• Published 5th Feb 2013
  • 19,845 Views, 848 Comments

The Overworked Alicorn - BreakDown



(First story) Have you ever heard of of a mare named Faust? She's an Alicorn, just like the Princesses, but not a princess herself. Some say she's a queen, some say she's their mother. The truth, well... she's really overworked.

  • ...
19
 848
 19,845

Bonus: Letters to Faust... and others

(This is a Non-Canon chapter, done merely for the sake of my own amusement and because I thought it might be fun.)

Bonus Chapter:

Letters to Faust... and others


Within Faust's Tower, or at least an alternate one, the ivory mare sits in a quaint study. A smirk is on her face as she watched a certain brown pegasus sweep the floor... with his wings. "Why am I still a pegasus?" the brown pony questioned with a scowl. The ivory alicorn smiled and rolled her eyes.

"Because we don't want to add a 'human' tag to this story," she replied honestly. That did little to alieve the annoyance clear on the brown pegasus face. Instead it merely seemed to make him even more annoyed as he continued to sweep around the room with his wings.

"Alright, then why am I still doing this?" BreakDown growled at the mare darkly. The ancient alicorn merely giggled behind a hoof before she answered him.

"Because you took a week to get this out when it's supposed to be an apology for taking so long with the last chapter," she said with a nod of her head as if that was that. BreakDown grunted under his breath and quietly continued to sweep the floor with his wings. Faust watched him for a moment before turning and smiling in a seemingly random direction. "Hello every pony, sorry this took so long but our esteemed author here is notoriously lazy," Faust stated with a slight bow of her head. Clearly the said author took great offense as he glared at the ivory mare darkly.

"In my defense, you keep blasting me with dozens of ideas that you think would be cool for the story," the brown pegasus reminds with a scowl. "It's hard to finish a chapter if I have dozens of ideas running rampant in my skull," the author grumbled under his breath irritably. Ignoring the author with an amused smirk, the ivory mare turned back to the 'audience'.

"Please forgive the author," Faust started then raised a hoof to her mouth, "he's really grumpy," the mare mock whispered. The whisper was hardly quiet however as the brown pegasus in question glared at her yet again. The ancient alicorn giggled in response and then sighed and looked to the audience. "In any case, first I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the author for reading this story, he appreciates it more than you know," the ivory mare stated with a nod of acknowledgement. The brown pegasus in question raised a brow and glanced to the muse.

"Haven't I already thanked everyone who faved this story?" the brown pegasus questioned with a frown. Faust sighed tiredly and shot the author a brief look. He snorted lightly and returned to sweeping the floor, though clearly did so under extreme protest. Once the pegasi had returned to sweeping the floors, the ancient alicorn turned back to the audience with a soft smile.

"Anyways, as we said last chapter, this chapter will be dedicated to letters from the audience," Faust explained, then sighed. "Unfortunately it seems like either most didn't have a question, or just didn't read the Author's Note, so we only have three letters to read," the ivory mare explained with a sigh.

"I told you that hardly any pony ever reads the AN," BreakDown grumbled as he passed the mare. Faust felt her brow twitch and then smirked as a red glow surrounded her horn. A second later it surrounded the authors head and he widened his eyes. "Gah! Stop that! I don't need even more ideas for the story!" he cried out loudly. With her work done, a noticeably evil smirk on her lips, the ancient alicorn turned back to the audience.

"In any case, the first letter is a bit surprising as it isn't actually for me. As such we'll be heading down to the Sea-Pony city as it's for every ponies favorite Sea-Pony, Queen Aquaria," Faust explained as she rose up onto her hooves. She then grabbed BreakDown's tail with her magic and dragged him into the tower. The ancient alicorn hummed a jaunty tune as she maneuvered through her home and into the room that held the entrance to the Sea-Ponies city. The mare took a brief moment to pull a pair of chokers from a hook to the side and slipped one on around her neck.

With a shimmer of magic the ancient alicorn was encased into a body covering field of magic to allow her to breathe under water. A second later and BreakDown had one around his neck as well. The ivory mare then jumped into the water, pulling BreakDown behind her as she went. In the water she found a couple of Sea-Pony guards and smiled. "Alright girls, take us to see Queen Aquaria," she bade and the guards silently nodded and lunged forward. The two spun around Faust and BreakDown then shot down into the tunnel at breakneck speed.

Once they arrived at the palace of the sea-ponies, BreakDown was dragged out by Faust. "C'mon BreakDown get up and walk on your own four legs, the ideas should've stopped by now," the ancient alicorn grumbled with a frown. The brown pegasus in question merely growled and glared at her instead. "Fine then," the ivory mare mumbled with a shake of her head and continued to drag the pegasus behind her. The fact that she was dragging him by his tail certainly seemed to amuse several sea-ponies, who were also watching the brown pony with strange intensity.

