• Published 5th Feb 2013
  • 19,873 Views, 848 Comments

The Overworked Alicorn - BreakDown



(First story) Have you ever heard of of a mare named Faust? She's an Alicorn, just like the Princesses, but not a princess herself. Some say she's a queen, some say she's their mother. The truth, well... she's really overworked.

  • ...
19
 848
 19,873

The Vacation: Day 2 Pt. 1

The Vacation: Day 2…

A Bit of Chaos…

--

The morning sun spilled through the windows of one Pinkamena Diane Pie. The light made its way across the room, its warming rays stretching out like it too was only just rousing from slumber. It crawled across her room, over bits and bobs that Pinkie had scattered across the room, her pet Gummie giving a gurgle as the sun disturbed him. It slowly passed the quietly sleeping pink pony herself, and finally it seemed to stop and settle on Faust.

Said off-white mare had been dreaming, a calm peaceful dream. A dream of bygone days of yore, long since lost. Of days spent with lost friends and nights under the stars. It was a good dream, but the sun would wait for no pony. The mare groaned quietly and muttered something under her breath that distinctly sounded like “leave me be you stupid sun”. She turned over in bed and brought her hooves over her head and tried to sleep once more.

Try being the key word here as it seemed to be futile. The mare wanted to sleep so very badly; she didn’t want the dream to end and her friends to fade into memory once more. Her friends had been a source of joy in her youth, though admittedly she was a bit of a ‘late bloomer’ back then when it came to friendship in general. But in her old age her friends had become a source of sadness, brought about whenever she thought about them and they were no longer present.

Her vacation had yet to help either, as it seemed a great many ponies greatly looked or acted like her lost friends in this quaint little town. Yet in her dreams there were no ponies that merely looked or acted like her lost friends. In her dreams she could return to old adventures and troubles from before her so called “Destiny” had come to pass. Back when she was just a relatively simple mare, albeit one who studied under Princess Majesty…

But the warmth of the sun beckoned, and like all ponies she was diurnal and thus meant to be awake in the day. Muttering under her breath the off-white mare slowly roused from slumber with a quiet groan. Shaking her head in a futile attempt to become more aware she opened a single bleary eye to look around, and then squinted it half shut. She sat up and brought a hoof to her head, her mane an absolute mess like most mornings, sticking out in any direction it could.

Smacking her lips and yawning Faust silently shook her head and blinked her eyes to try and wake up. The problem with this is that Faust is by no make or merit a morning pony. It often takes her hours before she’ll be alert enough to be cheerful. Either that or ingest enough caffeine to animate the dead, which she felt like most mornings. Faust idly wondered how she’d ever got along without the stuff, then shuddered remembering how cranky she was in the old days.

Pinkie on the other hoof…

“Good morning, Faustie!” Pinkie called out while stretching her limbs and the off-white mare muttered something she could barely understand. “I’m gonna guess that you’re really not a morning pony.” Pinkie noted aloud and Faust pushed her way to her hooves and stumbled towards a door leading to the pink pony’s bathroom. “I’ll take that as a yes.” Pinkie decided with a roll of her eyes before she leaped out of bed and trotted over to the door to the bathroom.

Inside the bathroom Faust was leaning against the mirror and sleeping once more, her snores sounding quietly against the tile. The sight of her friend in such a state caused Pinkie to giggle, then compose herself and shake her head. “Oh Faustie, c’mon it’s not sleepy time anymore, now it’s wakey time!” Pinkie declared and turned on her water, then placed her hoof under the flowing stream to sent a splash of it up into Faust’s face. Yelping the startled mare jumped back and fell onto her back, then blinked up at Pinkie.

“Why’d you do that?” She demanded of her new friend and Pinkie grinned.

“So we can start the new day silly! You’re on a vacation and every pony needs to make new friends on a vacation! But you can’t make new friends in your sleep so you have to wake up first… well, unless you’re Princess Luna. I bet she can make all kinds of friends in her sleep, what with the dream walking and whatnot.” Pinkie replied and Faust grunted while picking herself up off of the floor. Shaking her head and sending rivulets of water flying from her wet mane, Faust then took a few calming breaths before glaring at Pinkie.

“You do realize the point of a vacation is for me to relax, right?” Faust questioned of her new friend and Pinkie nodded her head.

“Of course, but how can you relax if you never wake up? I mean sure sleep is resting and all but it’s not relaxing, they aren’t the same thing you know. That’s why they call it “R and R” for Rest and Relaxation and not just “R” for Restation, or Relest, or something like that. Hmmm… what do you think they’d call it, Faustie?” Pinkie questioned and Faust’s sleep addled brain had clearly failed to keep up with the point the pink party pony tried to make.

“Ugh… can we please just get ready, then grab something to eat; I need food before I can be alive at this hour… preferably with coffee, lots and lots of coffee.” The tired mare droned with a hoof to her aching head and the pink pony nodded her head.

“Okie-dokie-lokie, Faustie! That’s no problem at all, just let me brush my teeth and mane and I’ll go make us a super duper breakfast and then we can start the rest of the day!” Pinkie declared while Faust just leaned back and stared at the pink party pony. When she realized that Faust wasn't going to leave the pink pony couldn't help but sigh. She then grabbed the off-white mare, and pushed her out of the bathroom so that she could go about her morning routine in relative peace.

Admittedly her morning routine normally only consisted of brushing her mane and teeth and of course she also washed her hooves. But it was the principle of the thing! And while most other ponies would also take some time to brush their coats as well, Pinkie didn’t as it took time she’d rather spend partying, baking, or out with her friends. She washed her hooves because she was a baker, and over the years she'd become very paranoid that she would get other ponies sick.

After all, everypony knew that you couldn’t party or even smile if you were sick!

Regardless, as Pinkie went about her routine, Faust stumbled around the pink party pony’s room while still half asleep. Smacking her lips the off-white mare took a moment to look at a few of Pinkie’s pictures. Most of them focused on Pinkie’s life in Ponyville with surprisingly few, if any, even hinting at her past on the rock farm. Faust idly wondered why that was, but given how groggy she was her brain couldn’t really process much.

Instead the mare allowed her mind to drift in an attempt to figure out how she was going to pay for a trip to the spa. Pinkie had done more than enough for her as is and she’d never allow the party pony to pay for her trip. After all, Pinkie had already fed her, gave her a wonderful new sweater, allowed her to stay over for a while at least, and become her first friend in ponyville. Only a truly bad pony would ever take further advantage of such a kind mare.

