• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 2,892 Views, 165 Comments

Dysphoria, Arc 2: Ponyville - thedarkprep



This story follows the events of Dysphoria, Arc 1: Introductions (though you don't have to read it to get this story). Evening Rose adjusts to life in Ponyville and meets new ponies while fighting her fears. Will they accept her? Will she?

  • ...
7
 165
 2,892

9. Epilogue?

9. Epilogue?

So, that’s Arc 2 of Dysphoria. What did you think?

I feel like my writing is getting better, and even though there were less chapters, they were longer and I got to really explore the characters. However, you may have thought my writing was awful and clunky, and that’s ok too.

So, what happens next?

Well, as I said during the last Epilogue? I planned Arcs 1 and 2 alongside Arc 3.

If you're reading this, then that means that the first chapter of Dysphoria, Arc 3: Canterlot (otherwise known as "Rose finally becomes an active character!") is up and you should go read it now!

As I have also previously explained, Arc 3 will be more of an Adventure piece taking place in Canterlot, exploring some of the time bombs that I set up in this arc. Not only that, but I mean it in regards to Rose actually getting to do things. In Arcs 1 and 2 she was passive in that things happened to her and that her existence (not actions) changed those around her. In Arc 3, she makes choices, acts on them, and takes her life into her own hooves!

Should be fun right?

Well.. at least I'm excited...

The one thing I should mention is that, since I'm still trying to figure out the best time to post schedules to get people that haven't already read the story to look at it, I will be tweaking my release schedule a bit.

I'll still update at least every Monday and Friday, but I will do so at 6pm EST rather than 5.
I hope it's not that much of an inconvenience.

Oh, and I also said I'd explain what made chapter 5 so special right?

While I was writing Chapter 5, something interesting happened. Normally I plan and outline the story in advance. This involves writing the characters, the events, and their importance for me to fill out later.

Octavia was originally supposed to be just a character that shows up, exposes on things in Canterlot, disapproves of Rose, but then gets over it. However, when I was writing the chapter things felt wrong and I revised it multiple times, making severe changes until that chapter was less about Canterlot, and more about Octavia’s relationship with Rose and how that had changed. I realized that it was more important to explore how an old friendship deals with this rather than adding exposition, because anything else felt wrong for Octavia.

The is my first instance of a character telling me what to do, and it was awesome. However, it left me in a corner.

I was now basing their relationship on something deep that I had not explored, leaving a huge void to be filled in.

And so I did.

This is me announcing that after I'm done with the story proper, there will be an extra Arc that serves as a prequel to the series. I already outlined the whole thing in a lot, and I do mean A LOT, of detail (the outline is 47,293 words).

Dysphoria, Arc 0: Octavia will be a story about the relationship between Octavia and Slant Rhyme as they grew up in Canterlot society. It will include a bit of romance but will mostly be a story about two friends helping each other through their emotional and mental struggles. The story will have Octavia as the main character, which is exciting for me because she’s quickly growing into my favorite.

I’ll also still be writing the side fics I said I would in my last Epilogue? and other new ideas I get. However, as I said last time, I’m putting most of my focus on finishing the Arcs.

So, to recap:

There is an Arc 3, go read it now!
There will be an Arc 0, go get excited!
I’m working on side fics the second I'm done with the Arcs.
New content at least every Monday and Friday at 6pm EST.

If you want to keep up with it all you need to favorite, follow, and stalk.
Oh, and please share the story? Only if you think it's worth sharing though.

Thank you for reading,

-thedarkprep

P.S. If you have any questions about anything trans-related or you just want to talk about it, please don’t hesitate to send me a private message. I’d love to help.

Author's Note:

Oh, before I forget,

Arc 3 will have some shorter chapters (all of them are still over 1,000 words but after Arc 2, 1,500 feels short).

As such, I will be doing some mid week releases on top of my standard Monday and Friday ones.
Rather than apologizing on the author's note/blog and telling you that there will be an extra chapter that week, I have compiled a dandy list of when I'll post each chapter this Arc.

All you have to do is go to my blog and look for the post that says "Arc 3 Is Up, Here are the Release Dates."

Happy Reading!
-thedarkprep

Comments ( 27 )

2139531 I've always been partial to the addage "It takes balls to lose 'em."

2264310

That's great, I'll have to remember it :twilightsmile:

In arc 0 you could also cover the relation between rose and twilight brought up in the first arc

2341908

Since they only shared some classes and Twilight didn't pay too much attention (just enough to recognize but not enough for it to mean anything on its own) I'm still debating whether or not making her a big part of the story or just a cameo.

Arc 0 will be from Octavia's perspective, so the only bits of Slant's life that will be revealed are going to be the ones that involve both of them.

As I said, I'm still debating some things but I have the major story mapped out and I swear I'll try my best to make it something that adds to the world of Dysphoria and that stands on its own. :twilightsmile:

Finally read the story and I really liked it. It touched on something that has been troubling me a lot in my life presently. Do people actually see me as a woman or are they just being nice and indulging me and would show their true colors when I need support most. Like Rose, everyone who knows of me as female also knows of me as trans. No way to escape it except to go stealth (has its own set of problems). Glad AJ and RD beat Granite up a bit - he deserved far worse. People like Granite terrify me. Sadly, there are a lot of them out there.

