• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 17,732 Views, 350 Comments

Well, This is New... - Dumbgamer99



An ancient human who has taken it upon himself to maintain balance throughout dimensions becomes ensnared in the realm of Equestria, with nothing to help him combat the struggle on the horizon except for his god-like alien tech, the Universal Editor.

  • ...
73
 350
 17,732

Chapter Nine: A Plan Set in Motion

Chapter Nine: A Plan Set in Motion


The Canterlot Royal Tea Room sat in immeasurable silence. Nothing but the vague breathing and clanging of cups against saucers rang out in the occupied space. Not that the occupants could be blamed, given the events that had occurred eight days previous was still on the forefront of their minds.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna both sat in contemplative silence alongside the Bearers to the Elements of Harmony and their compatriot, Lyra. Once the ordeal had resolved itself more than a week ago, Their Holiness had ordered the immediate pacification of the 'Earthling' and detained him in the castle's Dungeon.

Yet neither precisely knew how to proceed further.

"This tea is simply delicious, Your Highness," Rarity commented from her end of the circular table that the group found themselves at. Both of the Royal Sisters glanced over. "I've heard some off-hoof gossip about the excellent health benefits that white tea gives, but I was never able to get a hold of some on account of just how expensive it is."

Celestia simply gave her renowned 'motherly' smile towards the Bearer of Generosity. "Thank you, Miss Rarity. The Royal Tea Stewardess is truly a prodigy at her craft when it comes to tea. If you'd like, I would gladly give you a sum to accompany you back to your home in Ponyville-"

"Not to interrupt ya, Princess," Rainbow interjected from her hovering position. "But I'd like to ask about what we're going to do about the Earthling, and what it did last week." A moment settled before she remembered who she was talking to. “If you want to, Your Highness.”

"I have to agree with her, Princess."

Her Highness regarded her Student with a furrowed lip. She was hoping to finish her second cup of tea before they had reached the point of discussion. "Hmm..." A nod left Celestia as she turned towards her sister. "I suppose we might as well, considering we're all here..."

Luna gave a nod in kind as she turned to face the company before her. "According to Twilight Sparkle, the information gathered from the Spirit Guardian that arrived with the Earthling states that an evil incantation plagued his Master, and in turn that the Earthling had no control over his actions."

“The Earthling had been able to vaguely influence some events while imprisoned in his mind, including halting his initial bout of deadly hostility in Ponyville, and breaking the hold the curse had upon him when he fought my sister,” the Mistress of the Night paused with a sip of tea, “We saw a radical difference after the instance that the Earthling supposedly broke free of his bindings. As such, we feel compelled to believe that what has been said was not deceitful.”

"Due to this, we have both deliberated over what to do and how to respond for several nights now," Celestia picked up as she tilted her head in thought. "And, to be honest my little ponies, we have little idea how to resolve this potential issue. There is no doubt that the Earthling could easily become a threat once more (and potentially cause more damage, despite the reassurances of the Spirit Guardian). Precaution must be taken to ensure Equestria as a whole does not suffer."

"I do apologize once again for our admittedly irrational way of fulfilling your wish, Princess Celestia," Lyra stated from her side. Her hoof gravitated uneasily towards her head, scratching lightly in embarrassment. "We had figured that maybe after restraining him we could explain the situation, but clearly the curse that afflicted him at the time prevented such."

"I have already forgiven you, Miss Heartstrings," Celestia stated with a casual wave of her hoof.

"Nevertheless, our actions technically started this entire fiasco-"

A shake of the rulers' heads in sync stopped her from proceeding. "No, it was not.” Luna answered. An almost pained sigh left her, though whether it was from the weight of what she was about to say or some psychological after-effect of her encounter with the Earthling, was not apparent.

“Rather, it was our fault for wording the message that we did. We had not considered that by stating 'through any means necessary', that you'd jump to that particular method so quickly." Some moments passed before a chuckle left Celestia. Luna cocked her head quizzically in the direction of her sister. "What is so funny?"

"The irony of it all, really." she responded. The occupants waited for an explanation from Celestia, but she offered none. Several seconds passed before they gave up on trying to find out her reason why, and onto the actual resolution needed to be decided.

"We can't just have the Earthling walk around without restriction." Twilight mumbled in the quiet. "If we don't keep him imprisoned or contained through some means, or come up with some compromise of sorts; then we need to send him back from where he came from."

"Is it even possible to hold him in chains, I wonder." Luna's voice rang. "We have the advantage of him being unconscious, and his Spirit Guardian to not interfere with the matter of his containment for our own protection. But I don't doubt that should the Earthling not want to play along, that our binds' lifespan would shrink considerably."

"Indeed." Rarity stated after taking a dainty wipe of her lip from a hasty sip. "But surely he can be reasoned with? The spirit seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, and from its explanation a week ago; it also seems to be the more level-headed of the two. With him aiding us, I have little doubt that we could perhaps reach some sort of agreement or guarantee that the Earthling won't perform anything more heinous."

"I say we banish him." Rainbow Dash commented from her post in the air. Shouts from all mares expressing discontent with the notion merely caused her to shrug. "Or at least keep him from staying. Whichever stops something like that from happening again, permanently."

"That hardly seems like the smart thing to do here, Rainbow Da-"

"You say that now Twilight, but think about it..." She tapped her own head for emphasis. "Under some ‘spell’ with no power over himself, he nearly leveled half of the Castle and nearly harmed both of the Princesses!"

