• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 8,698 Views, 1,356 Comments

The Winds of Change: Fog of War - AgentSnail



The Griffin war continues, and Dash and Jason are thrust back into action. But with new Griffin threats looming, will they be able to win the war with the same efficiency and skill as they did in the liberation of Canterlot

  • ...
44
 1,356
 8,698

PreviousChapters Next
"Yes!! I told you!"

"Yes!! I told you!"

Jason felt his eyes sting, more moisture appearing as he looked up at the mare he'd never really expected to see so soon.

"Well, whenever you're ready." Dash said, urging him on and looking like she was trying to keep herself from breaking down into tears as well.

"I-" He stopped, his brain stumbling over the words. "When I woke up I-I- everything hurt, I couldn't hardly move. I started to heal, but just when things were starting to get better I j-just kept feeling hungrier. I k-knew after the first day that I wasn't going to s-s-survive at the rate I was g-going. H-hunger isn't like it is for you. After a-a while it gets so all-consuming, it starts to take over my b-brain. On top of that I kinda freaked out when I realized that I still can't see color out of my l-left eye. Anyway, Eravel b-brought me into the center of a zebra village and toted up the fact that I had moved the rainc-c-clouds. I got this rush of love, a-and it f-felt like- I can't really explain it, but like a meal after not eating f-for days."

Dash nodded, gesturing for him to continue.

"T-they wanted to celebrate, and they started h-handing out all of these lotus flowers. I knew there was something up with them, but I d-didn't know what it was, and I didn't w-want t-to piss off the zebras keeping me alive by not eating it." Jason stopped, letting out a rather loud sob as he tried to continue. "And that's where things went downhill." He choked out, another tear hitting the cloud with a soft 'plat'.

Dash only stared, her eyes staying red and puffy.

"I don't remember much after that, besides a bunch of colors in the following few seconds. The next morning I woke up in bed with a zebra, and I couldn't- I didn't r-remember anything t-t-that I should have. I asked her what had happened, and she only remembered that we had k-kissed." Jason choked back a sob, his eyes watching Eravel in the distance as the griffin approached. "And that I kept calling her Dash, over and over again."

"Really?" Dash asked, sounding slightly hopeful as Jason nodded his head.

"I was- oh jeez, he told you?" Eravel asked, hovering next to the cloud.

"Eravel, just go away." Jason murmured, the griffin taking on a confused look.

"Look, when this happened I told you that I wouldn't let your relationship end this way, and I won't. Dash, do you want to know what happened after the night he doesn't remember?"

"Do you know if he cheated?" She asked.

"No, but I know he was telling the truth about not knowing. He said that the Zebra, well..."

"Checked herself." Jason filled in.

"Yeah, that. And by that logic, he didn't. But even after all that, the lack of much of a reason to think that he hadn't done any of that, a combination of the drug and his guilt didn't really bode well."

"What happened?" Another inquiry came, her face suddenly full of worry.

"I-" Jason began, his voice cracking as he sat up and pulled the blanket around himself tighter. "I k-kept seeing you and Scoots, and I knew that everything you said about me was right, about the cheating, about the fact that you might not accept what had happened and that I'd die from it, one way or another."

"Honestly, he was a wreck." Eravel said, rising another foot or two. "He couldn't think straight, and every time he looked up there was something there to torture the crap out of him." Eravel paused. "Look, I can't say I know how you feel about this, or what you think about what he did. But at least take it from me that if he'd have denied that lotus, I don't think he'd still be alive. And besides that, all he's done has been to kick himself about it day in and day out." Eravel sighed, raking a talon through his feathers in annoyance.

"Look," The griffin continued, "What I'm trying to say is, for something that he had so little control over, he's more than sorry enough to make up for it. Any punishment you think he might need, trust me, he's already done to himself."