2360992

Sadly, there are a lot of them out there.

It IS a terrifying world for us out there isn't it? At least times are changing, we can only hope they change faster.

Also, the whole perception thing is a big deal with me too. I know I shouldn't care, but it matters a lot to me that people think I'm cis rather than just being accepting. It kept me from participating in a lot of trans-related events (such as panels and the such) for the longest time because I was ashamed of being trans and because of how hurtful it was.

I've been very political recently though, so that's helped me care less, even if it's not gone completely.

2374279

Yeah, I can understand.

I don't so much mind if someone knows I am trans, but I do mind if that makes them see me as less of a woman other than in any ways that I say I am less of one (if we want to get real technical, my gender is not 100% female being that I am shifted a bit towards genderless, but I am close enough that I am female for all practical purposes). And with people who know I am trans, I worry that they see me as less and I worry that in the future, whenever anyone finds out, they will see me in a different light and not be included with the girls, seen as part guy (I'm not part guy, I just have a few experiences that mean I know a lot more about guys than most other women do) and therefore an impostor to some degree or a threat, etc. I know I shouldn't feel this, but it bothers me a lot more if women do this than if men do this to me.

2436075

Yea... what can I say, I like keeping people on their toes. :raritywink:

This story has been reviewed by The Equestrian Critics Society

Story Title: Dysphoria, Arc 2: Ponyville

Author: thedarkprep

Reviewed by: Charelzzz

Dysphoria, Arc 2: Ponyville is a slice of life story, but also so much more. 30,000 words fly off the pages in this poignant, ponified autobiography. Due to subject matter, it may be considered inappropriate for younger readers. It is the second part of a planned four part (or perhaps five part) series, and examines in a deeply moving manner the challenges experienced by a transgender pony. The logic and worldbuilding skills of the author are commendable, the characterization of all ponies involved, foreground and background, is wonderful, the violence is shocking and awful (as it should be, considering it is an autobiography) and the sympathy created in the reader towards the protagonist is deep and heartfelt. This thought-provoking and moving story deserves a fair reading by anyone, regardless of their religious or political convictions. It is not activism, nor a whining complaint against the status quo; it is an author pouring his, no, her heart out the page, using the medium of ponies to speak truth. It is most bravely done.

Score: 9.0/10

Full Review

2639620

Awesome!

I loved your review :twilightsmile:
(And I'm not just saying that because I got a good score)

Thank you for taking the time to read and review my story.

One small note though: Is there any chance I could get you to change the word transvestite with transgender? Transvestite is kind of derogatory and demeaning, so yea...

It's ok if you can't though, I'm not sure how the critic's association works, but I know that sometimes when you submit something you can't touch it again and I do realize that that particular tidbit is not something that is well known by most people.

In either case, thank you soo much for the review :heart:

2640395 Sorry about that. You are a very talented writer. I did think that transgender was meant for someone who had undergone a physical change, and Evening Rose did no such thing, but it really isn't something I am terribly familiar with. Forgive me if I caused any offense, it was not intended.

2640481

You did not cause any offense at all!

And thank you so much for the compliment.

(Transexual is after surgery, transgender is the umbrella term for everything else, just for reference)

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to review the story. You and the rest of the critics do amazing work!

2640497 It helps when we have something well written to review. :pinkiehappy:

Hey, congratulations darkprep! Your story made it to TECS's June Fic of the Month! :twilightsmile:

2676458

It did?

Wow!

Thank you so much!

And thank you for your work as critics. You are all doing a great service to this community.

:heart:

2676807 We do our best. :twilightsmile: Still, congratulations. Have one on me. :pinkiehappy:

do you like my hair like this :pinkiesad2: or this:pinkiehappy:

4437973

Thank you ^_^
You have no idea how much comments like this mean to me <3

I hope his sentence will be loooooooooooooooooooooooooooonggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg...:scootangel:

I am annoyed at the lack of intelligence!:pinkiehappy:

Within this world,
once more clutching such dear a light.
Let all who may touch;
burn shall they,
cry shall they,
but never will their hatred reach.
Those of friendship will truly,
once more,
be filled with awe
for that light.

Excellent work dear Author!:pinkiehappy:
And so it continues.:twilightsmile:

The is my first instance of a character telling me what to do, and it was awesome. However, it left me in a corner.

You have experienced something I have long known, and that's that the story creates itself, it is the authors job only to put it into words for others to understand. This in no way makes it any easier, but that is what I believe and this is proven many times over.

5269505

yes it was on the first arc of this one, I haven't gotten around to reading Asylum yet, it's on my list though.

5269657

understanding the reaction is one thing, agreeing is another. I can completely understand why he reacted the way he did (I wouldn't make a very good sociologist if I couldn't understand it) but that doesn't make him any less of an asshole.

6747055
For someone in your situation it may very well not be. For others, like myself, it is. The joke, I mean. Not the event that spawned it.

EDIT:
Additionally, the actual joke was about how bad the pun, itself was.

This was an improvement over the last story. The awkward parts with Lyra aside, a lot of progress was made in this story. I'm just asking you to please retag these works. The way they currently are is completely at odds with the content in them, and as a new reader, it is extremely unusual to see such darkly realistic stories be tagged with nothing more than 'teen' and 'slice of life' or 'adventure' instead of the updated labels.

Login or register to comment