath, trying to walk away on shaking legs.

“Oh no you don’t,” Rarity said, jumping in front of her. “Fluttershy, it is very important that you answer me honestly: are you in love with Big Macintosh?

Fluttershy’s jaw dropped. “H-h-how did you…”

“And did you come to me for advice?” Rarity hissed. Fluttershy bit her bottom lip, and nodded. “Good. Here’s my advice, then. Wait. Here.” Without another word, Rarity tore past Fluttershy, nearly tearing the door to the parlor off its hinges in her haste to get inside. She closed the door, and ran up to Big Mac, who was still recovering from the shock.

“Macintosh Apple, listen to me and listen well,” Rarity said, putting her front hooves on Big Macintosh’s shoulders. “This. Is. Your. Chance. Get out there this instant and talk to Fluttershy.”

“But what if…” Big Macintosh started, but Rarity cut him off with a sharp blow to the skull.

If she says no I will eat every piece of clothing in this building,” She said urgently. “Just go.”

Big Macintosh blinked. “I don’t even know what t’ say…”

“I can’t help you with that. Just act natural,” Rarity said, stepping aside and pointing at the door. “She’s not going to wait forever, you know.”

“I jus’… don’t think I’m ready,” Big Macintosh said, shifting uncomfortably. “Y’ can’t push this sorta thing along-”

“Macintosh, I know both of you. If I don’t give you at least a little push, neither of you will do anything,” Rarity said. “Just be yourself. That’s the only advice I can give you for this part.”

“Hold on, ‘neither o’ us’?” Big Mac repeated. Rarity growled.

“Are you going to keep stalling for time?” Rarity asked impatiently. “Because I can go out there and ask her to leave.”

“No! No, yer right, its jus’…” Big Mac took a deep breath. “Sure she won’t…?” Rarity just nodded in response. “Alrighty, then.”

He drew in another breath, and took the first step towards the door.



Fluttershy shifted from side to side, a thousand answerless questions racing through her head. Why was Big Macintosh here? Why was he having tea with Rarity? How had Rarity known what she’d wanted to talk about? Why had she been told to wait outside?

…Why had they been talking about her?

These questions, as well as most other conscious thought, left her mind in an instant following the sound of the parlor door opening again. A massive, red shape filled the doorway, before stepping through and closing the door. Big Macintosh stood before her, tall, strong, and about as nervous as Angel on bath day.

“M-mornin’, ma’am,” He said, dipping his head. Fluttershy fought to compose herself.

“Um, good morning,” She said in a tiny voice. She congratulated herself internally; she’d been able to get out a full sentence, more or less.

“I, uh,” Big Macintosh coughed. “Wanted t’ apologize. ‘Bout last night.”

“I-it wasn’t your fault,” Fluttershy responded, surprising herself even further. “It was mine. I… panicked, and thought you were going to…” Fluttershy stopped there. She couldn’t bring herself to continue that sentence.

“Still thought I should apologize,” Big Macintosh said, scratching the back of his head. “I-I was thinkin’. That, uh, I should make it up t’ ya somehow.”

The farmer cleared his throat, his face a healthy shade of pink. Fluttershy thought to herself that she should tell him that it was unnecessary, but something told her that she should let him finish.

“D’ you… wanna have lunch together sometime?”

There was a moment of complete silence, and for Fluttershy, the world slowed to a crawl. She could see fat beads of sweat rolling down the farmer’s neck and collecting on his yoke. She could see the undisguised terror and hope in his eyes, the way he tensed his entire body as if bracing himself, the agitated twitching of his tail.

For a brief, wonderful second, Fluttershy truly saw Big Macintosh Apple.

Her answer was obvious.

“Okay.”

A pearl of warmth blossomed in Fluttershy’s chest. She’d said it. She hadn’t stammered, she hadn’t whispered, she’d just looked him straight in the eye and said it. And it felt so right.

If Fluttershy had listened closely, she would have been able to hear a squeal coming from the parlor.

Big Macintosh blinked at her. “D-did you jus’ say…”

“M-mhmm.”

Big Macintosh’s face broke out into the widest smile that Fluttershy had ever seen him make. “That’s – uh, g-great! Erm, I mean,” He wiped the smile off his face, returning to his usual well-composed expression. “Good. That’s good. So, uh…”

“I’m, I’m free Thursday,” Fluttershy suggested. “I-if that’s alright with you, of course.”

“Thursday’s fine,” Big Macintosh said. “I know a good place out in th’ woods. F-for a picnic.”

“O-okay,” Fluttershy said. “That sounds – nice.”

“I’ll jus’… drop by your place ‘round noon, I reckon?” Big Macintosh asked.

“O-okay.”

The two ponies fell silent, neither knowing what to say at this point. Thankfully, the mastermind behind these events did.

