• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 6,747 Views, 340 Comments

So Many Wonders - MerlosTheMad



This story is a short tryst into the world of Hayao Miyazaki from Fluttershy's perspective. Inspired by Tyruas' fantastic art.

  • ...
11
 340
 6,747

Chapter 4 : Further and Further

Fluttershy felt as though she were drifting for the longest time. The feeling of soft fluff beneath her was so incredibly welcome, yet so unexpected, that she didn't dare open her eyes to see what it was, lest it go away. Eventually, something shifted beside her, and on impulse she flinched, partially breaking the peace she was enjoying.

A voice responded to her movement. "Are you going to remain like that for this entire dream, Fluttershy?" It sounded a little sarcastic, but had an edge of amusement and kindness to it that immediately made yellow pegasus sit up.

"Princess Luna!" Fluttershy exclaimed, then stared up in disbelief at the royal equine sitting adjacent to her, that had appeared as if from nowhere. Her mouth hung open as her mind was overwhelmed with thoughts of what was going on, beyond being able to make sense of anything. "I- ah, where... a dream?" She remembered everything from before, Was that all real, then? The question was hopeful that those events were the actual dream still. Her breathing quickened out of being overwhelmed, searching eyes explored the area, there was nothing to see but clouds, a beautiful sunset, and the princess.

"Yes, this is a dream, Fluttershy," the princess responded to the other pony's speechlessness. She let out a deep breath and seemed to sag at the shoulders ever so slightly. "We have been searching for you for just over a week now. All of your friends say hello, by the way. Do you know at all where you are?"

Fluttershy could barely contain the joy that sprang into her heart. My friends, they've been looking for me! A memory tickled her brain, and she blinked in confusion before investigating the thought. "Oh, Princess, do you mean you were looking for me, or 'we' as in everypony else?"

The princess blinked back before shaking her head and answering. "Do forgive us, fair Fluttershy, it is still habit of ours to speak with the Royal 'We'. I meant everypony else, as well as myself. I... consider you a friend, as such I do not presume to use such formalities. I also apologize for not getting the chance to have a casual encounter with you or your other friends yet. We- I, have been... busy." She briefly looked around before continuing. "Ahem, so, we, as in Celestia and I, have been scouring both land and sea in Equestria, tirelessly. I, myself, have been doing the same here in the dreamscape each night. I bear ill news even as I have just found you I'm afraid, Fluttershy, but it can wait."

Fluttershy noticed the tall mare had a very exhausted expression.

The princess beside her sighed, before pressing the matters forward again. "You have been missing for days, Fluttershy. It is no small relief to find that you are well. It is good to know you're... alright." Luna moved her hoof as if to reach over to Fluttershy, but replaced it in front of herself after her pause. "I must ask right away, do you know at all where you are?" Her words had yet to become the promises of rescue that Fluttershy wished to hear. Worse, the taller pony had a measure of melancholy and uncertainty to her question.

"A week!?" Fluttershy blanched first, then wilted from the lack of sense that made, but the princess wouldn't make that up. She couldn't have been gone more than a day, at most. "I've only been gone a day though, Princess, maybe two." Her eyes searched the clouds for why that could be. The portal maybe? She thought, before continuing. "A-and I don't know where I am at all, they speak Neighnese though, I think. I recognized it from Twilight, she sometimes spoke it. Could I be there?" Her brow furrowed as she again looked up at the royal pony, hoping the quick thought would play out to be the truth. That wasn't Celestia's sun overhead though, Fluttershy. Her thoughts reminded her.

Princess Luna's eyes widened and in what was clearly surprise. "Neighnese? As in Neighpon? Well, that's new... I mean, well, I really don't know, Fluttershy. I..." She hesitated and her eyes flickered to the ground for a moment. "I don't want to get ahead of ourselves here just yet, the situation is dire and... Tell me, what are the ponies there like. Are there any?"

Fluttershy opened her mouth to answer, but the Princess continued abruptly, having an after thought it seemed.

"Or are some strange, alien-like creatures called humans there, instead?" The princess's expression was serious. When Fluttershy did not answer immediately, Luna added, "They're two legged creatures, ones that you have never seen nor heard of before? I've never seen them... in first hoof, myself, so forgive my crude descriptions. They are not native to Equestria. But, they wear lots of clothing and their only hair may be atop their head and face."

