• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 8,709 Views, 1,356 Comments

The Winds of Change: Fog of War - AgentSnail



The Griffin war continues, and Dash and Jason are thrust back into action. But with new Griffin threats looming, will they be able to win the war with the same efficiency and skill as they did in the liberation of Canterlot

  • ...
44
 1,356
 8,709

PreviousChapters Next
Making Things Official

Making Things Official

Dash awoke with a start, turning over in the bed in a small amount of horror until she saw Jason and calmed down. She could've probably just felt the hooves around her, but she hadn't exactly been thinking straight. Yesterday almost felt like it hadn't happened, and she'd been a little worried that maybe it actually hadn't. Thus, the slight freak out and dread that had already ebbed away to a quiet contentment, only heightened by the fact that she hadn't woken up Jason.

It was funny, for all the complaining that they had done. If she'd known that she'd feel this safe, with hardly a need or adverse emotion from the beginning, well, she probably would've just kept her mouth shut. Somehow things just felt like they were right. Sure, there were two more things to take on, but that was their jurisdiction, in all probability. They could call the shots, and somehow she didn't feel scared or angry when she thought about that. Maybe a little annoyed, but it felt different from before.

With the griffins, things hadn't really been expected. She'd hardly thought when she woke up one day that she would end up the commanding officer of... a lot. Dash raised a hoof into the air, staring at it thoughtfully. If she had fingers, she could probably hold out the equivalent number to their spot in the chain of command and have at least a few left over. It was too bad that Jason couldn't get fingers on her the way he could get a horn, she would've liked the chance to give them a whirl.

In any case, the stuff he could do now was way more than she had ever really expected. That wasn't to say she had low expectations, but it almost seemed like he could do anything he set his mind on now. Sometimes he hardly even blinked an eye. She would hate to be fighting for the other team, in all honesty.

But then again, he wouldn't be much of a threat at that point, without all the love to use. Even beyond that, they really did make a good team, despite whatever she'd said two days ago. She just had to make sure that whatever crap he got himself into, she was dragged along as well. As long as they stood together, Dash was sure that nothing could possibly beat them.

Beyond that, they had their squad from Team Green Bean and Morning, and for once she almost felt like bursting out laughing over just how much they had in their favor. They had an army behind them if they so chose to use it, filled with veterans from one of the few Equestrian military conflicts.

Dash rolled onto her side, pushing her back gently into Jason's stomach. His hooves wrapped around her a little more tightly as he let out a murmur of something or other, his head turning as some dream swirled around in his head.

She glanced at the bedside table, a small clock proudly displaying the time with its hands as a little past seven. She could assume that much, seeing as the sky was shining with bands and ribbons of yellow. But she didn't feel tired, she just felt that gentle happiness. It was probably something akin to what she should have been feeling over the last few months, had there not been any fighting.

Or maybe not, maybe she was feeling so at ease right now because of what she'd gone through. She could fight anypony hoof to hoof and win, and by Jason's words even him. Or at the very least, have the odds on her side. And the relief that flowed through her body at their recent good fortune to follow up all of the bad stuff.

Dash's thoughts began to wander into more mundane topics, as she tried to imagine what Jason would look like in a tux. Or what she would look like in a bridal gown. Both ideas, well maybe the latter more than the former anyway, seemed somewhat surreal. By the end of today she would have a mate for life, and while part of her screamed out to worry, she just couldn't find a reason to. Maybe they would get into fights and yell, and maybe that would result in a little more destruction than with a normal couple. But they just seemed to have more substance there, that all of the fighting had formed a stronger bond.

Either way, she was finding it hard to continue to lay in bed, with all of the energy that had started tingling through her limbs. She turned over once again, putting her arms around Jason and giving him a squeeze. Dash leaned forwards, nuzzling against his still furry cheek as she hummed some old song that they'd played a long time ago.