"We assure you that we had the situation under control," Luna and Celestia both stated out-loud, despite knowing in their minds that they had come extremely close to a very unpleasant ending for themselves. They didn't know who had placed the charm (despite their suspicions on some key suspects), but they did have a gut feeling that it was meant to eliminate them.

"Even if you did Princesses," Rainbow continued on. "it still proves that the Earthling is dangerous! If we made him mad, there’s no telling what he'd do on purpose! I'll tell you the same thing that I did at Fluttershy's with the other Elements, Princesses; this guy is bad news."

"It saved your life though, did it not?" Celestia replied coolly, staring in interest at the flying mare. The Bearer of Loyalty would not recommend such a course for anything that had saved her life without good reason, after all. "Do you mean that despite him risking his life to protect yours, he is not to be trusted?"

A barely-perceptible wince passed over Rainbow's face, before she nodded determinedly. "Yes, Princess Celestia."

The ruler nodded in kind, her neutral mask unwavering. "He cannot stay then."

Everyone in the room, including her sister Luna witnessed their eyes dilating in surprise. "What?!" The Goddess of the Sun remained unphased by the joined shout, carefully watching the dismay plague the features of the others in the room. She had to fight to hold her emotion in check; anything more than a stoic outlook would influence her ponies, and this was something they had to consider themselves.

‘Even after such an occurrence, they are still against expelling him,’ Celestia thought with curiosity. "You disagree?"

Twilight merely stared upon her mentor in shock. "Yes! Of course, Princess Celestia! The Earthling had no control over his own actions! He shouldn't be condemned because he could become a threat!"

“We have to, Twilight!” Rainbow retorted as she lowered herself to everypony’s eye-level. “It’s our job as the Elements of Harmony to stop things like him from destroying half of Equestria! And we can’t do that if we just let him off the hook!”

“Who said that he was?!” Applejack shouted indignantly. “He might've been a strange feller, but he don't deserve being treated... well, like an animal! Rainbow Dash, you’ve been acting all kinds of weird ever since we all met the Earthling at Fluttershy’s. What’s goin’ on?”

An apprehensive sigh left the Pegasus. She didn’t want to recall it. “Remember when I got up in the Earthling’s face and... kinda accused him of being a spy?” Rainbow Dash noted their confused nods, and continued. “When I stared into his eyes... I think he did something to me.”

“What do you mean, dear?”

“I mean that when I looked into his eyes, I saw... things. Visions, or dreams, or something.”

Luna cocked her head. “I believe we’ve encountered this before. Back in the times of Discord’s Reign, he projected his feelings through a spell that manifested themselves into visions (sometimes memories) onto the intended target. More often than not, it was a shock-tactic.” Her eyes glanced comfortingly at the Element of Loyalty. “Rainbow Dash, tell us; what did he show you?”

The mare winced in response once again. “I... don’t remember exactly. But I remember the emotions. Anger, fear, sadness...”

“Hmm...” Twilight rubbed her chin with a hoof. “It sounds like the Earthling was attempting to use emotions to lessen your suspicion of him, or to help you understand his situation. Why didn’t you say anything before, though?”

“That’s the thing; I couldn’t.” When unsure expressions marred the companies’ faces, Dash continued. “I’m not sure if the feelings put me into shock, or he did something to keep me from speaking, but... I had been ready to say something was up, and I just couldn't say it.”

“This is worrying.” Celestia mumbled. “Such forms of Silence have only been able to be performed by the highest of Archmages in the Canterlot Institute. If the latter is true, then he is truly a dire threat. I hate to say this, but expelling him from the country may be the best course of action.”

Lyra’s eyes widened. She couldn’t let the Earthling get sent away. He didn’t deserve that kind of injustice, especially if what his Spirit Guardian said was true. “Surely there must be another way besides banishment? For your sake Princess Celestia, he didn’t have any semblance of rule over his own body, nor do we have any proof that the Silence was his doing!”

A practiced brow rose on Celestia's face. "Then what shall we do? If you are against sending him away (banishment or no), then how should we proceed?" Silence dominated the room, as each individual in the room -- Celestia included -- thought of their own ways to take the proverbial 'next step' with the Earthling-

"If I may make a suggestion...?"

The entirety of the group turned their attention to the amassing form of energy on the center of the table, which formed into the tiny Pony being they knew as 'Ed'. He reclined against one of the larger basins of tea, having an entertained grin on his face as he returned the stare from Celestia. "My Master will be coming around shortly from his Stasis. If I were you, I’d suggest speaking to him directly would be the best course of action, Your Highness."

“In case you haven’t noticed,” Rainbow Dash quipped. “But the last time we asked him questions, it didn’t go so well.”

“That was because the questions were being forced upon him, and the incantation had pierced his mind by then.” To their credit, Twilight and Lyra had the decency to wince as Ed neutrally glanced over at them. “I doubt he holds what happened against either of you, by the way.”

“What?” The surprise in Rarity’s voice was palpable. “You mean, even after that whole thing with the Truthful Whisper, he isn’t mad?”

Ed shook his head gently. “Do not be mistaken by my words; he was a bit irked by what unfolded. However, judging from what we had been able to discuss in and out of his unconscious state, he holds no ill feelings for any of you.” A cheeky grin was sent towards the diarchy. “Not even to Their Royal Highnesses.”

"How long have you been listening in, anyways?" Lyra questioned, having to peer around the pot to catch a better sight of Ed.

"Past seven days or so. Once my Master was settled in and his vitals were stable, the only thing I had to do was eavesdrop."

"And you've only appeared now because...?"