"I really don't like those looks they're given me," BreakDown suddenly noted. The admission drew Faust's attention, as well as a smirk from the mare.

"He speaks," she said in mock surprise. Clearly not amused the author shot his current capture a glare. Faust snickered into a hoof and smiled as she trotted into the palace throne room. "Hey Riptide, I got a letter for you," the ivory mare stated while holding up said letter with her magic.

"I see, and what am I supposed to do with it?" Riptide questioned with a raised brow.

"Just tell us how you'd answer it and we'll see to it that the pony gets your reply," Faust replied with a knowing smirk and a wink. The sea-pony queen was a little confused however grasped the letter with her own magic regardless. She quickly brought it over to read it and then rolled her eyes.

Dear Queen Riptide

Have you ever experimented with super cavitation? Sincerely,

-clonezero

"First of all, if you must call me 'Queen' use Aquaria instead of Riptide it's only my personal preference but it would be much appreciated," the sea-pony queen began with a sigh. "Secondly, I have indeed looked into super-cavitation and what I could potentially do with it," Riptide admitted before a grin stretched across the length of her face. "I also have to admit it was really quite fun, I managed to break my old sea-speed record that time! Although the explosion of bubbles caused a few tidal-waves as a result," the sea-pony queen explained with a grin.

"Wait, you caused mass devastation because of a trick?" BreakDown questioned incredulously. The sea-pony queen chuckled and waved his worries off.

"Oh no, we made sure the tidal wave didn't reach shore," she replied honestly, then chuckled lightly. "And besides a couple of fishing boats, no pony even knew the waves started," she assured, though that did little to make BreakDown feel better.

"Well in any case, thank you for your time Riptide," Faust began with a bow, "we'll make sure that clonezero hears your reply to his letter," the ivory mare assured with a smirk. Riptide merely shrugged and waved as Faust dragged BreakDown out of the throne room by his tail. Again, they traveled through the palace, BreakDown's eyes focused on the sea-pony mares that stared at him intently. Soon enough the two came out of the tunnel from the city and returned back to the tower. BreakDown shook off his body much like a dog would, rivulets of water spreading every which way.

Faust frowned as she was drenched by the spray, then sighed and motioned for the brown pony to follow her. As BreakDown did the mare pulled a letter from her mane and smiled. "Now then, seeing as the other two letters are for me, I'll answer them myself," the ancient alicorn stated with a smile. BreakDown merely rolled his eyes and continued beside of the mare. "So to begin with, lets see what the first of these two letters is," the ivory mare stated then held the letter out so that the audience could see the letter.

Dear Faust

Besides the Smooze, what enemy from your past do you fear and hate the most? Signed,

-nightmaster0

"An excellent question nightmaster0," Faust admitted while rolling the letter up.

"How's that, it's probably Tirek," BreakDown grumbled. The ivory mare twitched and brought a hoof to her face.

"No, it's not Tirek! Why the buck would I be afraid of some pony who barely had any power!?" the ancient alicorn demanded. BreakDown blinked and then looked at his companion strangely.

"Uh, hello, he changed a bunch of your friends into evil fell-beast dragon things," the brown pony reminded. Faust sighed and shook her head tiredly.

"Actually no, Tirek himself had seemingly zero power beyond controlling the Rainbow of Darkness. Now Tirek did boast impressive physical abilities, but was lazy as he never seemed to use them until absolutely needed. Now the rainbow itself was a very real threat against us, however with it absorbed by the Rainbow of Light Tirek was of little threat. As far as hate goes, I admit that Tirek was one of the few villains to turn a friend of mine against us, Applejack in this instance, however again, that was the Rainbow of Darkness work," the ancient alicorn explained with a nod of her head. BreakDown blinked for a moment, then nodded his head in understanding.

"Okay, well that makes a strange kind of sense," the brown pony admitted. "So who was the enemy you fear or hate the most?" the author questioned of the mare.

"Grogar," she admitted with a frown.

"The old goat?" BreakDown questioned incredulously. The ancient alicorn silently nodded her head and sighed tiredly.

"Unlike Tirek, we only beat Grogar with luck. Had we not remembered the legends of the bell to defeat him, and had we not found it, Grogar would have won. Not only that but Grogar is more magical than any unicorn in magical power, and is potentially the most powerful villain we ever faced. Grogar was powerful, intelligent, and every bit as vicious as any other villain, he didn't need his troops to be a threat either. Grogar was nothing like Tirek, while Tirek usually had Scorpan, Stratodons, or other monsters to fight for him, Grogar would often fight on his own," Faust explained with a frown.