It was those gentle notes that lured Jason from the retreat of sleep, his eyes opening and focusing onto hers. He yawned, leaning back as canines he'd kept glimmered in the light. It made her a little jealous sometimes, to see all of the stuff he could do now that he understood how. But then again, she could just ask. Dash grinned.

"What's got you so happy?" Jason asked, studying her with those shiny green eyes.

"Just stuff, I guess." She responded.

"Are you nervous?" He inquired, his eyes flicking away.

She shrugged. "I probably should be, but I'm not. You?"

Jason tapped his hooves together a few times, his face the embodiment of nervousness. "A little."

"How come?" Dash asked, barely covering a giggle. "Am I not good enough for you?"

The changeling let out a nervous chuckle, putting a hoof to her cheek. "You know that's not it." He paused. "I just- it's a big thing, and- I dunno, part of me wants to make sure that everyone that we need to kill is taken care of." His eyes left hers and he sighed.

"What difference does it make?" Dash asked. "I've been thinking of us as basically husband and wife anyways, the fact that we make it official isn't going to change who we have to fight and when. Even the fact that we'll be married doesn't change that much, we'll still be just as torn up if one or the other of us doesn't make it."

"Yeah..." Jason replied, letting his head slump into her shoulder. Neither of them talked for a while, and before Dash made another move, he was asleep again. She giggled and rolled out of his grasp, figuring that there were better things she could do, rather than lay around.

So naturally, her eyes gravitated towards Jason's computer. It'd been a while.

Dash pulled the computer out of the saddlebag, setting it on the floor and laying on her stomach in front of the screen. Her hoof tapped the track pad and the screen lit up, the need for a password becoming evident. Dash sighed, letting her forehead fall to the floor.

It took her three tries to punch in 'Scootaloo', a password that she was sure had been different from the initial one. It would probably be easy for somepony to get into her computer as she'd just shown, but he'd probably done it for the gesture anyway. It's not as if he had to worry about a pony actually realizing what a computer did if they got the password.

Even she hardly knew what things did. The screen was covered in little folders and photos, pictures of cute little cups on paper... It was weird and foreign, but she kinda liked it. The colors that were vibrant in their own way, with shading that seemed obsessive. The background picture was pretty though.

Dash stared at all of the little emblems for a while before she ended up deciding on a new one, a little sideways 'L' thing. A grey rectangle popped up a moment later and Dash jumped slightly. The screen filled with a new window, which after a few seconds of reading she had figured out to be full of games. At least she knew that they'd never run out of things to play.

The mare glanced over her shoulder, wondering for a moment where Jason had put the computer that he said was hers. Ah well, she was already here. And so she browsed the rather short list of games, deciding on one that piqued her interest: Roller Coaster Tycoon.

______________________________________________

"AAAAAAAHHHHH!"

"Shutup game!" Dash whisper-yelled at the computer screen, as the weird looking people yelled again. Jason rolled over, murmuring something. She didn't particularly want to wake him again, seeing as he was obviously tired enough.

A low, guttural yell left a child, and Dash sneered. "You've sealed your fate, tiny insignificant people!" She scrolled away on the map, giggling to herself as she built a coaster that ended facing straight down the path. The thing crawled up a hill, before accelerating and smashing through a way overcrowded area as Dash laughed maniacally.

"Dash, what are you doing?" Jason asked, making her face turn a bright crimson. "Who are you talking to?"

"Uh." She paused. "The tiny insignificant coaster people?"

"Discovered my computer?" He asked.

"A little."

Jason let out a grunt as he got up, slowly walking over to Dash. "You know, there's a button that controls the sound right here." He said, tapping on it a few times.

"Wait, you heard all of that?" Her face somehow turned a deeper shade of red.

"Most of it. I used to do what you're doing too, you know. I had a childhood."

"Great, I thought I was being clever with this."

"Well technically you came up with the idea yourself..."

"Yeah, I guess..." She sighed, trying to will away her blush. "We should probably get ready, find Rarity and get suited up and all that. Pun intended."

Jason chuckled, letting one of his hooves revert to normal and holding it up to the light. "I swear I'm starting to turn grey."