Besides, it was her vacation and she was in no way going to allow some pony else to pay for it. Sure she didn’t have a bit to her name but she was a responsible mare, and she would take responsibility for not having bits. Even if she had to earn every last bit for a trip to the spa by herself, she would not let Pinkie pay for her!

Unfortunately, that left Faust with few other options. And it didn’t hurt that she had a nagging feeling that she’d forgotten something important. She mentally examined the feeling, only to come up short of an answer. It was something important, and she knew that, but with her brain addled by sleep she couldn’t quite place it. And if that weren’t the worst of things she also felt as if she was forgetting a slew of other things, which was unusual to say the least.

“Alright Faustie, bathroom’s all yours!” Pinkie declared as she bounced out of the bathroom and broke the off-white mare from her internal reverie. Faust idly nodded her head and trotted into the room, her eyes still dazed. “So um, Faustie, what do you plan to do today?” Pinkie questioned unsurely and Faust sighed quietly. “I mean I know you wanted to head to the spa, but um… they sort of charge bits.” The Pink Party Pony noted nervously and Faust idly nodded her head in agreement as she used her magic to brush her teeth and fix her hair.

“Don’t worry about it Pinkie, I’ll figure something out.” Faust assured her friend after she spat into the sink and frowned in thought. Her list of skills were admittedly low, besides what she’d been doing for centuries, she wasn’t skilled in much else. It wasn’t surprising really, she’d pretty much never needed to know how to do much else, and her job had never really let her experiment in the kitchen with how demanding it was and so she had little skill there.

Not to say she couldn’t cook, she’d learned from Cotton-Candy back in the day, but her skills were nothing compared to a pony like Pinkie who practically specialized in baked goods.

“But how are you going to earn any bits? I mean it’s not like you can just walk up to some random pony, offer to do an equally random job, and get paid for it when you’re done.” Pinkie reminded the off-white mare and Faust grimaced, she hadn’t really considered that after all.

“Well I guess that’s true… maybe I could try something at The Library. I’m an archivist and I’m pretty sure my skills could be used there.” Faust noted aloud while idly using her horn to levitate some water and wash her face and hooves.

“But you’re on vacation Faustie! That means no work; you can’t earn bits doing your job when you’re trying to get away from your job!” Pinkie declared with a nod of her head and Faust giggled quietly and shook her head.

“I suppose you have a point. But it’s not like I can do much of anything else, my special talent technically precludes to writing.” Faust stated as she idly flicked the water from her hooves and collected the water droplets in midair. She then deposited the water back into the sink and let off a soft sigh, trying to think of a way to earn some bits. Her skills in levitation were all she knew were above average, far above average, but that skill was more or less useless unless she was doing a big job or three.

“If you’re sure, but would you at least like to earn a few extra bits helping out around Sugar-Cube Corner? I’m sure the cakes wouldn’t mind helping out a little Faustie.” Pinkie offered and the off-white mare hummed and considered her friend’s offer for a moment.

“Sure.” Faust replied while walking out of the bathroom, still wearing her green sweater. In all honesty she didn’t understand the need for such clothing, it was silly, it was pointless, but she actually liked the sweater. For one, it was comfortable, for another it was practical as Winter-Wrap-Up had only been a few weeks before, and there was still a bit of chill in the air. The fact it was a few sizes too big didn't matter either as it would probably fit her true form as well.

“Awesome! C’mon Faustie, I’ll even show you a fun couple of games we can play to make cleaning seem less like work!” Pinkie offered and Faust smiled gratefully and followed the mare down into the bakery with a friendly smile.

--

Faust’s tower was almost unnaturally quiet without it’s mistress to roam its ancient halls. The place was dead and deserted. Until with an explosion of light, a mismatched creature formed with its forelimbs stretched into the air. “Hellooooooo, Faust! I’m home!” The Draconequus exclaimed before blinking and looking around the entry hall. “Hello? Is anyone even here?” Discord, spirit of chaos and newly reformed villain questioned before scratching his head.

Making his way through the tower, Discord first went up as it was fairly early and if Faust would be anywhere it was getting her coffee. After all, the mare could barely function in the morning without it. That thought made Discord wonder how she had survived back before the discovery of coffee, and amused him greatly imagining how the mare had likely been even more irritable and overworked than she was in recent years.

Snickering to himself, Discord put such thought on the back burner, instead focusing on finding the mare who owned the tower. Thus Discord snapped his fingers and vanished with a sudden flash of light, only to reappear in the towers kitchen. “C’mon now Faust, there’s no need to be shy I don’t bite anymore.” Discord stated while looking around, then frowned and jumped into one of her pots, only to come out under her table.

“Faust come out, I’m here to…” He stopped to shudder and shake in revulsion before glancing around. “Apologize for messing up your records, I know how boring having to change them back had to be and I figured I could make it up to you.” Discord stated as he glanced around the dining room. “Look I even have some delicious ice cream as a peace offering, marvelous stuff and I know you don’t have any in the tower.” Discord offered while forming a tub of the icy treat in his claw and frowned when the mare continued to be a no show.

Humming lightly the Spirit of Chaos made his way into the kitchen and opened up an oven before sticking his head inside. His head then came out inside of the pantry and he took a bite out of an apple therein. Taking the fruit with him as he came out of the oven / pantry Discord continued to eat it and wander around searching for Faust. It was when he came to a pot of unmade coffee that the Draconequus widened his eyes in shock.

“Alright, something is very wrong here, Faust is a zombie without caffeine to get her going.” Discord stated to himself and then tossed his apple, which was no on fire, into a trashcan which spontaneously combusted behind him. Sparing the spectacle a passing glance he snapped his fingers to restore the trashcan and made his way to Faust’s chambers. “Ooh, maybe I actually get to scare her awake!” He considered with a grin while snapping his fingers and vanishing in a flash once more.

Reappearing in the off-white mare’s bed chambers Discord was now dressed like a fancy butler, complete with mustache. “Good evening madam Faust, I have your newspaper ready as well as a list of the hundreds of chores and jobs that you are absolutely required to do before you can even think to have any sort of fun.” Discord stated with a smirk while holding out a newspaper, The “Chaotic” Times, only to raise a brow when he saw no sign of Faust in her room.