"I also hate Grogar, unlike the others Grogar kept us in a dungeon with little food or water for days. Mare, filly, stallion, or colt didn't matter to him. Flutter ponies, sea-ponies, unicorns, pegasi, and earth-ponies were rounded up like animals. Unicorns couldn't escape by 'winking' because he just pulled us back into the dungeon with his magic. We couldn't fight because he'd just blast us with his magic. He only needed his servants for the sake of spreading out quickly, he could have potentially captured all of us alone, however it would have taken far more time than he had available to him," the ivory mare explained with a frown.

"Okay, the old goat is a lot more dangerous than I give him credit for," BreakDown murmured quietly. Faust merely nodded her head in agreement.

"Now off of such depressing things and onto the last letter," the ivory mare insisted. The brown pegasus mutely nodded his head in agreement. Bringing out the final letter, Faust raised a brow upon seeing it's contents.

Dear Faust

By reading this it seems that your tower defy's some pretty basic laws of physics, the message it's giving me is that ANYTHING is possible in your tower of power is this true or false? If you answer yes or no how is this possible/not possible.

-Flutter Whyyy, Philosopher, Thinker, Dreamer, and whyyy-er

"Okay, I'm surprised any pony wondered about that," Faust admitted to herself. BreakDown grunted and then jumped into the air to read the letter himself. However unfortunately for him, he had no idea how flight worked beyond flapping his wings. Thus why he landed face first not even a few seconds later. Faust blinked and then giggled as the brown pony slowly got back to his hooves with a scowl.

"Great," the brown pony grumbled, "note to self, learn how to fly," the author noted under his breath then glared at the ancient alicorn. Said mare took a moment to compose herself and then smiled to BreakDown as she showed him the letter. The author raised a brow upon seeing what the letter said.

"I think I'm going to need your help to explain about this," Faust noted aloud. The brown pegasus nodded his head in understanding, then waited for the ancient alicorn to start. "First of all, my tower's floors ceiling and walls are lined with iron. As explained in the story, Iron naturally nullifies magic and does not allow it to pass through itself," the ivory mare began, "my tower is also a magical entity itself by proxy of developing a persona of its own," the mare continued with a nod of her head. BreakDown sighed and picked up where the ancient alicorn left off, a frown across his face.

"Now because Faust is an alicorn, she gives off tremendous amounts of magical power. As seen in the story when in close proximity to Rarity, her 'leaking' magic caused the fashion pony to have a flash of inspiration," BreakDown began and pulled a pair of glasses from within his wings. "Not only that, but there are dozens, if not hundreds, of magical objects held inside of the tower and thereby adding further magical power to the mix," the brown pony explained while slipping the pair of glasses on.

"Right," Faust noted cheerfully, then tapped BreakDown's head. The brown pony shot his companion a glare and brought a smirk to her face. "What's with the glasses?" The ivory mare questioned curiously. The author merely let out a grunt and adjusted the spectacles with a hoof.

"They make me look smart," he replied honestly. Faust bit back a snort and then giggled into a hoof, while BreakDown grunted and returned to his explanation. "Now then, the Tower being lined with iron and a magical entity itself means that all this power is trapped inside of the tower and has been for multiple millenia. This means it has no vent to release all this power unless Faust opens one of the exits. However, this also allows the tower to manipulate all the magic within its halls and thereby cause the 'effects' within her 'tower of power'," the brown pony explained with a curt nod.

"Umm hmm, this also means that because my magic naturally encourages creativity that the tower itself is quite creative. It can easily stretch or skew the perspective of some pony, change the shape of the halls or rooms, or just add on new rooms if it feels like it. The tower literally has no limits to what it can do so long as it has a sufficient amount of magic available to it at any given time. Given it now has three alicorns, two unicorns, a sinisteed, and the sun only knows how many magical relics inside it right now and you can probably imagine how much magic it's running on," Faust noted with a shudder.

"Yeah, in any case, the answer to your question is 'its magic' and it doesn't need to bow to logic or physics, Pinkie doesn't, so why should the tower," BreakDown concluded with a curt nod of his head. Faust then looked around and sighed, they really had nothing else to do without anymore letters.

"Well, we're all out of letters," Faust noted with a pout, "and here I was having fun too," the ivory mare mumbled quietly. BreakDown merely rolled his eyes and rubbed a hoof against the side of his face.

"Yeah yeah, well if any of the readers actually liked this little experiment, perhaps they'll write letters for another one in the future," the author noted aloud. Faust smiled and nodded her head. It sounded like the brown pony had actually liked this little experiment as much as she had.

"In any case, sorry this isn't longer every pony, and that it's not an actual chapter," Faust began.

"Just be patient, I'm working on the next one," BreakDown grumbled from the side. Faust shook her head for a moment and then smiled brightly once more.

"Anyways, we hope you enjoyed this and can't wait to hear from you, till next time, have fun reading every pony!" Faust stated cheerfully. BreakDown merely rolled his eyes as they walked back into her study... and he was forced to sweep up yet again.


TBC...