Fluttershy's mouth opened a little in wonder as she recognized the description, and thought in surprise, Luna's encountered them before? But not in Equestria? "Yes, yes that sounds like them. They... Princess, what happened, where did I go? I landed in this horrible world, well it wasn't all horrible, I made a friend... but it- it's-"

Fluttershy sniffed and wrinkled her face to hold back her emotions. The images she had seen before, so much fighting, and for no apparent reason, it was unbearable. "I can't quite explain it. I've never seen, or thought that anything like what I-I saw, could be possible." She wasn't crying, as much as it felt she should be, for some reason she wasn't. Her head laid down to rest in front of herself on her forelegs instead.

Luna didn't answer her right away, as though she were expecting more. "Fluttershy, I- Are you alright where you are?"

"I don't know." Fluttershy's response was barely above a whisper.

The princess watched her through sad eyes a moment, then laid down beside the distraught mare to put a wing over her back comfortingly. "Fluttershy, my subject, there's no easy way to say this, but yourself, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Twilight, have all gone missing. I fear that you are no longer in Equestria or any land surrounding it." She stopped talking a moment, perhaps to let the words sink in.

Fluttershy picked her head up to meet her gaze, then the other mare continued.

"You are somehow in another world, and your only bridge to home right now is this," her gesture took in the dream around them. "My powers extend far, it seems, but not completely." Stopping for a breath, she pressed on matter of factly. "Twilight is still unaccounted for. We don't know where exactly any of you are. We do know, that both Pinkie and Rarity are not in Equestria, or even our world any longer... I have yet to find Twilight as I found you three. It is, however, a great relief to know you're alright, Fluttershy."

The wing over Fluttershy's back gave a small, reassuring squeeze as Luna finished speaking.

It was so much to take in, Fluttershy didn't know how to feel or react to any of the news. When something tragic had happened in her past, she could come together with her family or friends and solve it, even if she was scared. But now what do I do? "Rarity and Pinkie are okay? That's good." She spoke flatly and continued to watch Luna absently, a pang from inside her chest growing. "S-so," she began quietly, "where is she, Twilight, I mean. She's okay, isn't she?" The words that the princess had already said replayed in her thoughts, checking that she had actually heard them, and not imagined what was said.

When Princess Luna's face saddened, and ceased to meet Fluttershy's eyes, the smaller pony gasped and held a hoof up to her muzzle. Her body began to tremble from a sensation that could only be described as 'heartbroken'.

"We have to find her, Princess! Please, I'm fine where I am, it's... it's scary, and v-violent, but I'm okay! Please, find Twilight, you have to..." Fluttershy's voice weakened into silence. "Please." She replaced her upheld hoof on the princess's front shakily.

The Princess of the Moon took Fluttershy's hoof in her own, then replied confidently. "We will Fluttershy, everypony that can be, is dedicated to helping us find them. Celestia herself is looking into matters whenever she can. This is a crisis for all of Equestria, not only for them as Element bearers, but as missing friends as well." The other mare bit her lip a moment, then continued. "You have obviously faced hard times, my little pony, but I must ask the details of what has happened to you. How were you taken from Equestria? Where were you? Did... did you see anypony that may have been responsible?"

Fluttershy blinked away a tear that finally begun to form. "You think somepony could have done this to us? Who would do such a thing?"

Almost right away, Princess Luna darkly muttered, "Discord is missing from the gardens..."

Fluttershy's eyes bugged as her head swung to look up at the other mare disbelievingly.

Luna sighed and fell onto her side at the same time in a show of exasperation, her head resting on the clouds. "Yes, that was my reaction. I do not think he is solely responsible, though. The fool was still imprisoned up until a day ago. At least, he was still there just two days ago. As much as I want dearly to simply place the blame on him, which I am not ruling out, it may be presumptuous. Somehow, he is just gone, along with every single spell of protection and warning placed over him. None of our precautions alerted either myself or my sister. It doesn't make any sense." She huffed out an angry sounding breath, and swiped a leg across the cloudy-scape beneath her.

Fluttershy winced a little at the princess' show of disagreement. "No, it doesn't make any sense," she agreed, then considered carefully the thought of Discord returning. To her, he was a strange one indeed. It's so wrong to imprison somepony like that, even if we don't have a choice... I wish that Princess Celestia had let me try and help, to show him kindness. She still felt regret over merely returning the rogue draconequus to his stony prison.

Celestia had explained to them all though, that if it served harmony, the elements would not have done what they did. She did say he was fine in there though, just bored more than anything. Twice, Fluttershy had gone and spoken to the stranger, though he didn't do much talking back. I wish I could have done more...

