• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 5,915 Views, 166 Comments

On the Line - TheBigBob



When Luna inhabits the dreams of a young filly in a coma, she takes it upon herself to save the child's life.

  • ...
5
 166
 5,915

Epilogue

In the nights following her adventure with Novella, Luna would return to the pony's dream orb. Luna never entered the orb; instead, she only checked on it to make sure that Novella was no longer having nightmares. Sure enough, each night, the orb shone pure white, indicating that whatever dream the pony was having, it was fun. After several days of this, the orb disappeared, only to be replaced by a different orb a few days later. Most likely, the pony had finally checked out of the hospital.

Celestia offered to help her sister locate Novella, but Luna decided that she should give the pony some space. For weeks, Luna hoped that one day she would be told she had a surprise visitor, but instead, life went on as normal in Canterlot. Luna soon settled back into her normal routine, though she found herself checking books out of the Canterlot archives much more often than she used to. Luna continued to visit colts and fillies in their nightmares, but she never was able to connect with any of them as well as she had with Novella.

Over time, Luna realized that Novella had been one of the few close friends she had made since she returned to Canterlot. Novella had thanked Luna for being the sole light of hope in an otherwise lonely existence, but Luna soon realized that aside from her sister Celestia, Luna also had few close friends. Over time, the princess made an effort to reach out to other ponies, sharing stories about Canterlot, magic, and the various books they had read. It wasn't long before Luna had several friends who she could count on in times of need. As the months went by, Luna thought of Novella less and less as her circle of friends grew, though she still hoped that the two of them would meet again someday.

However, one day, a small package arrived for Luna that she had never ordered. When the princess opened the box, she was surprised to find that there was a children's book inside titled, “When I go to Sleep.” The book had large pages with easy-to-read text, as well as lots of colorful illustrations for young readers. Luna wondered why this book had been sent to her, until she noticed the name of the author: a pony named Novella.

When I go to Sleep

When I go to sleep at night,

I always wonder what I will become.

When I go to sleep, I could be a pirate

Searching for treasure on the high seas,

Or I could be taking my pet elephant

Out on a walk by the beach.

Sometimes my dreams are embarrassing,

Like when I forget to turn in my homework.

Other times, I laugh and wake up when I realize

That I've been juggling pies at the circus.

However, some nights are really scary,

And I wake up hoping I'll never have to sleep again.

But soon I remember...

That it's okay for me to go to sleep.

Because when I go to sleep,

If I'm really lucky,

A friend will come to visit me in my dreams.

And then we can both have an adventure –

Together.

Comments ( 38 )

Personaly I'm not a big fan of this kind of the "explaining" writing style, but I'll admit it works decently for epilogues.

Nice to see this being completed much fun was had and much sitting on the edge was done.

// Sphex

I was hoping for a better ending but this will do i guess.

Dawwww.... That ending! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Good story what do you plan on writing next?

lovely ending, that!

I wish Luna and Novella see each other one day.

This was a sweet story, thanks for sharing. :twilightsmile:

That was the best ending you could have had for this! Great closer to a great story! Bravo! :twilightsmile:

3166253 I'm gonna be writing a book!

yay!!! Sequel?

3171702 Nope. Novella's fate is out of my hands now.

Fantastic job on this! :) Enjoyed it from beginning to end. :yay:

Omg, The FEELS- Its like a punch to the face... let me find that old gif- Here it is!mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-Feels-Gif.gif

D'aaww...
You hit me in the feels. And I admit that my eyes are a bit damp.

-C.Storm

This was a nice story, but I expected a bigger impact on Luna's own life. I like the ending though. Nice work.

Well, that was a nice story. I didn't see that twist coming!

I admit that when I read the first chapters so many months ago, I didn't expect much, but in the end, everything turned out just fine.

:yay:

Beautiful. Story was very decent and this ending satisfies me enough. (Kind of wish that it was longer, but hey, this is good enough.) :heart:

Hrnnnnngggg herk blarg!

Still an really good story!

VX

Goosebumps.

So many goosebumps.

Great story!

aw man, that was great!
tears to my eyes by the end.
thanks.

You, comrade... have made history. Never before have I cried of sorrow due to something I read. This was beautiful.
My face after reading this story, in order. it's over:rainbowhuh::fluttershysad::fluttercry::ajbemused::pinkiegasp::raritycry::raritydespair::twilightangry2::flutterrage:

3374284 Sad endings have their place, but I wanted Luna (and, by extension, the reader) to feel like she had accomplished something. Letting Novella die wouldn't have taught Luna anything aside from "life sucks", and let's face it, she already knew that.

Teared up at that ending. Good job

Quite a touching story! The twists caught me by legit surprise, and I enjoyed the interactions between Luna and Celestia. :pinkiesmile:

while it is well written it seems to indicate a low level of control from Luna over a spell she has had for years, it limits Luna's strength too much. As for her being an adult I think that she should have made one or two appearances, but not a major player as that is also a stage of her life

3683068 Actually, I wrote this story as if Luna had only had the spell for a few months (I imagine it taking place shortly after Sleepless in Ponyville). Neither Luna nor Celestia know a lot about the spell, and I thought that was reflected in the dialogue. Even so, this is the first time Luna has pushed the spell so far, so she doesn't know how to control it when her magic gets so weak.

3684996 My interpretation of the show was that it was an old power not some thing new, but since most people don't remember their dreams and because if they do it is garbled and they wouldn't recognize that Luna was actually their so her help went unappreciated.

Great story

3374284 that wood put this into dark and or tragedy sad is more on the lines of something that upsetting.

this right on the mark for sad and slide of life i can see a slice of life as a Sequel to this with key thing being wrightingers in the world, luner as in slice of life, the dream realm. :heart::heart::heart::heart: :fluttercry::fluttercry:

Oh god, I remember reading this such a long time ago...
...I, uh, cried. A lot. When Luna finds out the filly is actually a grown mare was the thing that killed me.
Also, just a little tip: Do not play sad music while reading this story. It's a bad idea.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

The writing needs a lot of work, but that premise is fantastic, and the twist kept me reading. I figured it out in chapter 6, and I enjoyed watching the pieces fall into place. :)

This was amazing.

That was an extremely sweet story really took it for a Twist at the end I enjoyed it very much

Login or register to comment