“Alright now I know something is wrong.” Discord growled out before snapping his fingers and vanishing once more. The Spirit of Chaos reappeared in the main hall of the tower and glanced around before reaching up with a paw. Pulling down a strange horn the reformed Draconequus, then smacked his head in order to change himself; now sporting a strange mustache, a monocle, and a snazzy little Top hat.

“Miss Faust, Miss Faust, your presence is required in the foyer. Please come posthaste and remember, no galloping in the halls!” The Draconequus stated in a distinctly stuffy voice, one arm bent behind his back. However when Faust didn’t appear, or more likely start yelling at him, Discord looked around more than a little unnerved. Not only because his jokes were being left unappreciated, for once, but because as of now he was almost certain that Faust wasn’t home.

It was no lie that Faust was likely the best mare for her job. Recording and then archiving History was no fool’s errand after all. Even he wouldn’t say that her job was pointless. If she didn’t exist no one would record his chaos for posterity! But there was an even more dire reason for Faust to exist, and a greater purpose to her presence in The Tower. It was not so much to record everything, but more to protect all that collected knowledge from those who would use it to their own advantage.

“Now look here Faust, I know we don’t get along but that’s no reason to ignore me!” Discord shouted loudly while looking around for any sign of life. Unfortunately the Spirit of Chaos was starting to feel antsier and thus snapped his fingers to disappear. He reformed inside of a strange, crazed room with what looked like endless stairs bending and turning in all directions. Strangely enough, this was actually a room in The Tower and not one of his own creations.

“Ahhh… that’s so much better, sweet sweet chaos you never let me down.” The Draconequus declared with a shudder of joy and then cupped his chin. “Alright, so Faust isn’t home, what’s the worst thing that could possibly happen?” Discord questioned while floating among the stairs, his very nature as the spirit of all things disharmonious suddenly conjuring the worst possible scenario from somewhere in the depths of his mind.

Said scenario was actually simple enough, some stupid unicorn, he liked Trixie so she’d be his inner scape-goat, could waltz right into the tower. Once inside and with no all-powerful Alicorn to stop her, the unicorn would have full access to all the most powerful spells in all of history, even the lost ones. Not only that but have access to the notes which had originally lead to Faust becoming an Alicorn, thus the secret would be blown, and the unicorn would also become all powerful and…

“No! While that would be an admittedly amusing bout of chaos on Faust’s watch. I’m supposed to be good now so I can’t let that happen!” Discord declared, being surprisingly noble for once in his extended life. “Besides that, I really don’t want more of those annoying spoilsport Alicorns running around! Four of ‘em are more than enough to bug me as is!” He added, thus completely ruining any possible idea that he was ever noble…

The Draconequus frowned to himself as he considered ways he could protect the tower. First up was that he could stay, and while the Crazy Stairs room, the Labyrinth, and the plethora of other chaotic rooms Faust had would likely keep him very entertained, he liked being free a bit more. It also didn’t hurt that Faust’s tower was hidden away and it was unlikely that anypony could get at it, but that didn’t make it impossible.

It was the fact that it was possible for some random pony to stumble on Faust’s tower that worried him so much. He’d done so as well back when he was the ruler of Equestria, and took to picking on Faust whenever he got the chance. He admitted that doing so was in very poor taste, and that Faust’s job was boring enough without him messing with her. But then again it was also so much fun to mess with her! She always made the most amusing faces when she got mad at him!

Shaking his head of such thoughts Discord returned to his original train of thought, a sudden idea sparking in his mind and causing him to grin darkly. “Well now that is a positively delicious idea.” He said to himself as he sat up and began to rub his paw / claw together with an evil grin across his face. His idea was crazy, it’d leave Equestria in utter panic and chaos, and it would also be so worth it!

And the best part was that he even had a valid reason for doing it. Celestia and Luna couldn’t punish him for doing something to protect Equestria, so it was a win win on his part!

“Oh yes, I think I know of a way to make a little chaos, and also be a good little soldier for Celestia.” The so-called “reformed” villain noted before grinning to himself and snapping his claws once more, an amused chuckle echoing throughout the tower as he suddenly vanished in a flash of light…

--

Faust ducked down below a finished cake and placed it onto a tray while levitating the tray to a counter. At the same time she was stirring several bowls of batter and putting some cakes and pastries into and out of the many ovens in the bakery. Also at the same time she had cleaning supplies moving through the area to clean any mess left in the wake of the many floating baked goods being shifted all around.

Faust found it oddly fun to be using her skill with levitation in this way. It wasn’t because she was earning bits, but because she had a friend making it more enjoyable. After a brief song and dance on making cupcakes, the off-white mare had been put on cupcake duty while Pinkie worked on a cake or two. Halfway through her first batch, Faust started humming an old song and then began to levitate everything around them with her magic.

Pinkie herself watched it all with amusement, weaving and moving through the objects with surprising ease and delight. She giggled as a broom walked by on its bristles, a mop following behind it and a bucket of water trailing behind that. “This is soooo awesome!” Pinkie declared happily, Faust giggling and smiling as she continued to hum a merry little tune. Pinkie joined in on humming the tune, thinking it familiar for a moment before continuing her own work.

The Pink Party Pony soon found herself literally walking on bowls Faust moved for her to use as steps. Digging into a cabinet and still humming the tune, her tail shaking in time with its beat, the pink party pony brought out a few bags of sugar. Her desired confection located she jumped to the side and slid down a trail of red magic with a squeal of delight. Landing on her hooves and giggling happily the mare glanced around for her sugar.

The corner of a bag suddenly tapped her shoulder and the party pony grinned seeing her bags trapped in a crimson magical glow. “Oh thanks!” The mare declared happily while taking the sugar, Faust rolling her eyes and smiling to herself. It was definitely more fun using her magic with someone around to enjoy it. Pinkie was probably the only adult mare that would enjoy such a silly use of levitation, but it was still far more enjoyable than her usual workday.

Still humming quietly Faust let out a slight yawn as she started to bob her head to the tune. Her magic continued moving even as she struggled to keep herself awake and at least somewhat coherent. Unfortunately the last time she’d had such trouble… well, let’s just say her tower was never quite that clean again. Keeping one eye open as she continued humming and using her magic, Faust took a batch of cupcakes out and place them onto the counter.

