• Published 6th Feb 2013
  • 2,744 Views, 118 Comments

With a Shine in His Eyes - Kotushk Fier



Join Novalis as his world expands in the sequel to the somewhat loved story, Nocturnality.

  • ...
2
 118
 2,744

The Royal Court

I was on my way to Twilight's library, and I was oblivious. Completely unaware of the eyes following my every move. About three houses down from the studious unicorn's abode, two other ponies blindsided me.

"Well well well, Orange Rhyme, look who has decided to grace us with his presence again," I could hear a sarcastic voice remark from somewhere in front of me.

"Why, I do believe it's that uppity snob from Canterlot, Razor. We never did get to welcome him before. And I'm pretty sure that vision of Princess Luna before was just a cheap trick. Let's give him a whole hearted welcoming."

The drawling voice of the mare was saturated with ill intentions. Looking up, I saw the two Earth ponies I had met long ago advancing on me, sinister smiles plastered onto their faces.

"And he even drove a rift between us and our dear friend Snowshoe. I think he should be willing to pay for that, at least."

I rose groggily to my feet. The nerve of these imbeciles was stunning. I wasn't interested in fighting, but I was sure as Tartarus not going to let them abuse me. I merely had to restrict my power a bit...

"Stay away from him already, guys. Why do you care if he's from Canterlot anyways, if he hasn't done anything to us?"

A small voice spoke from behind me, and I turned to find the grey pony, Snowshoe, standing there. He was staring at Ice Razor with a bit of fear, but I could see a steely resolve as well.

"Ah, Snow, ever the oblivious one. Every Unicorn in Canterlot is only interested in robbing us hardworking Earth ponies. They steal our bits and make us grow food for them and Pegasi, and we still have to bicker with them to get the rains we need on time. Unicorns and Pegasi only care about stepping on us poor Earth ponies, using their wings and magic to hold us back and keep us on the bottom. And the two 'benevolent Princesses' that swore to uphold 'fairness and honor amongst ponykind' are merely tyrants letting it hap-GUARK!"

The sheer racism of his statements was irritating enough, but to further insult the Princesses was a grave crime. Mustering my power, I silenced and tied the pony in a magical field, floating him over to me while the others looked on in a mixture of fear and awe. Manipulating an Earth pony with magic wasn't as easy as he was trying to claim, but I did so with ease.

Looking into his fearful eyes, I let my voice slip into the one that my inner power possessed, letting my words hang heavy with power and threat.

"Speaking of the Princesses with such disrespect is a crime. And as the Ambassador of Princess Luna, I am obligated to take you before the Royal Court, along with anyone who supports your vicious claims. Your racism and bigotry is unwelcome in the realm of Equestria. Who do you think helped you rebuild after the incident with the hydra six years ago? Who helped charter this land from the gryphons all those years ago so the Apples could settle and turn this town into the place you live today?" I was practically spitting venom, and the pony before me was absolutely terrified. "Those Princesses you claim to be malevolent made it so you could live in peace, you vile and ignorant son of a whorse. And those Unicorns who 'steal your bits' and 'hold you back', they're the ones who pay so you don't have to deal with the extravagant costs of things like the Summer Sun Celebration we had a few months ago."

Looking over at Orange Rhyme, I lowered my voice even more, letting it speak volumes as I asked her, "Do you support this pony's views?"

She immediately dropped to a deep bow, shaking her head fervently and squeezing her eyes shut against any possible retributions.

"Good."

Looking back at Snowshoe, I smiled apologetically to him.

"Sorry Snow, we'll have to get acquainted at another time, I need to take this guy to Canterlot immediately."

He opened and closed his mouth a few times, trying to make words come forth.

"Can I come with you? I mean, I always wanted to see the city..."

Contemplating a few moments, I figured it might be a good idea to take a witness with me, if my word as Luna's direct subordinate wasn't good enough. With a curt nod, I enveloped him with my magic as well, blindfolded and deafened Razor, and teleported us directly to Canterlot, leaving a very stunned and scared mare still bowing where we left her.

Trotting up the stone steps of the castle, I was stopped by two guards.

"Halt, Novalis. We must ask, what business do you have to bring two Earth ponies here under, ahem, varied states of suppression?"

"Well, he," I said, jerking my head towards the pony in my magic field, "is to be taken directly to the Royal Court on charges of racism and treasonous remarks. And the other one is my witness."

The two guards saluted and removed their weapons to allow me to pass. As we walked by, the left guard spat on the pony I was holding with a sneer.

"Filthy racists."

I gave the guard a dirty look, removing the spittle with my magic. He gave me a sarcastically apologetic look and rolled his eyes, before giving me a mock salute and standing back to attention.

I quickly made my way through the castle until I was standing in front of the throne room. After stating my business, I was forced to wait until all the nobles were stationed in the upper balcony before the Royal Judgment could begin. After receiving the all clear, I made my way down the center aisle before coming to a bow before both Princesses. Since time immemorial, these courts had to have a complete agreement between the two sisters before a verdict could be delivered.

"Your Royal Highnesses, my name is Novalis Shiningeyes. The pony currently in my magical hold is named Ice Razor. I have brought him before the two of you on the following accounts: racism, treason, and slander. The pony behind me is Snowshoe, brought in case you need a witness testimony."

I looked up after my claims, and Princess Celestia motioned me to unbind Razor. I set him on the ground and released my magic from him, after which he immediately turned and snarled at me.

"You filthy Unicorn! How dare you defile me with your disgusting magic?"

When a collective gasp and shout rose from the nobles in the balcony, he looked up and blanched. Turning slowly around, he quaked before the merciless gazes of the Alicorn rulers who had heard his outbursts.

Luna spoke first.

"I daresay, sister, that we may not need a witness after that. It seems this contemptible pony before is is quite possibly as vile as Novalis has stated."

"NO! He tricked me! He put a spell on me and controlled me!" Razor was sweating bullets as he shook in place.

"Lying will get you nowhere, Ice Razor," Celestia's clear and strong voice rang out so all could hear. "And, as a cursory precaution, I will be going through your mind and revisiting your memories from the past few hours. This may be a bit unpleasant for you."

With a yellow flare, Celestia drove her magic into the pony before her. His eyes rolled into the back of his head as he mouthed a wordless scream. After a few moments, Celestia's magic dissipated and she opened her eyes.

"Ice Razor, for the crimes of treason, slander, racism, and violence against an ambassador of the Royal Sisters, you are hereby banished to the Gryphon Kingdoms!"

"What?! NO! They EAT us when we cross into their lands without permission!"

"I will place a mark upon you. Unless you insult them, they are not to touch you. I suggest you very quickly learn how to control your more vile qualities."

Without another word, Celestia flared her magic again, branding the mark of the sun into Razor's forehead. When his cries died down to whimpers, Luna used her magic to teleport him from the Court. Afterwards, both Princesses looked down to me.

"Thank you, Novalis, for bringing him before us. We cannot abide such things in our peaceful kingdom, lest we allow the return of Wendigos or worse. You have helped keep the peace for awhile longer."

I bowed to them, and turned to leave when I heard Luna speak to me.

"Oh, Novalis. I request your presence in my study in two hours. Return Snowshoe to Ponyville, and pack your things for your return."

Nodding my head once more, I turned and left the Royal Court.

Author's Note:

Hmm, hope this chapter is OK to you guys. You might think his punishment is a bit harsh, though. Anyways, let me know what you think of it.

PS: How the hell did I manage to make the past two chapters equal length?!