“Then it’s a date!” Rarity announced, suddenly appearing between the nascent couple. Fluttershy squeaked in terror, and Big Macintosh took a small step backwards. They hadn’t even noticed the parlor door opening. “Now, Macintosh, I’m afraid I’ve kept you for far too long. I’m certain your sister needs you back at the farm-”

“Wha-”

“Just go,” Rarity hissed to him, so low that Fluttershy could barely hear her. “You have a date, don’t drag the conversation on any longer. Trust me.”

“I – a-alright,” Big Macintosh said, realizing that Rarity was correct. “Then, uh, I’ll see you Thursday, mi – I mean, Fluttershy.”

“O-okay,” Fluttershy said as the large stallion walked past her. “B-bye.”

Fluttershy and Rarity were silent as they listened to the sound of the farmer’s heavy hoofsteps going down the stairs, and moments later, the tiny ringing of the welcome bell as the door was opened.

As soon as she heard the front door closing, Rarity let out a piercing squeal as a look of pure glee passed over her face, hopping up and down in a way reminiscent of Pinkie Pie.

“I can’t believe that worked! I can’t believe that worked!” She crowed, bouncing around Fluttershy. “I thought it would take him weeks, I tell you! Weeks!”

Fluttershy’s eyes were empty as her mind finally realized what she had done. The pegasus sat down. “I,” She said. “I have a date.”

“Hmm?” Rarity stopped jumping. “Sorry, dear?”

“I have a date,” Fluttershy said, turning to Rarity, her eyes still empty. “I have a date.”

“…Are you alright?” Rarity asked.

“I have a date.”

“We’ve established that.”

“I have a date.”

“Yes, dear, you’ve said that.”

“I have a date.”

“Oh, for goodness sake,” Rarity rolled her eyes. “It’s just a date, Fluttershy. No need to be so panicked.”

“I’ve never been on a date before,” Fluttershy said. “And now I have one.”

“You’ve never been on a – of course. I shouldn’t be so surprised,” Rarity said, shaking her head. “No need to worry, darling, I’ll be more than happy to help you get ready. Let’s see, I’ll need to design a dress. Something casual, not too fancy, but not boring, no. I’m thinking…”

She kept on talking, but Fluttershy couldn’t hear her. In her mind, there was only one, simple truth.

“I have a date.”



Big Macintosh stood outside the Carousel Boutique, staring out into nothingness.

“I’ve got a date,” He said to himself. “I’ve got a date.”

A small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

“I’ve got a date.”

That simple thought on his mind, he began the walk home, a happy spring in his step.

Author's Note:

Part one of the first year anniversary rewrite of Butterflies In Her Stomach. I changed a lot of things from the original, as you could probably tell. Originally, the plan was for this to be its own story, but that got ixnayed when I say that it's against site rules to post a rewrite as its own story. So I thought, what the heck, I'll just put it on the original as a new chapter. Boom, problem solved.

Anyway, the next chapter is going to be released, um, when it's finished. Which might be a while, since I'm back at college now. But rest assured, I'm working on it. Just not, you know, very quickly.

Hey, I'm a college student. I'm 'busy'.

PS: Have you read My Little Mages? Please read My Little Mages.

Oh, whatever. Leave a comment, if it pleases you.

Comments ( 12 )

That. Was. GLORIOUS! I loved every bit of it. I don't think I've ever read a Fluttermac interaction that was so epically in character. Good job. :yay::eeyup:

FlutterMac... oh yeah

can you post a link to jis devient art page also hope this a good story

Yeah, definitely noticed a few differences. This is one of the first pony ship fics I read if I remember correctly, nice to see the rewrite.

Also, let me echo the recommendation for My Little Mages, it's quite entertaining.

One of my old favourites. Seeing it reappear was a remarkably pleasant surprise.
Fluttershy/Big Macintosh may be predictable, but when it is done this well, it is definitely the best pairing for the both of them.

2020566
What about me? Joking, joking, nothing I wrote could compare to this.

....Utterly....adorable.:heart:

2021676 I haven't forgotten about you. Uh.... :twilightblush:

I won't name names but including this there are only about 5 Fluttermac fics in existence (Yes I have read them all, trust me) with dialog that is 100% believable to the characters. This one included.

I love it. Your Fluttermac stuff is some of my favorite adorable on the internet.

I see a lot of changes in this rewrite. . . :pinkiesad2:
Wait. . it's continuing? :pinkiegasp:
YesYesYesYesYesYes! :pinkiehappy:

"Okay, run that by me again,” Twilight said, cracking open the book ‘ Self-Diagnosis and You: You Don’t Have Cancer, Stop Panicking ’.

I'm getting that book for my sister except instead of cancer it'll be "You don't have Covid, Stop Panicking."

That was lovely. Very emotionally engaging and good build-up.

Login or register to comment