“Oh Faustie, this is so much fun!” Pinkie declared while riding one of her bags of sugar around the room, opening it over a bowl to allow it to spill out. “I normally love baking, but it’s never been so much fun before!” The pink party pony declared with a laugh as she was whisked away by the floating bag of sugar. Faust smiled in appreciation, watching Pinkie as she somehow kept up and worked with the floating and seemingly living objects around them.

“Really? You’ve never had a unicorn do this before?” Faust questioned and Pinkie silently shook her head while stirring one of her own bowls of batter. “That’s weird, Cotton-Candy and I used to do this all the time.” Faust noted aloud, only to frown as memories of the past crept into her mind, and Pinkie looked up with a confused look on her face.

“Hey, I thought you said you couldn’t bake?” Pinkie noted and Faust nodded her head.

“I can’t, not really at least. But Cotton-Candy was a master with sweets; it was her special talent after all, but in any case she sort of tried teaching me. Although I honestly think she preferred eating sweets to baking them.” The off-white mare replied and Pinkie made an oh with her mouth then returned to her own sweets. She licked a floating spoon for a quick taste test, grinned widely, and returned to her work with a bounce in her step.

“Still, I’m glad you decided you’d work here for some bits. Not that I don’t think you could’ve found something else to do in Ponyville, but this is the most fun I’ve had in the kitchen in forever!” Pinkie declared with a giggle as she hopped to the side and kicked a cake into an oven.

“But I thought you loved baking things for your friends, and every pony in Ponyville is your friend, so you’re always baking for your friends.” Faust reminded the pink party pony, which caused Pinkie to stop for a moment and then grin.

“Hey yeah you’re right! I totally never thought of it like that! That means I’m always baking for my friends no matter what I do!” The pink mare chirped happily then hopped over to Faust to silently watch the pastries as they continued to float around them.

“Pinkie, what is that racket in there?” Mrs. Cake questioned as she walked into the kitchen, only to yelp and duck beneath a floating tray of cookies which one of them had baked… though when they did was any ponies’ guess at this point.

“Hi Misses Cake!” The pink party pony exclaimed while Faust silently hummed and bobbed her head to the tune, idly making more and more treats without so much as thinking about it. “Look at all the treats we’ve made!” Pinkie declared and waved over to an ever growing mountain of cake and pastries which made the older mare’s eyes widen.

“Oh my… um, Pinkie I think this might be a bit too much!” Mrs. Cake declared with wide eyes and Pinkie raised a brow and then stopped to look at the mass of baked goods. She idly noted that besides cakes there were also muffins, cookies, cupcakes, and somehow a few other pastries she’d never even seen before sticking out here and there… and the pile was still growing as Faust silently did all the work.

“Whoa, uhh… Faustie I think we need to stop baking now.” Pinkie said and yet the off-white mare seemed to either ignore her or didn’t hear her as she continued to hum and bob her head to the tune. Mrs. Cake listened to the tune for a moment, picking up the ups and downs in her head before she finally realized why it sounded so familiar.

“Is that “The Princess’s Apprentice” she’s humming?” Mrs. Cake questioned seriously and Pinkie looked from her employer to the other mare and shrugged.

“I don’t know, I just thought it was a fun little tune.” Pinkie admitted and then yelped as more baked goods started to pile up and nearly fell on her.

“Well I was asking because it’s an old symphony I heard as a filly. According to my mother it was written about a student to the Princess who used magic too powerful for her and flooded her master’s home. It also involved living brooms and cleaning utensils if memory serves.” Mrs. Cake explained while watching one of the living brooms sweep the floor. “So maybe this is that famous apprentice…” The mare wondered suspiciously as she stared at Faust intently.

“Well I don’t know about that, I think Twilight would mention if the princess had another student.” Pinkie noted while trotting over to Faust and dodging the ever moving mass of baked goods and cleaning utensils. Ducking under some of the flying objects Pinkie popped up next to Faust and shook her awake. “Faustie stop it already! We have way more than enough cake and treats to feed all of Ponyville!” The pink party pony exclaimed loudly, which served to startle her friend awake.

Faust blinked her eyes open and looked around to see the chaos she had wrought. She let out a groan and brought a hoof to her face, then dragged it down and sighed tiredly. This wasn’t the first time she’d let her magic run away with her, not by a long shot, and it wasn’t even the most impressive incident. However that still didn’t make Faust feel any better about the fact that she had, yet again, caused havoc by losing track of herself.

“Not again…” The mare bemoaned quietly then let out a breath and concentrated on stopping all the baked goods. Those that were already filled quickly went to bake and those that weren’t went to the side. Looking to Mrs. Cake sheepishly Faust bowed her head. “Sorry about that, I’ll sometimes lose track of myself if I’m having too much fun or when I’m really sleepy.” The mare offered with a thin blush on her face, and Mrs. Cake let out a quick breath.

“It’s alright dear, no harm no foul.” Mrs. Cake assured with a friendly smile, and then looked to the small mountain of treats. “Just… never ever try to use your magic like that ever again. It saves time sure, but I’d rather not have so many treats. We can only sell so many in a day and they don’t keep for long, even with magic.” Mrs. Cake pleaded and the off-white mare nodded her head in agreement with the baker.

“I’m so sorry Misses Cake, Faustie and I tried to finish all the baking for you as fast as possible. And well… she has some really awesome levitation magic!” Pinkie explained with a sheepish grin while Faust chuckled nervously. Mrs. Cake on the other hoof looked around and then stopped on a broom that walked by sweeping up the floor while a mop and bucket followed behind it and decided that this was a bit much, even for Pinkie.

“Err yes… I see. Well I think you girls have really done more than enough. So if you wouldn’t mind disenchanting everything I’ll pay you and you can have the rest of the day off…” Mrs. Cake offered then twitched as more objects flew overhead. “… and maybe even the rest of the week as well.” She mumbled while glancing at how the objects defied all laws of gravity thanks to the off-white mare Pinkie had recently befriended.

“Really? Awesome! C’mon Faustie let’s put everything away and head over to the spa!” Pinkie stated with a grin and Faust nodded silently. Narrowing her eyes the off-white mare stood on her hooves and the dishes began to float to the sink where they began to wash themselves in beat to the tune Faust started humming once more. The broom continued to sweep, the mop continued to mop, and now several towels came and dried everything behind them.

