• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 20,446 Views, 534 Comments

To Call the Moon My Own - That_Random_Pony



It's funny learning how easy it is to lose everything. But it's even funnier to learn how easy it can be to replace what was lost.

  • ...
62
 534
 20,446

PreviousChapters Next
Mother's Day Special

Author's Note:

I know, a day late but I have legitimate reasons! #1 is that my mother was important on that day, as she ALWAYS is, so I wanted to make sure she enjoyed herself. #2 is that I came up with it at the last possible second :twilightblush: But yeah, hope you guys enjoyed it. Remember, like, fav, comment, and I hope you all had a great Mother's Day with your mom/family.

Remember Moms, your kids love you!

19 Years Ago...


"Mama." A small boy squirmed as he felt the need to use the bathroom, his mother looking down at him and smiling.

"Hold it a bit longer," she giggled, her hand touching his stomach. A soft glow surrounded his belly, fading slowly with his urgency. "Better?" she asked.

"Yes, Mama," he sighed, scratching under his shirt. "Do I have to wear this?"

"Everyone here wears these clothes, so we must as well," she reminded him, looking down an intersection before crossing. She ignored several catcalls from some of the men in a passing truck. "You know that, Reku'un."

The young Doshu'um sighed again, tugging on the collar of his shirt. "You say not to use our names," he rebutted, silently glad she'd called him that instead of his human name. Her laugh rang in his ears, its mirth causing him to smile.

She lifted him off of his feet and nibbled on his side, which he tried escaping from as he laughed. After thoroughly nipping his side, she put him back down, both of them smiling happily. "Go on. Our home is ahead."

He looked at the street sign, then bolted up the sidewalk until he reached a small beige house. The smell of meat reached his nose in force, and he hurried to the steps. He slowed down, making sure he didn't accidentally launch himself (or the door). The door flew open for him, and he tripped in surprise before tumbling onto the living room carpet. A deep chuckle came from above him, and he giggled as a set of strong hands lifted him to his feet. A giant of a man loomed over him, his smile gentle as opposed to his lean, cut body.

"I was hoping to surprise you, jra ninjot (my son)" he laughed, ruffling the boy's unruly hair.

His son smirked and hurried into the kitchen, climbing onto the counter and staring at the sizzling steaks on the stove. "Are they almost ready?" he asked as his father came over. "I'm hungry."

His father laughed and hugged his wife as she entered, the two kissing while their son gagged at the sight. "Yes, they're almost ready," his father laughed. "We are visiting your aunt, come next afternoon."

"What's wrong?" he asked, sitting at the table.

His father shook his head. "No, Reku'un. Tomorrow is a celebration for the mothers of this nation," he explained, nuzzling his lover. "It is strange, but we must blend in. Your aunt is very eccentric about it. She says it is a day devoted to them."

"Yes, Gonak, she adores the gifts," she laughed, rolling her eyes playfully. "But your Herod (Father) is right. It'll be a way we blend in... and a gift from your father wouldn't be undesirable."

Gonak chuckled and wrapped his partner in his arms, resting his chin on her head. "Alright, alright," he laughed, moving his hand to the stove. "Our dinner is ready."

After their meal, Reku'un sat at the desk in his room, reading over an article about nuclear science. He heard footsteps coming up the stairs, and he quickly turned off his lamp and jumped into bed, yelling when he felt his mother's hands tickling him again. They tumbled on his bed as he tried wriggling away from her, tickling her with his smaller hands until they were a mess of laughter and panting. He snuggled up to his mother, laying his head in the crook of her neck.

Her silk hands stroked his head as she hummed a lullaby from their new planet, one that had a mixed effect on her son. She could sense his restlessness, especially with the cool breeze on them. When she tried laying a blanket over them, he pushed it off of him. Exhaling deeply, she moved her hands to his back, gently massaging him to ease him. It seemed to have the opposite effect. She knew what was keeping him up. He was so accustomed to it that by now it was as standard as having a pillow.

"I'm sorry, Reku'un," she whispered, kissing his head. "You know I couldn't keep them on this world."

He kept quiet, shuffling closer to his mother's warmth. "When we go back... can you grow them?" he asked, sniffling gently. She didn't answer him. Instead, she sighed stroked his back again. "...Heraj (Mother)... we're going home... right?"

He looked up to her, noticing the tears forming as she smiled down at him. She pulled him close, feeling his arms hold her and hearing his small voice break as he sobbed. She pulled the blankets over them, hushing him softly. He curled up closely, sniffling as he tried controlling his emotions.