"You're probably just going to shed again." Dash replied, waving a hoof dismissively. "Besides, wearing a black tux won't look as weird."

"Yeah... guess I never thought about that."

"Well if you're still nervous, feel free to think about what we'll be doing tonight... and tomorrow, come to think of it."

Jason's face reddened up only slightly, and as soon as Dash smirked he leaned forward and kissed her. The two hugged around one another, as Jason took a funny step and they both toppled to the ground. Neither seemed to care, small pains of no notice to them when there were much better distractions. Dash pulled away some time later, taking some quick breaths as Jason repositioned to nip at one of her ears, drawing the corner into his mouth as she let out a cute coo of enjoyment, pulling him tighter against herself.

"I never thought I'd consider being late for my own wedding." She panted, pushing Jason off her ear only to pull him into another kiss. "I also never thought I could make such a big decision with no doubt in my mind."

"I love you Dash." Jason whispered into her ear, following with some more explicit sentences. Dash's blush deepened again, as she wiggled herself around impatiently.

"You can't just leave me feeling normal, huh. It's always got to be some sort of ploy to get sex."

"I wouldn't try if it didn't always work." He replied with a chuckle. "Besides, you're the one that usually plays with my emotions."

"Who said that?!" She asked, laughing. "You're the one with the teasing, I just up and say stuff. I mean, we're practically husband and wife, what's even the point?"

"To see how far I can push things." Jason responded with a chuckle. "Besides, it makes things last longer."

"Fine, whatever." Dash replied, shaking her head with a grin. "I'll go get Scoots, I guess." She said, turning around and trotting out of the room. Jason sighed happily and picked up his computer, folding it up and stowing it back in his saddlebag. Dash entered a moment later, waving a piece of paper around. "This may not bode well."

"What?" He asked, taking the note as she handed it over.

If you find this, I've left a little early. I can't tell you why, because that would ruin the surprise. But let's just say that I've needed to employ a little help to make sure I didn't hurt anypony. These things could really put a damper on sompony's day. But magic is too mainstream, so I'll just be doing something magic can do, but better. You two may not have viewed this as an opportunity to compete against Shining's wedding, but I think that it needs to have that one thing that makes it awesome. Besides the two ponies getting married, that is.

P.S. I didn't know if I should buy a gift for the wedding, cuz Rumble said that was something you did and Sweetie said the opposite, so think of this as a gift. Hopefully it'll be as cool as it was on paper.

"So... She's got help at least, right?" Dash asked, looking worried.

"Yeah..." Jason replied, skimming the letter again. "But those four are growing up, they've been a lot more successful with just about everything. Maybe they'll never figure out their cutie marks on their own, but I'm starting to think that whatever those four end up doing with their lives, that they've really assembled quite the team. It could have been Rumble that balanced out what they already had, or I guess it could have been them growing up." Jason sighed, looking away. "I- when we have this foal, you've got to remind me not to miss their youth."

"It's kinda depressing, huh? I know Scoots'll still be living with us, but she's gone so far from that little filly in the woods or the leader of my fan club. I just wish I was here for more of that."

Jason put his arms around the mare, drawing her into a gentle hug as the two stayed silent, simply thinking. A grin broke out on his face, a poke from Dash letting him know that she wanted to be in on whatever he was thinking. He moved her a little ways away to look her in the eyes, stroking a hoof down that magnificent mane of hers.

"I was just thinking about what we've done for her, and how important she's become. She wanted somepony to get her off the street and love her, and I guess that's what she got. I know it isn't the optimal setting for her or for us, but as far as kids go, she's pretty much the dream child. I just feel like there's something we have as a family that makes us stronger, no matter the amount of time we're stuck apart."

He went silent again, the silence continuing for a while before he took a breath and started anew. "You know how you're always asking if I like it better here, or on earth?" Dash nodded into his shoulder, not making a sound. "Well with all of the crap we've had to take to get here, it sure feels like it was all worth it. I have a beautiful daughter and a bride to-be that I love more than life itself..." He trailed off. "And unlike before, I have a little peace to enjoy it."