Soon enough everything was clean and even sparkled, Mrs. Cake gaped in a mixture of shock and awe, and Pinkie practically buzzed with excitement. “That was so awesome, Faustie! The only Unicorn I’ve ever seen do something like that is Rarity, and even she can’t make all that move all at once! I mean Twilight might be able to, but I’ve never seen her do so much with the ease you do it all!” Pinkie gushed excitedly while Faust let out a breath and blew into her mane.

“I actually got so powerful because of Archiving; I’ll move all my work around at once just like that for filing and such. I’ve just gotten good at doing it over the years.” Faust replied casually, Pinkie tilting her head before bouncing over to Mrs. Cake. Said blue mare stared at Faust for a moment longer before finally pulling her jaw from the floor and looked back to Pinkie.

“Pinkie, are you absolutely positive she’s a normal mare and not a princess… cause that display really seemed like a bit much for a normal unicorn.” The older mare stated and Pinkie looked to Faust who chuckled nervously. Pinkie sighed, turned back to Mrs. Cake, and nodded her head.

“She says she isn’t a princess, and I don’t know of any princess that looks like her.” Pinkie replied and Mrs. Cake looked to Faust a moment longer before she turned and made her way to the register in the main room. “You know Faustie; I bet it gets annoying how ponies think you’re a princess all the time.” Pinkie noted and Faust let out a breath and nodded her head.

“Somehow I have the feeling it’ll become more annoying as time goes by.” She replied honestly before the two mares walked out to see Mrs. Cake taking some bits from the register.

“Alright, here you are girls. Try not to spend it all in one place.” Mrs. Cake said as she gave the bits to the two mares, Faust grasped hers in her magic while Pinkie somehow managed to hold hers in one hoof. The off-white mare actually stared when she saw this, and wondered how a flat hoof could possibly hold a bag. She inwardly theorized a few possibilities, but Pinkie was an Earth Pony which made it even more confusing.

“Thanks Mrs. Cake!” Pinkie happily announced before she slipped her bits into her mane. Faust couldn’t help but star when this happened, idly turning all around to try and see where the bits had gone. “Whelp, we’re heading over to the spa, see you later! Oh, and there’s still a cake in the oven.” Pinkie declared happily then grabbed Faust and pulled her off behind her. Mrs. Cake let out a breath she hadn’t known she was holding in when they were finally gone.

She loved Pinkie dearly; the other mare was almost like a little sister to her. She couldn’t really think of Pinkie as a daughter since she wasn’t quite that much older than her. But even she could admit that the pink party pony was a bit too much to handle. Living with her for a few years had dulled the effects by a wide margin, she was used to Pinkie’s “Uniqueness”, but when you added other strange ponies to the mix it tended to get out of hoof…

“I swear, sometimes it’s like Pinkie gets stranger and stranger friends every week.” The older mare murmured under her breath before silently making her way into the kitchen. With the work done for the day, more or less, she’d now have to take inventory and likely set up a sale. If for nothing else then to get rid of all the baked goods before they went stale.

Meanwhile, Pinkie and Faust trotted through Ponyville, Faust humming a soft tune. “Hey, I think I’ve heard Fluttershy singing that before.” Pinkie noted with a smile only to tilt her head as Faust let out a sigh. The off-white mare was lost in her memories, idly remembering the past when she would bake with her own friends. Cotton Candy and Surprise were both notorious sweet addicts after all, although Cotton Candy was far worse about it than Surprise had ever been.

“It’s actually the oldest song in recorded history. It predates Celestia and Luna, Starswirl the Bearded, and even the Crystal Empire. Its lyrics have been lost to time but parents still sing the tune to their foals to help them get to sleep at night.” Faust replied without thinking, still traveling down memory lane and a sad expression crossing her face as she remembered her long lost friends…

“Oh that is so cool! I wonder if Fluttershy knows how old the song is or if she knows its lost lyrics?” Pinkie questioned and Faust giggled quietly.

“Probably not Pinkie, but new lyrics have been given to the tune over the centuries; Princess Celestia even commissioned a new set of lyrics in honor of her student and the other elements of Harmony.” Faust replied and a wide grin spread across the pink party ponies face.

“Really? That is so awesome!” Pinkie declared with a happy bounce and Faust couldn’t hold in a giggle at her antics. Sure Pinkie was immature, it was very clear to the off-white mare, but she actually found it rather refreshing. Unfortunately as they trotted into the busy streets of Ponyville, more than a few of its citizens started looking at Faust warily. The looks were only somewhat subtle as they were at least trying not to stare, but still more than a few were curious.

Of course Faust was becoming more and more aware that her “Disguise” hadn’t been the best of choices for a disguise. She had assumed that Winged Unicorns and Horned Pegasi were normal in this age, and she had records which stated as such. However thinking back to those records, Faust remembered that some of the ponies on them had only vestigial wings at best, or their horns were misshapen. At worst the horns / wings weren’t even fully developed or were extremely fragile.

And if that were the case then Faust reasoned that the pony, or perhaps their parents, would have the useless appendages / growths entirely removed at a young age. In fact, now that she took the time to think about it, it seemed very likely to have happened. Sure the few foals born with both fully intact would likely have kept them. But on the flip side those with wings that weren’t fully developed or horns that were broken or otherwise deformed would likely have had them removed at a young age.

“That would certainly explain why so few of them are around after all this time. And it might even explain all the looks if they were more confused with why I kept both…” Faust reasoned aloud and Pinkie shot her a curious look.

“Uh, what was that Faustie?” Pinkie questioned of her off-white friend and Faust smiled softly.

“Oh nothing Pinkie, I was just thinking out loud for a moment.” Faust replied dismissively and the pink party pony shrugged. They returned to their companionable silence; however it seemed that Pinkie was now more acutely aware of the stares around them. The Pink Party Pony glanced around several times, each time some pony or other tried to quickly look away so as not to be blatantly caught staring at them.

Glancing around, Pinkie couldn’t help but notice the looks and frowned. “Boy, ponies sure seem confused by you huh, Faustie?” Pinkie couldn’t help but notice and the off-white mare nodded her head.

“Yeah, I think having both wings and a horn is still a bit of an oddity, especially in a small town like this. Admittedly more and more foals are popping up with both of them, but now that I stop to think about it only one in every ten of those have both fully developed while the others have them removed. The fact I have both, fully intact I might add, is more than an oddity and clearly they are curious about them.” Faust explained to her friend with a wave of her hoof.

