• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 10,271 Views, 207 Comments

The Wonders of Time - Pia-chan



After living in Canterlot during two years, Spike is back in Ponyville, as Rarity is stunned by what she sees. What happened before he left and what will happen now?

  • ...
20
 207
 10,271

Determination

A few days after making up his mind to leaving Ponyville, Spike thought it was time to tell the girls; with the exception of Rarity, about his departure. He simply felt he couldn’t say goodbye to her. He hadn’t even seen her since they broke up and that had been over a week ago. He’d be leaving in three days.

The only news he got about her came from the his friends. Overhearing their conversations he found out that Rarity had been very busy for the past couple of days, so busy that she had even refused to meet with the girls, even Fluttershy had remarked just how odd it was for the white unicorn to miss their weekly spa date.

He thought it was odd though. Perhaps she was too affected about what happened between them, so she didn’t want to see anyone anymore? No, she was probably just shaken. Celestia knew she was, but never to that point, she would never stop seeing her friends because of him. She probably just had a long list of orders to fulfil and was overworking herself as she usually did when her backlog caught up with her.

Perhaps it was better to just remember their good times instead of ending with such a sad farewell. Yes, it would be for the best.

Leaving Ponyville...To think in just three days, my life will change forever…

He had no time to waste, he needed to go right now and have a talk with his friends.


The first one on his list was Pinkie Pie, he figured she’d be at her workplace, in Sugarcube Corner. It turned out he was correct, as the pink-and-fluffy haired girl eagerly jumped out from behind the counter as soon as he set a foot in.

“Hello Pinkie,” the draconian greeted his bouncing friend.

“Oooh, hiya Spike! I’m so glad you’re finally here!!”

She seemed to be waiting for someone, perhaps him? Had this come from anyone but Pinkie Pie, Spike would have been suspicious.

“What? How did you know—”

“Wait a min, I’ll be back in less than a second!” She said, disappearing in a pink blur. Spike didn’t even have time to blink before Pinkie reappeared.

Before he was able to comment on her speed, she shoved a cupcake into his mouth. He frowned at her but it didn’t last much as he felt the delicious taste of sapphires melting all over his tastebuds. He savored it with bliss while Pinkie looked at him with sparkling, expectant eyes. Once he swallowed, the trail of never ending speech started flowing from her mouth in her very typical hyperventilated way.

“So, you liked it, Spike? huh? huh? huh?” She shouted, shortening the distance between their faces with each “huh” until their noses almost touched. “I made it specially for you! I know you reaaaaaaaally like sapphires, so I had to get this for you, Miss Cake gave me the recipe because you remember your first birthday in Ponyville? They made one specially for you— ”

Spike didn’t find any better way to make her shut up then gently placing his hand on her mouth.

“It was delicious; I really liked it, thank you.”

“Mhmmhmmhhhmhh,” she thanked him.

“Look Pinkie, I came to talk to you about a very important matter...” Spike said, and Pinkie seemed to calm down a bit. He removed his hand off her mouth, letting her speak again. She took a deep breath before speaking.

“Ok Spike, tell me…” She said, it was odd seeing her that quiet, as if she knew what he had to tell her was indeed a very serious issue.

Spike took a deep breath himself, and started talking.


While making his way out of Sugarcube Corner, Spike felt as if he had just told someone they had a terminal illness. He would certainly have expected a more dramatic reaction from Rarity, but from Pinkie? Well, it’s not like she had overreacted, actually, it was quite the opposite. Once he told her what he had come to say, that he was leaving Ponyville and would live in Canterlot and about his plans of joining Shining’s squad, he could notice her pink hair loose part of its puffiness, few bangs laying straight over her shoulder and face.

Her surprised and saddened face was indescribable for him, and it made his heart feel tighter as he had to hold back his own tears. He expected she would want to throw a party, so he was prepared to tell her that there was no need for that, but she didn’t. Instead she just hugged him tightly, he felt her tears dropping over his shoulders.

Pinkie whispered in his ear, “Just... promise me you’ll come back someday, so I can throw the biggest and bestest party I’ve ever made to welcome you back home. Spike...please...” She cried between sobs, and tightened her grip.

Spike had no idea when he would be back, or if he would be coming back at all, but he couldn’t bear breaking the heart of the liveliest and happiest girl he had ever met, specially seeing her so sad. Besides, he didn’t want her to go back to the way she was so many years ago, that time she thought her friends had stopped liking her.

“I will come back, Pinkie, promise,” he said, not sure If he was actually being honest, but more to make her feel better. She squeaked between her tears, and let go, sniffing and using her sleeves to whip her flowing nose, smiling slightly.