"You know what?" Dash asked, letting a giggle past her lips. "I woke up this morning thinking exactly that."

"It's a good feeling, huh?"

"Yeah."

More silence.

"Think I could beat you to Sugarcube corner?" Dash asked, excitement creeping into her voice. "Could be the last time for a while we get to fly..."

"Depends on if I get to use magic or not."

"I'm not sure I like the idea that you can fly faster then me when you want to." She said, regarding him with a look that was still playful.

"Well hey, I'm not going to take the title from you. 'Sides, you already went faster when I slowed down time." He murmured, putting a hoof to her cheek as he leaned forwards and kissed her. They both sank in, as Jason quickly pulled back and dove out the window. "Head start!" He yelled back, as she grinned and wiped a hoof across her lips, spreading her wings and launching herself after him.

______________________________________________________

*PIFF*

*THUD*

Rarity took a step back, surprise written all over her face as Dash and Jason skidded across the ground, coming to a halt at her feet at the end of a long skid mark of squished grass.

"Today?! You can't stop horsing around for one day?!" The fashionista yelled, as Dash got up and grinned.

"It's just a little bit of a grass stain and some dew, it'll be covered up by the dress anyway." She said, as Rarity let out several sounds of annoyance. The blue mare looked back and sighed, taking a few steps back to pull Jason upright. He had been descending a little faster when he'd hit, not that it wasn't because of a maneuver that he had attempted much too close to the ground.

"You okay?" She asked, as he shook his head around.

"I think so." He replied, spreading his wings and checking himself over. "Yeah, no cuts or anything."

"Darling, have you ever thought about getting any of those scars fixed?" Rarity asked, holding open the door and ushering them inside.

"No, not really." Jason replied. "They're kinda like physical memories, and I don't really want to forget how I got them. I suppose it would have been nice if I kept any of my hu-" He cut off. "Any of the scars I had before, but those all healed."

"Well if you happen to change your mind, the spa does something for just such a thing. Granted, it may need to be... on a much higher scale, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the result." She turned her attention to Dash, moving a step closer. "And you and I, Dash, have a lot of getting ready to do." Rarity said excitedly, whisking the mare away. "I'll be back in a few minutes to make sure everything is in order with your clothes, Jason, so make yourself comfortable!"

"You better not think you're changing much with me, Rarity!" Dash yelled, as she was pulled back out the door and away."

Jason allowed himself to look around, finding pretty much the entirety of his friends. He walked over, sitting down at a large circular table. Tank walked by, giving Jason a heavy slap on the back followed by a congratulation. Morning giggled at the stallion's behavior, before murmuring a similar line.

"Any of you know what I should expect from Pinkie?"

They all shook their heads, but Evening suddenly spoke up. "You mean in terms of the party?! I hope she has alcohol, because I really l-" Lyra grabbed Evening and put a goof over her mouth, effectively shutting the disguised mare up. Lyra's face was covered in red, a little seeming to seep onto Evening's face.

"She likes cider." The aquamarine mare said simply, letting the mare go. "She's a real lightweight though, heh."

"How do ya know Eve, Jason?" Big Mac asked, pointing to Evening. Somehow he expected better than that, really.

"I met her during the war." He replied, not needing to make a face to show his annoyance. She felt it anyway. "Why?"

"No reason."

"Hey Applejack." Jason began, turning attention away from the others. "Speaking of booze, I have something for you. Figured it anyone would appreciate it, it'd be you." He reached into his saddlebag, on the side that he luckily hadn't landed on, pulling out a beer and sliding it across the table. The mare picked it up, staring at the bottle in confusion.

"Ya tryin' ta imply that Ah'm an alcoholic?" She asked, chuckling to herself. "What is it?"

"It's called beer, made from something called hops. Anyway, it's way heavier than what you ponies have, and it's kinda bitter, but I used to really like it." He sighed. "It's an acquired taste, but I dunno, you might like it."