Luna sat up again and ruffled her wings, shuddering as though she'd thought of something unsettling, then began to speak in a serious tone. Her eyes were set on the horizon of clouds. "Equestria, the Elements, as well as Celestia and I have only a handful of enemies, Fluttershy, but of those none are unaccounted for..." Princess Luna's voice gained a hardened edge as she spoke. "Still, all of these incidents, while isolated, are too closely related to be purely coincidental. Rainbow Dash and Applejack were also targeted." Fluttershy gasped again, then Princess Luna continued. "But, they managed to evade the means by which they were attacked. They are safe, and now that I have found you, I only need look for Twilight from here out."

Princess Luna paused long enough to give Fluttershy a warm smile. "Everything is unclear at the moment, but we will get to the bottom of this, magical fluke or not. For instance, we do know from Spike and Applejack that Twilight was working on a teleporting potion, or something of the sort. Perhaps she did cause something that linked to the rest of you, as you are all connected through the Elements of Harmony?"

Fluttershy took in the Princess' words calmly, or as calm as she could make herself at the moment. Even with the relaxing atmosphere she was hard pressed to do anything but feel like a coiled spring from the stress of it all. "I'm not really sure, Princess..." Was all she could come up with to say. She thought on the princess's theories in the following silence. I do hope this is all just a big mistake on Twilight's part. A wince came when she realized that was a little mean, even well meant and only heard by herself as her thoughts were. Oh, I don't mean that Twilight, uhm.

The yellow pony sighed and nudged a nearby fluff of cloud, giving up after trying to defend against herself, for herself, while apologizing on Twilight's behalf.

"Princess," Fluttershy said in a tired tone. "How will we get home?" She looked up calmly, but her face and eyes felt weary.

The princess's expression hardened, the smile fading. "I do not know, my subject." She stood slowly, looking away. "I am sorry to tell you that. Never before has something of this nature occurred in all of my sister's reign, and my own experience is hardly a candle to her burning sun. We knew of other worlds... but nothing like this."

Luna stopped a couple strides from Fluttershy, then swirled a hoof in the cloudy floor. When she finished, a bright moon began to float from the fluffy surface. "The moon, is such a world. It is like Tartarus, or the Dreamscape, places that are not places and within the boundaries of our world itself." Walking around her brief, fading creation she again approached Fluttershy. "Where you three are, and I highly suspect Twilight as well, is simply... completely unprecedented. Celestia has spoken of no knowledge that such things as this were possible." She sat on the clouds with a thump. "Which is why I personally believe, though I hope it is not so, that somepony is responsible."

Fluttershy stood up resolutely to match the princess, though her knees shook. In her head she wondered briefly if her knees should be shaking in a dream. "I believe in you, Princess. I'm sure we can get through this together." She nodded and took in a shuddering breath before returning to nervousness. "S-so, can I speak with Rarity, or Pinkie? I'm sure they're just as lonely as me... That is to say-! Not that you aren't great, Princess, uhm, but I would like to see them." Normally, a sheepish smile would have been put on at her slip, but instead it was just a tired one.

Princess Luna smirked at the little stumble in words, then let the smile fall. "That is not possible, Fluttershy. Two ponies other than myself cannot occupy the same dream. At least, as far as I've found. There is... however, a loophole."

Fluttershy's ears perked up hopefully.

"In the case of two ponies sharing a bed, or rather, merely in contact while sleeping, it is possible and has precedence that they can both dream together. Not only that, but I can interact with them both." Princess Luna spoke sagely and matter of factly on the matter while deferring the information. "I once had to still the uneasy nightmares of a couple from Ponyville in this way, something about worrying over their children."

Fluttershy reddened slightly at the news, and slid back beneath her pink mane. "O-oh, I see. I suppose that isn't, uhm, going to help me then."

Luna allowed herself a grin while Fluttershy was out of sight, then schooled herself back to regal aloofness. "Yes, but it may come in use... We will need every tool at our disposal under the circumstances." She grew serious again, and met Fluttershy's eyes resolutely when the mare revealed herself from under her mane. "We will get you home, Fluttershy. All of you, and we will find Twilight. She is a resourceful, brilliant young pony. If there is anyone in... from Equestria that could make the impossible, possible, it is her."