Dash was silent for a few moments. "I- I'm not sure what to say," She began, tears dripping down her cheeks. "Jason, I-" she paused. "Jason..." She said, waving a hoof in front of his face. He still wasn't accepting her love, and whereas before it served to make her feel that she was somewhat in the right, it now just made her worried.

Eravel was right, and she knew he was telling the truth. Dash knew that to at least a small extent she would've reacted the way she did no matter what Jason said. She just felt angry at the world for all it had thrown at the two of them, and besides Twilight last night, Jason had been the second target. But she knew that in a way she couldn't always blame herself for these things. She could forgive Jason and everything would smooth out. Trust, it seemed, was turning into a commodity that could only become increasingly rare, and she planned to hold on to what she had.

"What the hell is wrong with him?!" Eravel yelled, shaking Jason by his shoulders.

"I-" Dash began as all other thoughts faded, trying to throw her love at Jason by this point just to elicit a reaction. Something changed abruptly and Jason's stubborn blocking of her love reversed. The ambient hive mind that seemed to float around her disappeared away from her perception, reverting back to love that Jason could use. Dash's legs trembled slightly, the sudden change putting her off balance. Jason fell backwards, his eyes wide open as the usual slow, almost unnoticeable pull of Jason on her love turned to something resembling a vacuum. It felt as if she was being pulled a little from every side as a cold sensation started to spread in from her hooves. She let out a short yelp of fear, the only thing she could think to do at the moment. But as quickly as whatever he'd done had started, it ended. She let herself collapse, breathing heavily as she tried to get her train of thought moving again.

Dash slowly got up and walked over, far too confused to let out more than the residual tears she still had. Her love was flowing in the right direction at a normal speed as Jason moved again, one of his legs shifting stiffly. He rolled to one side as a few more twitches went through his limbs and Dash jumped slightly. The blue of his retinas had been replaced by an emerald green, a slightly hazy green glow floating around him before dissipating, seeming to absorb into his skin.

She stood over him for a moment, trying to decide what to do. After a split second she made her decision, flopping down and pulling his back to her chest gently. His hind legs bucked out slightly, back arching briefly. Dash couldn't be sure what she'd just experienced, although to tell the truth she didn't really feel any worse for wear now that it was over. If anything she felt somewhat better, seeing as the shock of whatever that was had pushed away any thought of her grief or rage. It had come back a little, but a contented feeling had seemed to arise to counter those, keeping them as simple ghosts of their previous intensity.

"What- j-just happened?" Jason asked, slurring his words slightly and looking down at his hooves. One spasmed to one side, and he quickly brought it back into position. Where previously he had felt hunger, there was a nice feeling of at least having something to run off of, that he wasn't feeling that same burning pain of hunger.

"I thought you'd be able to tell me." Dash replied, squeezing her hooves around his midsection .

"Does this-" He started, craning his neck around as a tear slid from his eye. "Does this mean that-"

"Yeah." Dash replied, nuzzling into his neck as his leg twitched against her. "I'm not saying I'll be able to let things snap all the way back to normal immediately, but I can't say that you wanted any of this. If there's any forgiveness that should be given for cheating, well, you've got it."

Jason opened his mouth to say something but only a squeak came out, his eyes brimming with tears as he squirmed around in her arms to face her. He opened his arms as wide as they went, almost getting around half of her chest as he tried to hug her, gibberish coming out of his mouth as tears of relief flowed from his eyes.

"Love you Jason." Dash said with a giggle, striking at his mane.

Jason nodded in response, trying to clear his throat as he wiped his eyes. "Love y-you too." He replied, his voice hoarse.

"Yes!! I told you, Rumble! I knew they wouldn't ever break up like that!" Came a voice from above, as they all looked up and Scoots quickly pulled her head back over the side of a cloud.

"Scoots, get down here!" Dash yelled, beginning to laugh. Before she knew it Jason has joined in, the air of sadness on his face seeming to evaporate as the filly landed and struck a heroic pose. She proceeded to check her flank for a cutie mark, before sighing and looking back at the other three.