Ed smirked in the direction of the Royal Sisters once more. "Because it's obvious the notion of my Master being expelled is now out of the question, thanks to majority rule." He conveniently left out the part where that occurrence was his fault in light of his interference within some of the Ponies’ minds. The triple-A.I. realized every time why Storm used the tactic so often; just a simple little insertion of some white-lies, and it would sprout into a brilliant undetectable success in terms of Storm’s survival.

Ed really didn’t get paid enough for saving Storm’s ass. Or at all, really.

“Mr. Ed,” Fluttershy began from her place. The others looked over in surprise, but it hardly fazed her as she confronted the small spectral anomaly. He lazily glanced over, crossing his forehooves to better recline against the tea. “Your Master is usually a kind Earthling, right?”

Ed cocked a brow in amusement at the term before nodding. “In most cases, yes. He's done more than enough to help those he could. There have been some exceptions, though. But those are his tales to tell when he’s ready; not mine.”

"If we could," Twilight started. "I think holding off on questioning the Earthling to ask you directly would help provide some insigh-"

Ed did a mock display of surprise and glanced at a pocket-watch he materialized. "Oh, balls. He's about to awaken." Quickly glancing over at Celestia and Luna, he offered a slight tilt of his top hat. "Princesses. I ask that you please make haste to answer his plea to facilitate communications, and to act on it soon. My Master tends to get very... cranky, very quickly, when he’s conscious and hanging up in chains."

With that, the miniature glowing apparatus-thingamabob vanished in thin air.


"Memory Archive Triggered.
Unauthorized Flashback Initiated.
Accessing File: 00STRT00.0000.AB.0SHDW68"


‘For some reason, I expected it to be... wider.’

I stared silently down the large crag that enabled me to gaze upon the Grand Canyon. The platform that my feet found themselves on was made of a hearty metal, and only gave a slightly concerning give to the gusts that affected the gorge.

My arms found easy purchase reclining over the railing. A few other tourists milled about, but besides from some guy with an amusingly large straw hat, they had no discernible features nor qualities to differentiate them from the usual crowd I ran into. The sun beared down with a rather vicious heat, making me wish that I had bought the stupid looking cap from the gift shop thirty minutes ago.

Shielding my eyes with a hand, I dug through my pocket until I found an unremarkable sheet of paper. Taking a pen that sat handily in my shirt pocket, I clicked it open and began browsing down the colorful list.

‘Okay, let’s see here... I did Niagara Falls... and the Everglades... and Mount Rushmore... the Capitol... Old Faithful... The Space Needle...’ My eyes widened as they reached the bottom and neatly crossed through the bullet ‘Grand Canyon’. Shakily, my thumb deftly clicked the pen shut.

“I’m done...” my mouth uttered quietly. “I--After three years, I’m done.”

“Done with what?” the man that had the funny-looking straw hat said next to me. I jumped away in surprise, instantly bringing one pen-filled hand up to defend myself, and the other to check if my wallet was still in my pocket. The stranger barely reacted. “You always this jumpy?”

Realizing that the rather young-sounding guy wasn’t about to mug me in any shape or form, I relaxed against the railing and shook my head. Being as discreet as I could, I also tucked away the small bit of parchment into my pocket once again.“Erm, no. Just... surprised, was all.”

“Ah.” I watched carefully as he glanced at his watch, and looked around. “Hey, you seen some girl walking around in stilettos?”

I merely rose my eyebrows at him, and motioned to a group of conveniently-placed college girls walking past in a variety of -- you guessed it -- stilettos. My hand lazily pointed towards one of them. “You really narrowed the search, didn’t ya?”

The fellow in the hat fixed me with a barely visible deadpan stare from under his brim’s shade. “Didn’t know I was talking with a comedian,” he replied. “The woman I’m looking for will be impossible to miss.”

“Is that literal, as in she is so fat that I couldn’t miss?” I questioned honestly, using a straight of a face as possible. For some reason, at that moment I wanted to see the Straw Hat Guy crack a smile. Or chuckle. Or at some form of a happy expression.

“More like she has class, and not... ‘swag’.” The man visibly shuddered. I figured the response was close enough.

I let out a small chuckle, and glanced across the place. Apparently in the short span that I had been conversing with the Straw Hat Guy, the platform had significantly more people walking about it. Towards the end of the throng that was walking on, one particular tourist caught my eye. A woman, garbed in a pinstripe pant suit and wearing a pair of stilettos (go figure). Clutched in her hands were a pair of bright manila envelopes, and from the way she was turning her head this way and that...

Without hesitation, I tapped him on his shoulder and pointed. “Think I found your friend.”

Straw Hat Guy turned around and his grin faded. “That’s my cue. Business to attend to and all that.” He turned back toward me and offered a hand. “See you around, Wanderer.”

I took his hand and shook heartily, with little doubt that my mouth had contorted into an unsure and confused grin. Was that some sort of vague reference to a character I resembled? “Sure. See ya. Nice hat, by the way.”

“Thanks. Not too shabby, is it?” he said as he strode off, offering me a casual wave as he left. Despite him not seeing it, I waved back as well.

‘That guy was weird... Who calls someone ‘Wanderer’ anyways, even out of jest? I thought I was a bit nerdy at times, but damn.’

Glancing around, my brow furrowed. It was nearly becoming claustrophobic to be on the metallic structure, turning what was once a peaceful endeavour into a full-scale clusterfuck. Trying my best to gently push my way through the crowd, I eventually found myself out of the mass of people and before a diner.

