• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 3,426 Views, 240 Comments

Pinkie The Match-Maker - Ficta_Scriptor



Fluttershy yearns for a family of her own but is too shy around stallions for her own good. When Pinkie Pie discovers that her friend has a crush on Big Mac, she makes it her mission to bring the two together whether they like it or not!

  • ...
18
 240
 3,426

Epilogue - Apple Family Reunion

Epilogue – Apple Family Reunion

Six years later

“Come an’ get it!” Applejack called over the cacophony of voices, pushing a decorated food cart through the center of the main seating area, the surrounding wooden benches lined up into two massive rows that stretched between the barn and the farmhouse. Members of the Apple family, as well as a few from the Pear and Orange families had packed themselves along, almost every seat taken. The bench-tables were covered with all manner of treats while Applejack kept her guests sated with new offerings, the particular food cart she now pushed out bearing an enormous, rectangular apple strudel, as well as a host of cinnamon buns, cream cakes and apple tarts. Ponies all around brought a momentary halt to their conversations, letting out cheers and hollers as they approached the cart, refilling their plates and offering thanks.

“Applejack, why don’t you take a breather?” Apple Fritter suggested. “You’ve barely gotten a chance to sit down. Red Gala and I can see to the last of the desserts.”

“Well thank ya kindly,” Applejack replied, wiping thick beads of sweat from her brow. “That’d be most appreciated.”

After grabbing herself a tankard of cider, Applejack made her way to the far end of the benches, letting her eyes wander. Fillies and colts were bouncing around on stacks of hay bales, laughing and chasing one another. Mares and stallions young and old talked animatedly, regaling cousins, uncles and aunts with various stories. Darn family keeps gettin’ bigger, Applejack mused.

“Yo, AJ!” Rainbow Dash called, swaying side to side and guzzling the last of her tankard. “Get your flank over here! Golden. Golden!” she said to the stallion sitting beside her. “You couldn’t get your wonderful darling a drink, could you?”

“Another?” Golden Delicious asked worriedly. “Haven’t you had enough?”

“Well then,” Rainbow Dash said with a melodramatic shrug. “I suppose you’ve had enough of something else.”

Golden Delicious rolled his eyes and smirked. “Alright, but you owe me.”

“You’ll get plenty!” Rainbow Dash said with a wink, playfully slapping her boyfriend on the flank as he got up, making space for Applejack.

“Rainbow,” Applejack said with an air of annoyance, her eyebrow twitching. “There’re foals present.”

“Ah, whatever,” Rainbow Dash said, shaking her head. “It’ll be fine. And can any of you blame me? His flank is golden and he sure is delicious.”

Applejack gave her friend a thump on the shoulder. “What did Ah just say? Ya know how embarrassin’ it is havin’ mah friends make fools o’ themselves in front of mah family?”

“Well who knows?” Rainbow Dash replied, rubbing her belly suggestively. “After tonight I might – hic! – become a part of your family after all!”

“Ew! D-don’t say stuff like that!” Applejack exclaimed, wincing. “What is it with you? Ain’t none of mah other friends actin’ like a… Rarity!” A few meters away on the next set of benches, the pearly white fashionista was practically sprawled out, swooning into the forelegs of two young stallions from the Pear family, stroking their chins and laughing haughtily as they drowned her in attention. “Rarity, Ah can see what you’re doin’ over there!”

Rarity waved back excitedly, beaming from ear to ear. “I can see you too, darling! Fabulous what you’ve done with your mane, by the way!” The mare promptly went back to giggling like a school-filly.

“Land sakes,” Applejack muttered. “Ah only invited her ‘cause y’all were comin’ too, and now look! Ain’t there a single one of mah friends who ain’t tryin’ to hook up with mah family!?”

“Don’t look at me,” Twilight said, hooves locked with a very sleepy-looking Octavia. “The thought never crossed my mind.”

“Oh, sorry Applejack,” Fluttershy said sheepishly.

“It ain’t you, Fluttershy,” Applejack replied, gesturing to the pegasus at her side.