"I wanna go back... I miss it... I miss them," he cried weakly. His mother wiped his tears, lifting his head to look at him. She teleported the eye contacts off, revealing her cosmic blue eyes.

"So do I," she told him, laughing as she wiped her eyes. "But they're with Minira... in her gardens... watching over us."

He didn't seem satisfied, but he nodded and whimpered once more. She pushed his hair away from his ear, clearing her throat and snuggling him.

Oh, the forests are lush
And the sun is alight.
The Makti watches us
And the Kingdom is bright.

For Minira sees us and says to her kin
"They shall prevail, and be the end of this fight."
For We are her Signa, We are Loki'ir
And with all of my strength I will protect you, my dear.

Do not think we will go into the night
And surrender our lives for as long as we stand.
We will defy them and flourish with love
Together facing this darkness, hand in each hand.

Sleep now, my love, you'll see me, I pray.
There's a world of excitement waiting out there
Stand strong against those who'd strike against you.
For you are His son, nothing but just and faaaaair.

Her son's light snores tickled her ears, and she kissed his head one last time before resting. "Salemos... Reku'un."


3 Years Later...


Tony looked over the medallion on his chest, running his fingers over the text carved into it as he thought back to its original owner. There was a knock at his door, and he hid it under his pillow before the woman came in. Her skin wasn't smooth and young like his mother's, but it was a texture he'd come to accept. In her hands was a small necklace, a diamond-shaped ruby dangling on an emerald chain. He took the jewelry from her slowly, examining the fine cuts and chisels.

"You always make them beautiful, Eishla," he smiled, looking over to his desk. "I always make the ends too sharp. Sometimes I break it off."

She sat beside him and laughed, rubbing his cheek with a thumb before kissing his forehead. "It took me 20 cycles to master it and another 10 to remember when I came to this world," she informed him. He rolled his eyes and gave back the necklace.

"How much would that be?" he asked. "It's pure emerald, isn't it?"

"Of course, little one," Eishla laughed, dangling it above her head. "I'd say enough for the next few months. Our appetites put a dent in our finances." They chuckled together, Eishla standing and walking to the door. "Your schoolwork had best be done, Reku'un."

"I always finish them Saturday, Eishla," he said, moving to his desk and grabbing his bookbag.

"Just be sure," she called from the hallway. "I'm going to start the oven. Make sure you can hear me over those headphones, little one."

"Yes, Eishla," he replied, reaching for his music player. He put the headset on and started the next song, dumping his bag onto the desk.

He skimmed through his notebooks and realized he'd finished all of his work, then debated what he was to do. His phone vibrated in his pocket, and he took it out to check his message. It was Dan, and the message read: "Kid, I know this is a bad time, but what should I get for Mother's Day tomorrow?"

Tony wrote out: "Just buy her something she'll like. Or make her something. Just do what you think she'll like best."

He waited for a few minutes, then opened Dan's reply. "I'll think about it. So, you gonna make something for Eishla? I know she's not your mom... but isn't she sorta like that?"

He read the message again. And again. A third time, then locked his phone and moved to his bed. Reaching under with a hand, he felt around on the rug for a small case, which he knocked his arm into before pulling it out from under. He stared at the black cardboard, hesitant to open one of his greatest and closest treasures. His hand absentmindedly reached for his medallion, a tendency he had grown since... he was given it.

Go on. Open it.

...I... I can't.

He could feel his new partner's emotions, something that he still needed to adjust to. In turn, she felt his discomfort, which looped back to him.

Reku'un... are you going to stay with her?

I dunno. I... I can't stay when I'm older. It's dangerous. Daniel can't even know.

But she is strong. She can protect us.

Not against them... or him... and besides, we can't let the humans know.

They don't need to know... you just have to be discreet. And... she loves us... doesn't she?

She does, Nyla. But... but she isn't my mother... she can never be...

...maybe she isn't your real mother... but she loves you like one... doesn't that count?

...

...

I guess it does...

His hand let go of the dull green medallion, tracing over the edges of the box. Gradually, he lifted the cover up and reached inside. It was heavy, maybe about as heavy as himself. It was covered in ragged clothes, the same cloth he'd worn the day he was found. Its heft forced him to lean it against the bed, causing the crude wraps to fall from its handle. A small gleam of cyan shone in the light, mixing with the reflection of the ruby tipped handle.