“The Grand Canyon Diner...” I mumbled, reading the sign stationed above the roof. “Unoriginal, but to the point, I guess.” Without giving it much further thought, I stumbled inside and pleasantly discovered that there were nearly no one in the entire building. Aside from some stragglers and a waiter or two, it was empty.

I spared a glance at the newscast airing on the tiny, decade old television set above the hostess’ stand. “Another member of the Pythons street gang was found hung outside his Flagstaff apartment on Tuesday evening, thus continuing the strand of murders of known gang members that started in April of last year. So far twelve known members of the Pythons have been killed--”

With a sudden flicker, the screen shifted from a news broadcast to a live playing of baseball. Looking over confused, I found my answer in the form of a teenage waitress with a remote in hand, sporting a bored look. Shaking my head, I walked towards the oncoming aromas.

Finding a seat at the bar was simple, and it didn’t take long before I was able to get an order in. Nothing too heavy; some coffee with a bit (which in actuality, was a whole bunch) of sugar and a platter of flapjacks, bacon, and of course toast. While I sat and chewed blankly, my hand snaked back into my pocket and retrieved the sheet once again. My eyes stared quietly at the list, with now all the bullets crossed out. The journey was finally over. I had done it.

Swallowing both my food and my rising tears, I rubbed my thumb against the worn title. With barely any fade, the dark-purple crayon still stood out over all of these years. Already, the wave of emotions was starting to form as the words refilled my mind: ‘Madeline’s Places for Exploration!’

A pained, yet resolute sigh left me. ‘All for you, Maddie. Hope I made you proud.’ Tucking away the note, I continued eating when a fresh cup of Joe was set before me. Giving a confused look towards the mug, my eyes followed up the arm to see a bill nearly being shoved into my face.

“Guy over in the corner wanted to buy you another cup, so here ya go.” The burly chef waved his hand over towards a table which had a single man reading the newspaper. His attention went back to the check. “Cash or credit?”

Rolling my eyes internally I picked through my wallet for a twenty and tossed it towards the chef. He took it with a gruff nod and thanked me, before walking off. My hand levitated to the second cup of coffee, which I began sipping from idly. As I did so, my thoughts started manifesting themselves.

‘After three years, I’ve been able to keep my promise. Only now... what am I supposed to do? Put just about everything into this venture. Sold Ma and Pa’s house to pay for it, and I don't have any relatives to fall back on. All I got to my name now is a beat-up Volkswagen, memories, and some loose change.’

Another sign left me as I finished the cup and shoved my head into my hands. “Suppose it’s sleepin’ in the car until I find myself a job... or get the balls to rob a bank.”

After holding my head there for so long that I probably would’ve fallen asleep, I glanced outside to confirm my suspicion: the influx of people were still out there, yet since entering no one else had even approached the door. ‘Strange. You would think more people would be in here, considering all the fucking people and the weather outside.’

“Oh, the people outside won’t be bothering us, I can assure you of that.” I nearly leapt out of my skin as a hand clasped me on the shoulder. “They can’t even see the place right now. Why would they come in?”

“Why wouldn’t they be able to see the place?” I asked, noting that I had to physically force myself not to throw whoever it was out of instinct. “And furthermore, could you kindly remove your hand from my shoulder?” I turned my gaze on the male voice, only to find that it was no longer there.

“My hand is off of your shoulder,” the same male voice called out to me from across the diner. Feeling like I caught a bit of whiplash from the speed that my head twisted, I stared in bafflement as the man that had gotten me the free drink (and who must’ve just been standing next to me) was now sitting in his corner booth, waving me over.

I didn’t move a fucking inch.

“Wait, what?!” My mind fully caught up to me as the revelation took its time to slam itself into my knowledge about how that shouldn’t have been possible. The impact shook me to my core. “How did you-- wait, what?!”

The man let out a deep, rumbling laugh. “Oh, your kind is so easy to tease. Forgive me, it’s very hard to resist.” He waved me over excitedly. “Come, my boy! Sit! Eat! Drink!” I watched as he leaned in with a scrutinizing look. “You can drink, right? You’re old enough, and all that jazz?”

My brain was working in a frenzy. ‘What did he mean by ‘my kind’? Did he answer my own thought? How did he just teleport across the room? Why is he asking me if I can drink?!’ Not even recognizing what I was doing, I soon found myself walking slowly towards the strange man who held a cup of some kind of alcohol. “I’m nineteen. That close enough?”

“Whatever floats your gondola, kiddo,” the man said with a shrug. “I’ve got wine, whiskey, beer, butter, vodka (seventeen flavors, mind you), and something in a glowing green tube that I don’t exactly trust.”

“To be honest, I’m going to play it safe with the whiskey in the hopes that it will help me wake up from what could only be this weird-ass dream. Then again, alcohol-laced bacon is probably what got me here in the first place, so...” With a shrug, I sat down in front of the man and took his offered flask. Wait, when did it turn into a flask?

‘Shit. I really need a drink, it seems...’

Dream or no, I didn’t hesitate to deftly tilt the container into my mouth and chug. The delicious nectar (or some shit that only an alcoholic would say) ran down my throat, and coursed through my veins. It was probably the best whiskey I had ever tasted. Finishing the flask, I looked back down to find the middle-aged man staring at me with a raised brow. Matching his, I glanced down at the flask. “Er, sorry. Probably shouldn’t have done away with your entire whiskey. My bad.”

“Not at all,” he brushed off my apology with a wave of his hand. Suddenly the cup in my hand felt heavier. Glancing down, I saw that I was now clutching a large chunk of cooked meat, half the size of my head impaled cartoonishly on a large bone. “That’s a delicacy here, yes? You’re most welcome.” The man smiled at me.

