• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 20,446 Views, 534 Comments

To Call the Moon My Own - That_Random_Pony



It's funny learning how easy it is to lose everything. But it's even funnier to learn how easy it can be to replace what was lost.

  • ...
62
 534
 20,446

PreviousChapters Next
For the Time Being

" Okay. So until you guys find a spell that can bring me and the kid home, you want us to go with Twilight?".

" Yes", Celestia said.

" And we're going to live in, Ponyville right?", Dan questioned. Celestia nodded again.

" It may not take long for us to find a proper spell to send you home", Luna assured him. " You might be there for a few days".

Dan sighed. " Well, I don't think the ponies are gonna be alright with two humans walking around. One being as big as you Celestia".

" Don't worry none, Ah'm sure everypony'll love you guys", Applejack tapped his thigh. " Once they get t' know ya first".

Dan scratched the stubble that had been growing in thought. " Hmm, well, what do you think Tony?", he asked his friend.

Tony had kept quiet the entire time, occasionaly glancing at Luna. " I don't know. Couldn't we stay here?", he suggested.

" The guest rooms are often used by any visiting nations", Celestia sighed. " And with recent news we may need them for some time".

" And what about Cadence?", Tony asked.

" Even she used one of the more secure guest rooms", Luna said. " There aren't any other rooms. This castle was built for my sister and I".

Tony exhaled as he rested his chin on his knuckle. They couldn't stay here, there weren't any rooms available. Going to Ponyville could freak out most of the ponies, but Applejack did say they would warm up to them. Either that or they shun him like Earth. He could stand it, but he preferred the former.

" Then I guess Ponyville it is", Tony said. " When do we leave?".

" I've already summoned a train for your return", Celestia smiled. " It won't leave until you get there".

" Then let's go! We have to show you guys Ponyville, it's so amazing!", Pinkie squeed as she hopped in front of the girls.

" Wait up Pinks", Dash chuckled.

Twilight turned back to them. " We won't be long, just wait for us in the throne room", she called to them.

The four of them went to the throne room to wait for the Elements. Luna sleepily said her goodbyes to them and retired to her room. Tony's eyes didn't leave her until she teleported away. Dan could see the signs, but he wasn't going to say anything. Yet.

" So Celestia", Dan began. " What's Ponyville like?".

" Its very different from Canterlot. Much more rural and simple. The ponies are very friendly as well", Celestia said. " There shouldn't be much problems for you two once you get there".

" I hope so", Tony mumbled. " Wait. Is Ponyville that village we passed by? The one close to the Everfree?".

" Yes. Although the animals don't leave its boundaries, unless a timberwolf is chasing somepony", Celestia said.

" Good thing we blew that place to high hell right kid?", Dan laughed as he threw his arm around Tony.

He hesitated before he answered. " Yeah, we won't have to worry about them", he said.

The three conversed until the Elements came with their luggage. Most of them had a bag or two. Most of them. Rarity was not one of them. She had five suitcases stacked on on top of the other with clothes and fabrics sticking out of them. Tony was surprised she could even pull it along, while Dan was chuckling.

" And before we leave", Rarity said. " I made you these". Another set of shirts and pants levitated to them.

Tony got another pair of black pants. He shirt this time was long sleeved black shirt with a white stripe running across the chest and down the inner sides of the sleeves. Dan had a similar shirt, but his was yellow with black and his pants were grayish.

" Wow. You weren't lying when you said you make good clothes Rarity", Dan smiled. Rarity giggled a little from his satisfaction.

" They're very nice Rarity", Tony said. " Thank you".

" My pleasure", she beamed.

" Okay let's go", Rainbow groaned. " We can talk about dresses on the train!".

The girls rolled their eyes and made their way to the golden doors. Twilight nuzzled her teacher and said," Bye Princess".

" See you again my faithful student", she returned the nuzzle.

" Peace Celestia!", Dan raised his two fingers. Tony silently waved and followed after Dan.

" Tony". He stopped in his tracks and turned back to the sun goddess. " Can I speak to you for a moment?".

He gave Dan a questioning look. Dan in turn shrugged his shoulders and followed the mares. Tony walked back to Celestia who had a soft smile.

" Yes Princess?", he said.

" Like I said, just Celestia is fine", she smiled warmly. " I just wanted you to know that Dan told us a little about you".

He had to act like he didn't hear what they said. Or else she might get the wrong idea.

" What did he say?", Tony asked.