“You know, that’s a good point,” Rainbow Dash thought aloud. “Your family’s so big, and there’s all these big, hunky – hic! – stallions around, so it’s like, what did you expect? But, but, but, it’s not a surprise Twilight’s the odd one out. Ask anyone, I’ve always said, out of the six of us, Twilight was the least likely to shack up with an Apple.”

“Guess that makes some sense,” Applejack said wearily. “Twilight’s always been a scholarly type, an’ us Apples tend to be more… wait, whadda ya mean, outta the six of us!?”

Fluttershy and Braeburn snorted into their drinks in unison, causing Rainbow Dash to break down into incessant giggles. Twilight had her jaw clenched and lips pressed tightly together to prevent herself from laughing while Applejack slumped onto the table with her head in her hoof.

“Um, can I just say,” Fluttershy began, trying to change the subject. “That you’ve done a wonderful job with this family reunion. You know Braeburn and I would’ve been more than happy to help.”

“Ya’ll don’t need to concern yourselves, what with the weddin’ bein’ only a couple months away. Ah’ll bet you’re up to your neck in forms an’ figurin’ out finances an’ such. But hey, next year ya can both have a crack at it.”

“Speaking of cracks,” Rainbow Dash interrupted with, having finally stopped laughing.

“Rainbow…” Applejack hissed, glowering furiously.

“No, no, not what I was gonna say.” Rainbow Dash pulled her head up and cleared her throat. “Fluttershy, you were saying you had trouble with – hic! – cracks in your walls. Golden was talking and he knows a guy who knows a guy who’d be willing to do some renovace… renomation… removate… he can help you out and won’t charge much, promise.”

“Well thank you kindly,” Braeburn said. “With the weddin’ comin’ up we’ve had nary a second to think about sortin’ the cottage.”

“And it just made me think,” Rainbow Dash continued, as if she hadn’t heard him, “about all the little critters you’ve got running around, clawing these holes in the wall, and I have – hic! – to ask, do your animals watch you two when you’re, you know, doing it?”

“That’s the last straw!” Applejack exclaimed, pounding on the table and startling some of the nearby guests. “Learn to behave yourself, will ya!?”

Rainbow Dash’s expression was blank and nonchalant. Fluttershy had turned a stark shade of crimson and was attempting to hide herself behind her mane. Braeburn peered off into the distance. Meanwhile, Twilight had huddled herself up to her half-sleeping wife, cheeks tensed and chest shaking as she did everything she could not to laugh.

There was a bout of silence for a short while until everyone tucked into the mounds of sugary food. Braeburn cleared his throat. “Well actually, some of ‘em have watched us.”

“Braeburn!” Fluttershy cried. “You don’t need to tell them that!”

“I knew it!” Rainbow Dash chimed in with, like a detective having uncovered some ancient mystery.

Twilight’s attempts at staying quiet broke down and she began laughing hysterically, clutching onto Octavia as if for dear life, tears streaming down her face with absolute, unfettered joy.

“What’s going on?” the sleepy mare remarked, emitting a yawn and coming to her senses. “Twilight, did you win at another board game, or something?”


“Course it ain’t too long now ‘til Applebloom finishes school,” Applejack explained. “She seems to be doin’ well, despite missin’ her old teacher.”

“I heard about that,” Fluttershy said sadly. “Applebloom and Cheerilee were really close.”

“Yup.” Applejack nodded pensively. “Mah darn sister scared the acorns outta me when she came home with the news. Ah ask how school was an’ she slumps down on the floor, starts cryin’, says ‘Miss Cheerilee ain’t no longer with us.’ Ah’m shocked, Ah pull her into a hug while she’s gettin’ all emotional, Ah go an’ put on a hotpot to make her feel better. Ain’t ‘til an hour later she says what she meant was Cheerilee was leavin’ her job an’ goin’ on tour with some darn guitar player! Ah was actually gettin’ panicked she’d passed away!”

“Dee Flat’s a pretty big name,” Rainbow Dash commented. “DIdn’t he used to – hic! – be one of Cheerilee’s classmates?”

“So Ah heard.” Applejack sighed and got to her hooves. “Well, it was fun talkin’ to y’all, but Ah’d better finish mah duties. Ain’t none of ya seen Mac around?”

“I think I saw him back at the farmhouse,” Golden Delicious replied.

“Alright. See y’all later.”