"Not even for helping you guys, huh?" She asked, Rumble landing awkwardly behind her as the filly's expression changed to an angry one. "I hope you know how un-funny that was, guys. I don't know what I'd do if you two broke up, and I was stuck having to choose one or the other of you, or whatever happens in that scenario." She said, looking down at the ground sadly. "Just- can you promise me it won't happen?"

"I can now, Scoots," Dash began with a grin, reaching out and pulling the filly over with a hoof. "Or you can wait until tomorrow and we'll make it official." She let out a giggle at the open-mouthed expression of Jason, poking him lightly on the nose with a hoof. She felt happy, not that it was really an emotion she had expected to feel. That wasn't to say it wasn't welcome, but as soon as that thing had happened with Jason it almost felt like whatever had occurred had made her lose her train of thought long enough to actually realize how much better things were.

Eravel was no longer MIA and she could honestly say that she still loved Jason. Maybe that was it, no weird love stuff about it. She could lay back and say that they'd won one, no ifs ands or buts about it.

"So, tomorrow?" Jason asked, still looking somewhat shocked.

"Why, getting nervous?" Dash asked, smirking at him.

"No, I just- you sure? I thought you'd be mad or something, at least a little."

"I'm sure of two things, Jason. I still love you, and I don't think that there's anything by now that can hope to change that. Us delaying something that's inevitable as far as I'm concerned doesn't really help anypony, and I'd rather just let things get back to how they were, grudge free. It's not like I enjoyed the past couple days, and I just want to get as far away from that as I can. The best way to do that, I think, is by returning things to how they were originally." She paused, grinning slightly. "You know, when we first fell in love, without the distractions of everything swirling around?"

Jason only nodded, his voice cracking on the first word he said before he simply gave up. Dash pulled him gently to his hooves, nuzzling him on the cheek as she did. "So on a lighter note, or maybe heavier depending how you look at it, how's the whole love thing going?" She asked.

"G-good, I guess. Whatever happened a minute ago helped, to say the least. I'm guessing you don't know what happened there either?"

"I-"

"What just happened!?" Another voice yelled as Evening, now a white pegasus with a blue mane, rose past the cloud, double taking as she saw Eravel. "Hey, you're alive!" She exclaimed, flying over and giving the griffin a tight hug. As soon as she broke off the changeling's expression changed, more to one of annoyance than anger.

"You've definitely been helpful these past few days, Evening." Dash said sarcastically before the pseudo-mare could begin.

"Yeah, well- There was this cute stallion, alright! It's hard living around here and not getting distracted by all of the love. By the way, it wasn't much of a help when I suddenly got a bunch ripped out of me like that!"

"Ah." Jason said.

"Yeah, the same thing happened to me, although I guess it doesn't really matter that much seeing as I create love." Dash continued, before turning back to Evening. "Just let it go, it's not like he did it on purpose."

"Well-" She stopped, pulling in her wings and landing on the cloud despite a jealous look from Eravel. "What exactly happened?"

Dash didn't respond immediately, taking a moment to gather her thoughts. "He stopped being responsive, and then he moved all of the love and his eyes turned green. Then there was the fact that even then there was a haze around him and he kept twitching."

"Really?" Evening asked, furrowing her brow. "Never thought I'd see that one with my own eyes. I guess I still didn't, but- you know, close enough."

"What?!" Dash asked, getting a little more worked up than Jason would have thought she would.

"Dash?"

"Look, you've got a lot of catching up to do, Jason." She said, squeezing him to her side reassuringly. "You were saying, Evening?"

"Yeah, well something like what he did, it forms from the hive mind as a kind of failsafe. How it used to work, before Chrysalis of course, was that families and so forth could support themselves over longer distances if one of them ended up becoming seriously low on love. Sometimes that would kill the other ones, if they were all in the process of starving, but given the fact that there was an entire city of changelings that usually didn't happen. From what I could tell, anyway."