On the inside, I was freaking out. But the best response I could compose on the outside was a nod and me placing the slab of meat down. “In Texas, it is. However, I’m full still from the breakfast I just ate.”

“Oh, right!” he let out an embarrassed laugh. “I had completely forgotten about that when I asked to get you some coffee on the house.”

“Thanks for that, by the way.”

He merely smiled and waved it off. “No problem. Consider it a friendly gesture.”

‘I feel like he’s trying to sell me something... At least I already got free coffee out of it.’

Staring carefully at the meat that tempted me, I looked over towards the man before me. Aside from a bit of stubble lining his chin, he didn’t look too old. Probably some fellow that would be in his thirties or so. Aside from that, he was relatively unremarkable except for his eyes. They were almost blindingly green, such that they seemed to invoke nothing but kindness and sincerity.
Good traits in a man that gives free booze, I guessed. “So, um... who exactly are you?”

“I have many names,” the man replied. “Saaranas, the Wind of the Heated North, a dirty old lecher.” He smirked. “But you can call me, Steve.”

My response was blankly staring back at him, wondering if I had heard all of those names right. Did everyone join some cult of a show that I didn’t know about? What the hell kinda name was Saaranas’? “Steve...”

“That’s my name. You can call me Uncle Stevie, if you like.”

I blinked blankly. “I’d rather not, if it’s all the same to you.”

“Stevie Wonder, the Wondrous Magician of Wonderfulness?”

“How about no...?” I was quickly wondering if the guy was on drugs by that point.

“Steven Magnet?”

“What?”

“Fine.” ‘Steve’ let out a saddened huff and mumbled under his breath. “Nobody ever goes for ‘Stevie Wonder’...”

“Can we just get to the point where this dream hopefully starts making some degree of sense?” I grumbled, deciding that the meat was safe (I was still hungry, okay!) and taking a sizable bite from my pork-chop flavoured mutton.

“Straight to business then!” Steve clapped his hands together, producing a thick pad of paper as he pulled them apart. “See? Magician! Anyway, let’s get straight to the point.” He pulled a pen out from the inside of his jacket and dabbed the tip on his tongue before placing it to the pad.

“Candidate 654258-Theta. Son of a detective and a nurse.” He gave a nod. “Impressive. One younger sibling, a sister...” The look of appraisal faded from his face. “Father killed in the line of duty. Mother and sister both taken by illness. Very sad, very sad. Nineteen years old by human standards.” He gave me a quick, once-over glance. “If you say so. Enjoys alcohol, fighting, and (on occasion) American football? How primitive... Ah! Here we go!”

He briefly cleared his throat before speaking again. I was stunned that this guy knew all of that. Then again, this was a dream, so whatever I knew everyone else probably knew. “Reason(s) for candidacy: Deep sense of honor and justice stemming from your Father’s influence. Caring and nurturing, yet firm and decisive when needed as proven when your sister was left in your custody following your mother’s passing. And a recently acquired taste for traveling and seeing the sights your sister always wanted to, but never could.”

The pad and pen were both set aside as Steve fixed me with a completely neutral gaze. “Touching story,” he said. “Not unlike the countless other candidates that had their names in the pool, however. You’re healthy, though! Bone structure seems to be intact, healthy blood flow and neural activity..." A supreme look of thought overcame his face for a moment, before he nodded. "I’d say you’re ready for integration! Congratulations!”

“Whoa whoa whoa,” I raised a hand in his direction. That was a shit-ton of nonsense he threw at me, and my mind was still trying to figure out what ‘Steve’ just said. Something didn’t seem right. This dream felt all too real. “You gotta answer some questions before you start ‘integrating’ me into anything! First off; how the fuck do you know all of that? Secondly; exactly what am I a candidate for? And lastly; why in the blue hell do I not look nineteen?! I’m bigger than half of the guys my age!”

“I’m sure you tell that to all the ladies,” Steve said sympathetically. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of. We don’t mark it against your candidacy--”

“Not like that, you ignoramus!” I shouted indignantly, trying to make the rush of blood into my cheeks seem out of anger rather than embarrassment. There were waitresses nearby, for fuck's sake! “I meant as in... you know what? How about we skip that particular minefield and you answer my other questions?”

“Well, to answer your first question, I didn’t know all that. The pad did. I know it now. Does that help?”

A deadpan stare was all I could use to respond. “Not really. If you didn’t know, then how would the pad (which I hope you know is an inanimate object) possibly know?”

Steve grinned and slid the pad in my direction. I glanced down at it curiously and found the words forming from nothing: ‘Because I am the Once and Future Pad. I know most things. Fear me.’

My eyes widened and I shoved the pad back towards Steve. “That... should not be possible. Like, really impossible.”

‘You know what’s impossible?’ The words constructed themselves again on the chunk of paper. ‘Hailing a cab in New York. They never stop for me. Racism, I tell you. As if they’re too good to pick up a pad and get me where I’m going. Jerks.’

A neutral gaze was sent towards the pad. “I’m sure it isn’t on purpose...?” My eyes quickly flicked over towards Steve. “Could you put the pad away or something? It’s distracting this entire ‘answer-my-fucking-questions-before-I-go-mental’ scenario.”

“Well, I had to try.” Steve flipped the pad over with a flick of his wrist. I gave an uneasy smirk as I caught a glimpse of ‘I know where you sleep, you ass!’ appear on the surface briefly. “Well, it’s as I said. I knew nothing about you; the pad filled me in. As for your second question, you are one of several candidates who are compatible with a rather unique piece of technology. I’m here to give you the very first model.”