"Did Dash?" She asked, and Jason laughed.

"No, she tried to act like it was good but she hated it. Just to warn you though, that's probably a good six glasses of cider in terms of alcohol that you're holding. Maybe more, but I guess it's not the lowest content beer out there."

"Ah don't want ta sound rude, but was everypony where you came from an drunkard?"

"From beer? No, not usually. That's like seven percent alcohol, but things go up to like sixty for shots." Someone gasped. "Everyone has a high tolerance for it though, compared to you. A small female might be able to match most of you people on the first day of drinking. Or not, but it's probably close."

"Ah..." She trailed off, sliding the bottle around on the table between her fore hooves.

"So how's it feel? Getting married, I mean?" Fluttershy of all ponies asked, a blush showing on her face. "I- I don't really have a special somepony at the moment, so maybe it doesn't matter anyway, but I guess I was just-"

"Fluttershy, it's no big deal." Jason confirmed, chuckling a little at the fact that he could tell what the rest of them were feeling, yet not really himself. "I guess- I'm kinda nervous, but I know I'm doing the right thing here. And yet I'm pretty excited, even though this doesn't really change that much. Maybe that's underplaying things, but it's really just putting into writing what's already there." He leaned back on his chair, wishing for a moment that he was already halfway through the ceremony. "That's probably why I didn't want anything crazy."

"Yet you employed Pinkie." Twilight said with a giggle.

"I don't even think that's the biggest possible problem." Jason continued, slightly glad that Pinkie wasn't here. He wasn't really insulting her, but she might misinterpret that. "Pinkie's parties are predictably insane, I just asked her to tone that down a little. Anyway, the Crusaders have something planned, and that's not good. Or maybe it is, they've been more successful when it comes to things more recently."

"You seem rather trusting of them." Another voice said, as the other ponies either bowed or saluted. Jason turned to look behind himself, grinning as Celestia entered his vision.

"Hey Celestia." He said, watching Twilight's face screw up a little in the corner of his eye. It was fun, messing with her. "You here for the wedding?"

"Why else would I be here?" She asked with a grin, gesturing for the other ponies to stop bowing.

"To tell me that there's a secret crazy mission to go on?"

"From what I hear, you're in a holding pattern right now anyway." The princess replied, sitting down in a chair that was much too small for her. "And by the way, I wouldn't dare miss this. It may not involve a princess, but it's still important in my book."

"Good to hear." Jason replied, grinning.

"Just in case you didn't know, Shining Armor and Cadance will be arriving as well, along with some friends of yours that the general happened to meet in Canterlot."

"Sky and Star?"

"I...think those may have been their names, but I was never able to meet them in person."

"Yeah, it's been a while." Jason replied, getting a distant look in his eyes.

"So where's the bride?"

"Rarity took her off somewhere, to do whatever it is she does to ponies to make them look pretty. Honestly, I would generally think that makeup or... whatever you put on fur would kinda just look dumb, but I'm not really sure what the drill is."

"I can't really help you too much." Celestia replied with a slight grin. "It's been too long, things have changed just a little too much when it comes to a lot of things like fashion and so on."

"I can imagine." He said, as they lapsed into a small silence.

"So how are you, my student?" She asked, turning to the purple mare that was still a ways across the room.

"Good, princess."

Celestia put a hoof to her forehead. "Twilight, just call me Celestia. It's not as if I haven't known you all for long enough anyway. The only one that seems okay with doing stuff like that is Jason, and sometimes Rainbow Dash."

"Alright, I'll... make an effort?"

The bell on the door jingled as Eravel entered, throwing a casual wave towards the princess before he pulled up a chair next to Jason. "You know a lot of ponies." He said, looking around at the group. Big Mac looked rather uncomfortable. "I'm Eravel, by the way. You can trust me." He paused. "That sounded kinda dumb, but it's not untrue." The griffin paused, grating his beak together. "So, no bachelor's party?"