"So I did that?" Jason asked, looking around somewhat nervously. "How come Scoots wasn't affected?"

"Probably has something to do with her age. Changelings don't get much control over any part of their own hive mind until they mature, and I can assume it works similarly when you try to connect with her. It's an imperfect link." She paused. "Anyway, that system is only really used for Chrysalis as a failsafe. Makes her really hard to kill if she can just pull all the love she needs from other changelings."

"So it doesn't mean that I'm like- going to kill any of you inadvertently, right?" Jason asked, his eyes sticking to Dash.

"With Dash in this thing, no. I'll just make sure to stay stocked up on love. It's the least I can do, really, given the fact that you saved me in the first place. Just don't take it for granted, kay?"

Jason grinned, hugging his stubby arms around the mare's neck. "Thanks, Evening."

"You're welcome. Now listen, I kinda have to get back to the date you stole me away from, and I'm pretty sure that I'm on thin ice with this guy, considering the way I've been late the last few times." She said, not really looking particularly worried. "But you know, it's not a big deal when you can just move on. I don't envy you, Jason." She finished, hopping off the cloud and diving towards the ground below.

The wind rustled through her mane, the cool of the winter air feeling nice against her fur. A few seconds later she was landing, light clopping noises barely sounding out as she touched down. She put on a worried expression, before running off in the direction of the restaurant she'd been at earlier.

"Sorry about that, I-"

"You know what? It doesn't matter." The stallion across the table said, wiping his mouth with a napkin before he threw it down on the table. "I don't know why I kept believing you when you said you were sorry about being late, you clearly don't care about me, or this, or anything as far as I can tell!"

"No, I-" Eh, a week was pretty long anyway.

"You can't just expect to pay no attention to me and expect to..." His voice trailed off in her mind, blocked off as she started to focus on his toned form. Maybe she was missing something by ending this. "You aren't even listening!" He exclaimed angrily, turning with a snort. "Goodbye, Rain." He said, putting some bits down on the table and leaving.

Evening shrugged, rubbing her stomach and smiling slightly as she sat down and leaned back in her chair. She wasn't sure how Jason went through all the love he did, she could get by just fine on the junk from dates like these, without even trying for something more. She probably should, but it was so easy to just find another guy and bat her eyelashes. Like that one right there, she thought, getting up and trotting out into the street towards a red stallion that looked like he could buck over a house. She let her colors change slightly, something that could be called a trick of the light to any onlookers.

"Hey there, big guy." She said, trotting next to him. "Need any help with that?" Evening asked, pointing to the bags of stuff he had hanging all over his back. As if he would need help to carry a train.

"No, thanks. Ah'm fine with carryin' this much." Ooh, an accent.

"You sure? Don't want to get as pretty a coat as yours all sweaty." Evening continued, giggling.

The stallion grinned slightly, although he didn't immediately respond. Eventually, he spoke. "Ah haven't seen ya around here before, what's yer name?" His eyes flickered back to her flank, which she wiggled slightly. "And why haven't ya got a cutie mark?"

Shit. She looked back, noticing that it was definitely missing. Ooh, this didn't make things easy. "I don't know." She began, forcing tears to well up in her eyes. "I don't like to talk about it."

"Woah, Ah didn't mean ta cause ya grief." He responded, looking guilty.

"Yeah, it's okay." Evening replied, wiping an eye. "My name's Eve-" Damn. "Eve, by the way."

"Pretty name for a pretty mare." The red stallion finished, making her heart flutter. Shit. He gave her a quick wave as he split away from her, walking down a path towards the apple orchard. "Ah'll see ya around!" He yelled back a few seconds later.

Evening turned around quickly and began walking towards Lyra's house, trying to make sense of what she had felt when he'd given her that compliment. This was just another material act, like what she usually did. It had to be, she couldn't feel things for these ponies, that was unprofessional. But Jason did it so well, and he seemed happy.

