• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 11,176 Views, 1,050 Comments

A Pokemon Problem - Solecism



It turns out that alcohol, Pokemon, and poor decisions don't mix.

  • ...
38
 1,050
 11,176

(27) - Old Friends

A Pokemon Problem

(27) - Old Friends


Have you ever walked somewhere—whether out of spontaneity, a bet, or something else entirely—and immediately felt like you didn't belong there? From the open mouths and less-than-hushed whispering from almost every single pony around, I felt exactly the same way as when I accidently walked into a woman's bathroom.

Almost all of the ponies were unicorns: there was maybe one earth pony for every twenty-or-so magic wielders, and even fewer Pegasi. In fact, I only saw one pegasus, and they seemed to be trying to stay as out of the way as possible. Frankly, I wasn't all too surprised by the racial imbalance of Canterlot, considering that even in modern times, a-la Friendship is Magic times, unicorns still severely outnumbered the other two sub-species. I looked around at my peers, and saw that they noticed the looks we were getting as well.

"There's nothing to be done about it," I whispered. "Hopefully we look intimidating enough that no ponies will bother us."

"I hope you're right," mumbled Seth. "They all look like deer caught in headlights."

Cautiously, we continued moving up the cobblestone street as hundreds of heads turned to follow our every move. I wanted to yell at them to find something more productive to do, but that didn't seem like it would be conducive to our well-being. Eventually, one of the ponies, either from being nudged on by her friends or of her own accord, approached us with skittish steps.

Philomena wasn't having any of it, however. Quick as... well, a phoenix, she made to swoop at the poor pony only to twist at the last second, leaving a trail of colourful flames in her wake. The unicorn quickly retreated back to safety, only falling a couple of times. Philomena landed on the skinny portion of my arm, and despite the pain that it caused me, it was strangely comfortable having her back.

"Philomena! We're trying to not give these ponies a reason to attack us!" I chastised.

She chirped in indignation. "I meant no harm; only a fair warning." I grumbled something inaudible and let it slide for now.

While the looks we received weren't the nicest, at least we were given an open pathway to walk. As a whole, Canterlot didn't look all that different. There was a few less buildings, and a few more market stands, but all in all, it was relatively unchanged from its future counterpart. I found it strange how ponies didn't seem to change their building styles very much—if any.

We continued to move towards the castle in the distance, and as we did, I relegated myself to constantly scan the area, searching for anyone that might try to give us trouble. One unicorn in particular stood out to me, for she was one of the few ponies not paying attention to us. Her coat was forest green, and she was humming a soft tune as she observed the wares of a grumpy-looking earth pony.

I stopped and did a double take.

Lo-and-behold, in the flesh, standing right in front of me... was none other than Morning Dew.

"Morning Dew?"

She turned around and her eyes widened upon seeing me. Her mouth moved, but no sound came out.

Thinking that she may not recognize me, I thought, "It's me: Little Guy."

Morning Dew stood still, her mouth agape, and blinked repeatedly. "L-Little Guy!" she eventually stammered. "You can talk!" After rubbing her eyes with her foreleg, she added, "And you're not so little anymore..."

A part of me wondered if Second Sight had come to Canterlot as well. Almost as if I'd willed him into existence, the dark blue shaman pony trotted out of a nearby store with a frown on his face. "Why did the street become so eerily quiet—?" He froze when he saw us, but his stare was definitely burning into me.

I said nothing and stared back.

He stared at me.

I stared at him.

Finally, he said, "Never mind: I think I know why." I couldn't tell what Second Sight was feeling: he always seemed to hold an air of aloof suspicion around himself.

"Nice to see you too, Second Sight."

To his credit, he didn't so much as bat an eye when I spoke. "I see you found some more friends." He motioned towards the rest of my group.

"Not him again..." Ryder muttered.

"You could say that," I thought, answering the blue unicorn. "In fact, we're heading to the castle to get an audience with Celestia. Feel like joining us?"

Second Sight broke out into wheezy laughter. If I was more hot-headed, I might've been offended. "Oh. You're actually serious," he said after finishing his fit. "What makes you think that the princess will hear what you have to say?"

"I'm a telepathic, floating hunk of sentient metal that doesn't belong in this world. Your argument is invalid."

Second Sight raised a hoof to counter, but slowly put it down without speaking. "I'll concede that point to you... Little Guy." I heard him mutter something about how inappropriate my name was. Louder, he asked, "And why should we accompany you?"

"Don't act like I can't decide for myself!" piped Morning Dew, who galloped over to my side. "You can do whatever you'd like, but I'm going with Little Guy and the rest of his friends!"

It was times like this that I wished I could smile cheekily.

Second Sight didn't look amused, although he rarely, if ever, did. "Fine," he relented. "I'll join your little band of misfit creatures."

"What did that pony call us?" rumbled Seth. "I could've sworn they said something less than savoury about us..."

My eyes shined. "I'd be more careful about who you called a misfit, Sight: you're the odd one out here."

Second Sight gave Seth a weary look, to which Seth replied to by making a sound that seemed to be a cross between a snort, a bark, and a growl.

"And the rest of you!" I raised my thought-voice to include everyone within the immediate vicinity, making the already quiet ponies into silent statues. "I know that you think I don't know that you're all listening! I have but one thing to say..."

I could've heard a pin drop.

"Mind your own goddamn business."

I continued floating towards the castle with everyone following in tow, and Second Sight telling me exactly how much work he had to do to fix his house that I turned into a pile of smouldering slag.

Just like old times.