Jason laughed. "No, I didn't really have the time for one anyway. And I didn't care all that much either."

"Jason, what happened those few days away?" Twilight asked. "How'd you run out of love so fast?"

The changeling leaned back in his chair, letting out a sigh. "I broke my horn and had to heal from the lightning, and as much as you may all think that healing quickly is great, it's not that much fun when you can't keep it from using up what you have to live off of." Jason trailed off, looking at the princess instead. "But they have oil down there, you should get some ponies right on that."

"I am aware, Eravel flew into Canterlot late last night and told me. I hear that it's something important?"

"Yeah, just about everything has petroleum products involved at some point in production. But just so you know now, with this small of a population and a whole planet to use, you're not going to have to worry about running out. Where I come from, there're billions of people, and we just keep discovering new oil deposits, and ways to get more out of the old ones. And solar is generally a waste of time compared to hydroelectric and nuclear."

Celestia chuckled, nodding her head. "I've actually tasked a fair number of ponies on repurposing a dam to provide more than mechanical power. As of yesterday they got a turbine to move and a little lightbulb to power on. They used magnetism or something, it's rather strange." Another giggle. "I'm getting too old for this job."

"If they ever get a pony with an idea to alternate the current, he's right by the way. DC isn't efficient." Jason explained, twiddling his hooves as the door opened once again.

"There's my favorite general!" Shining yelled with a laugh, trotting across the floor and colliding with Jason as the stallion threw his arms around the changeling.

"Long time no see, buddy!" Jason replied, managing to free one of his hooves to hug back.

"Should I be worried, Shining?" Cadance asked with a smirk, as her husband only grinned back, letting Jason go.

"Maybe if Dash were here." He looked around. "So where's the bride-to-be?"

"Rarity took her away. I'm just kinda worried that she'll go overboard with makeup or something, and seeing as Dash never really does anything like that, not that it bothers me, it would just distract."

"I'm sure that she'll do fine." Cadance said, smiling reassuringly. "She's talented at what she does."

"Yeah..." Jason trailed off, a pang of nervousness running through his gut.

"I don't really want to bring military stuff into the spotlight, but I don't know when I'll see you again after this..." Shining began, his ears pining back as his wife gave him a look.

"It's alright, if you want positioning for stuff in peacetime then I'll try to send you something soon." A grin broke across his face. "Also, build a military building outside of Canterlot, like a giant thing. Design it so that from above, it looks like a hexagon. Call it the Hexagon. Make plans for every form of military action conceivable against every enemy. And when we get the technology, outfit that and the castle with big artillery guns. Or missiles."

"Did you just make that up?" Morning asked, looking away from Tank.

Jason looked around shiftily. "Most of it..." He trailed off. "A lot of warfare is shock and awe, you know."

"Well I suppose if you end up needing to fight again, it'll be on your terms." Celestia said, as Jason grinned back.

_____________________________________________________

"Mmmmmm..."

"What is it now, Rarity?" Dash asked, amusement absent from her voice.

"Oh, nothing, I just-" She put a hoof to her chin, tilting her head sideways. "I really think you should let me do your face."

"I don't need makeup." Dash responded. "I've never worn it before, and I don't need it now."

"It'd only be a little blush, darling, nothing crazy."

"Jason won't like it." Came her simple rebuttal. "I won't like it either."

"You know, just once I'd like you to have a feminine side Dash."

"Hey, I am the one who got a coltfriend because of that attitude." The blue mare said with a laugh. "And you told me to act like you. Pfft." Another chuckle. "Ow!" She yelled, rubbing at her shoulder where she was sure Rarity had poked her with that needle on purpose.

"Let's focus on the task at hand, shall we?" The fashionista said, carefully cutting a loose thread with some scissors.

"Fine. When do I get to see Jason again?"

"Dear, you aren't supposed to until the wedding begins."

Dash let out a long groan, throwing her head backwards melodramatically. "Why couldn't we just do this in a half hour?"