Applejack waved as she left her friends, trudging back up the path and gazing at the beautiful reddish orange sky, a smattering of cloud wisps glowing like hot coals. The festivities were winding down a little now, the roaring ruckus from earlier brought to a soothing murmur as tuckered out colts and fillies sat lazily after their time spent bounding around. There was still more to do before the cleanup though, and Applejack headed to the farmhouse in search of her brother, ready for the family toast. Passing through into the kitchen, Applejack was soon accosted by an unknown attacker placing their hooves over her eyes.

“Guess who!?”

“The great Duke of Flankfurt,” Applejack said mirthfully. “Hey, Pinkie. Wasn’t sure ya were still around. Havin’ a good time?”

“Oh, it’s been swell!” Pinkie replied jubilantly, clapping her hooves together. “Though I think I ate so many pies I might burst like a big balloon!”

“That’s… a horrifyin’ thought,” Applejack said. “Any chance ya know where Mac is? He’s s’posed to be lendin’ a hoof right about now.”

“He’ll be here real soon! He got caught by somepony from the Orange family while I escaped! Last I heard they were comparing apples with oranges, which I tried once, and my brain got stuck for hours.”

“Ain’t that the truth,” Applejack remarked. “Say, ya wanna try some of mah keepsake Eden cider? So long as ya don’t mention it to Rainbow Dash or it’ll suspiciously go missin’.”

“No thanks,” Pinkie said with a shrug.

“Oh, come on,” Applejack said, rooting around one of the cupboards. “Ya ain’t tried nothin’ like it, seriously, an’ Ah kinda owe ya for your help with everythin’.”

“Um… no thanks. I very much appreciate the offer, but I’ll go without.”

“Don’t go bein’ polite,” Applejack said, rolling her eyes and pulling an enormous jug filled with bubbling, golden liquid. “It’s a special occasion, Ah insist.”

“It’s fine, really,” Pinkie replied cheerfully. “But you go on ahead, Auntie Applejack. You deserve a treat!”

“Well okay, but some other time ya need to try it,” Applejack said, placing the jug back. “In fact we’ll have it for dinner some time, get you an’ Mac over, have a little more…” Applejack stopped in her tracks, her face frozen in absolute shock. “Did you… just call me Auntie Applejack?”

Pinkie smiled thoughtfully, her cheeks flushing red. “Yeah. I did.”

Applejack brought a hoof to her mouth, a tear trickling down each cheek. She rushed forward and locked her hooves around Pinkie’s neck. “Oh Pinkie! Ah’m so happy! Ah never even thought! Ah can’t believe it…” Applejack blubbered into Pinkie’s mane and emitted a faint chuckle. “Ah wasn’t ready for this.”

“I can understand that. I’d be pretty shocked, too.”

“Ya darn fruitcake,” Applejack said mirthfully, wiping at her eyes. “Ah can’t even imagine how ya feel. Darn it, where the hay is Mac!? Ah need to see him right now! Darn it, Ah can hardly believe he’s gonna be a daddy.”

“Mac?” Pinkie said, her face scrunched up in confusion. “Whoever said anything about Mac?”

Not a second later, Applebloom came cantering into the kitchen, hoof-in-hoof with Featherweight, both ponies beaming from ear to ear. “Applejack!” the filly cried jubilantly. “Me an’ Featherweight have the most excitin’ news!”

Applejack looked over to Applebloom. Then back to Pinkie. Then over to Applebloom. Then back to Pinkie. Then over to Applebloom. Then her head became light as a feather and she collapsed to the floor, a stream of froth bubbling from her mouth as her brain spun on repeat like a broken slot machine. There was only chaos and darkness stretching out forever and ever.

“Oh, Applebloom!” Pinkie exclaimed jubilantly. “You’ve got such great comedic timing!”

“Applejack?” Applebloom said worriedly as her sister convulsed on the floor. “What’s wrong? Darn it, Ah just wanted to say me an’ Featherweight won the talent contest.”

Big Mac wandered in, his face pulled into a frown as he regarded his sister laying spread eagle on the kitchen floor, muscles twitching, her eyes spinning. “Applejack? Ya alright?”

