• Published 25th Jan 2012
  • 27,614 Views, 348 Comments

Lyra's Human - pjabrony



Yet another in the increasing Lyra-meets-with-a-human subgenre

  • ...
112
 348
 27,614

Epilogue

I’ve found myself spending more and more time in Equestria these past weeks, since I find myself never wanting to go back home to work and loneliness, and spend time away from Lyra when the other humans wait, stuck in the last moment I left. I wonder sometimes, what if I stayed here forever? Would I be listed as a missing person back home, or is it more solipsistic, and my world just freezes in time unless I’m there to perceive it? I don’t know any way to answer that, though. When I do go home, it’s to spend time with friends and family, and yet at the same time I’m drifting apart from them. I find myself to a large measure wrapping up my affairs. I think someday, when losing me won’t hurt anyone too much, that I won’t go back.

Lyra learned to tweak the spell to let me carry a few small objects, and I was able to share books and music with her, but her fascination with humanity as a whole has lessened. It hasn’t gone away though, and she can still be overjoyed if I bring her a picture of a work of art or tell her a story of the human world. Sometimes I forget to tell her which ones are fiction and which aren’t, but I don’t think it much matters.

The situation with Bon-bon is still in limbo. None of us has discussed moving out, and while she avoided me entirely at first, we’re now on civil speaking terms. I’m working on her, trying to get her to see me as a friend. It doesn’t hurt that I’ve taken over her share of the household chores. Sometimes Lyra will just come in and watch. She never gets tired of seeing me scrub dishes or fold their dresses.

And I’m also still working on ponies in general, trying to get them to be more open to us. I still think that they would be better off for knowing people one-on-one, and I’m sure there are lots of them at home who want to get here. But so far no other unicorn has asked to learn Lyra’s spell, and most ponies don’t want to talk to me. It happens that way sometimes, you think you’re going to start something but nothing comes of it. And maybe it’s better if I fail. I was serious when I argued that the human world and the pony world shouldn’t mix, and too many humans in Equestria might start us down a slippery slope. Still, I try, and I do think that we have a chance to be better people for knowing ponies.

I know I’m certainly happier. I don’t regret leaving my home, if that is my fate, and I sure don’t believe that I was “meant to be” back on Earth. I mean to be here, and that meaning is more important than what anyone else means for me. If I could have gotten here to Equestria on my own, become an immigrant or turned into a pony myself, I think I would have. But as it worked out I had the help of the nicest soul I know, and I’m even happier to be Lyra’s human.