Taking a deep breath, he ripped the clothes away, then sat back as he looked at it. A bright blue blade standing taller than him, its elegant curve lined with five thin notches. On the blade's surface were markings and symbols. He hadn't seen them like he did on his medallion, but he could still read them. His life on his world was filled with them, burning their meanings into his mind with pride and joy.

Clan Alamonshuor. "Though my skin is like scales, beneath both I am weak. And yet I am strong"

He was too young to understand it's meaning, and even now he was conflicted. But either way, his ancestors wielded it as a weapon to purge evil. It was the same blade the first Makti from his clan used, and now it rested in his hands. Despite the fact he could barely carry it himself, he kept it as a reminder... a reminder of those who loved him... and those he loved.

Eishla watched from the small crack in the door. He made no movement, sitting with his back to her as he stared at his father's blade. Her Rites silently moved the door aside, allowing her to step in quietly and sit behind him. He was getting bigger, something she'd expected but wished to be prolonged. She had never cared for a child before, and she had never loved one so... naturally. Her power was now focused on keeping him out of harm's way in this world. He was a lost little boy... and she was his beacon in the dark. She heard him sniffle, then wipe his eyes as he ran his fingers over the flat of his father's blade.

"I miss them... all of them..." She laughed to herself, shuffling closer and pulling him into her embrace. He leaned into her, closing his eyes as she held him.

She pulled his hair back, trying to tame what couldn't be held down. "You know... I met your father as a child," Eishla whispered, resting her head on his. "He was smaller... and skinny." Tony chuckled lightly, adjusting himself in front of her. "We grew up in the same division. Gifted warriors, they called us. Of course, he was the Doshu'um, so we all looked to him for guidance."

Her eyes looked over the blade's callsign, which she remembered out of her vast memories. He sniffled again, rubbing his arms as he remembered the nights before landing in her backyard.

"But he treated us the same. Even your Mother, if I recall," she giggled, thinking back to the pair. "She was very tenacious, and often times they'd but heads. They were dependable, I must say... we survived many battles. They were wonderful people... I can only imagine how it would be to have them as parents."

Tony turned and hugged her, burying his tear stricken face in her shoulder. She could feel his sorrow, the pain he'd withstood at such a young age. If he were human, she had not a doubt in her mind that he would be traumatized. But it was impossible for a Loki'irian. Instead, they paid a much higher cost. It would forever remain in their memories, for them to see in their sleep with no details spared. And she knew the extent of his sleep's memory. Unlike an older warrior, he didn't have many memories to minimize his chances of remembering.

She held him tightly, rocking them slowly as his emotions spilled onto her. "I wished I was dead," he forced himself to sob. "I wanted to see them... I wanted to be with them..."

Eishla lifted his head, wiping away his tears and smiling as she caressed his face. "You aren't the first, little one," she assured him. "We've all known great sorrow... it makes us strong. You are strong... even for such a small child."

He smiled briefly before lowering his head again. "I'm not strong... I'm not strong," he whispered, touching her hands. "I get scared when I think of them coming... when he finds me... I don't want you to die."

Though she still had most of her power, she couldn't stand against the eldest of his brothers. Even she had heard about their success as warriors from others of their kind on Earth. Even so, she still breathed, and he still lived under her name. He was her son, and no person would tell her otherwise.

"I won't, Reku'un," Eishla responded, scratching his head soothingly. "I promise, I'll be here for you... no matter what happens. Yes?"

He shook his head, laughing as he wiped his nose and looked into her eyes. "I'm going to get stronger, Eishla," he said, his eyes still leaking. "I'm gonna get strong, then I won't be scared... I'll protect you and Daniel..." He leaned into her again, embracing her despereately. "Salemos... Heraj."

Eishla's eyes widened, and soon enough she was smiling, her own tears falling into his unkempt hair. She embraced him with a new sense of fulfillment, and he reciprocated it without hesitating. This was her son. She didn't birth him... but she found him stumbling. He was her son...

...her little one.





Present Day



"I had two wonderful mothers... and now they're gone." Applejack sat beside him, his feet dipping into a pond. His eyes fixed themselves on the water's surface, lazily moving from time to time. "Can't say it's harder than it was for you guys, huh?"

She chuckled and set her stetson beside her, looking out to the water. "Mac was workin' extra hard," she sighed. "Me nearly leavin' got him all worked up. Applebloom was too small to get it all... and Granny just wasn't the same."