“P-Pinkie Promise?” She said, with a hopeful face. He couldn’t say no to that.

“Pinkie-Promise” He responded, making the ritual to seal the deal. Now he was forced to come back, as nobody would dare break a Pinkie promise.

Now to tell the others. Oh God, this was going to be harder than he thought. He had only told Pinkie so far and he already felt so tired, and he had to go see the others still... No, he had already decided he wouldn’t be telling Rarity, so he expected Pinkie’s reaction to be the worse after Rarity’s.

Ok, lets go see AJ, he sighed, walking towards Sweet Apple Acres.

As predicted, the other girls’ reaction were not too bad. AJ just patted him a bit too hard in his back, Fluttershy was calm, although she hugged him, which was not common for her, and he noticed she was struggling with holding back her tears.

And finally Rainbow. She just punched him in his stomach and swore at him until she finally accepted it, although he’d swear he saw her eyes water.

So it was done. Just three days and he’d be out.


What a crappy morning…Spike sighed, resting his head over his arms on his bed’s pillow. Why had he gotten so angry with Rarity? He hadn’t been nice to her. Staring at the ceiling, he remembered what he use to do when he lived in Canterlot; sometimes he tried to calm his nostalgia for the fashionista by getting mad at her. One emotion against the other. Now he felt as if this old anger had come back to him. The infuriation that her breaking up with him and breaking his heart in the process had caused.

He groaned, frowning. He didn’t like feeling like this, he had overcome it, hadn’t he? He had decided to come back to Ponyville to see all of his beloved friends; Twi, Pinkie, Flutters, AJ, Rainbow…even Rarity. Yes, even after all that had happened, he couldn’t stop loving her. At the very least, she was still his friend, wasn’t she? So what was that earlier? He sounded as if he still held some resentment against her, even after these two years. It wasn’t like that. Celestia knew he had tried to hate her back then, but it was simply impossible.

How could he hate such a wonderful creature? How could he hate that generous heart? Sure sometimes she was kind of mean to him, but she also gave him very nice memories, the best he had had in his life. And she still was one of the kindest and noblest persons he had ever met. Not only that, but she also had the most beautiful eyes and nose he had ever seen, and the softest skin he had ever touched, and the most delicious lips he had ever tasted (as if he had tasted others, anyways, but still he was sure they were the best), those gorgeous a perfectly shaped legs, heck her entire body was perfect...wait, was he rambling just like that lovesick boy he used to be years ago?

Darn. He still loved her, yes. And not in a friendly way. He came back from Canterlot convinced that such feelings had long since vanished from his heart but no, all it had taken was for him to see her again and everything had gone back to being just the way it was before his departure. And with what he had seen in the past few days, she also seemed to love him yet… or at least harboured a crush for his new, hunky self. She seemed to really like this new Spike, he could be sure of it…So what should he do about it? Didn't he have any dignity, for Luna’s sake? He had done well earlier this morning, he had made her feel at least a little bit as hurt as he felt when she broke his heart 2 years ago. That was okay, right? He was just paying her back. Surely she had expected it after all that had happened? Did she expect him to just forgive her and fall into her arms as if nothing had happened? No, he wasn’t the same silly lovesick Spike.

He sighed. No. That was not right. Revenge was not a good thing, and still she didn’t deserve that. It was not about his dignity, it was about not doing to others what you wouldn’t want them to do to you…and it was about...

Spike rolled to his side and searched for something under his pillow. That picture, the one with Rarity dressed up like AJ, actually not so much as AJ as her own feminine and regal take on her, that look only Rarity could pull. It’s not like AJ was not pretty but it was in another, very different way. Rarity was Rarity.

He sighed in resignation. No matter what he did, it seemed that that crazy fashion-obsessed jewel-lover was stuck into his heart and that’s how it was…and now that he knew he had another chance…

He kissed the picture, and closing his eyes he put it over his chest, resting his head on the pillow. He was trying to regain her heart but in order to do so, he needed to apologize for his harsh behavior first, and he didn’t feel prepared for that yet. He’d need some time to calm down the remaining shreds of anger he still had buried somewhere deep in his heart, he just didn’t want to screw up again.

Some days without seeing her would help for sure, but that wasn’t easy, he needed a distraction to make the time pass faster…or he would end in front of Carousel Boutique without even noticing it.

Spike opened his eyes, staring at the ceiling once again. Rainbow Dash!

He placed the picture back under his pillow, and got up from his bed. He needed to talk with certain rainbow-haired winged girl.


