• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 3,422 Views, 240 Comments

Pinkie The Match-Maker - Ficta_Scriptor



Fluttershy yearns for a family of her own but is too shy around stallions for her own good. When Pinkie Pie discovers that her friend has a crush on Big Mac, she makes it her mission to bring the two together whether they like it or not!

  • ...
18
 240
 3,422

Chapter 2 - Box Factory

Chapter 2 – Box Factory

“No, no, you should come ‘n’ see… Come ‘n’ see me play,” Octavia slurred, sipping her mojito. “It’s gonna be like… wow.”

“Oh I will, I will,” replied Twilight, propping herself up against the wall for support. “And I’ll cheer louder than everypony. I would love to watch you play.” Stumbling a little, she prodded the musician on the shoulder, almost sending her to the floor.

“I think maybe you should stop drinkin’,” Octavia said in a serious tone, before bursting into a fit of giggles, attempting to down her drink but spewing most of it across the room.

“Octavia! Say it, don’t spray it!” Twilight squealed, entering a fit of laughter herself.

“Hey! How’s everypony doing?” Pinkie piped up, appearing between the two mares. “You both seem to be having fun!”

“Pinkie, Pinkie, Pinkie,” Octavia muttered, embracing the pink party pony. “You’ve made me a very happy pony. You said to me… and you were right…” The chocolate-maned mare paused, wincing as if staring intently into her own memories. “Nope, I’ve forgotten. But thanks!”

“Glad to hear it!” Pinkie chimed, bouncing off and leaving Twilight to catch the inebriated cellist.

“All Ah’m sayin’ is there ain’t nothin’ wrong with it,” said Applejack, wolfing down another pretzel. “Ah never said you were into that. Ah just said that if you were, ain’t nothin’ would change between us.”

“I already told you!” cried Rainbow Dash, thumping her hoof down on the table. “I’m not a lesbian! Why is it so hard for you to understand that?”

“Listen, sugarcube. Ah know what yer sayin’, and Ah for one ain’t never suspected that you were, but all Ah meant was if you were—”

“Oh, can it!” Rainbow ordered grumpily, scrunching up another can of cider with her forehead. “How can I be that way inclined if I have the hots for your cousin, Braeburn? In fact, I’ve got a bar of soap with his name on it!”

“Now that is just disgustin’!” Applejack shot back. “Ain’t no reason to go talkin’ about mah family like that! Or any kind of sanitary product for that matter!”

Fluttershy sat to the side of the two mares, twiddling her hooves awkwardly as she waited for the heat between them to die down. She’d come to this party to get away from her personal problems, but even being in a crowded room, with ponies dancing and chattering, she felt so alone. Of course she was shy, but there had to be some other reason why she was always the first to fall from the group. Was she just not good enough for anypony? Regardless of whether they were a mare or a stallion? A friend or a lover?

The yellow pegasus never told anypony, but she somehow felt as if she was always in the background. She couldn’t help but feel like the rest of the world would get on fine without her, as if the only reason she had friends was because she just happened to be an Element of Harmony. Without that, she’d be nothing. Just a cowardly pegasus who didn’t even have the confidence to talk to anypony about her problems. It was contradictory, in a way. She was shy by name and shy by nature. Being the centre of attention was terrible, but being alone — completely alone — was worse.

“… isn’t that right, Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash finished, waiting for an answer.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Could you repeat the question?”

The cyan pony rolled her eyes. “I said that everypony has the hots for someone at some point. Be honest, Fluttershy. Is there a stallion you’ve got your eye on?”

“Oh… um…” Fluttershy began to blush uncontrollably, scratching her head anxiously as she tried to think of a way out of the situation. “I don’t have my eye on anypony,” she said calmly.

“Oh come on, you can tell us!” Rainbow said slyly. “Don’t tell me your wings weren’t on the brink of popping off when we met Braeburn!”

“No... I don’t think that way about anypony,” she protested, becoming increasingly flustered.

“Not unless you have a crush that’s a little closer to home,” Dash said, her smile widening. “I wonder if—”

“Now Ah think that’s enough!” commanded Applejack. “Ain’t no need to go interrogatin’ the poor mare!”

The poor mare, Fluttershy thought to herself. You couldn’t have said it any better, AJ.