‘I have a bad feeling about all of this...’ my mind uttered wisely in the back. Deciding though that nothing could go wrong in my own dream though, I ignored it.

“Okay,” I muttered in the accompanying silence. “I have the two basic questions answered. Now, for some more complicated queries. What exactly is this... technology? And why me to be the one who gets the prototype? You said my story was extremely similar to thousands of others, so why am I different?”

“To be honest, you aren’t too different.” Steve examined his nails, doing his best to act like he wasn’t indirectly insulting me. “Ultimately, the folks behind the project couldn’t stop their bickering long enough to decide on a candidate, so the big bosses stepped in and chose a name at random out of the list. Yours. Congratulations on dumb luck.”

“Thanks...?” I answered unsure. Glancing at the man again, I noticed a blue earpiece on his right side. “So, wait... who exactly are these ‘big bosses’? The CEO’s of your company, or something?”

“Er, sure. If that’s how you want to view them as, then I suppose they are in a sense.” Steve shook his head and stared at me seriously. “Let me try and explain this nice and slow, all right? I’m offering you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity-- if that! You’re being chosen to test-drive a piece of technology that will change far more than you’ll ever know-”

“I still don’t know, by the way.” I remarked, leaning slightly back in my seat. This guy was starting to give off some major warning signs of the ‘con’ variety, and if it didn’t change I was going to fight or flight the fuck outta here.

“Yes, of course.” Silently he reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a small box. Setting it between the two of us, he turned it towards me and flipped the lid open. “What I’m showing you is a device that will essentially be able to alter reality.”

I looked down at the bracelet and scowled. “You’re honestly thinking, that I’m going to believe that this trinket (which looks like a repainted Omnitrix you could get at Toys R Us, by the way) will allow me to alter reality?” It was my turn to shake my head. “What’re you on?”

A chuckle left Steve as he looked at me. “I understand that what I’m telling you seems improbable, insane, and absolutely ridiculous. But it is the truth.” When I scoffed at him, he raised a brow. “If you do not believe me, why not try it on?”

“Because I do not need such confirmation to assert my beliefs on reality.” I replied coolly.

“Hah!” For some reason or another, he seemed amused by that. “You should’ve gone to college longer than you did. You sound smarter than you look.” Steve absently tapped the box again. “Put on the bracer.”

“I don’t think that sounds like a good idea.” I stated clearly as I stood. “If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go now before you freak me out any further-”

Without warning (and with quicker reflexes than I ever could’ve imagined), Steve deftly nabbed the piece of technology and slapped it onto my arm. With a slight hiss, the chunk of cold metal locked itself. My eyes widened in surprise, while Steve gave a smirk. “No dice. You got picked, so you’re getting the prototype.”

I growled in annoyance as I began to futilely pry away the device attached to my wrist. “For fuck’s sake, get this thing off of me!” My eyes honed in on his. “If you don’t take it off, I’ll beat the shit outta you with it!”

A sigh left the man as he snapped his fingers. However, instead of the bracer being removed from my person, instead he somehow had me sitting again. My body felt numb, and was unresponsive to my attempts of fleeing. Steve stared at me, and let out a long snort.

“I was hoping that you’d be more complacent. But, beggars can’t be choosers...” I watched him pause for a moment. “Ironically in this situation we could choose, but that’s semantics right now.” Steve leaned in and tapped the tech. “This little doohickey will make your life better than you’d figure, you know. All the things you can, could, and couldn’t do would now be easily available to you. Yet you resist. Strange.”

He shook his head as he stood. “I think I’ve overstayed my welcome in your presence. I’ll leave the further discussion and explanation to the A.I. installed in the bracer. We’ll meet again when Fate demands it; whether for my need of your help, or for your potential want of revenge. Based on perspective, I suppose.”

Steve tilted his head towards me. “Don’t attempt to use it to find me, either. There is no point, and such a meeting should be left for Fate to decide.” With a casual wave, he turned and started to walk away. “Have a good time, you. Try not to break everything too severely, heh.”

A bright flash assaulted my eyes, before they were consumed with spots and darkness. Feeling began returning to my body, as well as a shaking sensation. “Urgh... fuckin’ earthquakes again...”

“Not an earthquake. Wake up; you’re drooling on my bar.”

“Huh...?” I opened my eyes, only to find myself staring at my arms. Raising myself, I blearily located the chef who was attempting to shoo me out of his establishment. Taking the hint, my body stood itself up and began walking me towards the door. My hand instinctively felt at my wrist to discover that there was no obstructing piece of metal.

‘So I did fall asleep? That was definitely a dream? Jesus... I need to cut back on the sugar.’

With little fanfare or interference, I made it to my car and fumbled for the keys lodged under my wallet. After finding the right one, and climbing into the battered fortress and shelter that would inevitably be my sanctuary for the coming nights, I strapped myself in.
“All right... where to park this heap for the night?”

“Beats me. Hey, did you know your brain is really cluttered, and you mutter in your sleep?”

My foot slammed on the brake swiftly, keeping me in the parking lot still. I twisted my head back behind my seat, expecting some mugger to be sitting there with a knife at my throat. When I saw no one, I could only turn back towards the front. “My mind is fucking with me.”

“Eh, it’s more like I’m fucking with you than anything.” I lurched back in surprise as a blue form appeared on my wheel. It was shaped like a man, and it currently had its feet dangling in the air with its arms propping itself up. He gave a wave at me. “Hey, Boss. What’s shaking?”