Fluttershy craned her head up and smiled broadly at Luna as she continued her speech. Her eyes were still tinged with sad, but it was beyond relieving to hear the royal princess speak so. "I know, Princess, thank you." A moment passed, and Fluttershy looked around herself uncertainly. "Uhm, so now what?"

Luna blinked her eyes while confusion crept onto her face. "What- Uhm, what do you mean, my little pony?"

"Oh, well, I expected to wake up for some reason. Uhm, I don't want you to go though, if that's alright." Fluttershy rubbed one of her forelegs demurely with the other and stared at the ground. "I mean, unless you have to."

The other mare smiled a little. "Time works oddly here. Fluttershy. It could be an hour or a day before I must awaken and return to Equestria. It is how I am so able to see to everypony's dreams so dutifully. So, I will stay as long as you wish me to, and I am able." She hummed a bit, looking up, then continued, "It is also how I will also visit Rarity and Pinkie tonight, as well and Rainbow Dash and Applejack." When Fluttershy's figure began flapping its wings intensely, hovering in the sky with widened, expectant eyes, Luna held up a hoof calmly and continued. "And I will of course tell them right away that you are alright, my dear subject. I wouldn't forget that."

Fluttershy fell back onto the clouds and made an embarrassed noise. "Oh of course, please tell them that I miss them too? Oh my gosh, and my-"

"Some of Ponyville's residents have seen to taking care of your animal friends Fluttershy. They are all in good hooves, rest assured." The princess smiled again at Fluttershy as the other pony let out a breath of relief.

"I do hope that they'll be alright, oh, they all get so fussy sometimes." Fluttershy sat, worrying over the state of her home and what may become of her little friends while she was away. After all, she was one of the sole animal caretakers for Ponyville. Her job was important, and she took it very seriously. It was why she insisted on helping every animal on a case by case basis.

Princess Luna coughed, garnering Fluttershy's attention.

"Oh, sorry princess Luna, I was just busy worrying." Fluttershy lowered her hooves from where they had been holding her face and still the swishing of her tail. "I suppose I don't have anything else to say then."

The princess held a hoof up to her muzzle and hummed again. "I'm not sure. I think you have told me everything that could be of help... Yes, you explained how you were taken from Equestria, what the land is like..." She paused at this, giving Fluttershy a sympathetic look. "Stay strong for us, my little pony. We are doing all that we can to save you. Be wary also, of the humans, they betrayed Pinkie once already... but you have encountered worse from them, so I need not bring up such things. Merely stay safe, and trust in Harmony, Fluttershy. Somehow, in the end it will see us through to your rescue."

Fluttershy almost began crying as she had earlier, though out of relief and gratefulness towards Luna. "I know." She whispered. She took a deep breath to compose herself before speaking again. "In that case, what should we do?"

The slightly eccentric Princess of the Night began grinning for some unexplained reason. "Well, if you're up to it, how about we relax some? Have you ever played ping pong, Fluttershy? It is a game, a new one."

Her head felt as though it were pounding. Fluttershy felt her ears twitch and heard the sound of gentle tapping, as well as ponies talking. She cracked her eyes open to find what might be a tent around her. A fire burned in the center, there were more of the creatures she realized, as well. Humans. So that's what they're called... There was no sign of Nausicaa.

Careful to be as quiet as she could be, Fluttershy groaned slightly from the sharpness of the pain in her limbs. The last few days had not been kind to her body. Princess Luna wasn't very nice either, she could have gone easier on me. She briefly moped over accepting to play games with the princess, then losing. She didn't mind losing, not being the most athletic pony. Then again, it had been fun seeing the lighter side of one of her rulers. And she was just trying to cheer me up, after all.

The consideration of Luna's enthusiasm brought a smile to Fluttershy while she lay on the scratchy human cot. In the end though, the princess had professed that she should be going, Twilight was still out there, somewhere. It was her duty to find the Element of Magic, she had said.

The princess had left wearily, but not before Fluttershy gave her the strongest hug she could manage.

A light chatter suddenly came from one corner of the large tent, the smell of something cooking accompanied it.

Fluttershy looked up and saw two humans stirring a pot. She ignored them for now, remembering what had transpired when last she was awake. Don't think that way, Fluttershy, these humans took you in and gave you a bed. It was a kind gesture, but she was still uneasy about it. She continued to go over things, remembering all the little details her and there.