The mare only shook her head, speeding up. She didn't want to be stuck to some other pony like he was, she wanted options, and more importantly the ability to hide who she was more easily. She didn't like how she looked, normally. At least, not in the presence of ponies. They looked at her with that condescending gaze that she hated, or even with just a look that made her feel ugly.

Evening didn't want to start anything like this, like an actual relationship, but she couldn't deny to herself that something was different here. He'd responded to her coquettishness almost as if he was the one teasing her, and that was much different from the other stallions that had mostly blushed and acted awkward. Maybe she was just bad at choosing? No, those had all been great choices. This one was faulty, and she didn't want it to continue. It was already too much work, and she definitely didn't want to feel grief when they broke up.

Evening skidded to a halt and rang Lyra's doorbell, standing outside for a moment before the other mare opened the door. Evening sighed, her mouth opening and closing again. "Lyra, you're a pony." She finally said bluntly.

"I am." The aquamarine mare responded, giggling.

"I need to talk to you about ponies. And- emotions thereof."

Lyra chuckled, ushering Evening inside. "It's about time you realized you don't know everything."

__________________________________________________________

"So, you were supposed to get me caught up on stuff?" Jason asked, nuzzling into Dash's neck as the two of them shared a bed once again. Scoots had gone off to do something with her friends, and Eravel had simply wanted to continue flying around. Dash couldn't blame him, seeing as he'd suddenly got his flight capabilities back.

"Yeah, I'm not sure if it'll ruin the mood but alright." She paused. "We've got the wedding tomorrow, and speaking of that Ferris brought in his rings the other day. I like the inscription."

"What- what inscription?"

Dash giggled. "Oh, you'll see soon enough."

"Fine." Jason mumbled in response, drawing her a little closer.

"Then we ended up tracking you, and for that spell to work I needed to grab that old piece of hoof from when it was... cut off. But when I was there what's his face-"

"Bob?!"

"The soul magic guy?" She asked, watching him nod his head. "You named him-" She broke into a fit of laughter. "Whatever. Anyway, he was really cryptic about why he targeted you in the first place. All he said was something to the extent of 'he made himself a target, being like that.' I didn't know what that meant, until we actually tried to track you down. Zecora ended up looking at the tracer thingy and saying herself that it wasn't a normal soul."

"Not a- what?"

"Yeah, that's what I said. But with more yelling and crying." She looked to one side sadly. "I was a little frayed last night." Dash paused, letting out a long sigh. "I don't know what it means, but you feel fine, right? Er, nothing seriously different?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Alright, I'll just push that out of my mind..." She replied, pulling up a mental checklist. "So, you were training yourself at night?"

"You found out about that?" Jason asked, looking somewhat nervous. "I just didn't want you to worry about it."

"I would've come with you, even. It doesn't worry me."

"Yeah, see... I wanted to keep it secret for a few reasons. Not that I didn't think you'd keep a secret, just- I dunno, I wanted to just think while I worked on stuff. Then there was the fact that to the rest of the population, I kinda- learned some things that could help us, but nobody will really see it that way..."

"Like what?"

"I'll show you when I'm stronger." He replied. "And feel like I have enough energy to go back to normal. Getting this much bigger is kind of annoying."

"Yeah, and it's not as if it would go over well if other ponies saw me kissing a foal."

"No, I would suppose not." Jason chuckled. "But I'll tell you the other reason I didn't tell you, and you specifically."

"Oh yeah?" She asked, her ears perking as Jason grinned.

"Let's just say I started checking off the list of things I wanted to do to you when we're, say, in the mood. This whole changeling and magic combination is actually pretty agreeable."

"Ooh, I like what I'm hearing." Dash replied with a giggle. "It's about time."

"Hey, I'm not a magicy sort of guy." He replied, jumping as Dash pushed a hoof into his stomach and he burst out in laughter.

"I might just be willing to move up my forgiveness if you keep on like this." She joked, hearing Jason's laughter only increase.