At the other end of the room, Vinyl Scratch had taken a short break from the decks to finish off ‘her’ bottle of rum, leaving the music on a pre-set track list. As Pinkie Pie bounced around, checking up on her guests, the white unicorn called her over.

“Isn’t this party just the best?” the excitable earth pony exclaimed, hoof-bumping the air.

“It’s great,” Vinyl responded with, a little unenthusiastically.

“Um, Scratchy? Is something up?” Pinkie asked, furrowing her brow with concern. “Are you not having a good time?”

The frizzy-maned unicorn sighed, summoning up the courage to say what needed to be said. “This party is great and all, but there’s something missing.”

“Animal crackers?”

“No, Pinkie. You throw great parties — that’s obvious — but I can’t help but feel this party is… Well, to put it bluntly, it’s a total fish market.”

“A what?”

“You know... a box factory.”

“Huh?”

“A clam bake?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Pinkie said confusedly.

Vinyl groaned, shaking her head. “Where’s the meat!?”

“But Scratchy, we’re ponies. We don’t eat meat!”

“Speak for yourself.” Vinyl sighed, taking another swig of rum. “What I’m trying to say is, this party needs guys. Food? Great. Drink? Great. Music? Well, it wouldn’t be anything less than amazing with me here. The eye candy? Not so great.”

“I never heard of candy for your eyes,” Pinkie commented, stroking her chin. “I’ll make sure to do some research for my next party! Thanks for the suggestion, Scratchy!”

Vinyl sighed once again, realising that she was fighting a losing battle. “Sure, whatever.”

“Um, excuse me,” Fluttershy asked quietly as she tried navigating her way through the crowd. “Pardon me.” She made her way past Derpy, whose eyes had almost completely straightened, thanks in part to alcohol. Lyra and Bon Bon were dancing, and Rarity was — to put it politely — trying to dance, but failing miserably.

The noise, the laughter, the smell, Fluttershy just wanted to get away. She wasn’t having a good time here. In fact, it only made her think of how much happier everypony else was than her. Even Applejack and Rainbow Dash, who had spent much of the night arguing, were still jolly and carefree. Twilight and Rarity appeared to have made new friends, and everypony was having a good time, just like they were supposed to. So why not her? Why? She’d enjoyed Pinkie’s parties before, but now, for some reason…

“What’cha up to, Fluttershy?” Pinkie chirped, appearing in front of her and blocking the way out. “You’re leaving already?”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Pinkie,” the pegasus replied. “It’s just that I promised to give Angel a bath before he goes to bed tonight. I really should get going. Thanks for the party, as always.”

“Thanks for coming, as always!” the pink pony replied, almost strangling Fluttershy with a hug. “And my next party will be even better! I just need to find some candy for eyes.”

“That’s nice,” she replied softly, breaking free from Pinkie’s vice grip. “Goodbye.”

Without waiting for another response, Fluttershy opened up the bakery door, stepped outside, slammed it shut, and took a deep breath. The cool evening air was admittedly refreshing, but not enough to quell her oncoming headache. It had all become simply too much. With her head hung low, she began the trek home. There, she would spend the night alone, day in, day out, for the rest of her days. All that was left was to find comfort in seclusion.

Not looking where she was going, the pegasus walked head-on into another pony, falling to the ground with a squeal of pain.

“Oh mah goodness, are you okay, Fluttershy? Ah’m awfully sorry.”

“It’s okay, I’m fine. I just…” The young mare trailed off as she looked up to see Big Macintosh’s enormous, caring green eyes staring deeply into her own. She felt her cheeks grow hotter as the stare continued, eventually forcing her to look away.

Inside Sugarcube corner, Vinyl Scratch called Pinkie over to the window. The party pony peered out curiously as the unicorn pointed to the two ponies just outside.

That’s what I’m talking about,” the DJ said with a wry smile.

“You mean Big Mac?” Pinkie asked, furrowing her brow. “Does he know about eye candy?”

“It takes one to know one. Do you see what we’re missing out on if you don’t extend your guest list a little bit? I’m pretty sure every one of your friends would be grateful, too. Maybe not Rainbow Dash, but that’s beside the point. You know, he reminds me of this stallion I used to know at school. Woody, I think his name was. Anyway…”

As Vinyl scratch blabbered on, Pinkie barely listened. She simply kept her eyes fixed on the two ponies outside, her smile growing with every second.