It was the best explanation she had at the moment, and it seemed the most likely reason for the stares in her mind. Pinkie however merely shrugged, she wasn’t as curious about the why, and merely hoped that the ponies would eventually stop staring at Faust like she was strange. In her mind it couldn’t be fun to have every pony constantly staring at you, well unless you liked that kind of thing, but clearly Faust did not.

“Well in any case, I hope that ponies get used to you soon Faustie, it wouldn’t be any fun to be on vacation if ponies are always nervous around you.” The pink pony noted and a smile crossed her off-white friend’s face, before she glanced to the sky.

“Sun in the sky, I certainly hope you’re right Pinkie.” Faust mumbled to herself, Pinkie looking to her with a raised brow.

“Sun in the sky?” She questioned curiously and Faust froze and mentally cursed. She’d actually forgotten that ponies didn’t swear by the sun or moon anymore, now it was all “Celestia” this or “Luna” that. Sometimes she really missed the good old days when you could swear by a heavenly body without having to refer to some pony.

“In ancient times Ponies actually worshiped the sun as a deity and the moon as her sister. In fact, ponies only started to use Celestia and Luna’s names in place of simply “Sun” or “Moon” around the time that they became princesses. Some ponies even believed that they were the sun and moon made manifest, although this couldn’t be further from the truth.” Faust explained as calmly as possible, given she was trying not to alert ponies to her. Pinkie made an understanding noise, then stopped and raised a brow when she realized something.

“Wait, you know about stuff from before the Princesses were even princesses?” Pinkie asked with a suspicious look, and the off-white mare mentally kicked herself for the slip. And she really did wonder what was wrong with her today.

“Oh well, um… yeah. There are a still a scant few records of the old days that have survived the ages. I read through some of them and discovered the old saying. Even Celestia herself still swears by the sun and moon.” Faust explained quickly although felt a bit bad for the outright lie she was telling her friend. Pinkie on the other hoof rubbed at her chin thoughtfully for a moment. The Pink Party Pony then cast a suspicious look at Faust, the off-white mare feeling more than a little unnerved by the attention.

“Are you sure there’s nothing else you wanted to tell me?” She asked the off-white mare suspiciously and Faust shook her head quickly with a strained grin.

“No, nothing at all! What else could I possibly have to add?” The mare declared a little too loudly and watched nervously as Pinkie regarded her once more. Soon enough the Pink Party Pony shruuged her shoulders and smiled at Faust.

“Well c’mon then Faustie, let’s get you over to the spa!” Pinkie declared with a smile and Faust breathed a sigh of relief. The off-white mare was glad to get off such a sensitive topic, she didn’t like lying to Pinkie, but she honestly didn’t want to be treated differently just because she was an Alicorn. Especially since being an Alicorn was more or less taken in tandem with being a Princess in this day and age.

“Right, let’s do that before I stress myself out even more.” Faust murmured in agreement with the pink pony. Pinkie herself looked at her new friend with concern, and noted just how jumpy the mare was acting. She idly wondered if perhaps she was always so highly strung, before she realized something about the off-white mare.

“You know, you’re a lot like my friend Twilight. She’s always stressing herself out, even about little things. Like this one time she thought she needed to send a new friendship report to the princess and kind of caused the town to go nuts. Or there was this other time where she tried to figure out my Pinkie-Sense. Or another when…” Pinkie explained and went into a bit of a tangent while Faust couldn’t help a wince in sympathy for the purple unicorn.

After all, while it had been many years, she had once been a relatively normal mare with a normal, if not stressful, life. And as Faust was lost in her memories, Pinkie suddenly stopped her story. Faust didn’t notice in the slightest however, as Pinkie spotted a regal white unicorn trotting in the same general direction they were. She then grinned widely when she saw the familiar marshmallow white mare with the curled violet mane and tail.

“Hi Rarity!” She declared loudly, the cry startled the white mare and she looked around before finally spotting her friend. Rarity quickly composed herself and smiled as she approached the pink party pony.

“Why hello there darling, how are you?” Rarity questioned of her friend cheerfully, the sudden voice drawing Faust out of her reverie. The off-white in-disguise alicorn mare blinked and glanced at the new pony. She instantly recognized the mare as none other than Rarity, of course Pinkie shouting her name had helped a bit. However she also noted that the mare bore a passing resemblance to her old mentor and friend, Princess Majesty.

“Oh I’m fine.” Pinkie assured Rarity with a grin then brought a foreleg over Faust’s withers. “I’m just out helping my new friend, Faustie!” Pinkie explained with a grin and the fashionista raised a brow and looked to Faust with a curious glance. Only to twitch when she saw the baggy green sweater Faust wore.

“Darling I do hope that it’s not too forward of me to ask this, but umm… why exactly are you wearing that sweater?” Rarity questioned of the off-white mare with a visible shudder. Faust idly raised a brow; inwardly she wondered why she shuddered like that and why she was staring at her sweater like she was.

“Because I like it…” Faust replied unsurely and before Rarity could say anymore Pinkie intervened with a slight snicker.

“Don’t mind Rarity, Faustie, she’s had a bit of a “thing” about the color green since Trixie turned her mane green.” Pinkie explained with a grin and Rarity fixed Pinkie with a sudden look. Faust on the other hand made an oh with her mouth and gave a silent nod. She idly remembered that incident but hadn’t thought it would have such an effect on the unicorn mare. Then again she’d seen lesser incidents have even stranger effects on Ponies.

“I do not have a “thing” against the color green!” The said white mare insisted then exhaled a breath and tried to regain her composure. In truth she didn’t have a thing about the color green; she just thought the baggy old sweater was a bit much. Especially since the sweater was clearly made to be worn by a mare of a rather significant size larger than Faust. “In any case darling, do pardon my rudeness, I’m…” Rarity started only for Faust to quickly interrupt her.

“Rarity, Element of Generosity, owner of Carousel Boutique, Ponyville’s Premiere Fashionista. On most days you can be found making dresses or hunting for gems. Although your special talent at a cursory glance pertains to finding gems, it’s actually for finding inner beauty, like discovering a diamond hidden within a bit of coal.” Faust stated crisply, and then looked to Rarity to see the mare staring at her strangely.

“Yes, actually.” Rarity responded unsurely at first, and then smiled proudly. “Well it’s nice to see that my reputation precedes me. Although the bit about my cutie-mark is rather interesting, I’d never actually thought of it like that.” Rarity admitted while idly taking a moment to consider the off-white mare’s idea of what her special-talent was. “In any case I don’t believe I caught your name, miss…?” Rarity questioned and Faust rolled her eyes.