" About what your childhood was like", her smile softened. " I just wanted you to know that Dan isn't the only friend you have. The Elements and I will be here for you when you need us. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask".

Friend. Again that word, and he still felt weird being called that by anyone other than Dan. That didn't mean what she said didn't touch him. She was a very warm and kind pony. She was only trying to help him in any way she could. Just like...just like his Heraj.

Salemos

The thought vanished as he quickly thought about something else. He turned back to Celestia, who was still smiling warmly. Another friend. It was a strange concept for him, since he was alone aside from family. Still, her saying she was his friend made him feel...wanted. Like someone actually cared for him.

His lips curled into a small smile. " Thank you Celestia", he smiled.

" Hey kid, c'mon! Dashie's getting impatient!", Dan laughed.

" I said not to call me that!", Rainbow shouted. Celestia and Tony chuckled as they smiled at each other one last time.

" Bye Celestia", he said.

" See you soon Tony", she nodded. He ran to the doors and joined the others outside. " You can come out now Luna".

The sleepy princess of the night stepped out of her cover behind the beam. " How long did you know I was there?".

Celestia smirked. " Oh. The whole time", she teased. " You shouldn't be up right now".

Luna let out another tired yawn. " I know, but I had to see them off", she moaned sleepily.

Celestia thought back to last night. Tony and Luna sitting and talking and laughing, it made her grin a little. And then came the idea.

" Luna. I'm sure being ponynapped wasn't the most pleasurable experience", Celestia began. Luna shot her deadpan.

" You don't say?", she snorted.

" That's why I'll handle your duties for tonight", Celestia declared. " I'll take over the night court for this night for you to recover".

Luna looked confused as ever. " But, I'm fine Tia. You don't need to-"

" C'mon Lulu, I give you the night off and you say no?", Celestia giggled. Luna thought a little more about it, then smiled.

" Then jokes on you!", she cheered. " Good morning Tia". She pranced away in a better mood now that she had a night away from work.

While Celestia didn't appreciate the extra work, she did however smile. If this worked, she might see her sister smiling a lot more around the castle.



As the group walked through the streets many ponies stopped and stared at the two strange creatures. Some were frightened by their size and appearance while others took much interest in them. They even waved at them, to which the ponies replied with a hesitant wave back.

The human and Loki'irian looked at the fancy and expensive buildings around. They were, well, expensive looking and about the same size as Earth houses. Without a doubt they were in upper class territory, only supported by the ponies with high held heads and fancy suits and dresses. They passed by a donut shop that Pinkie zoomed in and out of. Her ability to defy the laws of physics confused the new witnesses.

After a few stares and frightened looks they reached the train station. The mares boarded the train with the two in tow. Dan and Tony marveled at the size of the single train. There were rooms for each of them, and a single space with a couch for them to hang around.

" So this is what first class feels like", Dan said. Tony was equally impressed, but he didn't marvel like his friend.

" Well, wake me when we get there", Rainbow said as she left to her room.

The mares each left to their own rooms, as did Tony and Dan. The beds weren't big enough to hold either of them, so they had to rest with their backs on the walls. Now that he had time away from the others, he could think about their situation.

The Arthanians came back to his mind. He had a nagging at the back of his head. A hunch, that something else was going on. Something big. Their numbers had increased in a little more than a day. From seven to fifty or more. The structure also wasn't making any sense. Even with the poor job it would have been weeks before they could actually use it. Then the electrical security system, even more time to set it up.

Their wasn't a queen in there, so that explanation was void. Even with sixty Arthanians they'd still need years to complete the tunnel and drain systems. Another reason overruled. And the scouts. How could he have forgotten about the scouts? They weren't with him when they came to Equestria, so how could they have been here?

So many questions piling, and no answers came to mind. At least, answers that were plausible. The more he went over it the more confusing it was.

Knock knock

He came back from his thoughts. " Come in", he called. The door glowed a faint purple and opened, Twilight standing behind the threshold. " Need some more answers?".

" No. Well, not yet", she smiled. Tony chuckled lightly and stood up.

" Then what do you need?", he asked.

She looked at him, then her gaze traveled down before coming back up. " I wanted to ask about the scars on your back", she said with concern. Tony tensed slightly, he could sense the question. " Why haven't they healed like the others?".

Tony's smile faded, and he turned to the window. Twilight waited patiently, stepping in further. He had to think of a way to explain it without giving away anything related to Loki'ir. He sighed deeply before turning back to her.

" Uh, if I don't see how I got injured then it won't heal properly", he lied. " Those were lucky hits".