“It’s alright, I should really have been watching where I was going,” Fluttershy mumbled, her legs feeling weak as Big Mac helped her up. Her heart raced as the stallion smiled politely, his face barely a foot away from hers. If she could only build up the courage to just lean forward…

“Don’t worry about it,” the red pony said dismissively. “Ah should have been payin’ attention too. You had a good time at the party?”

“Oh, yes,” Fluttershy lied, smiling weakly. “How… How did you know I was at a party?”

“Ah’m guessin’ it’s the same one mah stubborn sister is at,” he replied with a chuckle. “She’s supposed to be back home by now. The last time she stayed out late Ah had to drag her out of bed in the mornin’. Guess I’d better get to it. G’night, Fluttershy.”

“Oh, of course…” she whispered disappointedly, shifting her gaze away. “Good night.”

Big Mac nodded, pressing on to Sugarcube Corner. Fluttershy watched him for a few more seconds, her heart still pounding against her chest. As the stallion was welcomed inside, she turned away, continuing her journey home, not looking back. What point was there in looking back at something she would never have?

“Applejack!”

“What? Oh, for Pete’s sake!” Applejack glared angrily at her brother. “Ah’m fine to stay here, Big Mac.”

“That’s what you said last time,” he said matter-of-factly. “An’ we all know how that went.”

As the two siblings continued bickering, Applejack finally conceding to her brother’s wishes and going home, Pinkie was looking intently at Big Mac, rubbing her hooves together as she hatched a dastardly plan. She knew what she had to do.


“I just don’t know what it is, but sometimes, I get so lonely. I just want somepony to be there for me.”

Big Mac grinned, running a hoof through Fluttershy’s mane. “Ain’t no need for anypony to be lonely,” he whispered softly, pulling her closer. “Ah can’t let that happen, not on mah watch.”

“Oh, Big Mac…” Fluttershy wrapped her forelegs around him, embracing him as tightly as she could. “You don’t know how much this means to me.”

“It makes me happy, too.” Big Mac kissed her cheek tenderly, his chest expanding and contracting against hers. “You’re an amazing pony, you know that? Ah ain’t never seen such a beautiful mare in all my years.”

“Hold me,” she replied, tears of joy trickling down her face. “Hold me and don’t ever let go…”

“Ah wouldn’t dream of it.”

The two ponies locked eyes, running their hooves across each other’s necks. They locked lips in a passionate kiss, nothing else in the world mattering but the bond they shared. Their bodies entwined, Fluttershy beamed from ear to ear. She had never been this happy…

CRASH!

The bowl slipped from Fluttershy’s hooves, smashing into a thousand pieces on the floor. She groaned, reaching for a dustpan and brush as the daydream fizzled away into nothingness. I’m so pathetic, she cursed inwardly, shovelling the pieces into a waste bin. The events of the night before were still fresh in her mind as she carried on with her morning routine. Animals needed to be fed, whether or not she wanted to just lay in bed and imagine a better day.

Her feelings for Big Mac weren’t exactly new, but it wasn’t until the night before that she’d actually spoken to him alone. She’d always thought fondly of him, recognising his kindness and good-will, as well as his impressive physique. But any thoughts of being with him were cut short as she thought of how awkward things might get between herself and Applejack. Then there was the fact that if Big Mac could get practically any mare he wanted, why would he pick her? And yet, that moment outside Sugarcube Corner had changed something. Right now, what she wanted most was to be huddled up next to him. She wanted it so much; she thought her heart might burst.

With her pets fed, Fluttershy heard a knock at the door. Expecting the mail-pony, she put on a brave face and opened up. Just outside, Pinkie Pie was stood with a joyous expression on her face.

“Oh, hello Pinkie,” the pegasus greeted. “Can I help you with something?”

“Actually, I’m the one who’s going to help you,” Pinkie Pie said slyly, her grin expanding.

“Help me?” Fluttershy asked curiously. “What do I need help with?”

“I’ll tell you all about it!” she replied jubilantly. “As soon as we visit Sweet Apple Acres…”