“Faust, my name is Faust.” The off-white mare replied with a slight incline of her head. “And before you ask, I’m a Winged Unicorn, not an Alicorn.” Faust added with a frown, clearly tired of explaining the difference, which Rarity wisely left alone. The white mare was actually more surprised and confused by her name, as she had never heard such a name before.

“Well I admit I wondered about that too, I’m actually a bit more curious about your rather interesting name. I dare say that I’ve never heard of any quite like it.” Rarity admitted curiously and Faust chuckled lightly.

“Yeah, it’s kind of from a really old legend.” Faust responded with a wave of one hoof, which was basically a half truth. Faust was a name from legend, true, but that was because it was her name and she was essentially a myth to most Ponies.

“Well in any case it’s a pleasure to meet you Miss Faust.” Rarity offered with a curt bow of her head, which Faust found fitting of the proper pony. Rarity then looked up for a moment then clicked her tongue and turned to Pinkie. “Do forgive me Pinkie, I’d love to stay and chat some more but I actually have a prior engagement that I simply must attend too.” The fashion pony stated only for Pinkie to slip to her side with a grin.

“You’re heading for your weekly spa-visit with Fluttershy right?” Pinkie questioned of her friend and Rarity gave a slow nod of her head. “Then no worries! Faustie and I were just on our way to the spa as well!” Pinkie explained and Rarity looked back to the said off-white mare.

“So I suppose since you two are heading to the Day Spa, that she has a rather stressful job and is in dire need of relaxation.” Rarity reasoned and Pinkie snorted and nodded her head.

“Totally, but I also kind of think Faustie might be really highly strung like Twilight. Cause she seems to overreact and get really stressed out a lot.” The Pink Pony replied with a wave of her hoof and in earshot of the off-white mare. Faust understandably shot her friend a rather sour look, eyes narrowed and lips pulled back in a tight frown.

“In my defense, Archiving is a lot more work than it sounds. Especially when I have to keep up with constant influxes of records, date every single report, and…” Faust started to rant only to stop when she noticed Pinkie and Rarity giving her a look. The off-white mare then chuckled nervously and scraped her hoof along the ground as she looked down. “Sorry about that, my job is kind of a sore spot for me.” The off-white mare apologized and Rarity trotted to her side.

“Oh it’s quite alright darling; I know how troublesome it can be trying to keep up with ever mounting piles of work day in and day out without any free time to relax and unwind. Even if you love what you do it can still wear on your nerves.” Rarity replied with a sympathetic look to the mare, and she shot Rarity a grateful smile in return. However both mares gave a yelp as Pinkie suddenly jumped between them and brought them close to her sides.

“Alright girls lets shake those tails and get a move on! Woo!” Pinkie exclaimed before bouncing off in the direction of the Day Spa. Once the pink party pony was out of earshot Faust looked to an equally bewildered Rarity.

“I know I haven’t known her long, but I have to ask, is she always soo…?” Faust tried to question and Rarity slowly nodded her head.

“On most days, though sometimes she can actually be worse.” The white unicorn replied with a shudder and Faust felt no small amount of surprise.

“How bad are we talking?” The off-white mare questioned and Rarity rolled her eyes.

“Let’s just say she can be somewhat prone to antics… and leave it at that.” Rarity replied with a knowing smile, and Faust decided to leave it at that. After all, some things were just better left alone, and Pinkie Pie was certainly one of those things…

--

Princess Celestia, Co-Ruler of Equestria silently walked the halls of Canterlot Castle. Her horn enveloped in a golden glow as she looked over her faithful students notice. A frown marred her visage at the idea of a mare with access to such sensitive information. Rolling the parchment with her magic she frowned in thought. She had just finished speaking with the head-archivist and Archive Guards about the possibility of a break in.

However much to her confusion not only had there been no such break in, but neither the archivists nor the guards had ever so much as seen a mare like Faust. Celestia trusted her staff implicitly, and those who worked in the archives were all loyal to a fault. It was not without reason that there was a rather lengthy screening process for becoming an archivist in Canterlot.

The most important reason being the amount of sensitive information they would be required to handle, not to mention the amount of potentially dangerous spells that they would have to store. But regardless, the idea of some pony with personal information on one of Twilight’s friend was very worrying. And by the moon and stars she swore that she would get to the bottom of it!

“Sister, you seem perturbed.” The sudden voice of her sister startled Celestia out of her reverie though she hid it well. She silently glanced to her side and saw Luna looking at her, a curious look on the younger mare’s face. “Tell me, has something happened?” Luna questioned of her sister and Celestia clicked her tongue.

“Twilight has reported that there is a strange mare taking a vacation in Ponyville, one who had access to sensitive not to mention personal information on her friend Applejack.” Celestia responded and then looked away from her sister as she looked over what she knew of this mare named Faust. “The mare has stated she is an archivist, and the only archivists who would have access to the information mentioned are either in Ponyville or here Canterlot.” Celestia explained and Luna hummed as a frown crossed her face.

“I see. That is most distressing news, dear sister.” Luna noted seriously and Celestia nodded her head in agreement with the younger alicorn. “But pray tell; are any of our Archivists on vacation in Ponyville then?” Luna asked and Celestia narrowed her eyes. They were still walking the halls of the castle, a stray Guard here and there saluting as they passed by. Idly, Celestia noted that they were heading in the direction of their quarters, which suited her just fine.

She needed to think, and she did her best thinking in her study. And she had much to think about on this matter; who this strange mare was, and how she had acquired such information were but one part of it. Another was why the mare’s name had been so familiar to her. Not only that but she had felt a brief moment of happiness when she read the name out loud. She also felt that she wasn’t taking this breach of security as seriously as she should be, more because of that name than anything.

“No, I actually just finished speaking with the head-archivist on such matters and it seems every pony is present and accounted for.” The ancient mare responded while continuing to ponder the situation and Luna hummed once more.

“Did you happen to get this mare’s name then?” Luna questioned and Celestia nodded her head.

“Faust.” She stated simply and Luna raised a brow.

“What?” The lunar diarch questioned and Celestia released a soft sigh.

“Her name is Faust.” Celestia reported and saw an odd look cross Luna’s face.