Where's Root? Oh no, I hope he's okay. Fluttershy was afraid to move, lest she attract somepony's attention. She liked Nausicaa, but she'd seen what those others had done earlier. It hung as a confusing, unexplainable horror in her mind, she took the moment of quiet and calm to consider its implications. Nothing like what she had seen had ever happened in Equestria. Not even the worst of the worst of accidents or tragedies could compare to the outright evil she had bore witness to. I should have spoken to Luna about it... Why couldn't I have woken up at home, in my own bed? The thought was a sober, tired one.

The tent flap flung open, and two more humans came in. One was the bushy bearded human called 'Yupa-ama', at least she thought that was his name.

Fluttershy decided to think of him as 'Yupa' for short. Well, he is certainly a he with a beard like that.

After Yupa approached he knelt down, Fluttershy tensed up as he began speaking to her. She was dimly aware that he was looking back at her own open eyes, and that it was not just her watching him any longer. One of his hands brushed against her mane suddenly, his voice still soothing.

"Uhm!" In a flash, Fluttershy had rolled over and began backing out of the blanket she had over herself. "Oh, well I really hate to just go, but-!" She squeaked and leaned forward on her hooves. Looking down, she saw bandages wrapped up her forelegs and front. Why are those there?

Fluttershy looked up again and saw that the entire tent of creatures was watching her. Her eyes widened to their fullest at the sudden mass of attention directed at her. She did the thing that made the most sense given the circumstances. Nnnope. The tent flap opened again as she wasted no time darting out into the cold, desert air.

"Wait!"

Fluttershy skid to a halt again as a familiar word reached her ears, one that she knew at least, something spoken in Equestrian. She turned around and faced Yupa, who stood at the entrance to the tent, calmly watching her. He wore a kindly smile, like that of a father or a close friend.

"Thank you." Yupa nodded to her, and she stared back dumbly until her brain started working.

"You speak Equestrian!" Fluttershy said back in a rush. She hid behind her mane a little after the excited outburst, but waited for an answer rather than let her flightiness take hold again. I think... I can trust him. He seems nice.

The tall stranger wrinkled his face in confusion at her question though. "Eck-west-reen? English, and some, old talk, is common not. You speak fine, I understand."

Fluttershy sat down on her haunches and frowned. The one pony... well... human, I guess, that I find that can speak some Equestrian, and it's barely any. Her shoulders sunk a little and she wilted. Don't be so cold, Fluttershy. Oh, I should find Root... I bet he's scared, and I don't want to lose my only other friend in this place. She looked up again at the stranger, waiting expectantly on her to answer.

"D-Do you, know where my friend is?" Fluttershy held a hoof beside herself at a small height, then looked up at him again.

Yupa-sama just tilted his head and scratched at his scraggly, bushy mane with one hand though. He spoke to himself again in the strange language that mirrored one of her world's own... The human was again trying to communicate with her, he was gesturing back into the tent casually.

Fluttershy wasted no time shaking her head. "N-no, thank you though, but I'm fine, I don't want to be any trouble." She gave a sheepish smile before coughing and trying to ask her prior question again. "I need to find my friend though, Root? He's a squirrel, kind of fox thing? Oh, uhm..." Improvising, she bit over her bottom lip with her teeth and held her forelegs up in the way a squirrel would while sitting upright on its haunches. To accompany the pose, she chittered briefly, charading clumsily what she hoped would get the question across.

For a moment Yupa raised an eyebrow and held his mouth open, then realization struck across his expression. "Oh!" He exclaimed in his deep voice, pounding a fist into his other hand. He chuckled some, walking away and gestured for Fluttershy to follow him. She did so, only hesitating a moment.

While Fluttershy followed him in the bright moonlight, she took note of her body's state. Her mane felt filthy and from what she could see was in and even worse state than before. In the dream, it had been its normal shiny, clean, sheening self. But that was just a dream, I guess. All she could do about her condition was wince and move on. The bandages were strange, she had never had an injury so bad she needed bandages before. It was very rare that a pony would need to wear them for that matter, even just to keep out dirt while a wound healed.

I hope my poor coat wasn't torn up too bad. Rarity will have a cow if I've let that happen. Fluttershy couldn't help but smile while thinking about her friend and spa partner. She smiled again as the tent Yupa had poked his head in suddenly opened further, and Nausicaa and Root all but sprang out.

"Fluttershy!" The little filly said with her strange accent. Root, for his part, immediately lept onto Fluttershy's back and began twirling in a tight circle.