"Glad to be back." He said, sobering quickly as he nestled his head beneath her chin.

"I hardly thought I'd say this, but even after all the stress and tension, this kinda almost makes it all worth it." Dash responded squeezing him against her form. "You know, I think Pinkie wanted me to meet her to get some stuff figured out."

"You think she'd care if we missed it?"

"As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't ever scheduled."

"Ooh, we're such baddasses." Jason mumbled, waving his hooves around.

"We've got to keep a reputation here, Jason."

"Obviously." He replied. "They can deal with us missing one thing in a history of being on time."

"Heh, yeah." Dash giggled, staring up at the ceiling. "Plus, I wouldn't mind a little cuddling and chatter for a while. It's so calm, I think I'm actually starting to like it."

"What do you mean?"

"I used to hate it when things were really quiet, especially when we were trying to be all stealthy. Even back when I was just flying around here and doing whatever with weather, I either slept when I was out of stuff to do or flew around. That's where the pranks came in, but now it just- I don't really want it to end. If I just laid here all day and neither of us said a thing, I'd probably be happy."

"I think the funniest part about all this is the way it's changed the way we think." Jason replied, clamoring onto her chest and worming himself into her fur. "I'm in the same boat as you with inaction, but then again, it's not as if we had each other when we were bored."

"You mind if I get to sleep, Jason?" Dash asked, feeling him let out a silent chuckle.

"I'm so wrecked I probably wouldn't care if you decided to start shooting off fireworks in here."

"So a no, then?" Dash inquired with a giggle.

Jason barely nodded, his fatigued expression on such a little body making her giggle as she leaned her head back and put a hoof around Jason's midsection. For the first time in forever she felt like she hardly had a care in the world, like the guys still out there were just insignificant specks. How she felt- it was a feeling that she couldn't really remember having to such an extent in, well, forever.

She wasn't really sure why she felt the way that she did, but maybe it was because for once things seemed to a partial conclusion. She had closure, a soon to be husband, and it seemed as if from beginning to end of this little adventure she'd actually gained something that was set in stone. There were no loose ends from the war that she still cared to tie up, and the feeling of finally realizing that coupled with the warmth of Jason against the slight winter breeze, well...

She couldn't think of anything that even compared.

Author's Note:

Evening side story? Thoughts on that one? I don't know when it would really get done, but you know. Evening just isn't that important of a character anymore and I don't really want to see her go.

Can thank a couple of comments for having this work out the way it did. I like it better now, so thanks.

I will take a little part to explain something about comments. Me actually responding to them should in no way be taken as proof that I've seen the comments. I see all of them, and I try to mention the fact that I used them as best I can when the next chapter comes out. That said, everything that gets mentioned by you people will not be used. I don't have a flexible enough storyline to put in all of the great things you people come up with, or necessarily implement entire ideas. But hopefully people look at this and go "Hey, I suggested that!" and then throw a massive celebration. Or just sit back and grin a little, either way. With that said, feel free to throw ridiculous ideas my way, because I suppose no one really knows the way the story is headed.

But on another note, this site seems to be beginning to go the way I thought it would go at some point. I mean, there's been a rule where you aren't supposed to post chapters that add in something like a sequel link or an update, and when it comes to updates on hiatus and stuff, I agree that those shouldn't be new chapters. But since this was a site blog post and people actually decided to stand up for themselves, they got hurt in the long run. I kinda agreed with it, but some moderator ended up deleting a bunch of chapters from some guy's story because of an argument they had in the comments. Did the sequel update annoy you people, or was it a great help in finding the new story without having to look around my user page? I'm pretty sure it was the former, and the fact that the mods are acting like children kind of marks a point that all sites seem to meet where them trying to improve things actually annoys people. I guess I can hope they don't make things really bad, but if they get terrible I'm not sure how strong my resolve is to stay here. If they start deleting my crap, I'm moving this elsewhere. There's a thing called digression. They should use it correctly.

PreviousChapters Next