" More like unlucky", she said. Inwardly he sighed with relief. She bought it.

" I guess so", he chuckled. " And why is that so important?".

" Well I was just worried about you when I saw it didn't heal", she said like it was obvious. " Is it so bad to worry for a friend?".

That word again. It still felt weird to he called friend.

Is this how everyone feels?

Twilight noticed his mind wandering after her last sentence. " You alright?", she asked. He looked back at her, then smiled a little.

" I'm fine", he said. A thought occured to him, them his smile grew into a smirk. " So you were worried about me huh?".

She was about to answer when she registered his tone. Her cheeks turned a light pink at the realization. " No! I mean yeah I was worried but that's because-"

" Relax!", Tony laughed. " I was teasing Twilight". She glared at him, then her horn glowed. The next thing he saw was his pillow, then he heard Twilight laughing.

" Very funny", Twilight giggled. Tony tossed the pillow back onto his bed. " Well we should be in Ponyville in an hour or two. See ya then".

" Bye", he said. She left his room, closing the door behind her with her magic.

He couldn't help but feel different. He recognized it when someone called him "friend". With Celestia, with Twilight, with Rarity. Each time he heard it felt alien, which was ironic in a way. For once he wasn't being called freak. They actually saw him as a friend, even when they saw him change.

Knock knock

" Come in", he called. This time it was Dan behind the door. " Hey man".

" Hey kid", Dan sighed as he sat on Tony's undersized bed.

" What's up?", Tony asked. Dan kept quiet, unsure of whether or not he had enough reasons to tell his idea to Tony.

" Uh, so what do you think Ponyville'll be like?", Dan careened away from that suggestion.

Not yet

" Well Celestia said they should get used to us", Tony said. " I just hope she's right".

Dan knew what he meant by that. He put his hand on Tony's shoulder. " Tony, I'm sure they're nothing like those guys", Dan assured him. " Twilight and her friends seem pretty cool".

Tony smiled a bit. " They do. But we'll see when we get there", Tony said. " Hey Dan, when you first got here, did you have any soldiers or scouts near you?".

" Nah. Its like I said. I was walking to work when some lady screamed I was on fire. Then my body turned into that magic dust crap and I woke up in the Everfree. Why? Didn't they come with you?". Tony nodded, a bit disappointed that Dan couldn't offer any help.

" Yeah, seven of them. Not fifty something soldiers and forty something scouts", Tony said. " How many took you?".

Dan shrugged. " Like, what, five, not counting the mutt-ka-bob", he chuckled at his small victory.

" So twelve soldiers", Tony mumbled. " Then how could there have been so many?".

Dan looked at the ceiling as he thought. " Maybe Netu'ung brought more buddies here?", he thought aloud.

" How? I've never seen or heard of a rite like that. He couldn't have done it". Dan scratched the stubble again, then groaned in frustration.

" They're dead. And who gives a shit?", he said dumbly. " I'm tired. I'm not gonna beat my brain up over some dead mutts. And you shouldn't either. Now rest up, 'cause this is the only time you can't walk around or nothing". Dan waggled his finger playfully to emphasize his point.

Tony groaned playfully and sat on the bed. " Fine". Dan rolled out of the room like an idiot and shut the door behind him. " If he keeps this up I might need to make sure Pinkie's not related to him".



Blueblood stomped around his chambers in frustration. The two animals were finally gone, along with the wenches, but that didn't mean his punishment was over. After Celestia berated him for putting Tony in his place she grounded him. As if he were some foal!

" I swear, sometimes Celestia is as blind as the ponies that look at her sun", he muttered. He heard a small click, then a prick in his right buttock.

He turned to where the sound came from. The balcony was empty, the curtains blowing in the small winds of the tower he rested in. He then peered behind him to his flank. Puncturing his white coat and the pink skin was a dart. He felt dizzy as he collapsed to the floor. Before he lost consciousness he saw a hooded figure land on the balcony. Then, black.

The hooded figure approached the sleeping prince. He had heard everything the little filth had said. Getting rid of him would be easy, but then again, he was in need of a pawn. Now though, he needed to make sure that he was under watch. He reached into his pocket and produced a third circular object. The prince was even trickier than Luna. He had hundreds of silk white suits to wear, and he wore no crown.

However, he did always use the same rose to decorate his ensemble. The spell on it kept it from wilting like any other flower. Carefully he attached it to one of the inner petals. He checked his wrist, and three small dots indicated the three ponies he had already tagged. Luna was in her chambers, Celestia in the throne room, and Blueblood here.