“Truly?” The starry maned mare inquired and Celestia nodded her head, a frown crossing Luna’s face soon after. “Hmm… an Archivist named Faust. That seems oddly familiar.” Luna murmured and Celestia glanced to her sister curiously.

“Luna, could you possibly tell me how you feel when you heard the name?” Celestia questioned of her sister and Luna gave her a confused look.

“Why?” Luna asked bluntly, Celestia sighing when she did. Luna had never been one for beating around the bush. Even as a foal she’d always been rather blunt and to the point. Then again it didn’t hurt that a thousand years ago it was normal for them to be blunt. There was a reason that the “Traditional Royal Canterlot Voice” was little better than screaming with enough force to shatter stone…

“When I first read the name out loud I felt it was familiar. At first I had believed I’d known a mare by that name before. Given my age it wouldn’t be unusual for me to have known a different Faust.” Celestia admitted as they turned down a hall and approached the doors to her study. “However, I also felt strangely happy to hear the name, especially coupled with her work as an Archivist, as if I knew the mare at some time.” Celestia explained and Luna raised a brow.

“I see, well I can say that I…” Luna started before she silenced herself and narrowed her eyes. “Sister, did you leave the door to your study open?” Luna questioned and the solar diarch frowned deeply.

“No. I didn’t.” She replied as both royal pony sisters approached the door and threw it open with a flourish. Both sisters were thus surprised to see a familiar Draconequus reclining in midair with an old leather bound book in hand. He seemed to ignore both princesses in favor of the book as well, silently flipping through it before snickering into his claw.

“My my Celly, who knew that you could actually be fun…” Discord mumbled with an amused grin as he flipped through the book, Celestia’s eyes narrowing on him dangerously.

“Discord!” The Solar Diarch growled at the intruder angrily before trying to lung at him. Luna quickly placed a hoof on her sister’s tail to stop her, the older pony stumbling forward then glaring at her for protecting the mad Draconequus. Said mismatched mad pony had his left eye turn on his head to look at them while still reading the book with his right eye.

“Oh hello there you’re most esteemed royal majesties, how is every little thing?” Discord questioned with a grin stretched across his face. Celestia scowled and glared daggers at the Draconequus while Luna took a closer look at the book he was reading from. She then brought a hoof to her face and groaned in her throat while still holding Celestia back by her tail.

“Really, you’re reading from her diary? Really?” Luna questioned flatly and Discord shrugged his shoulders, even as he continued to flip through the book. Letting out a groan and continuing to restrain her livid sister, adding a bit of magical restraint to the physical, Luna fixed the Draconequus with a flat look. “Don’t you have better things to do than act like a foal?” The Lunar diarch questioned while Celestia growled angrily, and the mad Draconequus merely scoffed.

“For your information I’m actually here on important business.” Discord replied seriously, and then smirked as he continued to flip through Celestia’s diary. “I just got a bit sidetracked…” Discord mused as he stopped and read about a potentially juicy little tidbit from the solar diarchs past. “Ooh wouldn’t want that one getting out now would we?” He mused with a particularly evil grin on his face, and Celestia’s pupils dilated as all color instantly drained from her features.

Clearly the solar diarch had an inkling of what he’d discovered, and it clearly wasn’t something she wanted getting out. And while Luna was admittedly curious about what could turn her sister sheet white, she was not about to let Discord pick on her for chuckles.

“Discord, I believe that you have had more than enough fun at Celestia’s expense. Return my sisters belongings and get to the point.” Luna ordered sternly, her horn alight with midnight blue magic. The mad Draconequus gave a dramatic sigh as he rolled his eyes and turned upside down in midair.

“Oh fine, have it your way… miss spoilsport.” Discord harrumphed while crossing his arms, then sent the book flying at Celestia with a snap of his fingers. The Solar Diarch snatched the book out of the air all but quivering as she clutched it close to her chest and gave a grateful look to her sister.

“Honestly sister, you must hide your secrets more securely.” Luna chastised and Celestia’s look of gratitude turned to a flat one.

“Hide them, from the very spirit of chaos?” Celestia questioned flatly while she kept her diary as secure in her grasp as physically and magically possible. “You mean try to hide a book from the very same being that can warp reality itself to suit his whims.” She questioned flatly and Luna blinked and then smiled sheepishly.

“You make a good point.” Luna admitted , having briefly forgotten just who they were dealing with given how childish he was acting. Then again while he was indeed a genius, of sorts, Discord had never been one to pass up the chance to annoy her and Celestia. The mad Draconequus reading her sisters diary hardly seemed outlandish considering the other things he’d done simply to annoy them since earning his freedom.

The mass of spiders he beset upon Celestia, which she was deathly afraid of, had been proof of the fact he enjoyed a good prank. In fact, it seemed that now that he was essentially free he was using it as an excuse to prank them as often as he could. Somewhere in the back of her head, Luna believed that it was some kind of revenge for trapping him in stone for so long…

“Yeah, I’m pretty great.” Discord agreed while he buffed a claw against his chest and glanced at his nails. Grunting in annoyance, Luna briefly wondered whether or not she preferred Discord when he was their enemy. At least back then she didn’t have to suffer through his antics.

“What do you want Discord?” Celestia demanded with barely restrained anger, the mad Draconequus shooting the mare a mock hurt look.

“Why Celestia I’m shocked, simply shocked!" The Draconequus declared as he crossed his arms and shook his head. "I mean can’t I even visit old friends without being accused of wanting something?” The mad Draconequus questioned dramatically, both royal pony sisters looked to one another for only a second, before shooting him an un-amused stare.

“No.” They stated together and the spirit of chaos chuckled and wiped a mock tear from his eye.

“Oh you girls, you really do know me so well.” Discord admitted and then snapped his claws, where he then vanished in a sudden flash of light. The Mad Draconequus then reformed between the two sisters with an arm draped across their withers a wide grin stretched across his face. “Sadly I don’t really have time to explain everything here, and I really need you two to come with me.” The Mad Draconequus stated with a nod of his head as he watched both sisters.

And before either alicorn could react, the spirit of chaos quickly brought them close to his sides. “So since I’m a bit pressed for time… it’s time to go!” He stated jubilantly then snapped both his claw and paw before all three vanished in a sudden flash of light...

--

TBC…

Author's Note:

And it's finally done! I've been working on this one on and off for the past while, sadly Real Life can get in the way. Doesn't help that I'm kind of lazy but what can you do. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and continue to enjoy the story, until next time dear readers.