“She’ll be fine,” Pinkie remarked, granting the stallion a kiss on the lips. “Just give her five more minutes to recover. Or maybe twenty.” Sidling up to the stallion, Pinkie felt the warm embrace of her husband, a hoof cupping the tiny lifeform below her stomach, every bone in her body swelling with pride, waiting to spread the greatest news she’d ever known.

Author's Note:

Thank you ever so much for your support. I'm sorry it took so long for me to finish the story after I left it on a cliffhanger for over four years, but I'm hoping you enjoyed what I had to offer. This was one of the first fanfic ideas I ever had, and to see it completed gives me such a strange feeling. Thank you for staying along with the ride. I have another fanfic in the works that I'm planning to start uploading within a few months. Whether you stay or go, I'm just grateful you decided to stick with my story all this way. It was a pleasure.

Comments ( 15 )

I haven't read the story yet, but this story sounds like it needs a slice of life tag. Why doesn't it have one?

9843170
I wouldn't say a Slice of Life tag is needed, as while there are moments that might allude to such things they are all strictly in the name of the central theme. Plus considering the tone of the majority of the story... I don't think Slice of Life is a particularly good fit.

9841738
9839183

I'm so happy you've followed this story since back then. :pinkiesad2: Finally bringing it to a close after all this time, finishing my first ever novel-sized story, five years since I started, has made me exceptionally emotional. :raritycry: It's been a long, difficult road. If I've pleased you, I'm more than happy. :ajsmug:

This was a nice ending.

I love the little double fake at the ending. Pinkie gets you twice at the end.

The wait was worth it and I am glad to have gotten to see it.

9843825
9843235
Thank you both very much! :pinkiehappy: I'm happy at least a few people decided to stick around after all this time.

I know the epilogue is really short, and I was originally going to make it longer, but it felt like extending it would've just meant meaningless padding to a story that had already reached its climax.

9846866

I think it is about as long as you should want it to be. I think you got across all that needed to be said and it was entertaining as well so I think it is just right.

Great ending! None of those poor mares ends up alone, and in the end almost everyone develops a taste for apples!

Thanks so much for finishing this.

9850850
Thank you very much! :raritywink: Thanks for sticking with the story after all this time.

Full disclosure upfront, I only read until about halfway, but since I don't plan to continue it, I might as well comment about it now instead of never.

Don't get me wrong, this fic has all the ingredients to make for a fantastic read: spelling/grammar's good, the plot is top-notch, etc. My real gripe is actually with the pacing, like that sometimes it feels that there's not a lot happening in a lot of words. It's certainly not too descriptive, otherwise I would have abandoned this long before halfway, but there's just something about it that doesn't work for me. This might just be my personal preference and not anything wrong with the fic itself, because it's certainly not the only fic out there with this kind of pacing.

At the very least, of the part I read, I enjoyed the vast majority, so for people that enjoy a slower fic, this should be great read.

Nope, didn't liked the last two chapters ruined it for me...

There were a few times over the years that my mind wandered back to this story, wondering if it was going to be like so many other good stories that got going and then simply dropped off. I'm very glad to see that you came back to finish it and finish it so well.

I came to this story for FlutterMac.... and she ends up with Breaburn? its a good story don't get me wrong but.... what the buck

This is one of my favorite stories that I've read so far. :pinkiehappy: I went in expecting a decent Fluttermac story, and instead got an amazing romance drama. I was blindsided by the revelation after that party scene, and that got me hooked. All the slice of life scenes and jokes really add to the experience. :pinkiesmile:

I really love the way you write both Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, and I can totally see a ship between them working now. :yay: I was actually hoping Fluttershy and Mac wouldn't get together not too far in. :rainbowlaugh:

Props to you for coming back and finishing the story. :twilightsmile:

11740205
Thank you so much! Well... this is a surprise, seeing you give this early work of mine a read. Considering that for the longest time I was convinced I'd be giving up fanfiction writing for good, I'm happy I came back and finished this. I'm particularly proud of Love and War Part 3, as I think it's some of my best writing to date. I have to say though, I don't know if those early chapters hold up all too well. :twilightblush: I was an inexperienced writer at the time, and I think it shows. Still, I'm happy you enjoyed it so much.

Login or register to comment