He lifted the prince and layed him on his bed. He positioned him expertly to make it seem as if he fell asleep while ranting about his aunt. In the end, Blueblood's left side hung over the edge of the bed as he snored loudly. The hooded figure returned to the balcony, then leaped on top of it. Like the last time the Alpha waited with the Loki'irian child. In the day however, he could see the scar over the Alpha's right eye.

" Take us back", he said to the child. The hooded figure placed his hand on the boy's shoulder, and they vanished.



" Last stop! Ponyville!", the conductor announced.

The group was waiting in the lounge car for the train to stop. They swayed forward as the brakes screeched them to a halt. Tony and Dan followed after them onto the platform. The train pulled out and gave them a clear view of the town. It was just like Celestia said, but she didn't say that it was so colorful. No two buildings were the same.

" C'mon! We'll give you guys a tour!", Pinkie shouted. She pulled Tony along with Dan in tow.

She dragged them into the town. Like Canterlot the ponies stopped and stared at him and Dan. Most of them backed away while some even fainted. The two of them turned to Twilight, who grinned sheepishly.

" Heh heh, I'm sure they'll get used to you", she smiled.

" Yeah, ponies around here sort of...overreact", Rainbow chuckled. " Don't sweat it, they'll get used to you. They did with Zakora".

" Zakora?", Dan parroted.

" We might see er later", Applejack said.

" Look look! This is my Sugarcube Corner!", Pinkie pushed their heads to the side.

It was a building made out of gingerbread with icing along the edges and chocolate roof tiles. Two huge lollipops crossed at the front of it, just above the door. In the windows on display were delicious looking cakes and muffins.

" You work here?", Dan asked.

" Mmhmm! And I live upstairs!", Pinkie smiled. " I can make the best cupcakes, muffins, cakes, pastries, cherrichangas ever!".

They walked further into town. Before they reached their next destination Tony saw a large tree farther into town. It was bigger than trees were supposed to be. Almost as big as...

Defili trees.

" This is my home and work place", Rarity said proudly. It looked like a carnival ride, except there was flags and banners blowing in the breeze. " Carousel Boutique".

" You don't say", Dan mumbled. To him the building looked like it belonged in Canterlot. " So this is where you sow all the dresses and stuff?".

" Yes. Oh and before I forget, I wanted to know if you could both stop by tomorrow", she said. " I have so many designs that would suit the both of you!"

" And with the Gala comin' up ya might need somethin' t' wear", Applejack advised.

" The Gala?", Tony questioned.

" Later", Twilight said. " C'mon, let me show you the library".

They passed through what looked like some sort of square. " This is Town Hall by the way", Applejack informed them.

Tony looked around for the large tree he saw before. They turned a corner and it was in full view. There was a platform and a balcony on the second floor. There was a sizable door too and some windows carved into it. Other than that though, it looked intact. The leaves of the branches were still green, and the bark looked alive. He was ignoring everything Twilight was saying as he stared at it.

Dan took note of Tony's stares. No doubt he was remembering more personal things. " Hey, kid here used to hang out in libraries all the time. Right kid?", Dan nudged him.

Tony heard Dan and spoke up. " Uh, yeah. But they ran out of books for me to read a long time ago", he said.

" You read an entire library?!", Twilight shot up to him.

Tony backed away a little. " Yeah. Took me what, five days?", he recalled. Her jaw dropped, then closed into a big smile.

" Well there's hundreds of books here! We could both read them once we get you settled!", she said with excitement.

" Yeah, you two could egghead it up", Rainbow joked.

" Let's just move on", Dan chuckled. " Where to next?".

" We could show you my home. I-If you want to", Fluttershy mumbled.

" Sure", Tony said. " Lead the way".

The cottage that was Fluttershy's home was at the edge of town. Twilight's library wasn't too far, so it only took a few minutes. They stopped just behind the small bridge with the stream beneath it. From where he was standing, Tony could smell dozens of animals.

" It looks nice", Tony said. His gaze wandered to farther behind it, where there was the small field that seperated her home from the Everfree. " Awfully close to the forest isn't it?".

" Oh, nothing really leaves it. Its perfectly safe", Fluttershy smiled. " And lots of animals come through here sometimes".

He remembered her knack for dealing with animals. " So is there anything else we should see?", he asked to the others.

" Well there's Sweet Apple Acres, but its on the other side o' town", Applejack said. " Ya'll can drop by tomorrow if you want".