The two kept quiet for another minute, until Tony grabbed a rock and tossed it. It skidded along the surface a few times before sinking. "I bet your parents were great," he smiled, handing her some pebbles. "Doesn't seem easy for just you four to run a farm."

Applejack shrugged, winding up her hoof before sending it skidding along the pond, going across the entire body of water. She gave him a smug grin, which he shot back as he grabbed another rock. With a wide swing, he launched the pebble at the water, sending up a wave before it jumped up and into a tree, splitting it in half. He cringed as it fell with a sharp crack, then glanced down to Applejack.

"Maybe we should keep it simple," she nervously laughed, skidding another one across the water.

He chuckled and scratched the side of his head. "Yeah." The sound of rocks jumping across the water was all there was to hear for some time. "So how'd you guys get through it?"

The farm girl held her hoof in place before looking down into her reflection. "Ah ain't gonna lie and say it wasn't hard," she said, thinking back to the young filly she'd been. "Mac and I did our best to make sure Granny wasn't doing much, but then 'Bloom started asking to help."

He could see why. Seeing her brother and sister working so hard could only lead to her wanting to do the same, just so she could be like them. "She helps out now, but I'm guessing she wasn't always this familiar with it," Tony said, chucking a rock into the center of the pond.

"She was five, and she wanted to start haulin' off apples," Applejack laughed. "Now it ain't that hard no more, but Ah won't lie and say Ah don't get tired. 'Specially when Ah started out."

He could still remember working for her after returning from the rescue. "But now you guys are doing well," he reminded her, laying back on the grass. "And if you need help, you know who to ask."

She nodded with a small chuckle, rolling over to lay her head on his stomach. They stared into the sky, making out pictures and shapes from the clouds. "Wish you coulda met 'em... they'd wouldn't warm up to the whole 'alien prince' thing too nicely, but they would get over it," Applejack told him. He smiled and looked down at her, to which she gave a smirk.

"I bet they were amazing... and, for what it's worth, I'm sure my parents and Eishla would've liked you, too," he laughed, prompting her to do the same. "I think my father would be more amused, and my mother would want to know about earth ponies in particular. Eishla... Eishla would've loved to meet a new race. She helped stop a first-contact war."

She nervously chuckled, putting her stetson over her face to block the sun. "Ah think it would've been more terrifying to see yer dad," she admitted. "When Ah saw you Ah just didn't know what to say. Imagine seeing a bigger you!"

"My dad wasn't intimidating!" Tony chuckled. "He barely even wore his armor, so you guys would've seen his face!"

They fell back into small chat about their loved ones. It was like they were still around, only miles away. It felt nice talking about them. No somber tones or wailing over what the past held. It was still new for Tony, but hearing Applejack talk so passionately and confidently made his own speech more genuine. The sun was still high in the sky, and they hadn't lost steam about their parents. But Tony took a moment to drink in the spring air. His mother loved it more than the summers, and he never knew why. She loved it, and that was it. It was a small thing to remember, but then again he wasn't going to forget.

"Hey, Tony." He glanced down at her, noting the sad smile. "You ever feel... like they're watching us?"

Tony looked back up to the blue sky and exhaled quietly. "My people interacted with dead relatives," he informed her, catching her attention. "Some could even see them, with enough energy. I don't know if they just roam the world, or go to Minira's garden, but what I do know is that they watch over those they love... and that they're waiting on the other side."

He heard Applejack sniff beneath her hat, and he reached down and held her hoof. "That's... good to know," she said, her voice stabilizing. "Ah want them to know we're okay... and how their family is still going strong."

Sitting up, Tony shifted over to her side and clutched her hoof tightly, similar to how he would have held Dan's hand. "To our parents," he whispered, pushing the stetson onto her head. She shook her head and wiped her puffy eyes, gripping his hand and smiling.

"To Ma and Pa," she whispered back. They turned and stood up, walking over to a tall oak tree. Beneath it, a headstone and flowers rested behind a picture of two ponies. Applejack, Big Mac, and Applebloom were still small. "Happy Mother's Day, Mama."

Tony set down a gift of his own, nodding to the picture. He looked over, seeing a patch of flowers beginning to grow. Plucking some, he went to the water's edge and kneeled, then sent three of them floating across.

"Happy Mother's Day, Heraj," he said aloud. "...Happy Mother's Day, Eishla."

Applejack stood beside him, her tears gone and her smile unwavering.

"We love you both."

PreviousChapters Next