"Everypony's okay, oh thank goodness." Fluttershy and her aching muscles melted a little at the sight of her friend and the strange acquaintance being alright. Looking up, she saw the tall stranger named Yupa smiling warmly at the three of them from under his bushy beard.

Fluttershy blinked tears back, not wanting to show emotion over making it through the day before. "Thank you." Her voice squeaked.

"You're welcome." Yupa responded curtly. He looked over to Nausicaa, and spoke a few more words for a moment. Their conversation lasted until he nodded towards Fluttershy, and stood up again.

Nausicaa grinned, and hugged Fluttershy. "Domo, Fluttershy. Yupa says, means thank you, in Eck-west-reen." The filly leaned back, still smiling.

"Oh." Fluttershy smiled in understanding. "Well, thank you, too, Nau-"

The mare was abruptly interrupted by a slicing noise.

The four assorted beings all jumped as one and looked towards where a multi-hued light filled the relative darkness with its colors. The hole that hung in the air itself and nothing else widened until it was a stride across then stopped. There was a gentle breeze that began to pick up, rushing towards the tear.

Fluttershy gasped and backed away from the mysterious phenomenon as quickly as she could, ending up behind Yupa and half stuck into Nausicaa's tent.

Nausicaa, oooed and made as if to approach it, before Yupa shouted a warning and nabbed her by the shoulder.

Root hissed at the thing, and Fluttershy's eyes remained glued to it. It looks just like everything did when I first came here. Before she knew it, she was already half way towards the mesmerizing pool of lights. The wind was growing stronger she realized. Will it take me home? Oh, I should speak to the princess again before I do anything hasty!

Fluttershy knew thanks to Luna, that she was not in Equestria any longer, or somewhere remote in the world as she had thought. She had never heard of the things she had seen, so another world besides her home made sense, she supposed. Going back through the way I came, is the risk worth it? The question she asked herself was almost made pointless when one of her front hooves slipped and she skidded closer to the opening. Her wings quickly flapped open and she ran further away again, back towards the tent.

Once further back, the wind was considerably less strong here. It was clear that it was less a wind and more like the strange portal was sucking in air around it.

Breath rapid and panicked at the close call, Fluttershy crouched low beside Yupa and traded glances with both him and Nausicaa. She didn't know what to think, she wondered what caused the thing, why it had taken her here, what would happen if she took it again. Shouldn't it put me back in the forest? Surely going in one side of a tunnel should take you to the other again... She wasn't sure at all if it worked like that, but it was a welcomed, if optimistic idea.

The two acquaintances beside her were speaking to one another, and her.

"Where is it?" The taller human asked her plainly in his strange accent.

Fluttershy looked up at Yupa with a confused look. "Do you mean 'what'?" I don't know." She shook her head and looked at the hole again. A gasp escaped her as she noticed a change in its shape. It's shrinking! The hole's edge were beginning to rescind and move back in one themselves again.

"Oh no!" Fluttershy became frantic, her breath hurried. "Root, what do I do? Oh no, that thing could lead home!" Her hooves danced on the dirt and she looked fearfully between Yupa and Nausicaa.

The filly unhelpfully hugged her, and kissed her cheek. The act made Fluttershy's heart ache. After though, Nausicaa pointed at the hole and nodded, smiling. She said something in her strange language too, to which Fluttershy responded with a simple smile, calmed in just a few short seconds by the girl.

Yupa watched the portal expectantly, the looked down to give Fluttershy an equally warm smile.

"Thank you, but I don't know if I should..." The portal was half shut now. Fluttershy's eyes went up to the taller creature again, and he nodded to her.

I guess... that settles it then. She thought it was risky, that could be the work of whoever princess Luna had said may be behind everything. Or, it could be her one chance home, to her friends.

Fluttershy hesitantly took a step towards the portal. She stopped, realizing that Root was standing beside her. "Root, where I'm going you might not be able to return here from."

The little critter turned its head slightly, then stared ahead again, taking a step closer to her.

Fluttershy sighed gratefully, then spoke in a whisper. "Thank you Root." At least I won't be alone.

As Fluttershy came closer to the portal the wind picked up again. Behind her, the calls and what she supposed were goodbyes came from the two strangers. She turned around, a little surprised, and waved them. "Uhm, goodbye!" Her other hoof took that chance to slide from under her. With a squeaky yelp, she face planted, then clumsily pitched backward into the tear.

Author's Note:

Was the ending to the scene with Luna silly? Yes. Do I have regrets?