" We'll keep that in mind", Dan said. " So where are we staying again?".

" Princess Celestia said you two will be staying with me. Come on", she waved for them to follow. " See ya later girls".

" Bye Twilight", they all waved.

The sun was just above the horizon when they reached the library. Tony still felt a bit of nostalgia from seeing a tree as big as it was. He hadn't seen one as big as that since he left Loki'ir. And that was decades ago.

Twilight rapped on the door a few times. No answer. She knocked a second time but with the same results.

" Spike!", she shouted as she knocked.

" You have a dog?", Dan asked.

" No, Spike's-"

The door swung open and a short dragon with purple scales and green spines ran out to hug Twilight.

" Twilight!", he shouted as he ran out. Twilight returned the hug.

Tony's eyes went wide. He examined the dragon's features to make sure he wasn't dreaming.

Scales, no shit. Claws, obviously. Tongue, probably. Tail, no duh. Wings, none. And how is he standing like us?

A better question was how in Minira's name was a Nera'ak here? It wasn't exactly like a Nera'ak, but it was very close. Maybe a different species?

" I thought you said you were gonna be back yesterday?", Spike said.

" We were but we got a little held up. But Spike, I want you to meet some ponies", Twilight said. She stepped aside and showed the two humanoid figures. " This is Tony and this is Dan. They're gonna be staying with us until the princess can find a way to send them home".

Spike looked in fright at the hulking figures. He wasn't as scared as he should have been, but he felt like he could trust the taller one. It was confusing, but he didn't think he would hurt him.

" Dan, Tony, this is Spike, my number one assistant", Twilight introduced him.

" Wow, you have dragons here?", Dan said. " And he talks".

" Of course I talk", Spike said a little annoyed. " All dragons can talk".

There are other Nera'ak?!

" Sorry", he chuckled nervously. He held out his fist to the baby dragon. " My name's Dan. Nice meeting ya".

Spike bumped his fist against Dan's then Tony's. " It's fine. So what are you?".

" We're human", Tony said. He could tell the young Nera'ak was bonding with him. But the question was, how?

" Come in", Twilight motioned with her hoof to follow.

They stepped inside to be met with books. Shelves made up the walls and said shelves were filled left to right with a variety of books. Dan didn't think much of it while Tony's urge to read came like a storm. Loki'irians were fast readers, very fast readers. The library he finished off took four or five days. This one, this one would keep him occupied for some time.

" Wow", Tony said under his breath. " So where are we gonna be sleeping?".

Twilight rose a hoof as she thought. " There's the guest bed upstairs and the couch, but I don't think it'll be comfortable".

" You can have the guest room", Tony told Dan.

Dan crossed his arms and smirked. " Actually kid, you can have it", he retorted.

" Dan-"

" That couch barely fits me and it won't be big enough for you", Dan pointed out.

Tony sighed because he knew Dan was right. Again. " Fine. Twilight, lead the way", he said. She trotted up the stairs to the second floor.

Her bed was above some of the shelves of books, but there was a door for guests. She rarely used it since nopony wanted to stay in a library. Tony followed her past her bed and into his room. In it was a bed almost as big as the one in Canterlot, beside it was a nightstand. Opposite the bed was a dresser for clothes, which Rarity would be happy to make. The window was to the left of the room, and beside it led to the platform he saw outside.

" So this is it", Twilight said. " I know its not the best, but I haven't used it in a while".

" More like ever", Spike snickered. She glared at him. " Sorry".

" Its fine Twilight", Tony said as he stepped in. He sat down on the bed which was very comfortable. " Thanks".

She smiled happily at him. " Glad you think so! So the bathrooms down the hall, and if you need anything I'm just a room over!", she smiled.

" Okay. I think you should help Dan settle in", Tony suggested. Twilight nodded and left, but Spike entered.

" Hey Tony", Spike said. Tony lowered his gaze to the Nera'ak. " So are you guys like...aliens?".

Tony wanted to laugh that even though he thought humans were aliens, he was kind of right that Tony was an alien. Instead he smiled and said," I guess we are in a way".

" 'Kay, just asking", Spike said. He left the Loki'irian to himself.

Tony looked out the window again, he could see the mountain Canterlot rested beside. Looking at the city this late only brought one thing to mind.

...Luna...

Author's Note:

I would have held this off for another day, but I know you guys won't like that! Anyways, how about that site handover? Quite a doozy, as Pinkie would say. But still, glad we can have HiE fics. So thanks everypony for following with this story!

PreviousChapters Next