• Published 6th Feb 2013
  • 2,744 Views, 118 Comments

With a Shine in His Eyes - Kotushk Fier



Join Novalis as his world expands in the sequel to the somewhat loved story, Nocturnality.

  • ...
2
 118
 2,744

A Night Out

Ponyville was as small, quiet, and quaint as always. I arrived late in the night, so very few ponies were about, which made getting to my reserved hotel room uneventful. I threw my saddlebags onto my bed, and contemplated whether I should sleep, or take a night on the town. I decided to surprise at least one of my friends, if I still owned the right to call them that. I left my room, and took care to lock the door behind me.

Making my way out of the hotel after graciously thanking my hostess, I began walking towards the home of one pony I was sure was awake. I arrived at my destination about fifteen minutes later, and knocked loudly on her door. After waiting about three minutes, the door slowly opened to reveal a pair of sunglasses.

*THUNK*

I was met with a solid face full of ivory white hoof. I was knocked backwards a small distance and slid on the ground a bit. Dazed, I rose up and turned back to the furious mare standing in her doorway.

"Hello, Ms Scra-"

I was interrupted by a magical aura enveloping my body and throwing me in the air. I landed on my back and the air was knocked from my lungs. As I gasped, attempting to recover my breath, I saw a silhouette enter my vision.

"Six months, bud. Six months you didn't write anypony. And then, when you show up, you take a slug to the face, stand up, and proceed to address me with that snooty attitude. If I wasn't mad at ya before, I was after this."

"I am sorry, Vinyl. I really have no excuse. I did believe you would strike me, and I deserved it. I figured I'd let you have another one to make up for my stupidity."

Vinyl stood silent over me, regarding me with a curious look. After a few moments, she helped me to my hooves and walked into her home, leaving the door open. I took this as a sign to enter, and followed her inside as she made her way into her living room. She climbed onto her couch and lay there as I entered. Looking around, I noticed that the only place I could sit was either on the floor or next to her on the couch. I decided I didn't want to be hit again, and lowered myself onto the floor.

"Oh for buck's sake!"

Glancing up at the curse word, I saw her horn glow before I was back in the air. Levitating me easily, she brought me over and deposited me on the couch next to her. After letting me go with her magic, she crawled over and lay against my side. I tensed up at first, but relaxed when she spoke, I could hear the hurt in her voice.

"We're friends, right, Novalis? I know you didn't write, and perhaps I am presumptuous to think so, but I consider you a friend. You are the first and only pony outside of my family to see my eyes and not run away."

I sighed as I looked down at her. Her shocking blue mane was covering her face, and she was looking away from me. I gently put both of my hooves on her cheeks and directed her to look into my eyes. Her large scarlet eyes showed sadness, and a fear of rejection, and my heart just about broke to see what my long absence had done to my friend. I softly pulled her into a hug. She stiffened noticeably before relaxing into the embrace.

"I'd like to say that proximity to the mare of my desire left me without any other cares. But in all honesty, I really have no excuse, Vinyl. I am a terrible friend. I apologize, and fervently hope you can forgive me."

She drew back from me slightly and stared quizzically at me.

"You have a love interest? Who is she? Do I know her? Does she live around here? How important is she to you?"

"Whoa there, Vinyl. That's a lot of questions. Might I ask why you are so interested all of a sudden?"

"If you answer my questions, I will tell you."

I sighed. This mare was going to make me explain a ridiculous fantasy.

"Yes, I have a love interest. You know of her very well, but I do not know how well you may know her. She lives in Canterlot. And she is important enough to keep my interest singly focused on her. The big question to answer, who is she? You would laugh and call me a foal. But, I shall tell you anyways. My love burns for Princess Luna."

I could see her emotions and thoughts crossing her face. Incredulity, shock, thoughtfulness, and a touch of sadness and regret.

"Princess Luna, huh? I guess you don't aim small."

I could hear sadness tinging her voice and raised an eyebrow in question. She shook her head and looked away for a few minutes before looking back to me. She wore her confident grin again, but I could still see sorrow in her eyes.

"C'mon, bud, you actually came in the middle of a jam session. Let me soundproof the walls again, and then I want you to let me know what you think of this new piece."

After she set her precautions, I followed her into her studio and sat patiently as I waited for her to start. She had about twelve large speakers set up, and many smaller speakers around them. I could tell at a glance this was going to be loud, and dampened my hearing slightly with a spell before she started.

When the song was finished, I was left speechless. I had no earthly idea what marijuana was, but I felt the music moving through my body, and couldn't resist trying to dance a bit to it. When the song finished, I could hear Vinyl laughing behind her booth. Looking up, I noted she seemed to be pointing at my head. Looking around, I spotted a shiny metal surface that served as a mirror. Gazing upon my reflection, I noted with some amusement that my mane was straight behind me, as if I was running really fast through a field, although I was perfectly still.

"And here I thought only my mane went crazy from my music. Looks good on ya, bud!"

I winced as I felt her slap my back hard, and scowled at her as I tried to flatten my mane. I knew it was untidy and hard to tame, but this was ridiculous. Vinyl waited for me to finish fixing my mane the best I could before she pounced on me, pinning me to the ground.

"So, how was it? Did you like it? I worked a long time on it, and wanted it to be awesome!"

"Hah, it was great, Vinyl. You really know how to make music that makes a pony just want to let loose, unlike the slow cadences from classical music."

She squealed and lifted me in a strong hug before darting behind her booth again. As she levitated more discs, I realized she was going to go all out tonight. Smiling broadly, I sat down and listened to her show.

Song List:

Hold Me - Delta Heavy

The Island - Pendulum

Kill EVERYBODY - Skrillex

Skream Me Some More - DJ Pon-3

Discord - The Living Tombstone

Pinkamena's Return - Flutter Rex

Hyperactivity - Flutter Rex

Author's Note:

As I said, I was going to write when I could. This chapter was, as you may of guessed, helped along by music. The music made me want to write. So, there you go. If I can get the time and ambition, I will start writing more frequently. Brohoof on y'all, and have a good day.