After having lunch with Rarity, Sweetie Belle rushed to meet her CMC friends. She certainly had a very important matter to discuss with them. Although she felt that maaaaybbe, just maybe the right thing to do would be not to tell anyone, she still felt the urge to do something about what she had discovered when she read her sister’s diary earlier that day.

However, in order to do something, she first needed to know just what it was that had depressed her sister so much that she had spent the entire morning in bed crying. Of course Rarity hadn’t talked about the subject during lunch. She was an expert in hiding her feelings and changing the topic of a conversation, especially if it was something she didn’t want to discuss. Whatever she was hiding was surely extremely serious, and most likely had something to do with Spike.

Once the three friends were reunited in the tree clubhouse, Sweetie Belle filled Scootaloo and Applebloom in on what had transpired.

The farm accented girl was the first in react at the story. “Woah Sweetie Belle, I can’t believe that…ya’ sure ya’ didn’t misread the thang?”

“Of course I’m sure! And my sister’s calligraphy is just too perfect for it to have meant something else.”

“Hmmm…still, it’s not something easy that’s to digest…I mean, your sister and Spike...together? Wow, just wow!” Scootaloo said, thoughtfully scratching her chin with one hand.

“Girls please, don’t tell anyone about this. I’m still not sure I should have told you in the first place…” The white horned girl said with a worried face.

“Cuz we’re your friends, don’t feel bad about it, we won’t tell anybody. We’re here to help ya’, remember...” Applebloom assured her with a wink.

Scootaloo nodded. “Yeah, if I had known something like this about my sister, I’m sure I couldn’t have kept it to myself forever, it’d be crazy. Well assuming I actually had a sister, of course…” She clarified, tittering awkwardly.

“Thanks girls,” Sweetie Belle smiled, somewhat feeling a bit relieved. “And you’re right about something, I really need help with this. If you had seen my sister…she looked devastated. She’s very sad, and I need to find out what’s going on or I won’t be able to help her…”

“Of course, we’re here for you!” Scootaloo said, with a reassuring smile. Applebloom nodded in agreement. “So, do you have any theory as to what could have made her so sad?”

“Nope,” Sweetie Belle shook her head. “But I guess it has to be something to do with Spike, that’s the only thing I’m almost sure about, like in a 99.9% of sureness.”

“Ya’ know girls, something tells me she was crying because she found out somethin’ really REALLY serious. What if yer sister took one of these pregnancy tests and got a positive?”

“What?!” Both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo gasped with one voice.

“Positive means she’s pregnant,” Applebloom droned. “That may be possible, remember when you told us you found Spike naked in your sister’s bed?”

“No way! My sister’s not pregnant! She’s…she’s single, and she’s a lady, how would that even be possible?!”

“Not only that, but I remember the story and Spike was just shirtless and walking to Sweetie’s sister bedroom, he wasn’t IN her bed!”

“He was getting in his pants! And it doesn’t change the fact he was almost naked, who knows what they were doing before Sweetie Belle suddenly entered into the Boutique…”

“Still, I think Sweetie Belle’s right,” Scootaloo said, trying to calm her unicorn friend who was starting to fret. “I mean, I also doubt Rarity would be the kind of girl that’d take a risk like that, she’s a workaholic and very worried about her looks and reputation, she even was able to keep whatever they had with Spike in secret, even to her best friends, so your theory is just very unlikely, Applebloom.”

Sweetie Belle blinked in surprise before leaning forward and shooting Scootaloo a suspicious look. “That’s rather fancy coming from you, Scoot, you haven’t been reading my dictionary, have you?”

“She kinda got you there,” Apple Bloom confirmed.

“What? No, shut up, I can talk smart too, doesn’t mean I keep my face in a book all day!” the purple-haired pegasus fumed.

“Riiiiight… still, I guess you have a point, Scoot. Besides, after only two days, there’s no way she could have suspected she was pregnant!” Sweetie Belle reassured. Applebloom still looked skeptical though, “In case they actually err...umm...did it…” She blushed at the thought.

“That’s another point. So what we need to know now is what happened. And we only seem to have one single way to do that,” Scootaloo analyzed.

“But we can’t let anybody to know about this matter, so that discards asking any of my sister’s friends,” the unicorn teenager said, now looking directly into her red-haired friend’s eyes, “and that includes your sister, Applebloom.”

“Duh, as if I didn’t know that, Sweetie!” Appleblom responded, slightly annoyed. “So y’all have a plan already, Scoots?”

“Yep!” The orange winged teenage grinned, “we’ll need to be sure of what happened before taking any action as CMC” She waited for her two friends to nod at her words. “Sweetie Belle, you’ll have a mission as crusader.”