“My concept of logic...” I groaned to myself as my head lolled back. A very distinct feeling that could only be the beginnings of a migraine started in the back of my head. “Dear God, I must have some form of heat sickness and it’s causing hallucinations. Stupid thirty-dollar cap.”

“Ain’t that simple, I’m afraid.” I looked back down at the small guy chilling out like there wasn’t something wrong with an ethereal male talking about how my brain worked. “I am very much real. Might not conform to logic, but I’m real. And you, my friend, aren’t suffering from any illness. Well, unless you count minor insanity as one. Then we have a problem.”

“What in the blue hell are you?”

The figure shrugged. “Whatever you want to call me, really. I’m the A.I. in the tech that you were given.”

My eyes widened for what seemed like the thousandth time this day. “Oh, no. All of that had been real?” When the A.I. nodded, my head crumbled into the wheel. It barely avoided the miniature glowing man and bounced against the steering wheel’s cover. “Fuck my life.”

“I won’t do it for free.”

Half of me wanted to compliment the little fella for having my sense of humour. The other half wanted to smack him across the car. “Please be quiet while I contemplate what went wrong with my existence in the past two hours.”

“Very well. I’ll be taking Memory Inventory.”

My eyes opened as I twisted my head to stare at the A.I. “Could you stop doing that, by any chance? I have the start of a headache going, and knowing that some intelligent thing is taking stock of my thoughts isn’t helping it.”

“Oh, right. Sorry...” A few moments passed before I felt the sensation fading. “Initial integration with myself and your cerebral cortex tends to cause discomfort. Luckily I was able to suppress it with what your people know as ‘Aspirin’. Feeling better?”

A few moments passed as the lack of feeling set in. “...Yeah. At least, physically. No, mentally.”

“Eh, close enough.”

Several minutes passed in relative silence. My mind was slowly trying to gather itself while the A.I. looked through my thoughts, I guess. Eventually, I spoke. “The guy who tricked me-”

“You mean Saaranas?”

My brows furrowed in confusion at that. “Uh, yeah. Him. He said I could ask you questions, or something.”

The projection nodded at me as he laid lazily in one of the spokes. “That he did. I should be able to fill you in on most things. So... What’s on your mind?”

“Well... for starters, where did the bracer go?”

He made a motion towards my head. “Your body absorbed it. Technically, it’s in your brain right now.” Before I had the opportunity to freak out, he cut me off. “Don’t worry, it’s not physically there. That was more of a metaphor than anything.”

“O...kay. What exactly does this tech do?”

“Alter reality. Did you not comprehend that the first time Saara-, I mean Steve told you?”

“No, I got that part. But... how does it do that?”

A yawn left the hologram’s form as he looked up at me. “Essentially, everything is made up of things called ‘strands’. As a whole, they’re known as the Strands of Existence. The device (through a process that I barely understand myself) is able to interact with the Strands and basically bend them to the will of whoever has the device. So, you.”

“Whoa...”

“Yeah, I know. My job is to both keep you company, and to help monitor your vitals while providing insight.”

“Bottom line: you’re going to pester me by being a guiding companion-slash-mentor?”

“You catch on quickly.”

I idly scratched my head in thought. “So... what are my limits, exactly? I mean... what can’t I do?”

“There’s the beauty of your situation,” the projection stated with glee. “This device has virtually no restrictions, aside from a depletable (yet rechargeable) energy reserve. You could do anything from build a house using your thoughts, to stopping an alien invasion, to transporting yourself to another plane of existence entirely.”

“H-h-how?”

“Ah. And there we reach one of our dilemmas. I don’t necessarily know how it’s done.” I watched as the A.I. sighed and motioned with his hand. “Let me explain this, briefly: I don’t know ‘yet’.”

My only viable response was a quirked eyebrow in his direction. “Explain.”

“I was planning on it... Anyway, the higher Archives are locked for me. According to the statistics that my scans are giving me, I need some sort of stimulus. That stimulus happens to be tied in with your usage of the band’s ability.”

“Does that mean that if I keep using the... device, it’ll gradually tell you more and more about the system and its properties?”

“You’re a smart one, aren’t you?”

I couldn’t suppress the grin nor the comment in time. “Would you prefer if I wasn’t?”

“Hah! No. I would much rather spend the rest of eternity in the presence of a smartass than a dumbass.”

The word stopped me cold, and crushed all possibility for a smile to re-emerge. “Did... did you just say ‘eternity’?”

My eyes blankly watched as the hologram winced, before looking back. “You didn’t know...? Well, erm... the device will sustain your current body build and age to prevent physical deterioration. Which would... um, make you kinda, sorta immortal. Except not quite. But hey! No dying of old age at least. That’s something, right?”

Silence dominated the cramped, rusty Volkswagen once again. Without really thinking, my hand raised itself to my eye level. It looked like it always did, but with the revelation in my mind... how long could I live, knowing it would stay exactly like that -- along with the rest of me -- forever? A sudden thought jumped to my head. “You said I could do anything, right?”

The A.I. blinked. “Erm, yes. Except for trying to hunt down Steve, of course. His dimensional trail is lost to me, so I can’t follow it.”

With a nod to show I understood, I stared carefully at the stature of my new-found companion. “Is ‘revitalizing the dead’ a potential ability...? Would I be able to--”

I stopped as the program raised its hand. “Unfortunately, I have to stop you right there. Because, that’s the other dilemma. My sensors tried to see if it was possible ahead of time, but the samples they came back with aren’t good.” A sigh left him. “There is no way either me or the device can bring back your folks. Their DNA is just too old, and decayed too far. I’m... I’m sorry, friend.”