"Oh, Dash, you know you'll want to look back on something bigger than that. It may not mean as much as it should to you, but I'm sure it will later." The mare stepped away, admiring her work. "Now stay here, I've got to get the bridesmaids, and then as soon as I'm done with that, I've got to get Jason. Then maybe you'll get your peek, alright?"

"Just don't take too long, you're starting to make me a little nervous." Dash said as the other mare put her hoof to the door, the former shifting on her hooves.

"I won't, darling. Also, don't sit down in that dress. You can probably lay down on your stomach if you're careful, but problems with my handiwork will just take more time to fix!"

"Do I at least get somepony to talk to?!" Dash yelled as the door closed behind Rarity.

There was a long silence as the mare tried to figure out how laying down worked in a dress that clearly had some sort of structure to it. Most dresses had things like that, to keep them from slipping to one side or another or something of the sort, but now that she was actually feeling a little tired, sensibility didn't mean too much to her.

The door opened again, and Rarity peeked inside. "As it turns out, I found some company." The door closed once again and Dash sighed, unsure whether to think that it had been a joke or not.

"So, I heard you broke your record for speed, that right?" A voice asked, as the door began to be pushed open. Dash felt the fur along her neck stand on end. Spitfire walked in, grinning across the room at the dressed up mare.

Dash furrowed her brow, cocking her head to one side. "Why're you here?" She kinda expected to be more excited than she was now, but it was probably just the nervousness again.

"For the wedding, of course." The mare replied, looking somewhat strange without her Wonderbolts uniform on. "I brought Soarin' too, but he just seemed all grumbly this morning. So he's out there buying a bunch of food."

"I'm not really that important though, I don't see why-"

"Hey, listen. I wanted to thank you for everything you've done. Same with your colt friend, but I'll have to tell him in person."

"You don't need to thank-" Dash began again, before she was cut off.

"I also want to apologize. Look, you're arguably one of the best flyers. You've proved that time and again, and I guess I'm sorry I never recruited you. Maybe now you don't care, or realistically couldn't be on the team even if you had the opportunity. But if you want to do a show with us some time, I'd love to have you. And before you ask, if you need Jason for that act, feel free to extend my invitation."

Dash didn't respond immediately, only staring at the fiery mare in disbelief. A smile broke out on her face, yet she didn't really know how to act with the dress on her like it was. "Thanks!" She yelled, beginning to giggle. "I- oh, wait until I tell Jason, he'll be so happy for me!"

"Just- Dash." Spitfire began again, grabbing the mare's attention.

"Yeah?"

"Try not to make the rest of the team look bad, aright?" She asked, watching the grin reappear stronger than before on Dash's face. "I'll be in touch- wait." She pulled a package from her saddlebag, leaving it on a little table. "Think of that as a wedding gift. Don't open it until you're free though, I don't think it would be as cool."

Dasd looked at the box, then back at the mare. "I never thought one day could possibly be this awesome."

_______________________________________________________

"I think you're ready to go." Rarity said, scraping her hoof gently at what turned out to be a scar. "How does it feel to get married to some pony, Jason?"

"Like I never woke up this morning."

"Well if this is all a dream, I hope you never have to wake up."

"I wish it didn't sound that corny." He replied with a sigh, shifting around in the tux. It felt weird, sliding around against his once again showing chitin. But from a seamstress that only dealt with fur, he couldn't complain. At least his wings had places to fit through the fabric on his back, and were mostly comfortable at his sides. It seemed that the feathered wings served more purposes than one. What he'd transposed onto his back as a way to fly faster and make Dash happy had turned into a way to hold a ring.

"You think everything will go alright?" He asked.

"After all that you've been through, it better."

"Yeah, I hope you're right about this."

___________________________________________________________

Music played, as the gelatin of nervousness finally solidified into a good-sized brick inside Jason's stomach. His eyes looked for something to stare at, and everywhere they wandered he only found perfection. Pinkie had done a perfect job, everywhere from setup of the stage to the pews that looked rather ornate, all the way to the atmosphere itself. Things were accented by clouds built into the construction, as a gently overcast, almost picturesque sky hung overhead.