“What? Do tell! Anything to help my dear sister!” Sweetie Belle said, brimming with excitement and determination.

“You’ll have to read your sister’s diary again!”

Sweetie Belle nodded. “Yeah, I’ll—Wait What?! But that’s impossible!!! It’s too risky! If she even find out what I already did…”

“Yeah but Scoot’s right. You got to read yer sister’s diary, it’s the only way to know if they did it for the first time when he was still underage.”

“APPLEBLOOM!” Both Sweetie and Scoot shouted.

“But still, AB is right in one thing, I don’t think you’re going to ask Rarity about this matter or even Spike, so you’ll have to, Sweetie Belle!”

Sweetie Belle pondered this for a few moments. She remembered how she seen her sister, asleep on her bed, with that depressing look, she also remembered how she acted for the past two years, while Spike was in Canterlot. Those hadn’t been good times for her sister, and now, she didn’t want Rarity become depressed again. Sweetie Belle’s eyes shimmered as she held back her tears. Then, shaking her face to whip any sign of moisture from her eyes, she nodded, looking at her friends with determination burning her green orbs.

“I will do so; as crusader, I accept this mission!”

She high-fived both her friends and all three cried out in one voice. “CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS HEARTBREAK-FIXERS!”


After Rarity finished cleaning up the dinner table, she headed to her room, sighing in relief. Thanks Celestia Sweetie Belle had to meet her friends today, I couldn’t have handled any more “everything-is-ok fabulousness”...

That and she couldn’t continue crying and moping about all the time, it was exhausting and someone was bound to find out that something was wrong, eventually. Rarity looked at her reflection in a mirror, her eyes shimmering with determination. You look fabulous like this, don’t you? While whining is still fabulous, crying like that isn’t, so you can’t carry on like this, Miss Rarity. Besides, her mascara was falling apart, as did her hair, and no matter how fast she could re-apply her makeup, it still was kind of disgusting. And to add insult to injury bags had appeared under her eyes. It was a good thing the other girls wouldn’t notice them, and if they did most of them wouldn’t care, only Fluttershy, of the entire group, was savvy enough and she wasn’t about to tell anyone else.

Of course, making her friends worry about her was not only unfair to them but also was extremely pathetic. And that was not glamorous at all. She wasn’t someone to feel pity for.

And oh Spikey-wikey, although now she wasn’t sure if she should continue calling him like that... perhaps Spikey would be more accurate, or anything manlier. Because now he was so damn attractive, not that he wasn’t before, of course, just a different, manlier kind... She had a mental image of his bare chest and abs, water dripping all over his almost (sadly) naked body and she could feel her heart racing as she pictured his butt, so firm that she just wanted to lean forward and give it a grab, just to check if it was anything at all like she imagined... Oh but what was she thinking now? She felt like such a superficial girl.

And no, although the new Spike was stunning and dazzling, deep in her heart she still loved him just as much as she did back when they were together (and a bit before that too). She missed him so much and now knew how he had felt when he met her for the first time so many years ago and started crushing on her, just like she had felt when she saw him at the train station two weeks ago.

Yeah she had a crush on the new Spike, even though she already loved the old one, it was strange, kinda like she was betraying old ‘Spikey-Wikey’ with the new, improved ‘Spikey’ (or was it just Spike now?), it’s not like she was cheating, was it? Puh buh duh Of course not! All that crying had definitely messed up her brain, and no matter how hard she tried she couldn’t get sexy new Spike out of there, just like she couldn’t get the old one out of her heart. She was startled when her devious mind conjured up an unlikely scenario that saw her and, oh my, the TWO Spikes… No, these ridiculous thoughts again? She was starting to sound like Pinkie Pie!

The matter was she still loved him and it was not possible to get him out her mind and heart, and though she didn’t deserve him after all the pain she made him go through, as much as she was afraid he didn’t love her anymore, she had to try, no matter how hard she wanted to avoid to be rejected. And this time, she was sure he wouldn’t regret taking him back, she would do everything in her power make him happy.

So yes, she had to win him back; she needed to, she needed him. She was Rarity, after all, and that meant she was beautiful, she was smart, and above all she was an expert in the art of flirting, the only difference this time was that she knew he liked her and thus, she would soon make everything would go back to being the way it was. And she would make him the happiest man in all of Equestria.

Standing straight and looking at some point in the horizont with determined eyes, she solemnly pronounced the words that sealed her new lifelong goal.

“I promise, with Celestia as my witness, that I’ll never make Spike feel bad again!”

Author's Note:

Thanks to my darling editors this time, FlimFlamBross and Stg Alex.