Anger began to boil within me, before I forcibly withheld the turmoil. It was not the A.I.’s fault; he had tried, after all. Nevertheless the single solitary moment of hope that I had, to bring back what I once had... it was snuffed. Deftly, and without remorse. “I... I understand. Thanks, at least. For trying.”

“Of course,” the A.I. muttered as he sat there staring at me. “Uh... hey. How about you try the device out for a spin, eh? Go on a bit of an adventure, get your bearings?”

A nod left me. “Considering how I’m stuck with you,” I smirked as the A.I. grinned back. “I guess that is the best course of action.”

Swinging both of his legs over, the A.I. jumped off and faded into thin air. "Sounds like a plan, man." My body flinched at the increased volume, while he laughed. "Oh, right. Telepathic communication would be a bit closer to your eardrums than you’re used to."

My head revolved around the car, seeing past the windows towards the sudden emptiness of the world I had tuned out. The world that I could leave, at any moment, to go travel to a new one on a whim. The world, that truly held nothing to me but bitter memories and monotonous cycles.

“Got any ideas on where to go?”

I could faintly feel a twitch in my brain, which I interpreted as the A.I. shrugging. "I don’t have a clue--" His abrupt pause made me glance up in curiosity. "This isn’t right; the programmed character file I have of you is partially corrupted. I... I don’t have your name."

My eyes blinked slowly. “Well, that’s... odd. At the same time, I suppose it’s fair. Neither of us have a name known to the other; we’re on equal footing.” I watched as my finger tapped absently against the car wheel. “My real name is of little importance or use to me now, I guess. In all frankness, I’d rather drop my true name. So... I suppose you could call me ‘Storm’.”

A small electrical buzz came from the edge of my hearing. "Query: Why would you use such an unusual alias to hide your persona?" As my eyes widened in confusion at the rather monotone voice, a cough sounded off in my head. "Ah, sorry about that. This vocabulator sometimes speaks in an odd mannerism. Remind me to work on that ASAP."

I had been tempted to question it further, before I waved it off. “It’s fine. As for why I chose it... it just sounded right, really. My Martial Art instructors always did say I moved around the ring like a storm.” I cocked my head in thought. “Now, what about yours...?”

"I don’t have a designation, actually."

“Really? What did Steve’s bosses call you by, then?”

"...I am not entirely sure. In fact, I don’t think me nor the device was ever given an actual name. Whether this is due to the information being locked away in a higher Archive or not remains to be seen, though."

I rolled my eyes. “Figures. Well, we can’t just keep referring to you as the ‘A.I.’, nor this technology as the ‘device’. Problem is... what to name you?” Neither of us spoke for a time, as we were both pre-occupied with thinking. Eventually, my mind came up with something. “I think I got it.”

"Let me hear it."

“After doing some minor considerations, I think that the device should be named ‘the Universal Editor’. Since, you know, it can ‘edit’ the Strands.” I waited for an appraising sound to leave him before I continued. “Going off of that, since you’re the quote-unquote ‘voice’ of the Editor, how about your name being ‘Ed’?”

A pause hung between us. "Ed, huh?"

“Erm... yeah. Why, you don’t like it?”

"No no, it isn’t that. I’m just feeling it out... Ed. Hmm. I like the sound of that." I gave a nod of approval as I sat there, unmoving. "Er, Storm? What’s the problem?"

“I have no fucking idea where to go, or how to go.”

"Bah. Let me handle that until you get a grasp (and/or an opinion). I’ll just randomly pick out some reality you’re familiar with, and we can start from there."

“Got it.”

"You ready, Storm?"

“Ready as I’ll ever be, Ed.”

"As your people once say in the face of adventure... Let’s do this!"

The smirk on my face extended considerably as a significant amount of blue energy began swirling around me. “Leeroy~!” A single solitary word rang out through my subconscious as my vision was engulfed in light.

“Jenkins~!”


“End Memory Sequence.
Memory Archive Powering Down.”


“Sorry to ruin your accidental recollection while you’re in Stasis, but we have a development.”

‘Ugh... Ed? What’s going on? What day is it?’

“We’re currently about a week after your little event with the Equestrian government. They have you in their dungeon, chained up with some mediocre iron shackles to a wall.”

‘Ah. I was wondering what they did with me when I was unconscious. Did you do as I asked?’

“Of course. Through my masterful tweaking and manipulating of events, I have ensured you won’t be instantly banished, exiled, or executed! Yay~!”

‘Woohoo.’

“Right. As you asked, they are now en-route to your nice little cell for a visit and to discuss diplomatic possibilities. What do you plan to do, though? I know you aren’t necessarily one to jump on a single race’s side and become biased.”

‘Neutrality has been my way of reasoning for the past few millenniums. It’s so ingrained into my thinking that it’s instinct. Willingly ignoring it for a brief time in order to survive is always a pain. And since I can’t just override what’s happened by running way via Warping, I guess I’ll be forced to recompense for my actions. But my survival has to come before my duty or my pride.’

“Kind of hard to do your duty when you’re dead, eh?”

‘Unfortunately. Whelp... I guess it’s time for my little nap to end, and for real life to start anew.’

“Get ready. I sense that this encounter is more important than we believed originally. And the outcome will cause ripples far longer than even you could predict. So choose carefully both your words and your actions.”

“A critical moment approaches.”