Jason's eyes found a new target, in the form of Dash walking slowly down the isle. Some part of his brain noticed the crowd, a number of ponies that he'd never really expected to show up, rise. Another part of him felt bad for her. He didn't know the drill in marriages around here, but it had usually been customary for the father of the bride to escort her. As Jason regained his focus Dash was in front of him, and her eyes seemed to monopolize his vision.

Cadance smiled at the two of them, as Jason took one of Dash's hooves in his own.

"I know that you two didn't want to keep with all of the frills, so I'll give you the slightly shorter version." A few laughs came from the crowd, before she cracked open a small book and began to read. "Today you enter as individuals, but you will leave here as husband and wife, blending your lives, expanding your family ties, and embarking upon the grandest adventure of pony interaction. The story of your life together is still yours to write. All those present have come to witness and celebrate your love and commitment this day - eager to a part of the story not yet told."

"Love should have no other desire but to fulfill itself. But if your love and needs must have desires, let these be your desires: To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To know the pain of too much tenderness. To be wounded by your own understanding of love; And to bleed willingly and joyfully. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving; To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy; To return home at eventide with gratitude; Then to sleep with a vision of the beloved in your heart and a song of love on your lips."

She paused, looking to Jason. "So do you, Jason, take Rainbow Dash to be your wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?"

"I do."

"And do you, Rainbow Dash, take Jason to be your husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?"

"I- yes, of course." She said, blushing at the slight screw-up.

"You have for each other a golden ring." The princess said, gesturing to the pillow where Rumble had set it. "This most precious of metals symbolizes that love is the most precious element in your life together. The ring has no beginning and no ending, which symbolizes that the love between you will never cease. You place these rings upon each others feathers as a visible sign of the vows which, this day, have made you husband and wife." Jason took his, sliding it onto Dash's other wing before waiting for her to reciprocate the action.

"And finally, if there are any objections to these two ponies getting married, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Silence. Dash counted her blessings.

"And now, by the power vested in me by the State of Idaho-" She cut out. "Really couldn't help yourself, huh Jason?" Another pause, as the audience calmed from a slight wave of laughs. "Without further ado, I hereby pronounce you husband and wife."

Cadance sighed happily, as a few rockets sailed up in broad daylight, and Jason realized Scoots' plan. May as well make sure they aren't premature, he thought, beginning to lean forwards.

"You may now kiss the bride."

Author's Note:

Aaaaaaaaaand that's the end! I'm not sure if I should be happy or not, but hopefully this one allowed for more closure than the last ending. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but obviously I'll have to make another sequel either way. For those of you that are wondering when that'll come out, I'll be posting a blog entry a week before I release it. I'm not really sure how you get those notifications, if you need to follow me or whatever, but I wouldn't mind a few more watchers.

As for why this took so long, a lot of it was that speech by Cadance. I can rite good if I try.

Alright people, you guys that have nothing to say or whatever keeps you from writing comments. This is the last chapter of a story that's over three hundred thousand words. I've written more than half a million in the series. So please, leave a review of the entire second part, what you liked, what you didn't (but let's be realistic here, what's not to like?), and all that good stuff. Ideas for what will happen later, speculations or tips on what to do, it doesn't matter to me. I haven't gotten a lot of feedback lately, or what seems like activity at all, and I guess I'd like to have this go out with as much of a bang if it can. It'd mean a lot, whether you people think it does or not.

But thanks, all of you, for sticking around. I wouldn't have had the drive to get this far if it weren't for the constant praise and ideas, the jokes and corrections. I may not have ended this with a giant chunk of the population behind me, but I've definitely ended up with a group of people that I'm proud to say I attracted, and kept enthralled. So thanks again, for pushing me through an odyssey that's been almost a year in development.

Oh yeah, the reason I have a crappy schedule isn't actually because of silly things like school, I'm actually just Batman. Woah, plot twist.

PreviousChapters Next